Thread: How to Raise an Ox

How to Raise an Ox

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone had read 'How to Raise an Ox' and 'Sounds of Valley Streams' by Francis Dojun Cook? They look like interesting commentaries on selected chapters of Shobogenzo, as well as translations of those chapters.

I notice they are not on the recommended reading list so wonder if there is a reason for that?

Gasshp
    Andy

How to Raise an Ox is a wonderful book: I read it a few months ago, and noted a number of interesting passages.

I don't know the other one, but I'll look it up.

Do you want a copy of How to Raise an Ox? I bought a copy before I left France, and it went into storage with the rest of my books. Then after I came to the UK, I had forgotten that I bought it, so I bought it again. PM my your address and I'll send it to you.

Gassho,

Kirk

Oh, that would be great. Many thanks, Kirk!

Gassho
    Andy

Hi,

I don't know why they Cook translations are not quoted as nearly as often as those of others (such as our Nishijima Roshi and Tanahashi Sensei). It has been a long time since I read those books myself. Before I go from memory, I have asked for some of the wise folks around the Soto Zen Buddhist Association to comment, and I will report back. They may be early translations that are generally considered not quite up to snuff.

Gassho, J
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thank you, Jundo.

Gassho
    Andy

Already a response from someone (I am not going to use the name), but this person is certainly expert on these matters of translation. I paraphrase too ...

He says that Francis Cook's translations are "usable", he sometimes refer to them. But he does not find them as reliable as others. He usually only refers to Cook's after others. That said, Cook's are for the most part "competent".

Gassho, J

Thank you for that information, Jundo. I am more interested in his commentary than the actual translation but will take that advice to heart when reading.

Gassho
    Andy

And as a followup:

About a dozen other Teachers in the discussion who are not particularly translator/scholar types (like the above commentator) are saying they like it and use it from time to time ... so depends how one wants to take it.

It may not be quite "what Dogen said" but is could be what Dogen said for someone.

Gassho, J