I am not the greatest in terms of consistently doing zazen. I miss at least once a month, often more than that. My reasons are various and weak. Whatever, I will never be one of those devoted Zennies that do zazen every day for years at a time, or even every day for a certain number of months at a time; I can't even survive an Ango period, so I don't even try anymore. Generally speaking, if there is one thing I am consistent on it is inconsistency, and that's not just zazen, by the way, it's pretty much a character flaw in all that I do.

That being said, I do recognize zazen as fundamental to my practice (I can't imagine my practice without it), but even more fundamental than zazen is how I try to follow the precepts and my vows that I took in 1/09. Whenever I get stuck in life, I try to see how my vows and precepts apply. I may not be able to settle my mind enough to do zazen, but my troubled mind does well working through my vows and precepts. And in that process I often find some sort of answer as to how to be a better Buddhist in my interactions with the world. Often, once I've settled things a bit with the vows and precepts I can get back to doing zazen.

This is just how it works with me, so it's a sort of confessional. I absolutely do not recommend this for anyone else. My flawed zen practice is wholly my own. Do not try this at home! I am a horrible teacher!!