Thread: My article about shikantaza

My article about shikantaza

A couple of months ago, I posted a draft of an article I wrote for the general public about shikantaza. It's now available on my website:

http://www.mcelhearn.com/?p=8989

Gassho,

Kirk
    流文

I know nothing.

Hello,

Thank you for the link.

Gassho,
    Myosha
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Mp
    Very nice Kirk, thank you. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Thank you Kirk, I will read it later today

Gassho, David

Thanks Kirk,
    I found it clear and straightforward.

Gassho,
    Walter
    Gassho,Walter

Thank you.

Gassho,

Risho

Lovely! Lovely!

One line I will mention, just because it might be confusing to some folks.

Try to watch your thoughts as though they’re clouds in the sky ... Notice how your thoughts are ephemeral: they arise, they take center stage, then they fade away.
    I believe you mean this "try to watch" and "notice" as a general statement of what is happening, not that people should be sitting in Zazen "noticing their thoughts" during Shikantaza as in some other forms of meditation. If I was your editor , I might just take the words "try to watch" and "notice how" out of that paragraph ...

Treat your thoughts as though they’re clouds in the sky. You may look at clouds, watch them move by, but you never forget that behind them is the clear, blue sky. Your thoughts are ephemeral: they arise, they take center stage, then they fade away. Once you realize this, you understand that all your thoughts can just fade away if you let them. Don’t try to push them away, neither stir them up, and simply let them move on on their own.
    That is my 2 cents.

Gassho, J
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Lovely! Lovely!

One line I will mention, just because it might be confusing to some folks.

I believe you mean this "try to watch" and "notice" as a general statement of what is happening, not that people should be sitting in Zazen "noticing their thoughts" during Shikantaza as in some other forms of meditation. If I was your editor , I might just take the words "try to watch" and "notice how" out of that paragraph ...

That is my 2 cents.

Gassho, J
    Thanks for that. I've made the change.

Gassho,

Kirk
    流文

I know nothing.

Thank you.

Good on you for spreading Dharma Kirk!

Gassho
    ~ Please remember that I am very fallible.

Gassho
    Meikyo