Thread: Oryoki Circle Two: Opening the Bowls

Oryoki Circle Two: Opening the Bowls

Hi all,
    Here is the recording of the second meeting of the Oryoki Circle:

Great to practice with you all.

Gassho,
    Myozan
    Last edited by Myozan Kodo; 02-02-2014 at 08:06 PM.

Thank you Myozan. I hope to see you then.
    gassho, Shokai

Sent from my Note 2 using Tapatalk4
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Mp
    Thank you Myozan for this information and your guidance. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Looking forward to it.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Thank you.

Gassho,
    Myosha
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Thank you, Myozan. My laptop is still unreliable so I am going to work along with the recordings for now.

Gassho
    Kokuu

Hi all,
    This will be a Hangout On Air starting in about an hour's time (7:15PM GMT). See you then.
    Gassho
    Myozan

Hello,

Thank you. Talking to the screen during simulcast. All together.

Gassho,
    Myosha
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

The 20 movements I've broken down Opening the Bowls into:

Oryoki 1: Opening the Bowls
    Chants X 2
    To Open
    1: Spread left and right out
    2: Drying cloth: Z and flip
    3: Clockwise utensils (flipped cloth; bag; waterboard)/ right hand top) opening to
    left
    4: Open napkin and on knees
    5: Open front flap; then back (make star shape)
    6: Right side star; left side star
    7: Open Hattan; place under bowls; bowls to left
    8: Dish under Buddha bowl (use thumbs)
    9: Two little bowls on right
    10: Bowl on top
    11: Last (number 2) bowl in middle
    12: Drying cloth up with right hand
    13: Left hand: take up utensils
    14: Replace drying cloth with right
    15: Work out tools; make Z (setu on left; spoon middle; chopsticks right)
    16: Fold Z with left hand
    17: Chopsticks out (points in middle; handle left)
    18: Spoon out (handle left; bowl open; closest to body)
    19: Setsu out (flip between bowls 2 and 3)
    20: Put utensil cover, opening to right; sandwiched in waterboard and drying
    cloth)

... and the bowls are open

Gassho
    Myozan

Mp
    Excellent, thanks for posting this Myozan. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Just a note, that I'm following you Myozan and you other guys,
    its not my time to be live with you, but I much appreciate the efforts and its much of pleasure actually to work though this!
    Thank you and _()_
    Myoku

I will be sitting with you, opening the bowls tonight. Thank you for this.

Gassho,

Daijo

Mp
    Hello everyone, looks like my bowls came in, so I will take some photos and let you see. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Will practice this when my bowls arrive. Missed yesterday! Gassho.
    Heisoku 平 息
    Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)

Nindo
    Thank you, you broke it down perfectly!

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Got some large sheets of black paper (12x18 if I recall) and lacquer this week. Two coats of lacquer in, I am either making a passable hattan, or a mess. Not sure which yet. Will post pictures in the next few days if it goes well.
    Gassho,
    Sekishi
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Sekishi,
    That sounds great. Looking forward to seeing them.
    Deep bows
    Myozan

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Sekishi View Post
    Got some large sheets of black paper (12x18 if I recall) and lacquer this week. Two coats of lacquer in, I am either making a passable hattan, or a mess. Not sure which yet. Will post pictures in the next few days if it goes well.
    Gassho,
    Sekishi
    I too am interested and you might have to give us tour secrets to success. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Thank you Myozan for part two. I am all caught up and hopefully will be with you tomorrow . Gassho.
    Heisoku 平 息

PS my new bowl set arrived with black cloths. hope this isn't a problem?
    Gassho.
    Heisoku 平 息

Hi. Not a problem. May they serve you well.
    Gassho
    Myozan

Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    I too am interested and you might have to give us tour secrets to success. =)

Gassho
    Shingen
    Here is a quick, pretty shaky phone pic. The paper is absorbing quite a bit of lacquer. The three sheets here are:
    1. Original black construction paper.
    2. One coat of lacquer.
    3. Three coats of lacquer (the darkest one).

I am thinking that four coats will be the charm... Will find out later today. ^_^

Gassho,
    Eric

uploadfromtaptalk1391891921030.jpg

Sent from my S4 via Tapatalk4

Eric
    Looking good. Great job. Jundo says that 'construction paper' works well as well. Not sure what we call that in Europe ... but when I ask for that in shops here, they don't know what I'm asking for. But that shouldn't be a problem state-side.
    Gassho
    Myozan

Mp
    Yes looking great Eric ... Can you tell me the type/name of the lacquer you used?

Gassho
    Shingen

Myozan - "Construction paper" is basically a soft thick paper (although not as thick as card stock or even watercolor paper) with a soft fibrous finish (lots of wood pulp I guess). In the US it is usually dyed with different colors for use in craft projects. I'm not sure what you should ask for, but the label includes Spanish and French:
    - Cartulina extragruesa multiusos
    - Papier de bricolage universal epais

If you cannot find any, let me know and I'll send you some (I bought a 50 sheet pack when I got mine).

Shingen - I went with a spray-on lacquer (I was thinking it would be easier to put on in thin layers to avoid wrinkling). It is an 11oz can of Rustoleum Black Lacquer Spray - #1905830.

Update after the forth application: very little of this layer soaked in, so it is finally looking smooth, shiny, and reflective. I think the real test now will be what happens when it gets folded (will it crack and flake off?). Anyhow, I'll keep you all informed!

Gassho,
    Sekishi
    Last edited by Sekishi; 02-09-2014 at 01:07 AM. Reason: typooos

Mp
    Awesome, thanks Eric and yes keep us posted! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Well guys, here is what I learned about lacquer. After 5 layers (sprayed) per side, with 48 hours to dry between coats, I had a beautiful, smooth finish that was water repellant. The natural roughness of the paper caused bumps and roughness as the layers built up. So I used some #0000 (really fine) steel wool to gently smooth the surface out, before doing one last coat.

I am not sure what caused it (maybe one side was not totally dry), but when I left the last coat on the second side to dry, the first side ended up completely and totally stuck / formed / glued to the cardboard I had been using as a protective layer. I utterly destroyed it trying to peel it off. ^_^

So I am starting over. This time I cut it to 9.5 x 15 inches. With the extra length I am using paper clips to hang it between coats. When finished I will cut off the extra. I am also trying 10 minutes between coats. Basically it is my understanding that with lacquer, you either do many coats with a few minutes between, or you let it dry completely between coats.

Anyhow, will let you know what I learn this time around!

Gassho,
    Sekishi / Eric

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Sekishi View Post
    Well guys, here is what I learned about lacquer. After 5 layers (sprayed) per side, with 48 hours to dry between coats, I had a beautiful, smooth finish that was water repellant. The natural roughness of the paper caused bumps and roughness as the layers built up. So I used some #0000 (really fine) steel wool to gently smooth the surface out, before doing one last coat.

I am not sure what caused it (maybe one side was not totally dry), but when I left the last coat on the second side to dry, the first side ended up completely and totally stuck / formed / glued to the cardboard I had been using as a protective layer. I utterly destroyed it trying to peel it off. ^_^

So I am starting over. This time I cut it to 9.5 x 15 inches. With the extra length I am using paper clips to hang it between coats. When finished I will cut off the extra. I am also trying 10 minutes between coats. Basically it is my understanding that with lacquer, you either do many coats with a few minutes between, or you let it dry completely between coats.

Anyhow, will let you know what I learn this time around!

Gassho,
    Sekishi / Eric
    Ohhhh bummer Sekishi! But many thanks for being the test pilot and keep us posted on the progress. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Eric,

If it turns out to be a hassle, I really wouldn't worry about it. As Myozan told us once, the only ones in the West who use the paper are typically priests who have trained in Japan. I'm glad (and impressed) you gave it a shot, but no need to go further I think.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Quote Originally Posted by Dosho View Post
    If it turns out to be a hassle, I really wouldn't worry about it. As Myozan told us once, the only ones in the West who use the paper are typically priests who have trained in Japan. I'm glad (and impressed) you gave it a shot, but no need to go further I think.
    Hi Dosho,

Thank you for that, but unless you think I actually should not try, I do not mind saying "oops" and starting over (I already have the materials). I actually did 5 really thin coats (front and back this time) this morning before the oryoki circle. It looks like a good start.

Anyhow, I don't mind putting the time into it. I like being "crafty" anyhow, and if I learn anything that might be helpful to others in the future, even better. However, if you think I should not do it, that is fine too.

Gassho,
    Sekishi / Eric

Oryoki Circle Two: Opening the Bowls

Hi Eric,
    I'm with Dosho on this. You display great commitment to practice. You have offered us a teaching in this. Deep bows to you ... and no need to worry about a Hattan ... but, since I think it is more the joy of practice than a burden for you ... then we will continue to follow your efforts with interest and gratitude.

That's my humble opinion.
    Myozan
    Last edited by Myozan Kodo; 03-02-2014 at 11:14 PM.

I am only just getting around to watching these. Thank you so much, Myozan, and everyone else. This is a great resource.

Gassho
    Andy