Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: TRAVEL DIARY: DHARMA TRACKS Across AMERICA (7/16-8/26) & WASHINGTON RETREAT (8/9-14)

Hello all

It was so wonderful to meet with Jundo and his son Leon. We had a wonderful visit, and I think my whole family feels the loss that they are gone already. My son Michael was singing a song on the way back form the train station about how "Leon's gooooooooone". My wife Maureen is looking up the cost of plane tickets to Japan.

Though I was a bit disappointed that Jundo would not share the secrets of his levitation techniques, no rainbows or doves appeared over my house, or similar evidence of his spiritual power; I can honestly say that JUST SITTING was magical enough. Nengyo, thank you so much for making the drive up here to sit with us also. Thank you to everyone for making Jundo and Leon's trip possible.

Gassho

C

and I love the storms too because they remind me that storms define the quiet.. one exists to teach you of the other.. but in the middle is the bliss.

Thank you Clark and Jundo for letting me take part, it was fantastic. Also, I got to pet an awesome dog which would have made the trip worth it zazenkai or no zazenkai!
    If I'm already enlightened why the hell is this so hard?

Thank you for opening up your home Clark. It was a pleasure to sit you guys.

Gassho,

-Jeff

Zazenkai with Alan.R is beautiful Spartanburg, South Carolina and wherever you are now too ...

ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Mp
    Thank you Jundo, Alan, and all for sitting. Also Jundo thank you for the talk, I needed to hear that. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Thank you Jundo and Alan for sharing this. Jundo your talk was heart-wrenching, heart-opening.

Gassho
    John

Thank you Alan and Jundo. Hard to breathe with those lumps sometimes, but I have a 100% track record for making it through the day. Hopeful for all.
    Gassho
    C

Joyo
    I regret that I have missed out on all of these zazenkais with Jundo, as well as the retreat. My kids are keeping me very busy right now. I am glad you have all had such a lovely time together.

Gassho,
    Joyo

Nindo
    Hi Jundo, how are the ladies at home? Is Leon homesick yet?
    Wishing you well for your last stretch on this journey.
    Gassho,
    Nindo

Quote Originally Posted by Nindo View Post
    Hi Jundo, how are the ladies at home? Is Leon homesick yet?
    Wishing you well for your last stretch on this journey.
    Gassho,
    Nindo
    Yes, Leon is being very patient ... but not sleeping in his own bed, and missing mom's cooking, are starting to show.

Joyo,, you are along for all the ride.

Gassho, J

Joyo
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post

Joyo,, you are along for all the ride.

Gassho, J
    Thank you, Jundo. That means a lot as it's a bit difficult to miss out on all the lovely talks and practicing together.

Gassho,
    Joyo
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-20-2014 at 04:28 AM.

Just some photos from the last couple of days ... Clark and his great and diverse family (the look on my face is me trying to do a Selfie) ...

... our Alan R. (a fantastic cook!) and his wife (who rescues pets, plays the classical violin, was the school soccer coach and has many other great talents) ...

... and my chance to spend some time with my mentor, Zen Teacher Mitch Doshin Cantor. An Heir of the late Roshi Peter Muryo Matthiessen in Maezumi Roshi's lineage. Mitch taught me how to run a Western style Sangha (much of what we are doing at Treeleaf is borrowed from my experiences at Doshin's Sangha). Doshin gave me my first chance to lead groups and give Zen Talks after Nishijima gave me Transmission. Furthermore, he introduced me to something very much present in Western Buddhism but sorely lacking in Japan ... immersion in the diverse ideas of Buddhism. Now 79 years old, he lives with he wife here in the Carolinas much of the year.

Tonight, I will be off on a 4am train to meet Sydney in Mississippi. Thanks to Alan for giving me a life to the station at that hour.

Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-20-2014 at 04:27 AM.

Neat-o!

Thank you for sharing these, Jundo!

Gassho
    Lisa

Thanks, Jundo. Gassho
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Jundo; Thanks for the updates to your historical journey. I'm glad Alan was able to give you a life 😀And boy is that teacher of yours old, eh!!

gassho

gassho, Shokai, still learning the way and knowing nothing.
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

What a great experience to have this journey trough some of the Sangha's Worlwide Zendos

Gassho

Sent from Tapatalk 2
    Thank you for your practice

Yugen
    What lovely photographs, what lovely people, what a marvelous Sangha. We are all so fortunate to have one another.

Deep bows
    Yugen

Joyo
    Quote Originally Posted by Yugen View Post
    What lovely photographs, what lovely people, what a marvelous Sangha. We are all so fortunate to have one another.

Deep bows
    Yugen
    I agree, Yugen. These photos are so great, thanks for sharing with us Jundo!!!

Gassho,
    Joyo

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Yugen View Post

Deep bows
    Yugen
    A surely plus one this ... wonderful group of people! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Wonderful photos - wonderful tour, thank you so much for sharing Jundo.

Gassho

Willow

Some nature photos by my mentor, Doshin Cantor. Doshin took up the camera just a few years ago, and has quite the eye ...

http://listeningwiththeeye.squarespa...ureId=19474313

http://listeningwiththeeye.squarespa...ureId=17802070

More here ...

http://listeningwiththeeye.squarespace.com/

I am now in Jackson Mississippi with Sydney, by the way. I believe we will be having a Zazenkai in the morning at a time I will post soon.

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-21-2014 at 04:06 AM.

Our next Zazenkai is with Sydney (who turns out to be a HUGE Dungeons & Dragons Otaku), here in Jackson Mississippi ...

NEXT ZAZEN SITTING:
    THURSDAY August 21st: 90 MINUTE ZAZENKAI - New York 10:30am, Los Angeles 7:30am, London 3:30pm and Paris 4:30pm

Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-21-2014 at 04:16 AM.

Mp
    Thank you Jundo, I will be there tomorrow morning. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

I'll be there!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Our Zazenkai in Jackson with Sydney is here ...

Thanks guys...got disconnected a couple times, but always a wonderful sit!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Mp
    Thank you everyone for sitting ... its good to be home. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

I am not sure which version I like better, so post both ...

Now, off with Sydney for a day together ...

Gassho, J

Jundo,

haha, I saw that train coming it was already playing in my head!

Gassho
    Lisa

Thanks to all.

Gassho,
    Myosha
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Hello everyone.

Like others, I'll say a few words about Jundo and Leon's visit. Jundo and Leon arrived, around midnight, bleary and ready for bed; Leon may actually have been asleep on his feet. In the morning, we sat a Zazenkai, in which Jundo gave a profound and moving talk - frankly, I don't even remember all of it, except that it had me weeping and deeply moved. Shaken. Exactly what was needed. Not only was I fortunate enough to meet with Jundo and Leon, we also had lunch with Jundo's mentor, Doshin Cantor, a man of nearly 80 with the energy and passion of someone half his age. It was something to see the connection between Jundo and Doshin. We talked books, Jundo and Leon's travels, other little things, over lunch - I ran off to work at this point to teach a class. In the evening, my wife arrived home and we played video games with Leon, ate dinner together, talked about our lives and the beautiful and sad things of our little time in this big world. We just shared. Then just sat. It was like an old friend, or a long lost family member visiting, which is what we all are to each other, and Jundo embodies that. Then we drove to the train station at 4 in the morning (I forgot to make sandwiches for Jundo and Leon, a thing I wish I had remembered) so we stopped at an all night gas station with the town quiet and cooler.

I felt and still feel grateful, and so glad to be a part of this place and to be able to share with all of you.

Hope you're all well.

Gassho,
    Alan
    Shōmon

It sounds like you had a wonderful visit Alan, as many have. Thanks for sharing it.

Gassho
    Seimyo

明 Seimyō (Christhatischris)

Mp
    Thank you Alan for such a great expression of your experience ... I feel like I was there just through your words. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

You're words are beatiful, Alan.

What an amazing experience.

Thanks for sharing.

Gassho,
    Walter.
    Gassho,Walter

A trail of gratitude and teachings

Thank you all

Gassho
    Thank you for your practice

A couple of snapshots from a little bocce in the park during the Mississippi stop:

http://imgur.com/a/bg4gI

I've been working two jobs lately, and a little downtime with Jundo & Leon really hit the spot. We had plenty of quality conversation, food, and all those pleasant things.
    Diligently attain nothing. Sort of. Best not to over-think it.
    http://www.janxter.com/

Thanks Jundo and Sydney. Sydney may you always roll natural d20s. (It's a D&D thing)
    Gassho
    C

Mp
    Thanks for the photo Sydney ... I too love a good game of Bocce! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Nice Sydney!
    We call them "Bochas".

I didn't know the origin was Italian. It used to be very common here among the elders.
    There were a lot of retired people clubs with special fields for playing, with a special kind of soil, and a lot of tools to take care of it, a serious set of rules and so on.
    My parents in law have a weekend house which used to have one special space for bocce. I think many of these old bochas are still stored somewhere in that house.

Gassho,
    Walter

Well, I met up with Jundo and Leon this morning in my hometown of Chicago. We had a delicious brunch and then spent the day checking out the Art Institute and having a little sit here and there where we could. It was an awesome day but perhaps a bit exhausting for everyone with all the walking and the crazy Chicago humidity. It's funny, it was just like how Alan put it, like visiting with an old friend.

I'll post some pictures next week when I can.

Gassho

Jen

Wonderful, wonderful!

Gassho,
    Dosho

It was lovely to see and sit a bit with Nenka today. A selfie with her, Leon and a Bodhisattva over our shoulder ... at the Chicago Art Institute (where they have a fantastic Asian arts collection) ...

Gassho, J

Kyotai
    Thank you for sharing Jen.

Gassho, Shawn

Mp
    Wonderful selfie ... thank you for sharing. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Joyo
    very nice to see you all, thanks for the share!!

Gassho,
    Joyo

LOve seeing all the visit pictures of everyone!
    Gassho
    C

Great photos. What an epic adventure to undertake.
    If I'm already enlightened why the hell is this so hard?

Awesome!!! I miss Chicago sometimes.

Gassho,

Risho

Great photos to catalog a wonderful odyssey 😊.

Gassho,
    Scott
    Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk
    Forever is so very temporary...

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast