Thread: Robe question

Robe question

I have a question that I've been meaning to ask... and now, reading more about kesa and robes, it's probably a good time. I have a robe which I purchased online (a lay robe). It's the style used at Rochester Zen Center, if that helps. I never learned whether to fold it or hang it... so I hang it. Does anyone have thoughts or recommendations? And if it should be folded, are there instructions somewhere on how to do it? Thanks.

Gassho, Entai

泰 Entai (Bill)
    "this is not a dress rehearsal"

Mp
    Hey there Entai,

Have you seen this illustration https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-P...daietatami.jpg or https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Z...0daieryaku.jpg it might give you an idea on how to fold. =)

Gassho
    Shinhen
    Last edited by Mp; 08-30-2014 at 02:59 AM.

Nindo
    All the people I met in the MRO sangha (Daido Loori, Roshi) left their robes hanging in the cloakroom of the zendo. Of course this might have been for purely practical reasons ...

Gassho,
    Nindo

Thank you for your input! The folding seems a little bit complicated, but it might be a good practice in itself! That said, I think practicality may win out!
    Gassho, Entai

Mp
    Entai,

I too asked the question about folding my robes and yes there is the more complicated way. Jundo also said the most important thing is to show care and respect for your robes ... so if you want to hang them ore fold them, up to you. =)

But, I also might be wrong on this so also see what Jundo or Taigu say on this topic. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

I did a little search and, while nothing for folding a Koromo, this is this on how to fold an Aikido Keikogi (Dogi). Although it is in Spanish, this is about the most elegant and best I found and is perfectly understandable. The garment is shorter, without the long sleeves, but will give you a very good sense of the care needed, and how to follow the folds and lines. For the long sleeves and such, you should be able to just add the steps shown in the pictures that Shingen provided.

Because it is quite a process, it is also a form of Zazen ... requiring Diligence, Attention and Patience. Nothing to achieve, no right and wrong ... yet we work to do it right!

But, when not travelling and if using their garment each day, it is fine to hang it. Even so, folding once in awhile will help maintain the shape for the long term.

Gassho, Jundo
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Jundo,
    Thank you. I don't wear it every day, typically once a week for Zazenkai. I think I'll incorporate the folding into that as well. Thanks again.
    Gassho, Entai

泰 Entai (Bill)

This video show how to fold a long sleeve Japanese Kimono, which is basically of the same design. Even though in Japanese, the Japanese tend to teach such things by visual observation anyway, more than words, so you should be able to follow if attentive.

A bit more intricate way ... (aren't her movements so graceful!)

Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-30-2014 at 11:56 PM.

Let me just add one thing ...

One certainly does not require a lay robe in order to Practice or sit Zazen (although some folks find that such accoutrements help place them in a certain sacred mood). One can Practice just as well in a comfortable set of sweat pants. In fact, one does not need the Koromo robes that the Priest wears in order to Practice.

Nishijima Roshi, who was often seen in both the formal robes of a Soto Zen Priest or in a business suit (with Kesa), would sometimes say that our wearing traditional robes is just dressing up like "old Chinese people in the Tang Dynasty".

BUT, if one will wear robes ... best to fold them right!

Gassho, J

Last edited by Jundo; 08-31-2014 at 12:54 PM.

I don't wear it all the time, but I don't burn incense all the time either. I find that sometimes the act of putting it on helps to quiet, or prepare my mind for sitting. The video instructions were very helpful. Thank you!

Gassho, Entai

泰 Entai (Bill)