Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IMPORTANT SANGHA DISCUSSION: Begin Accepting Donations?

Hi there,

I also think taking donations is a good idea.
    One thing though: The donation process should be as simple/uncomplicated as possible.
    It should just be a thing of clicking a few buttons (e.g. PayPal).

Gassho,

Daitetsu
    no thing needs to be added

Seems to already be coming to use. Thanks to all who donate and will donate.
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

I support this. I don't think it would have any negative impact on the Sangha.

Gassho,
    Tim
    "The moment has priority". ~ Bon Haeng

Hi,

Not sure what it's like in the US, but if the option exists to use an ethical bank for the account, it should be considered. Just a thought.

Gassho,
    Genshin

You have my wholehearted support in this. Gassho.
    Heisoku 平 息
    Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)

I support this as well. Before coming to Treeleaf and looking into the closest zen centers to me (which are several hundred miles away) all of them had some kind of monthly membership fee to be part of their sangha. I was actually very surprised to find that Treeleaf didn't charge any kind of fee. An optional donation seems more than reasonable to help with incurred costs, upgrades, etc.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Kantai
    👍A great opportunity to practice Dana, giving and reciving.
    Gassho
    Kantai

Following the course of this discussion over the past few days I guess I do have some reservations over what the funding would be used for. Using the funds to support the function of the Sangha is straight forward and should not raise questions if it is appropriate or not. If however there is consideration of using the funds to support individual members such as a "travel fund" them I think we need to take great care. Providing financial assistance for studies by our Unsui in their endeavor is a possibility, however even that will have to have oversight. Just from my years of experience as a manager of a large government program, scholarships, intern opportunities, awards etc. all well intended frequently led to dissention among the troops... Just a thought.

Jim

Hi Jim,

Well, that is one reason we will have a "Board of Wisepeople" to approve expenditures. But I do not think it will be anything as complicated as "scholarships or intern opportunities". It will be more like, if a fellow in real financial straights needs a few bucks for a bus ticket to get to a Sesshin, we will help get him a bus ticket (with ratification of the "Board of Wisepeople").

Gassho, J
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

. ah Jundo, I knew you were lurking around tonight (tomorrow). Just in one of my over thinking moods tonight....

Jim

I support the basic concept as outlined. Thanks to Jundo and Taigu for the generosity of their time and passion.
    Shinzan

Donations

Hi
    For quite some time I have thought Treeleaf should accept donations to help cover the costs of this great service.

Gassho,

Jon T

Accepting donations sounds like a great idea. It is virtuous sanghas that just put out a donotation box and stay afloat. Jundo and Taigu have given tirelessly. In a way donating money is the least I can do, having not contributed much in another way, ....but it is a way to contribute. I look forward to seeing that box.

Gassho Daizan

Even though I joined only a few weeks ago, I think this is a great idea

gassho
    Vincent
    Ongen (音源) - Sound Source

I support idea for Treeleaf to accept donation

Gassho,Girai

I'd be more than happy to donate. I'm not physically able to participate in sit-alongs yet, but I'm working on it, and checking in here after evening sit is the high point of my day. Will do anything I can do to keep it going.

Gassho,

Lee

I like it. Treeleaf can use the donations to help grow the sangha and thereby grow its impact and the good works it does. I 100% support it.
    Gassho,
    "Heitetsu"
    Christopher
    Sat today

I agree with this plan!

Gassho.

Bya

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Jundo and Taigu....yes a great idea! I can see how this can allow Treeleaf to grow! I've been around for quite some time and it is inspirational to see the many positive developments!

Gassho,
    Jisen/BrianW

Sounds good. And yeah, anything given shouldn't be tax-deductable—it just stays in the family!

Gassho,

Lisa
    Last edited by ZenHarmony; 02-22-2014 at 03:26 AM. Reason: changed it's to it

I support this effort wholeheartedly. I've worked for and with non-profit community organizations for years, and I've found that accepting contributions not only strengthens the organization, it also builds community among those who contribute (as well as the rest of the community). I also think having a "committee of wise people" to administer the contributions is necessary.

gassho,

Shoho

I do have to say, though, that I feel Jundo and Taigu should pick the committee to oversee the funds, as they only have our best interests at heart (that is clear) and, individually, they know us better than we can know each other. *I* trust their judgement entirely in this matter.

Gassho,

Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by ZenHarmony View Post
    I do have to say, though, that I feel Jundo and Taigu should pick the committee to oversee the funds, as they only have our best interests at heart (that is clear) and, individually, they know us better than we can know each other. *I* trust their judgement entirely in this matter.

Gassho,

Lisa
    Hi Lisa,

Thank you for the trust in our judgement. But what I think we might do is approach some folks who have been around the community for awhile and seem like responsible folks, then post their names. Anybody in the Sangha can write to Taigu and/or me privately to expression any objection to a candidate in confidence. However, it will even be permissible to make a public objection here in the Forum to the entire community when their names are posted if someone feels what they have to say needs that. We will take any objections seriously and try to work it out. We will try to pick people who everyone agrees look like responsible individuals.

I think that the format of our Forum (with brand new and older members, and folks coming and going on any day) does not make a formal vote of members the best way to go, but allowing anyone to voice a private OR open public objection if they think a matter is serious enough and merits it should help secure the process.

Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 02-24-2014 at 01:16 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Sounds good to me. I really don't expect any problems, but it is best to be forthright and preventative.
    Gassho
    C

Hahaha, Jundo, that's exactly what I said!

Gassho,

Lisa

Gassho that sounds like a very reasonable thing to do, best of luck
    Bagpuss

It's a great idea and way to contribute to the Sangha. I second Genshin's idea of using an ethical bank for the transactions. I don't know if it's difficult to set up or not, but being able to automatically donate a certain amount a month would be nice, too.
    Gassho,

Daisho

(Jack K.)

IMPORTANT SANGHA DISCUSSION: Begin Accepting Donations?

I think an online Sangha bowl is a good idea. I am more than happy to contribute to this great community. Thank you Jundo and Taigu for all you have done to organize and lead it. I like the idea of the Oversight Board. I would like to see the Oversight Board members change annually or every two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyo View Post
    I support this idea. And deep bows to Jundo, Taigu, and all the priests for the sacrifices, compassion, and time put into this sangha. I am truly honoured to be part of this all, it has touched my life very deeply.

Gassho,
    Joyo

Well said...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12