Thread: Zen's Female Lineage

Zen's Female Lineage

Interesting article from Tricycle magazine about how one sangha formed a female ancestor document to go alongside the male lineage chart handed out at Jukai.

"The women ancestor document formed out of an urgent plea for change and a sense of injustice at the absence of women figures in Soto Zen history as it was being taught in the West. Its creation is an example of how history is adjusted for greater accuracy in light of a value system that honors women’s contributions. This document embodies a new story for Zen, a story that includes women. It also embodies a story of how history changes."

http://www.tricycle.com/feature/roused-dream

Added: also, from the same issue, Rita M Gross discusses male privilege in Buddhism and the obstacle of female birth: http://www.tricycle.com/feature/man-made-obstacle

Gassho
    Andy
    Last edited by Kokuu; 06-02-2014 at 03:32 PM.

Hello Andy,

thanks for sharing. Seems like a very good idea! If we in the West are to wait for the Soto-Shu to become more open to powerful women in a greater sense, we shouldn't hold our breath, because one cannot divide the extreme macho mentality found in institutionalised Asian Buddhism from the local culture. A step in the right direction! Of course we in the West have a lot of gender related "healing work" to do ourselves.

Blessed Lady Prajna Paramita is smiling without a doubt.

Gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen

Thank you for bringing this important article to the attention of the sangha. Yesterday's paper had an AP article on the epidemic worldwide of violence toward women. The WHO calculates that one in three women worldwide will experience sexual or physical violence in their lifetime. A deplorable finding.
    Beginning to recognize that women are deserving of respect, indeed should be given respect is a first step in healing the mysogeny that permeates our culture.
    In my lifetime in the US there have been important changes. But we still have so very far to go.
    again thank you for pointing out that article!
    Anne

Mp
    Thank you for this Andy, equality in all forms is very important and a value I hold dear.

Gassho
    Shingen

Andy,

We do chant the names of women ancestors during our Rohatsu retreat. Check this out:

https://sites.google.com/site/jundot...edirects=0&d=1

It starts on page 12. But the idea of having a second lineage chart for jukai is an excellent idea we should definitely consider.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    Interesting article from Tricycle magazine about how one sangha formed a female ancestor document to go alongside the male lineage chart handed out at Jukai.

"The women ancestor document formed out of an urgent plea for change and a sense of injustice at the absence of women figures in Soto Zen history as it was being taught in the West. Its creation is an example of how history is adjusted for greater accuracy in light of a value system that honors women’s contributions. This document embodies a new story for Zen, a story that includes women. It also embodies a story of how history changes."

http://www.tricycle.com/feature/roused-dream

Gassho
    Andy

We do chant the names of women ancestors during our Rohatsu retreat
    I had forgotten that, Dosho. I remember doing that now and it was very lovely.

Gassho
    Andy

Something I wonder why I haven't thought of yet... Thank you, Andy.
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Hello,

Thank you for the link Andy.

Attachment can be distracting.

Gassho,
    Myosha
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Hi,

Many years ago, we also added a dedication during every ceremony to all "male and female ancestors whose names have been forgotten or left unsaid".

And of course, in ultimate reality ... what male, what female?

However, the fact of the matter is that, in the conservative and male dominated societies and Buddhist institutions of Asia, the women were so forgotten that most of the names on the "Women Ancestors List" are just various random names pulled out of writings scattered here and there, some not even historical. Of course, even the traditional list of the male Ancestors is largely made up and cooked up the further one goes back in time, simply to draw a line back from the Zen institution back to the Buddha where no real historical record exists (many of the people in the Zen Lineage, especially past about 1500 years ago, never met, never particularly practiced "Zen", or did not even really live). So, we might say that the new "Womens" list is just as fictional as the traditional list.

Of course, even if we do not know exactly who ... some folks somewhere kept traditions going, and are our source. So, we celebrate them even if we do not know their name. And I would include countless women, even if their roles are little known and previously ignored.

Gassho, J

PS - If anyone would like to read more reflections on why we honor Lineage even if, it is now know, much of it is imaginary ... here is an old post ...

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...ll=1#post96139
    Last edited by Jundo; 06-02-2014 at 04:29 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Balance is the key

Nindo
    Here are some personal thoughts on lineage that I wrote for my congregation's blog a couple of weeks ago:

http://westwoodgrove.org/2014/05/28/spiritual-lineage/

Hi Nindo,

Wonderful, love this! Thanks for sharing

Gassho
    Lisa

Mp
    This is wonderful Nindo, thank you. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Beautiful, Nindo. Thank you so much for sharing!

Gassho
    Andy

Thank you for sharing Nindo.

Gassho

Willow

Hello,

". . . to remember all those who kept wisdom alive, lived it, and passed it on, all the way preparing the ground we stand on today – whether they were female or male, whether their name was recorded or left out or forgotten."

Well said. Thank you.

Gassho,
    Myosha
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Thank you for this, Nindo.

If I may introduce a couple of books that may be of interest to some folks ...

Zen Women: Beyond Tea Ladies, Iron Maidens, and Macho Masters
    This landmark presentation at last makes heard the centuries of Zen's female voices. Through exploring the teachings and history of Zen's female ancestors, from the time of the Buddha to ancient and modern female masters in China, Korea, and Japan, Grace Schireson offers us a view of a more balanced Dharma practice, one that is especially applicable to our complex lives, embedded as they are in webs of family relations and responsibilities, and the challenges of love and work.

Part I of this book describes female practitioners as they are portrayed in the classic literature of "Patriarchs' Zen"--often as "tea-ladies," bit players in the drama of male students' enlightenments; as "iron maidens," tough-as-nails women always jousting with their male counterparts; or women who themselves become "macho masters," teaching the same Patriarchs' Zen as the men do. Part II of this book presents a different view--a view of how women Zen masters entered Zen practice and how they embodied and taught Zen uniquely as women. This section examines many urgent and illuminating questions about our Zen grandmothers: How did it affect them to be taught by men? What did they feel as they trying to fit into this male practice environment, and how did their Zen training help them with their feelings? How did their lives and relationships differ from that of their male teachers? How did they express the Dharma in their own way for other female students? How was their teaching consistently different from that of male ancestors? And then part III explores how women's practice provides flexible and pragmatic solutions to issues arising in contemporary Western Zen centers.
    And a book chock full of essay and talks by some of the best Teachers around ...

Receiving the Marrow: Teachings on Dogen by Soto Zen Women Priests
    Receiving the Marrow is the first book that expresses Dogen's teaching as experienced and lived by Western Soto Zen women teachers. Dogen Zenji(1200-1253) supported equality and respect for women Zen teachers from a Buddhist perspective.He did so through his understanding of the equality of Buddha nature shared by all beings. Historically, Japanese Soto Zen women have referred to Dogen's teachings as a touchstone for finding their place and empowerment within the Soto Zen tradition that he founded. Now Western women are sharing their appreciation of Dogen and enjoying the same broad and brolliant support that he offered for all practitioners.Receiving the Marrow's essays on Dogen are enjoyable,elucidating, accessible and a wonderful new presentation on chapters from Dogen's Shobogenzo. Each woman relates personally and authentically to Dogen's teaching. This book is a wonderful addition to Dogen scholarship and a way to make Dogen our own.... . .
    Another book looking a bit wider at stories of female Buddhist ancestors ...

The Hidden Lamp: Stories from Twenty-Five Centuries of Awakened Women
    The Hidden Lamp is a collection of one hundred koans and stories of Buddhist women from the time of the Buddha to the present day. This revolutionary book brings together many teaching stories that were hidden for centuries, unknown until this volume. These stories are extraordinary expressions of freedom and fearlessness, relevant for men and women of any time or place. In these pages we meet nuns, laywomen practicing with their families, famous teachers honored by emperors, and old women selling tea on the side of the road.

Each story is accompanied by a reflection by a contemporary woman teacher--personal responses that help bring the old stories alive for readers today--and concluded by a final meditation for the reader, a question from the editors meant to spark further rumination and inquiry. These are the voices of the women ancestors of every contemporary Buddhist.
    Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 06-19-2014 at 02:58 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you, Jundo!
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Much appreciated Jundo!

Gassho,
    Dosho