Thread: June 27th-28th, 2014 Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai

June 27th-28th, 2014 Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai

Hello All,

Please 'sit-a-long' with our weekly FRIDAY/SATURDAY 'LIVE FROM TREELEAF' 90 minute ZAZENKAI, netcast LIVE from 9am Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 8pm, Los Angeles 5pm (Friday night), London 1am and Paris 2am (early Saturday morning)

... and to be visible at the following link during those times and sit-a-long-able any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST at GOOGLE+ IS HERE:
    CLICK ON THE TAB ON LOWER RIGHT FOR 'FULL SCREEN

FOR THOSE NOT ALREADY MEMBERS OF THE CIRCLE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, INSTRUCTIONS ARE POSTED AT THIS LINK. WE ARE NOW LIMITED TO 10 INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANY NUMBER CAN WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG VIA THE ABOVE SCREEN. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED:

00:00 – 00:15 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA in English) and Dedication
    00:15 – 00:45 ZAZEN
    00:45 – 00:55 KINHIN
    00:55 – 01:25 ZAZEN
    01:25 – 01:30 FOUR VOWS & VERSE OF ATONEMENT

As you can see, our Zazenkai consists of chanting the 'Heart Sutra' in English (the words are at the link below), some full floor prostrations in sets of three (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), followed by our Dedication, Zazen twice for about 30 minutes each, with 10 minutes of Kinhin in between, and we end the sitting with 'The Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'.

Please download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):

Chant Book (PDF)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML)

So, please join us as soon as you can, and we will keep a Zafu open for you.

Remember, when we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 06-27-2014 at 11:55 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

I'll be there with my bell ready

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

I will be there live.

Gassho,
    Juki
    "First you have to give up." Tyler Durden

Mp
    I too will be there live. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Will be there/here live .

Gassho
    Daizan

I'll be here.

Gassho,
    Dosho

This will be my first one. Hopefully I can get the camera on my laptop to work ;-P. Either way, I'll be there. Gassho, Scott
    Forever is so very temporary...

I'll be live 'one-way'.

Gassho
    Lisa

Thank you Jundo and Kyonin! Lovely Zazenkai. Thanks to all who sat live or who will sit later. Enjoy the weekend.

Gassho,
    Juki
    "First you have to give up." Tyler Durden

Thank you dear Sangha!
    Did not expect to see The Eye of Sauron there, awesome.

Gassho
    Lisa
    Last edited by Byokan; 06-28-2014 at 01:36 AM.

Mp
    Thank you Jundo and everyone, was great sitting with you all ... have a great weekend. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Thank you all, it was wonderful to sit with you!

"No EYE, ear, nose tongue, body, mind." Except for the big old psychedelic eye watching us. Glad you could make it Scott.

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Sekishi View Post
    Except for the big old psychedelic eye watching us. Glad you could make it Scott.
    The Giant Eye of Mordor!

Gassho
    Shingen

Thank you all!

Just to clarify what I said at the start ...

My cancer test was NEGATIVE which is positive, a good thing for cancer tests! Even though this Way is some Positive that transcends all human judgments of negative and positive (and sickness/health, life/death too!) ... nice to have some nice news. (It means I will probably be around a little longer ... unless hit by a bus in the meantime!)

Also, our daughter's high fever is down, thanks to the good doctors at our local hospital. Even though this Way is right through high vs. low ... good to have a low fever!

May you and yours be healthy and at ease in all one's ills too.

Gassho, J

Joyo
    Thank you everyone, I had to leave early, but it was nice to share the bit of time practicing with all of you.

Gassho
    Joyo

Thanks to everybody, especially Jundo and Kyonin. Wonderful to sit with all of you.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Hi all. Couldn't get my camera to work, then my computer crashed, then it came back up without a mic. Isn't technology grand LOL . It was wonderful to sit with you all. Sorry about the psychedelic eye of Sauron. I made that a long time ago when I still was making electronic music as an avatar. Marriage and children put an end to that right fast . Gassho, Scott (eye of non-Sauron)

... From the land of Pittsburgh, where the Shadows lie...

ROFL! . I can just picture in my head Big Ben huddled over his last Super Bowl ring, muttering, "My precious..."

Hey guys,

Sorry for the noisy chanting today. I had no idea this would happen, but a local Catholic temple held a procession right outside my house. They were transporting some saint to another temple. So there were hundreds of people, fire crackers, bells and praying along our Heart Sutra.

Thank you all for your patience.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Quote Originally Posted by Kyonin View Post
    Hey guys,

Sorry for the noisy chanting today. I had no idea this would happen, but a local Catholic temple held a procession right outside my house. They were transporting some saint to another temple. So there were hundreds of people, fire crackers, bells and praying along our Heart Sutra.

Thank you all for your patience.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Oh, THAT IS WONDERFUL! Our Ceremony merged Harmoniously with theirs, and all the Saints Danced!!

I must confess that I thought (really) I was hearing gunshots during our Dedication for World Peace!!

Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 06-28-2014 at 03:28 AM.

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Oh, THAT IS WONDERFUL! Our Ceremony merged Harmoniously with theirs, and all the Saints Danced!!

I must confess that I thought (really) I was hearing gunshots during our Dedication for World Peace!!

Gassho, J
    LOL ... I was wondering the same thing too ... nice to hear it is a celebration! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Hi Jundo,

Yes! The saints merged and rang the bells

Thankfully they were not gun shots. Only super noisy firecrackers. The area where I live is not violent at all. But we do get our share of Catholic events so very often.

This is pretty close to what you heard today:

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Kyonin,

I just thought your microphone was turned up really high so that keystrokes sounded like explosions! As if I were a tiny insignificant creature among the endless universe, which I am anyway!

It was perfectly imperfect!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Oh my, when you said "Transporting the Saint", I thought you meant perhaps a painting! Not the actual Saint in a Glass Casket!

However, do you know that such exists in corners of Buddhism as well? I think it shows some common inner way various people need to relate to these things East or West Anyone interested in the topic can just Google "Buddhist Mummies".

Gassho, J

Thank you to all who sit Gassho
    Taikyo

Great dance. Good news.

Master Yunmen faux mummy.http://cantonbuddhism.weebly.com/upl...4_orig.jpg?205

Thanks to all.

Gassho,
    Myosha
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Hi Jundo!

Oh that was not a corpse! It was a very realistic statue of a corpse. Sometimes it's a virgin, others an object. Some of them are cycling around temples all year long.

And it gets noisy as you can see.

I have seen some film clips about the same kind of festivities all around the world. We humans have the need to relate to the sacred. It's in our DNA!

Gassho,

Kyonin

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Oh my, when you said "Transporting the Saint", I thought you meant perhaps a painting! Not the actual Saint in a Glass Casket!

However, do you know that such exists in corners of Buddhism as well? I think it shows some common inner way various people need to relate to these things East or West Anyone interested in the topic can just Google "Buddhist Mummies".

Gassho, J
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Quote Originally Posted by Dosho View Post
    Kyonin,

I just thought your microphone was turned up really high so that keystrokes sounded like explosions!
    Hi Dosho!

Well they were explosions. And got louder during the night. The good thing is there will be a small food festival in a couple hours, when sun rises. Lots of great fried and greasy stuff to eat!

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Hello all,

Thank you.

Gassho,
    John

Hello everyone,
    thank you and Gassho
    Myoku (also wondering about the gunshots)

In Japan, the Shinto folks take the shrine gods out for a walk this way ... (I have done it, and still have the scars to show for it.) ... Jump in about the 2 minute mark for a sense ...

Gassho, J

As this was the first time I made it through the whole zazenkai without some part or the whole of me falling asleep, I just thought that was how the sound was supposed to be!

The Ino has lots of instruments and makes strange noises.

Good someone explained, I would have expected it every time now.

Gassho,
    Danny

Thank you for the sitting, explosions included!

Gassho,

Roland

Thank you Jundo-Kyonin, thank you all for this sitting
    Gassho
    Gi Shu-George
    Gi Shu -George

Will be sitting this tonight. Great to hear that your and your daughter are healthy, Jundo

Thank you all. Lovely as ever!

Glad for the good news for both you and your daughter, Jundo. Healthy on the inside is good indeed!

Andy
    Last edited by Kokuu; 07-03-2014 at 12:46 PM.

Kantai
    Thank you everyone.

Gassho
    Kantai

Hello,

Sorry that I have not been able to sit with you all live, but thanks to all those that do! Good to hear all the good news on the health front as well!

Have a good week, everybody.

Andrew