Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT & DISCUSSION: A New Structure for Treeleaf ...

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT & DISCUSSION: A New Structure for Treeleaf ...

... and Introducing the 'Blue Mountain White Clouds Hermitage' ...

Dear All,

On Buddha Mountain, there are numerous good Paths.

On a recent thread, I posted this …

I find that some folks ... need the pomp and ceremony, incense and costumes, mystery and dance as a doorway to the Teachings. That is fine, and such is what religions have relied upon across the centuries: The grand cathedrals and gold temples, the arcane ceremonies and language and ritual objects. Many faithful need priests, intoning mystical formuli, to conduct the way. That is good for those who need, and such is the doorway that is right for such folks.

But I also believe that the profound Truths of this Buddhist Paths are all around us, and that the most ordinary aspects of our lives are just as sacred. Free of all the above, the Power of these Teachings manifests just as forcefully ... with every blade of grass a Cathedral, your home a Temple, the daily activities of our lives a "sacred ritual" when known as such. We are each priests in our way when realized in priestly behavior. The t-shirt and jeans we wear now are a sacred "Kesa" in a Buddha's eye. Such knowing of the "ordinary miracle" of this life is a doorway for other folks.

So, in the near future, this Sangha will offer each of these Paths to those called such way. Individuals so suited may choose to walk one, or choose to walk the other or (perhaps the wisest course) to walk each for a time when suitable to their needs. They may even choose other Paths to combine with these (I, Jundo, would like to offer a Practice with less overtly religious elements ... and free of many superstitious beliefs and fairy tales ... and would like to continue to emphasize a way of Zen Practice that anyone ... Christian or Jewish or Muslim, Atheist or Agnostic ... might find open to them, for I truly believe that there is nothing incompatible in this Practice with any of that if someone's heart and mind is open. All good Paths.) In fact, the religious pomp and circumstance of "Buddhist Religion" ... the statues and robes and ceremonies ... can interfere with some peoples' abilities to understand and feel at home in the Practice ... even as, for others, all that is their gateway.

Different Right Paths, each suited to different feet perhaps ... but one Mountain.

Taigu will now have his Practice Place, named by him the “Blue Mountain White Clouds Hermitage”. There, Taigu will teach in his style. The Community will be open to all from Treeleaf although, in my understanding, for a smaller group of students accepted by invitation, people with whom Taigu can work more privately. He writes …

… the new place is called blue mountain white clouds hermitage, it is about to open soon. We will emphasize shikantaza practice, ceremony practice as well as kito, sewing and sewing again, koan study ( no man practice except with Dainin Joko) art practice ( every member will have to take art practice) ... the possibility to explore and put to effective use other styles of practice (lojong practice, mantra recitation...) ... we will also work actively to relieve suffering in the world through action. Non profit community , I will be acting as a spiritual authority and guiding teacher but, in our retreats, other teachers will effectively teach, I will remain in the back seat. Two retreats a year, winter and summer, one in the States and one in Europe. Numerous retreats and zazenkai on line. Daily zazen offered. … We would [be] a brother sangha to Treeleaf … There will be no forum like [found at Treeleaf] but active communication and lots of meetings on skype. Treeleaf guys are most welcome but for outsiders membership will be given upon interview.
    Treeleaf will continue as before, although primarily under my [Jundo's] guidance. Our Forum will continue as it is ... open to all, both "Beginners" who are at the beginningless beginning and "Beginners" well down the roadless road. I will continue to offer many of the Traditional Practices now offered (Sewing and Oryoki will continue here as before), although I would also like to offer other avenues which are more secular and suited to modern times, where the bells, robes, myths and incense are not always visible or necessary. At Treeleaf, I also want to continue to emphasize a Practice and role of Lay-Priest which fully embodies our roles as both Priest and Lay People, clergy who are also fathers and mothers and workers, where one person might fully actuate one or both as the situation calls, with our homes, offices, city streets, charitable and social responsibilities as our “monastery” of Practice. For example, I shall continue to ask folks to sew a Rakusu for Jukai (Undertaking the Precepts, absent special circumstance), and anyone may further sew and wear a Nyoho-e Kesa in that Tradition when receiving permission to do so from a Teacher. But there will also be forms of Training where the Kesa is not involved at all, for certain folks who do not find their Dharma Gate there. It is a great experiment, and we will see how it goes.

Communication will continue between our tents, with Taigu a frequent visitor here and always available to us at those times where he can offer his gifts and special insights which we Treasure. I hope I might offer something to his group as well, if there are times I might. Most importantly, we hope that there will be a well worn path between the two places, such that our students and the teachers will wander back and forth, learning from each what is to be learned.

Someone said that Taigu and I are sometimes like two chefs cooking soup … one flavoring it one way, one flavoring it another. I believe this is so. In turn, the best course is to brew up two kettles, so that students can learn the secrets of and savor each, perhaps the taste of one more or less suited to some folks. Furthermore, the True Taste is in both nutritious recipes. The same hearty ingredients can be combined in a variety of ways, each delicious!

Someone once commented that Taigu is more Traditional and I (Jundo) more Reformist. Well, I would say that, these days, most Teachers are both Traditional and Reformist ... finding new expressions of Buddhism and Zen to suit modern times. I would describe the differences between Taigu and me as tiny on a sliding scale, and Taigu quite the relative modernist himself ... a fact made clear at recent "Homeleaving" Priest Ordinations held by Taigu where one of the Ordainees briefly caught his Kesa on his wedding ring, and others thanked their wives and kids for their constant support before catching planes back home!

Someone said that Taigu and I are making two separate temples or caves on two separate mountains. I quickly corrected that, noting that we are teaching from two places that are really United and Whole, found side by side on One Mountain … whereby students may wander back and forth and avail themselves of what is offered in each. We are not dividing this community. Quite the contrary, we will stay together, walking together, and are merely diversifying the Teachings offered. The below image, of the inquirer traveling from the temple below to the cave above, may be what we have in mind.

I hope I have conveyed the sense of what is to occur. If there are any questions (I am sure there will be), please let us know and Taigu and I will do our best to address them here.

Gassho, Jundo

Last edited by Jundo; 08-31-2014 at 01:13 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Interesting and exciting! Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Dharma unfolding. All is good. Great name.

Kind regards. /\
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Hello All,

oh, here is impermanence again. This is reassuring:

...we are teaching from two places that are really United and Whole, found side by side on One Mountain … whereby students may wander back and forth and avail themselves of what is offered in each. We are not dividing this community.
    Nothing can divide us. No separation. Many happy wishes for the Blue Mountain White Clouds Hermitage

Gassho
    Lisa

Two thumbs up. One for Jundo. One for Taigu.

Gassho,
    Juki
    "First you have to give up." Tyler Durden

Yes, very interesting! I look forward to wandering through the mountains and clouds and back again.

Gassho,
    Jinmei

May Blue Mountain White Clouds Hermitage thrive. May Treeleaf thrive. May global Sangha in the new medium grow and thrive.

Gassho
    Daizan

Interesting

Gassho
    Bobby
    Just Sit

Mp
    Thank you Jundo and Taigu ... whether walking different paths up the mountain the blue sky covers us all. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

Gassho,

Shugen
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Hello,

Thank you for the lesson.

Gassho,
    Myosha

P.S. What is the image depicting? Thank you.
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Manjusri wields the flaming sword of wisdom and cuts through delusion. Avalokitasvara hears the cries of all beings. Not two!

Deep bows.
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Hi,

I am honored I can be part of this. Thank you for the opportunity to practice with both dear teachers.

If I can be of any help on this transition, you know I'm here

Double Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Quote Originally Posted by Myosha View Post

P.S. What is the image depicting? Thank you.
    An appropriate image of different flavors and cultures of Buddhism meeting on a sacred Buddhist mountain and strengthening each other:

That is actually an old drawing of a legendary Indian-Tibetan saint, Padampa, said to have visited China's famous Buddhist Mountain Wu Tai Shan spreading his Teachings, in an encounter with the Bodhisattva Manjusri (who is traditionally said to reside at Wu Tai Shan) disguised as a sage.

One of the first historical figures who may have directly linked Tibet and Wutai shan was the South Indian adept Padampa Sanggyé (Padangba Sangjie, 帕當巴桑结, d. 1117), founder of the Pacification of Suffering [Chöd or "Cutting Through the Ego"] tradition, who was said to have traveled in China and lived on Wutai shan for approximately twelve years from about 1086 to 1097, before returning to Tibet to found a monastery. ... It is said that today’s visitors can still see a record of Mañjuśrī meeting Padampa at Wutai shan and a stone door panel (dogo lek) of Padampa’s meditation cave there.

http://www.thlib.org/collections/tex...#ixzz3Bhe8VlTk
    Interestingly, in one esoteric oral tradition of Tibetan Buddhism, a version of Dampa Sangye's life-story has him travelling to China and teaching there for 12 years, where he was known as Bodhidharma the founder of Zen!

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Y...&q=bodhidharma

Here is a little description of Tibetan Chod Practice, although my personal understanding is that of an outsider to the Tradition ...

Chöd is a special type of mysticism that unites shamanic practice with profound yogic meditation.

Chöd has long been a way of seeking direct and personal experiences of mind and divinity outside of conventional and institutional frameworks.

In Chöd-practice, the yogi or yogini journeys into the night world—the dangerous regions of ghosts, spirits and the damned, to bless all souls lost for a time on the wheel of existence. The selflessness of the practitioner's compassion, his or her contact with spirits of the other-world, and the making of himself into a vehicle of healing, all tends to become a path for the hero to win the noetic Mind-Jewel of true awakening.

Chöd is a practice that combines Buddhist meditation with ancient Tibeto-Siberian shamanic ritual. The "liturgy" of Chöd is sung to the accompaniment of drum, bell and a thigh-bone horn. The word "Chöd" means to cut through, to "chop," and what is chopped off is ultimately the Ego. Initially this begins with cutting all attachment to the body and to material things. When identification with the finite mind-body complex is let go of, then the pure awareness is set free to perceive reality as it really is. The whole world becomes potent as a place of blessing power and awareness. ... Chöd therefore is a subtle blend of the Buddhist path to enlightenment (as represented by the Mahamudra-master Dampa Sanggye) brought from India, and an ancient form of Shamanic ritual (introduced by the woman Machig Labdrön) that was native to Tibet. It was the merging of these two streams which resulted in the actual emergence of Chöd as a practice used by yogins today, in their desire to gain Enlightenment by the shortest possible path.
    http://www.dharmafellowship.org/library/essays/chod.htm
    And that is likely more than you needed or wanted to know.

Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-28-2014 at 04:24 PM.

Thank Rev. Jundo!

Gassho,

Mike
    To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
    -Dhp. 183
    My Practice Blog

Most interesting. I will most definitely visit this new hermitage, though my heart rests here in Treeleaf 😊.

Gassho,
    Scott
    Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk
    Forever is so very temporary...

Cool beans! May the path between the singular two be well worn
    --Washu
    和 Harmony
    秀 Excellence

"Trying to be happy by accumulating possessions is like trying to satisfy hunger by taping sandwiches all over your body" George Carlin Roshi

Thank you for the update Jundo. Two roads up the mountain, still only one we walk. I am grateful for the teachings of both yourself and Taigu. I am interested to hear more about the Lay Ordination or is this what already happens in Shukke Tokudo?
    Gassho Heisoku.
    Heisoku 平 息
    Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)

Sangha is infinitely bigger than whatever labels we may attribute to it. Treeleaf, Blue Mountain...not two.

Much love,

Baizan
    We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.
    ~Anaïs Nin

Very interesting. Moving forward may we all find the path we need.
    Gassho
    C

Dear sangha,
    No coming and no going. As this place and its teachers and the friendships here have been dear to me, I will not be a stranger ... and please, don't be a stranger, too. See you around! ;-)
    Deep bows to you all,
    Myozan

To all in this wonderful and dearest place.

We come, we stay, we go with no coming, no staying, no going. We are all present here and we are all present there. Where is here, where is there but where we are.

Deep bows and much Love

Taikyo

Lovely.

Nice new website (www.bluemountainhermitage.org) Looking forward to visiting you in the future,

Love and Gassho,
    David

Gassho Sangha and wise teachers!

I am very glad to witness this mutual respect and kindness even in face of some adversity. It gives me great hope and great happiness to see that the well of Dharma can satisfy different thirsts and that no ill feelings are harbored as a result. Grateful to be on this journey with you.

Dear Jundo:

"I would also like to offer other avenues which are more secular and suited to modern times, where the bells, robes, myths and incense are not always visible or necessary."

"But there will also be forms of Training where the Kesa is not involved at all, for certain folks who do not find their Dharma Gate there. It is a great experiment, and we will see how it goes."

I wonder if you could elaborate on this. What are these new secular and modern avenues and what new opportunities await?
    I am very interested to know more because I share this perspective and Practice with it.

Gassho
    ~ Please remember that I am very fallible.

Gassho
    Meikyo

Thanks for the link, David.

Beautiful website design.

Gassho,
    Danny

Quote Originally Posted by Aske View Post

Dear Jundo:

"I would also like to offer other avenues which are more secular and suited to modern times, where the bells, robes, myths and incense are not always visible or necessary."

"But there will also be forms of Training where the Kesa is not involved at all, for certain folks who do not find their Dharma Gate there. It is a great experiment, and we will see how it goes."

I wonder if you could elaborate on this. What are these new secular and modern avenues and what new opportunities await?
    I am very interested to know more because I share this perspective and Practice with it.

Gassho
    Let's find out together! Let's see how this develops. You are welcome along for the ride.

Gassho, J

I will be here.

Gassho
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Hi guys,

We are still building the new website. We ll let you know when it is ready ( should be very soon).
    As it has been said, you are all invited to visit us when ever you feel like it.
    I shall post soon let you know about our directions.

Gassho

Taigu

As of checking it out a few minutes ago, the new website looks nice.
    This whole "division" is interesting and I am curious to see how things change.
    Such is practice.
    AL (Jigen) in:
    Faith/Trust
    Courage/Love
    Awareness/Action!

I sat today

The new website will focus solely on practice and study. Teachings will be available in French and English. There won't be a forum per see like in Treeleaf but space to positively contribute to teachings. Taikyo is going to start soon a seminar in Buddhist philosophy, Dainin, Myozan and I will teach on forms, and our clear intention is to offer daily sittings soon as well as retreats on line. Sewing will be central and I am planning to make vids on kesa sewing.
    Although I will act as a guiding teacher, and effectively teach in Teishos and vids, I will gradually invite teachers to emerge and I will take the back seat.
    Here, in the Hermitage, we practice tradition. Not tradition because it is exotic, but because we want to handle what had been given as is without any stain ( modern take, New Age, opinions or like here in Treeleaf, the search for simplicity and truth).
    Our way to practice simplicity is to totally surrender to tradition and understand its deep and real meaning.

Gassho

Taigu

Mp
    Wonderful Taigu, I look forward to it. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Thank you dear Taigu. Deep bows to you, Myozan, Dainin, Taikyo, Dokan, and Daido.
    Gassho,
    Sekishi
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanLa View Post
    This whole "division" is interesting and I am curious to see how things change.
    Zen "division" ...

1 ÷ 2 = One = MUUUU! = All the Myriad Things and Endless Possibilties!

Gassho, J

Dear Jundo and Taigu,

Thank you for offering this interesting turn!

Gasho

Vincent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ongen (音源) - Sound Source

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Let's find out together! Let's see how this develops. You are welcome along for the ride.

Gassho, J
    Thank you Teacher! May peace and prosperity be with all in their Practice endeavors.
    ~ Please remember that I am very fallible.

Gassho
    Meikyo

Thanks Jundo and Taigu. This new structure has already inspired me to examine my direction in Buddhist practice and studies. One of the things I will be doing is studying the Pali scriptures. Also, I'll be sitting more.

Kind regards. /\
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Thank you for the update.

Gassho,

Shugen
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Looking forward to this opportunity.

Gassho, Entai

泰 Entai (Bill)
    "this is not a dress rehearsal"

I don't have much to add -- I'm of course excited for things to come but, I just wanted to express that from my personal experience here, I think that both Jundo and Taigu are marvelous teachers, and I'm just thankful for everything they've shared and taught me along the way so far.

Gassho,

Risho

I have great respect for both Taigu and Jundo, but I have long felt that the trappings of religion are not for me.

I look forward to following the path that Jundo will be forging in this new experiment.

Gassho,

Kirk

(Posted from my iPhone; please excuse any typos or brevity.)
    流文

I know nothing.

This is wonderfull!

The new website looks great.

Thank you Jundo and Taigu.

Deepest bows to all.

Gassho
    Mike

Very interesting. I look forward to this.

Interesting decision not to go with forums on the new site. If Dokusan is one-to-one, Teisho is one-to-many, Forums is many-to-many. A quicker and more effective way to spread knowledge. The downside though with this way of spreading of knowledge is that some of it can be incorrect (advice given by students to other students sometimes can be inaccurate and misleading) and can affect the student negatively.

Also will we have a link from Treeleaf main page and/or as forums sticky to the new website? I think that will help the new website to gain more popularity over time.

Gassho
    Sam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast