Thread: Re-reading zen books

Re-reading zen books

Hi all, some time ago I bought a couple of Zen books which I've read, but I would like to re-read them now with a little bit more contact with the zen practice.

I would like to know if there are any recommendations or facts to take into account before re-reading them.
    I mean something like Jundo's short comments on some of the recommended book list for the Treeleaf Sangha.

The books I refer to are:

Taking the Path of Zen by Robert Aitken Roshi and The Trésor du Zen by Taisen Deshimaru Roshi, both are published in spanish, which is my mother language and makes me feel more comfortable, although I've learnt english as a kid and manage myself through it rather well.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Gassho.

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by walter View Post
    I would like to know if there are any recommendations or facts to take into account before re-reading them.
    Hello Walter ... with me, an open heart; an open mind; a heart and mind of a beginner. Read them as though you have not read them before. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    Hello Walter ... with me, an open heart; an open mind; a heart and mind of a beginner. Read them as though you have not read them before. =)

Gassho
    Shingen
    Thank you Shingen - I like this very much.

Willow

Hi Walter,

Just read them slowly. Zen books are not novels, so it's better to read a chapter and then sit with that for a couple of days.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post

Gassho
    Shingen
    Yes, as Shingen said.

Aitken Roshi's book might sometimes speak of his Rinzai Practice, and their way of sitting Zazen, Koans to Kensho and such. Otherwise, just the same, same same. Every Lineage has its own little flavors, like various cooks making Gazpacho in their own way out of the same ingredients.

Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 07-30-2014 at 03:58 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE