Thread: Treeleaf Oryoki Chants Are Here

Treeleaf Oryoki Chants Are Here

Hello,
    You will find the Treeleaf Oryoki chants in our 'Retreat Chant Book', pages 22 to 26. Here is a link:

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/attac...4&d=1344456313

Gassho
    Myozan

Hello,

Downloaded to back up the hard copy. Very handy.

Thank you.

Gassho,
    Myosha
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Hello all

I made a Word file of the oryoki chants which prints into an A5 booklet if anyone is interested. I am not sure how to make it into a pdf and upload it though.

Gassho
    Andy

Kokuu,
    That's is wonderful. Deep bows. Is there a link to it?
    Gassho
    Myozan

Myozan

There isn't a link at the moment, and all I did was copy and paste the chants so they could be printed. The A4 format was too unwieldy for me.

If someone could enlighten me how to upload it somewhere and if it needs converting into PDF format, I would happily do that. Otherwise can send an attachment to Gmail accounts.

Gassho
    Kokuu

Hi Kokuu,

If you created it in WORD, can can save the file as a PDF. When you save the file the usual way, you should be able to choose the file type.

Gassho, Jundo (who works with WORD every day)
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Hi Jundo

Thank you! Is there somewhere here I can upload it to?

Also, lucky you!

Gassho
    Kokuu

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokuu View Post
    Hello all

I made a Word file of the oryoki chants which prints into an A5 booklet if anyone is interested. I am not sure how to make it into a pdf and upload it though.

Gassho
    Andy
    This is great Kokuu, thank you for doing this up. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Here is a link, Andy ...

https://sites.google.com/site/jundot...edirects=0&d=1

I have not been following this discussion as closely as I might. You are aware that the Chants I just uploaded appear to be the version we use for our very abbreviated and simplified Oryoki at Rohatsu Retreat. I believe all the same Chants are there as in "full" Oryoki (I believe I included all the sections), but some of the instructions inside I see may be a little simplified such as, for the Offering to "Hungry Ghosts"

REMOVE A FEW MORSELS, AND PLACE ASIDE ON SMALL DISH

In formal Oryoki, one places the morsels on the end of the Setsu, and a fellow comes along with what looks like a little dust pan and sweeps them up.

The Chants also vary a little from meal to meal, which is not the case for our simplified version.

Also, note that I did change the wording here and there from the "Official" English translations used by Soto-shu and others. I tend to favor a version with some of the "hocus-pocus" elements and esoteric references stripped down and brought to earth.

Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-13-2014 at 04:24 PM.

Thank you, Jundo. If corrections are needed I am happy to do that.

To print out the booklet, print both sides of A4 paper, then fold in half with the reverse side of the A4 (the second and fourth printed pages) being on the inside. It should hopefully be obvious which one goes on the outside.

Gassho
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post

In formal Oryoki, one places the morsels on the end of the Setsu, and a fellow comes along with what looks like a little dust pan and sweeps them up.
    That is seen at the 19:10 mark in the ZMM video ...

Gassho, J

Gassho, with thanks.
    Myozan