Thread: Asia Pacific Sitting Group

Asia Pacific Sitting Group

Hello everyone!

The title's pretty self-explanatory. So let's discuss the logistics:

Below are the time zones, locations, plus Treeleafers based there (please add yours if you don't see it or make corrections)

UTC+ 5:30 Pune (Santosh)
    UTC+ 7:00 Jakarta (Bryson)
    UTC+ 8:00 Philippines (Tiwala, pinoybuddhist)
    UTC+ 9:00 Japan (Jundo, Taigu)

Anybody else near us? I haven't seen any recent posts by Tiwala, but I can send him a pm.

Also: where to meet in virtual space

We have Skype and Google plus, and of course Insight timer. Of the three I've found Insight timer to be the easiest to set up, though of course, we won't be able to see each other. We can still chat though.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Gassho,
    Rafael
    #sat today
    Last edited by pinoybuddhist; 11-16-2014 at 10:26 PM.

Japan is UTC + 9... Not that there would be an expectation the the teachers would be joining in this session, no...?

Gassho,

Bryson

​sat today

Quote Originally Posted by Bryson Keenan View Post
    Japan is UTC + 9... Not that there would be an expectation the the teachers would be joining in this session, no...?

Gassho,

Bryson

​sat today
    Hi Bryson,

I usually try to stay out of some activities around here. Leave it to other folks.

Gassho, J

Sat Today
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Hi Bryson,

I usually try to stay out of some activities around here. Leave it to other folks.

Gassho, J

Sat Today
    Most certainly

Gassho,

BK

sat today

Quote Originally Posted by Bryson Keenan View Post

Gassho,

Bryson

​sat today
    Oops! You're right. Fixed it. And no, I don't really expect the teachers to be joining. Still, they are in the Asia Pacific region, and knowing the different time zones makes for a handy point of reference for figuring out schedules.

Gassho,
    Raf
    #sat today

Hi all,

I think it's great to have region specific sittings, but don't forget that someone's morning sit can be an evening sit for someone in a different part of the world, so I'd just suggest mentioning what time it would be in some major cities around the world. And with night owls and early risers, you never know when someone might have 30 minutes to sit!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Sat today

Good point there, Dosho. Knowing the different time zones of the areas will really help, but some people like me sit early mornings, some in the afternoon, etc.

I'll ty to come up with an informal survey some time soon.

Gassho,
    Raf
    #sat2day

Raf,

I think Dosho makes a valid point, that you might not be considering fully. A morning sit in the Philippines, could be an early evening sit for someone in New York. Which is why including a few timezones from around the world can help others see if they could sit with you. Example, if you do schedule early morning for your sitting group say 5 a.m., I might be able to join you because it would be around lunch time for me.

I found this http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meeting.html to be very helpful when scheduling international meetings.

Gassho,
    Kathryn

Sat Today

In fact, given that there is 4 1/2 hours difference between Pune and Davao, it is probably MORE likely that there is someone on the OTHER side of the world who can join in an opposite-time-zone session (i.e. your morning, their evening - or vice versa)...

Gassho,

Bryson

sat today

Like Shokai?
    I see his invites on 11:30 UTC+1.
    Should be early morning for some of you?

Gassho,
    Danny
    #sattoday

Hello,

Tears of joy with the playfulness of a distinction of time.

Don't know . . . how 'bout . . . now?

Good fun. Thank you.

Gassho,
    Myosha sat today
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Yes, it is true ... we are not limited by geography, and have all kinds of time zone possibilities in this place. Someone's night is someone's morning.

Gassho, J

SatToday
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Hi guys thanks for your feedback. We'll take that into account when scheduling a sit. Thanks for the link too Kathryn, that will definirely come in handy.

Gassho,
    Rafael
    Sat today

Okay, for those who are based in the Asia Pacific region (that is, anywhere between India and Japan) as well the neighboring areas: what time do you prefer to sit?
    A. Early morning
    B. Late morning
    C. Early afternoon
    D. Late afternoon
    E. Early evening
    F. Late evening

Personally I sit everyday around 5:30 in the morning, but scheduling a sit at 5:30 am Davao time would mean that Santosh in Pune would have to wake up at around 3 or earlier in the morning.

I'll be posting more time zones from all over the world, not just within Asia later.

Gassho, Raf who sat today