Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Treeleaf Global Service Days: October 20th-November 2nd, 2014

Mp

Treeleaf Global Service Days: October 20th-November 2nd, 2014

Welcome to the Global Day of Service for October 20th-November 2nd, 2014

Hello everyone, our next Global Days of Service period is upon us!

As we approach our next days of service period there will be some of you for whom this is the first time you participate, feel free to view the experiences in past threads of those who have gone out into the world to serve. For others this will be the second or third time that you are being asked to serve your community. If you are feeling stumped on how you may be of service please take a look at some past Global Day of Service - Project Ideas and maybe some inspiration will come up for you.

The idea of a two-week period is to give Treeleafers as much flexibility as possible in scheduling their day of service and at the same time try to create some community and momentum as we work and support one another in relieving the suffering of others in the world.

Also, if you wish to share anonymously please PM myself and I will post it for public viewing within the forum thread.

For some it will be an uncomfortable experiment, for others a welcomed challenge. Either way please know there is no pass or fail the important part is to try and perform your activity with a kind and sincere heart. Whether that be helping someone in your community, picking up trash in your local park, writing a pen pal letter, cleaning a dirty diaper, or donating money to a family or organization in need if done with loving kindness there is no difference, no separation.

Please share your experiences here, I'm particularly interested in knowing how the experience and meaning of service has changed for you over time. Thank you again everyone for your time and effort during our Global Days of Service Happy Sharing! =)

.................................................. .................................................. ..

Many thanks =)

Gassho
    Shingen
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-21-2014 at 04:13 AM.

Let me repost this message from our previous Global Service Days ...

------------

We are pleased to commence our latest GLOBAL DAYS OF SERVICE initiative here at Treeleaf, April 12-26 2014. We will be asking each and all of our Treeleaf folks, in some way, to spend a day making their communities, the lives of others, this world a bit better. This is a chance to live the Virtues of Generosity and Giving, and our Bodhisattva Vows to Aid All Sentient Beings.

Please look for additional information, and ideas for activities suitable for you, in the ENGAGED & CHARITABLE PROJECTS CENTER of our forum here.

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/forum...Global-Service

Please join in and do your part.

In fact, this is part of the "donation" we ask of you for participating in Treeleaf. Our Sangha is Freeing, but not Free ... and while we do not impose any required fee for our activities here apart from voluntary donations, we do ask EVERYONE to roll up their sleeves and do something to help those truly in need. Please consider this a mandatory charge! Thus, I am going to ask every single person sitting in our Sangha, without exception, to join in this. This is not simply a matter of writing a check (though that is good too), but rather we will request "hands on" work of some kind taking a day or much of a day. Include the whole family, the kids, and make it a family event! No one type of activity will be required, although some activity is required of you, and there will be an activity suitable for each and all of you to choose, something for everyone despite busy schedules or physical limitations. There is always a way to help.

And here is a bit more on this from me, a talk I gave before our first Global Days a couple of years ago ...

Thank you for coming together on this Initiative to Serve!

Gassho, Jundo

PS - Some words of Bikkhu Bodhi on Engaged Service which I posted yesterday ...

Buddhism's Call To Action
    http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...Call-To-Action
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-21-2014 at 03:59 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Wonderful. Thank you Shingen and Jundo. I am going to give some thought on what I will be doing. I will report back soon.

Gassho
    Bobby
    🙏🙏🙏

Thank you all for keeping this rolling along. Gassho
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

This year I really need to do something...will need a day or two to reflect on what exactly..... that is completely outside my usual zone of activity and social safety. Will report back.

Gassho Daizan

Joyo
    Thank you, Shingen. I am already thinking of ideas, but will report back in a bit also.

Gassho,
    Joyo

Thank you Shingen.... time to think what to do

Gassho
    Thank you for your practice

Gassho

Shugen
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Hello,

A needful 'seasoned-citizen' is having basement water incursion threatening the foundation.

The plan is to implement a drain/sump system.

When it succeeds, it'll be reported a success.

When it fails, it'll be reported a success.

Gassho,
    Myosha
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Nindo
    I signed up to volunteer for a youth group meeting over the Halloween weekend, but they haven't got back to me yet what they need. I hope it'll work out.

Joyo
    -be kinder to my kids, more patient and spend a bit more quality time with them

-be a volunteer at my local animal shelter, taking some dogs for a much-needed walk

-make sure my bird feeder is full as it is getting cold here and the little creatures need food to stay warm

-give more than the minimum donation at my karma yoga (yoga for charity) Saturday morning class

-continue to be a servant to the disabled kids that I work with as they need help with so many things

-take my kids shopping for food to donate to our local food bank

Gassho,
    Joyp
    Last edited by Joyo; 10-21-2014 at 04:47 PM. Reason: spelling mistakes :)

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Myosha View Post
    When it succeeds, it'll be reported a success.

When it fails, it'll be reported a success.
    Ahh true practice in its making and in its draining. Good luck on the endeavor. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Joyo View Post
    -be kinder to my kids, more patient and spend a bit more quality time with them

-be a volunteer at my local animal shelter, taking some dogs for a much-needed walk

-make sure my bird feeder is full as it is getting cold here and the little creatures need food to stay warm

-give more than the minimum donation at my karma yoga (yoga for charity) Saturday morning class

-continue to be a servant to the disabled kids that I work with as they need help with so many things

-take my kids shopping for food to donate to our local food bank

Gassho,
    Joyp
    Wow, quite the list of some great ideas Joyo ... now, which one calls to your heart? Only need to take on one this practice period, but thank you as yo I have given us some wonderful and supportive ideas. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Joyo
    Oh, I did not realize that. I will spend some time thinking about it and focus on one of these.

Gassho,
    Joyo

Ever since we managed to hire househelp, I've been neglecting our pet turtle Midori - except for the occasional "hello". So I am going to make it up to her by getting her a new, bigger tank (which she really needs because she's getting bigger) and doing some interior decorating.

I'll also be donating old books to anyone and everyone in the community I work in - be it my colleagues, the local chapel, or the schools. Though I'm honestly just a teensy bit nervous about giving away my old wicca and pagan books to a mostly Christian community.

Gassho,
    Raf

Hi guys!

This is one of my favorite times of Ango, when we also do the Service Days.

For this one I'll be donating to a couple of charities and the usual stuff: hosting web sites for non profits and teaching kids English. Maybe I'll go clean up the park I go running, if weather permits.

I'll let you know how it all go.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Hi All,

I will be participating as staff for a "mini-ParaOlympics" for disabled kids and the elderly in our town.

I am also working on building a kind of small sports park in our town and, while I cannot make that totally free for people who come, I am going to make it accessible in design, free or very low cost for folks with disabilities and the elderly.

Gassho, J

Mp
    Hello everyone,

First off, thank you all for your input and effort ... this is a wonderful practice that benefits ALL sentient beings. =) For me, I had a friend who's dog almost died because of eating some garbage while out at the dog park. I have spoken with her and we are going to together with other dog walkers that frequent the park and do a clean up. Keeping our furry four legged friends safe and healthy. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Can we invite other people outside of Treeleaf to participate in their own way? I plan to post an invitation with a link to our Global Service Day blog via my own blog, which will be posted on my Facebook and Google+ accounts. Since we're on the subject of blogs, I noticed that the Global Service Day blog has been inactive. You guys need an extra blogger? I've been blogging fairly regularly on WordPress (just don't ask me to do anything too esoterically tech-y).

Gassho,
    Rafael

This will be in addition to the ideas I posted above, as well other activities that I still have to think about.

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by pinoybuddhist View Post
    Can we invite other people outside of Treeleaf to participate in their own way? I plan to post an invitation with a link to our Global Service Day blog via my own blog, which will be posted on my Facebook and Google+ accounts. Since we're on the subject of blogs, I noticed that the Global Service Day blog has been inactive. You guys need an extra blogger? I've been blogging fairly regularly on WordPress (just don't ask me to do anything too esoterically tech-y).

Gassho,
    Rafael
    Hello Rafael,

Thank you for the question ... can you elaborate on your idea with inviting others outside Treeleaf? Are you planning on getting together as a group?

I think getting others involved is a wonderful idea as I am doing the same thing with a local dog walking group. They are not Treeleaf member's, but that is ok as I feel working together as a community has greater impact - It brings us all together and slowly removes those boundaries of separation ... as we all are working for the same common goal-less goal. =) Let me know how things go Raf as I am interested to see what you folks come up with.

Also, thank you for the heads up ... I am looking into our Global Day of Service website. Will keep you posted. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Hi,

I'm going to start a program to teach basic photography and post-production skills to people who are socially isolated and likely suffering from emotional and/or physical disabilities. I've known this project to have been done successfully in retirement homes, but I want to reach those in small apartments wasting away with cable TV. Taking a page from Treeleaf, it's possible to teach through YouTube, online tutorials, and readings. Then it's a matter through guided exercises of encouraging people to venture out beyond their safety zones into the world. Many images are available in a short walk or even in ones room or through the window. There is great joy in seeing through the lens of a camera then developing that frame -- making a picture from a photo, turning a snapshot into a piece of beauty, creating art. And working together through email -- shaping an image -- can be a wonderful way to connect, establish a relationship. Of course it's not for everybody, but I'm hopeful that for some it can add zest to monotonous days. A little light.

Gassho
    John
    Last edited by Meishin; 10-22-2014 at 03:18 PM.

Hi Guys,

I was asked a question about the kind of volunteer work recommended, so thought to answer here.

Unless someone has a physical or health limitation that limits their abilities to travel from home or the like, we strongly encourage and ask for "hand on" projects helping human beings where possible ... such as handing out blankets to the homeless, working in a soup kitchen, visiting an elderly shut-in, or the like. Next, we encourage "hands on" projects in your town, such as planting flowers in an empty lot, cleaning up a park, or the like. Get out there! If one wants and needs, there are also many good projects online if one is limited in travel for health or like reasons, but we encourage actually getting to meet and have interaction with the folks receiving aid (which is also sometimes possible online too).

If someone is already volunteering someplace each week, it is possible to dedicate a day of that as one's service, but please try to put some special energy into the work during that day, or add some extra activities.

Donating cash and items is a wonderful thing, but we are hoping for that "hands on" aspect.

Let's get out there if we can!

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 10-23-2014 at 03:15 AM.

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    Hi,

I'm going to start a program to teach basic photography and post-production skills to people who are socially isolated and likely suffering from emotional and/or physical disabilities. I've known this project to have been done successfully in retirement homes, but I want to reach those in small apartments wasting away with cable TV. Taking a page from Treeleaf, it's possible to teach through YouTube, online tutorials, and readings. Then it's a matter through guided exercises of encouraging people to venture out beyond their safety zones into the world. Many images are available in a short walk or even in ones room or through the window. There is great joy in seeing through the lens of a camera then developing that frame -- making a picture from a photo, turning a snapshot into a piece of beauty, creating art. And working together through email -- shaping an image -- can be a wonderful way to connect, establish a relationship. Of course it's not for everybody, but I'm hopeful that for some it can add zest to monotonous days. A little light.

Gassho
    John
    This is a wonderful idea John! Being a photographer myself I see the value and personal expression this art can bring out in us. Wonderful to see you doing this. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Hi Shingen,

I was thinking more along the lines of sending a general invitation for others to do their own global service day - because who knows what may happen? Whoever reads it may respond with passing interest that quickly fades into indifference, or they may be inspired to participate in their own way, come up with eir own ideas for global service day. For all we know, global service day could someday be as viral as the als bucket challenge - or maybe not, stranger things have happened.

Although, now that you've mentioned it, coming together as a group is also a good idea. In fact, I just came up with an idea to form one (though hopefully our work will go far beyond the global service day period). You see, I found out last night that someone broke into my next door neighbor's house the other night and made off with 42,000 pesos (that's about US$ 950). That's the second time it happened to them this year. Thing is, I heard that they are hardly home: they're all either at work or in school, and nobody's home until late at night. In fact, last night it was raining hard and I looked out my window and noticed their gate and front door lights were still off. No wonder the burglars like their house! Poor visibility, nobody around, no dog, no alarm - what a great target!

So it occurred to me this morning that I can organize a neighborhood watch group. We can actively look out for each other and come to each other's aid. And it's not just crime but also other kinds of emergencies like medical, fire and earthquake. I've got contacts both in the local red cross and the fire department, and Central 911's headquarters is just a ten minute walk away... my head is spinning with the possibilities. Anyway, my first step is to organize a meeting with the neighbors and do some brainstorming.

Gassho,
    Raf
    Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    Hello Rafael,

Thank you for the question ... can you elaborate on your idea with inviting others outside Treeleaf? Are you planning on getting together as a group?

I think getting others involved is a wonderful idea as I am doing the same thing with a local dog walking group. They are not Treeleaf member's, but that is ok as I feel working together as a community has greater impact - It brings us all together and slowly removes those boundaries of separation ... as we all are working for the same common goal-less goal. =) Let me know how things go Raf as I am interested to see what you folks come up with.

Also, thank you for the heads up ... I am looking into our Global Day of Service website. Will keep you posted. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Hi Shingen,

I was thinking more along the lines of sending a general invitation for others to do their own global service day - because who knows what may happen? Whoever reads it may respond with passing interest that quickly fades into indifference, or they may be inspired to participate in their own way, come up with eir own ideas for global service day. For all we know, global service day could someday be as viral as the als bucket challenge - or maybe not, stranger things have happened.

Although, now that you've mentioned it, coming together as a group is also a good idea. In fact, I just came up with an idea to form one (though hopefully our work will go far beyond the global service day period). You see, I found out last night that someone broke into my next door neighbor's house the other night and made off with 42,000 pesos (that's about US$ 950). That's the second time it happened to them this year. Thing is, I heard that they are hardly home: they're all either at work or in school, and nobody's home until late at night. In fact, last night it was raining hard and I looked out my window and noticed their gate and front door lights were still off. No wonder the burglars like their house! Poor visibility, nobody around, no dog, no alarm - what a great target!

So it occurred to me this morning that I can organize a neighborhood watch group. We can actively look out for each other and come to each other's aid. And it's not just crime but also other kinds of emergencies like medical, fire and earthquake. I've got contacts both in the local red cross and the fire department, and Central 911's headquarters is just a ten minute walk away... my head is spinning with the possibilities. Anyway, my first step is to organize a meeting with the neighbors and do some brainstorming.

Gassho,
    Raf

Mp
    I agree and think it is a great idea ... keep the flow going. =)

This too is a great idea to keep and eye and support the ones around you ... but please do be careful and not to do anything that would put yourself or your neighbours in danger.

An idea too would be to help raise some money through a bottle drive, car wash, etc to help replace anything that got stolen during the robbery. This way they too can be a part of moving forward and maybe moving past any fear they might have over that event. Just a thought. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

I am considering what my service will be, but wanted to add a note here to commit myself to taking part in this endeavor.

Gassho,
    Matt J

Ansan
    I don't know if this counts as a "day" of service, but I just signed onto a 7-month commitment to a very worthwhile project as a reading tutor for children. Arizona has a referendum that states if children cannot pass the reading proficiency test from the 3rd grade, they will be held back. Volunteers are needed to assist these children in learning to read and comprehend so that they can continue their education without the discouragement of being held back. Being a volunteer does require 5 hours (2 separate days, with 4 students, on a one-to-one basis) a week for the school year. It also requires a one-day seminar to understand the parameters of the program. The only requirement is that the volunteer must be a high-school graduate. This is being sponsored by AARP, ASU and Experience Matters. If anyone is interested, I will be glad to post a contact name.

Ka

Quote Originally Posted by raytash View Post
    I don't know if this counts as a "day" of service, but I just signed onto a 7-month commitment to a very worthwhile project as a reading tutor for children. Arizona has a referendum that states if children cannot pass the reading proficiency test from the 3rd grade, they will be held back. Volunteers are needed to assist these children in learning to read and comprehend so that they can continue their education without the discouragement of being held back. Being a volunteer does require 5 hours (2 separate days, with 4 students, on a one-to-one basis) a week for the school year. It also requires a one-day seminar to understand the parameters of the program. The only requirement is that the volunteer must be a high-school graduate. This is being sponsored by AARP, ASU and Experience Matters. If anyone is interested, I will be glad to post a contact name.

Ka
    Yes! Lovely! "Day" is sometimes not merely a 24 hour period, or measured by the clock.

Gassho, J

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Yes! Lovely! "Day" is sometimes not merely a 24 hour period, or measured by the clock.

Gassho, J
    Yes Ka ... I also agree with Jundo, this is a wonderful idea, thank you. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

I'm heading down to the "Daily Bread" foodbank. It is the main foodbank for Toronto, heavily used and always needing help. They say they need hands-on help in a number of ways, so we'll decide when I get there...and set up a schedule for the next week. It's a good time to forget myself and pitch in.

Gassho
    Daizan

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Daizan View Post
    I'm heading down to the "Daily Bread" foodbank. It is the main foodbank for Toronto, heavily used and always needing help. They say they need hands-on help in a number of ways, so we'll decide when I get there...and set up a schedule for the next week. It's a good time to forget myself and pitch in.

Gassho
    Daizan
    Yes Daizan, that is a good point ... food banks and such organizations are great places to let a hand, as there is more then one area you can help. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

I've met a new neighbor in the last two weeks. He seems to be a lonely, older gentlemen who likes to talk to whomever walks past him as he sits on his porch watching the birds. My boys and husband's first thought was that "he is weird". After talking with some of my other neighbors, the consensus is that he may drink a little too much alcohol at times, but he seems kind, lonely and harmless.

I want the boys to learn that they need to extend compassion and not judgement...so I think we are going to cook something for him and deliver it to him. I'm thinking homemade vegetable soup and some cookies. We will see.

Our leaves are falling by the hundreds in our neighborhood and most people are raking and blowing daily. We may also offer to rake his yard as he cannot walk very well anymore.

We are also planning our neighborhood trash walk to pick up anything we see at the park down the street and around the homes.

Gassho,
    Jinmei

Ansan
    Quote Originally Posted by KellyRok View Post
    I've met a new neighbor in the last two weeks. He seems to be a lonely, older gentlemen who likes to talk to whomever walks past him as he sits on his porch watching the birds. My boys and husband's first thought was that "he is weird". After talking with some of my other neighbors, the consensus is that he may drink a little too much alcohol at times, but he seems kind, lonely and harmless.

I want the boys to learn that they need to extend compassion and not judgement...so I think we are going to cook something for him and deliver it to him. I'm thinking homemade vegetable soup and some cookies. We will see.

Our leaves are falling by the hundreds in our neighborhood and most people are raking and blowing daily. We may also offer to rake his yard as he cannot walk very well anymore.

We are also planning our neighborhood trash walk to pick up anything we see at the park down the street and around the homes.

Gassho,
    Jinmei
    Hi Jinmei,

Years ago, when we first moved into an historic neighborhood, there was a older, very crotchety man who seemed to be disliked by other neighbors. He was 84 at the time. We got to know Jim (who loved to talk and tell stories too) and found a wonderful friend. We helped him with what he needed and he brought us much happiness. He died at 92 and he resides in our hearts. Your commitment is lovely.
    Gassho,
    Ka

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by KellyRok View Post
    I want the boys to learn that they need to extend compassion and not judgement...so I think we are going to cook something for him and deliver it to him.
    Jinmei,

Again you have given such a wonderful teaching. Not only to be loving and compassionate to the ones right here right now, but to our younger generation ... so that they may carry on these wonderful qualities. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Hi all,

As some of you know I started working at my youngest son's school as a cafeteria aide. So, really I decided to volunteer everyday. It is difficult work and many people quit after a few months I'm told. So, I am pledging to keep at it every day. I will also try to take the boys out to clean up some nearby trails.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Quote Originally Posted by Dosho View Post
    Hi all,

As some of you know I started working at my youngest son's school as a cafeteria aide. So, really I decided to volunteer everyday. It is difficult work and many people quit after a few months I'm told. So, I am pledging to keep at it every day. I will also try to take the boys out to clean up some nearby trails.

Gassho,
    Dosho
    Wonderful!

Gassho, Jishin

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Dosho View Post
    Hi all,

Gassho,
    Dosho
    Wow Dosho ... a room full of screaming hungry kids, yikes!!! A thankless job, but a very important one - so thank you! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Yugen
    I have been working on island cleanups with Maine Island Trail Association again this season. My youngest son and I will be volunteering as well at the Midcoast Hunger Prevention Program this autumn and holiday season.

Shingen, deep bows to you for organizing this effort. It takes a lot of work and inspiration. Thank you.

Deep bows
    Yugen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all,

There is a soup kitchen associated with the church we occasionally attend. I will volunteer there if I can't find anything that I can do with my sons ( They are not old enough to help at the soup kitchen)

The Global Service Days are a wonderful way to take my practice off my cushion.

Gassho,

Shugen
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

I guess it's part of practice too, having people say "no thanks" when one offers service. I just keep putting it out there and holding on to the intention.

Gassho
    John

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Yugen View Post
    I have been working on island cleanups with Maine Island Trail Association again this season. My youngest son and I will be volunteering as well at the Midcoast Hunger Prevention Program this autumn and holiday season.
    Quote Originally Posted by rculver View Post
    There is a soup kitchen associated with the church we occasionally attend. I will volunteer there if I can't find anything that I can do with my sons ( They are not old enough to help at the soup kitchen)

The Global Service Days are a wonderful way to take my practice off my cushion.
    Thank you everyone for such wonderful service, ideas/inspiration, and support for this practice and all sentient beings ... it truly warms my heart. =)

Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    I guess it's part of practice too, having people say "no thanks" when one offers service. I just keep putting it out there and holding on to the intention.
    So true John ... not everyone is open or willing to accept help. Even in those times we can help by warmly, respectfully, and with a smile accepting their wish for no help. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

I just thought to post this. Many groups and organizations sponsor similar days and programs among their members and the public, so we are not alone ...

Millions volunteer for Make A Difference Day
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...newstopstories

Gassho, J

I just want to let you know I sent out an invitation to take part in Global Service Day via my blog Zen, Music, and Movement, which automatically posts on my Google+ and Facebook accounts. Who knows who might be inspired to take part? And Shingen, thanks for updating the site - I saw it just now. Sorry I wasn't able to get back to you via pm. And if you need help in blogging there, let me know.

Gassho,
    Rafael

I have decided that I am going to be cleaning up around my neighborhood and around some parks in my community. Some of the litter in the area I am finding to even become dangerous to animals, pets and young children. My son has been going to the park a lot lately before it gets too cold outside and one can't help but see the garbage, broken glass, etc everywhere. And I had a recent experience where a friend of mine had a dog who passed away from possibly eating something that was possibly some sort of litter. So reading your post Shingen about your friends dog made me think about the similar thing that happened recently to my friend and has also inspired me to make this my day of service. I will be embarking on this most likely this coming up Monday or possibly Tuesday. Thank you so much to everyone who is dedicating time to help our world and others any way that they can. Deep bows to all of you.

Gassho
    Bobby
    Last edited by Bobby; 10-26-2014 at 04:11 AM.
    🙏🙏🙏

This is embarassing, but I'm having difficulties finding something.

I've looked for volunteer work in my area, but they are looking for people who have time during the day on a regular basis, for school lunch, helping the elderly, fund raising at the zoo.
    Due to my work and commuting, I can only do something on weekends or later in the evenings.
    I'd like to do cleaning, but to my astonishment my city seems to be doing quite a good job there!

I've had two ideas now:
    The first is to build an insect hotel, maybe for wild bees.
    I can imagine building different sizes and asking friends who have a garden to put one there.
    I've been wanting to do that for a longer time, I think they are fascinating.

The second idea is very unlikely to succeed, but would make such a difference if it did.
    I know a little boy (great kid) who needs to follow the same medical keto diet as me.
    Those of you who might know low carb high fat bakery will know that the dough is very sticky.
    I don't care if my cookies are flattended balls of dough.

But for children, it is tradition to cut out cookies for Christmas.
    And for this boy it would really make a difference to have a cookie dough he can eat, and to be able to cut out cookies himself, along with and same as the other kids.

His mum has tried and failed, but I think I'll dedicate some time to the experiment.
    (Should someone happen to have a recipe - please PM me...)

Gassho,
    Danny

Mp
    I just want to let you know I sent out an invitation to take part in Global Service Day via my blog Zen, Music, and Movement, which automatically posts on my Google+ and Facebook accounts. Who knows who might be inspired to take part? And Shingen, thanks for updating the site - I saw it just now. Sorry I wasn't able to get back to you via pm. And if you need help in blogging there, let me know.

Gassho,
    Rafael
    I saw this Rafael ... wonderful, thank you. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby View Post
    ... I had a recent experience where a friend of mine had a dog who passed away from possibly eating something that was possibly some sort of litter.
    Much metta to your friend Bobby ... It is wonderful to see you out there helping to ensure that others don't have to face such tragedies.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny B View Post
    But for children, it is tradition to cut out cookies for Christmas.
    And for this boy it would really make a difference to have a cookie dough he can eat, and to be able to cut out cookies himself, along with and same as the other kids.
    This is a wonderful idea Danny. Helping kids is dear to my heart - for me it is hard to see people suffering, but when children suffer, I find it extra hard.

Gassho
    Shingen

Quote Originally Posted by Danny B View Post
    This is embarrassing, but I'm having difficulties finding something.

I've looked for volunteer work in my area, but they are looking for people who have time during the day on a regular basis, for school lunch, helping the elderly, fund raising at the zoo.
    Due to my work and commuting, I can only do something on weekends or later in the evenings.
    Danny,

It's funny I have spent several hours this week searching for places to volunteer and have run into the same problem. Or many places have an orientation to go through before you can volunteer, so you have to wait.

For me for now, I'm going to stick to my commitment to make knit/crocheted items for charity. I have several sets of baby booties and hats done, but I have stopped working on them recently because more fun projects caught my eye. So I will commit to going back to stitching one item every evening.

Also while it won't happen during the correct time period, I will turn in my application and wait for orientation to become a volunteer at the local animal shelter.

Gassho,
    Kathryn

P.S.- Danny, bees are super fascinating. If you do build a hive box for them don't' be surprised when you end up with lots of hives! I know from personal experience.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast