Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Monday through Thursday Zazen with Dosho

Monday through Thursday Zazen with Dosho

Hello all,

For the last few months I have been hosting a 30 minute sitting of zazen every Monday & Tuesday night on G+ at 11pm Eastern time in North America. I have now extended the number of days to 4, so we now sit every Monday - Thursday at that time.

All are welcome, but to cut down on spam I am posting this message to ask if you would like to be added to the invite list. I don't need to know if you will be able to make it any particular night of any particular week as I know you will attend when possible. I am just asking if you would like to be invited.

So, if you do NOT want an invite, do nothing! If you do want an invite, please reply to this message or send me a PM to be added. Folks who already get invites don't need to do anything either...you will continue to be invited.

I hope to see some of you there!

Gassho,
    Dosho
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-15-2014 at 08:02 AM.

I never mind having an invitation to sit.
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Mp
    Count me in my friend, have always enjoyed our sits. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

An invite would be cool. Can't always make it at that time, but whenever possible I'll be there.

Gassho, John

When possible I will attend.

Gassho,

Daijo

I will be attending whenever possible. Thank you Dosho.

Gassho
    Bobby

Throw me on there Dosho

Gassho

Daido

Yugen
    Please keep me on the invite list Dosho!

Deep bows
    Yugen

Please add me to the invite list Dosho.

Gassho,
    Jeff
    "Those who see worldly life as an obstacle to Dharma see no Dharma in everyday actions. They have not yet discovered that there are no everyday actions outside of Dharma."

- Dogen Zenji

In case I haven't already said so: THANK YOU FOR DOING THIS

It is very difficult for me to make most other live sits so I really appreciate the opportunity to sit with others

Gassho
    C

You never forget to invite me, but I'll make it official anyways. Keep me on the list.

Also, I would like to practice the robe verse in Japanese once or twice (although Swedish would be an acceptable substitute)
    If I'm already enlightened why the hell is this so hard?

Quote Originally Posted by Nengyo View Post
    Also, I would like to practice the robe verse in Japanese once or twice (although Swedish would be an acceptable substitute)
    We'll do the English version for awhile so the newer folks can get used to it because that's more likely to be the one they'll use at Treeleaf, but I'm already planning to rotate the Japanese version in after awhile.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Joyo
    Quote Originally Posted by Dosho View Post
    We'll do the English version for awhile so the newer folks can get used to it because that's more likely to be the one they'll use at Treeleaf, but I'm already planning to rotate the Japanese version in after awhile.

Gassho,
    Dosho
    Thank you for taking the few extra minutes to do this, Dosho. It really helped me last night, and I plan on being there for it again tonight

Gassho,
    joyo

Kyotai
    I should be on tonight for the whole sit. Thank you for expanding it to the whole week.

Gassho

Shawn

Gassho,
    Dosho
    OK I'll bite. What is the robe verse? Or, where can I learn more?
    Gassho C

Come 5 minutes before the top of the hour next time we sit and find out.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    OK I'll bite. What is the robe verse? Or, where can I learn more?
    Gassho C

Mp
    Come 5 minutes before the top of the hour next time we sit and find out.

Gassho,
    Dosho
    Hey Dosho,

I found that I was not able to access 5mins before the sit ... the option to join is only available on the hour and not before. Either way, I am chatting away with you all. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Hmm...how did you try to get in?

Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    Hey Dosho,

I found that I was not able to access 5mins before the sit ... the option to join is only available on the hour and not before. Either way, I am chatting away with you all. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Mp
    Hmm...how did you try to get in?
    Hey Dosho,

I tried in many ways ... By refreshing the page of the actual event, your page, and the main Google+ page. Normally there are two options when one can enter the hangout ... Either a blue button on the right by the event details, or a white button that sits over the event window when you access it via your page or the main Google+ page. Either way I only get the option when it turns 8pm PST.

Either way it is ok .... but you never know what magic you may have up your sleeves. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Shingen,

You can enter the Hangout early by clicking the word "Hangouts" in the "Details" box on the event page:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/events/c...1pm657qsnn6ca0

You can actually enter the Hangout now if you like, but no one will be there quite yet!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    Hey Dosho,

I tried in many ways ... By refreshing the page of the actual event, your page, and the main Google+ page. Normally there are two options when one can enter the hangout ... Either a blue button on the right by the event details, or a white button that sits over the event window when you access it via your page or the main Google+ page. Either way I only get the option when it turns 8pm PST.

Either way it is ok .... but you never know what magic you may have up your sleeves. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

TO ALL SITTERS:

When I originally planned to chant the robe verse at 5 minutes before the hour, it was so we wouldn't be interrupted by people coming into the Hangout right in the middle. However, that's still happening so I'm going to have all of you choose 1 of 2 options to enter the Hangout:

1. If you want to chant the robe verse with us, please enter by using the "Hangouts" link in the "Details" box on the event page starting around 5 minutes before the hour. We'll wait a couple minutes and then chant.

2. If you don't plan to chant with us or are running late, please do not enter the Hangout until the "Join Hangout" button appears on the event page or you are notified that the Hangout is beginning.

Please do your best to stick to one of these methods. If you have any questions, post them here or send me a PM.

Gassho,
    Dosho
    Last edited by Dosho; 01-15-2014 at 08:54 PM.

Mp
    Sounds good Doshi, thank you for doing this. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

TO ALL SITTERS:

When I originally planned to chant the robe verse at 5 minutes before the hour, it was so we wouldn't be interrupted by people coming into the Hangout right in the middle. However, that's still happening so I'm going to have all of you choose 1 of 2 options to enter the Hangout:

1. If you want to chant the robe verse with us, please enter by using the "Hangouts" link in the "Details" box on the event page starting around 5 minutes before the hour. We'll wait a couple minutes and then chant.

2. If you don't plan to chant with us or are running late, please do not enter the Hangout until the "Join Hangout" button appears on the event page or you are notified that the Hangout is beginning.

Please do your best to stick to one of these methods. If you have any questions, post them here or send me a PM.

Gassho,
    Dosho
    Simple, clear instructions. I like it. Plus I learned something new about how to get into a hangout.
    If I'm already enlightened why the hell is this so hard?

Nindo
    Dosho, please put me on the list. I probably won't make it often (this week I won't), but I'd like to be just one click away.
    Gassho,
    Nindo

Added!

Quote Originally Posted by Nindo View Post
    Dosho, please put me on the list. I probably won't make it often (this week I won't), but I'd like to be just one click away.
    Gassho,
    Nindo

Monday through Thursday Zazen with Dosho

Hi Dosho,

I may be confused about when you are starting, but nothing showed up under "Events", in the Treeleaf "community" section or in my "stream" this evening. I checked a few minutes before 11 and a few minutes after. I am almost never up this late but.....sometimes I am.

Gassho,

Shugen
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Shugen,

With the constant changes to G+ and the fact that some folks were getting spammed, I've only been inviting those who have indicated they would like to receive an invitation. But all are welcome and I'll regularly remind folks on this thread when we sit. Would you like me to add you to the invite list? Just let me know by posting here or by sending me a PM.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Quote Originally Posted by rculver View Post
    Hi Dosho,

I may be confused about when you are starting, but nothing showed up under "Events", in the Treeleaf "community" section or in my "stream" this evening. I checked a few minutes before 11 and a few minutes after. I am almost never up this late but.....sometimes I am.

Gassho,

Shugen

Hi again Dosho,

If it's not a problem, yes please. I may not be able to join very often but I just may one of these days.

It's too bad Google Plus has been so contrary. It seems to be anti-spontaneity. Hopefully it'll get worked out.

Gassho,

Shugen

Shugen
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

It's no problem at all! I'll add you right away.

We'll be happy to have you whenever you can stop by.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Quote Originally Posted by rculver View Post
    Hi again Dosho,

If it's not a problem, yes please. I may not be able to join very often but I just may one of these days.

It's too bad Google Plus has been so contrary. It seems to be anti-spontaneity. Hopefully it'll get worked out.

Gassho,

Shugen

Shugen

Thank you Dosho.

Bows,

Shugen
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Got an invitation. Thanks.

Shugen
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Please add me as well Dosho. I may not be awake enough to sit at 11pm very often but would still like to be added.
    Thanks, Jakudo.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk
    Gassho, Shawn Jakudo Hinton
    It all begins when we say, “I”. Everything that follows is illusion.
    "Even to speak the word Buddha is dragging in the mud soaking wet; Even to say the word Zen is a total embarrassment."
    寂道

Added!

Quote Originally Posted by Jakudo View Post
    Please add me as well Dosho. I may not be awake enough to sit at 11pm very often but would still like to be added.
    Thanks, Jakudo.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

Kyotai
    Will not be sitting at 11pm due to early day shifts! (This week only)

Gassho

Shawn

Hello all,

For folks new to Treeleaf, I host a single 30 minute session of zazen, Monday through Thursday, on Google+ at 11pm Eastern time in North America.

All are welcome, but to cut down on spam I am posting this message to ask if you would like to be added to the invite list. I don't need to know if you will be able to make it any particular night of any particular week as I know you will attend when possible. I am just asking if you would like to be invited.

So, if you want an invite, please reply to this message or send me a PM to be added. Folks who already get invites don't need to do anything (but can let me know any time if they want to be removed).

Gassho,
    Dosho

Hi Dosho,
    Wish I could join you, but its 4am here. Happy sitting.
    Gassho
    Myozan

Yugen
    Dosho,
    Likewise, I would love to join you but it is difficult given my work hours. Please do keep me on the invite list though.

Deep bows
    Yugen

Hi all,

I thought we might chant the robe verse in Japanese for a few weeks. Awhile back, I asked Taigu if he had a translation that indicated what each "syllable" meant and he posted this picture:

robeversejapanese.jpg

As you can see, there are multiple words in most cases and I'm sure Jundo or Taigu could speak about that more than I could. So, from an ignorant perspective, I made the choices I thought were most appropriate (with a few liberties taken). First, the more literal:

Boundless Oh! Liberation Robe
    Formless Form Merit Field Robe
    Wear Tathagatha Teachings
    Vastly Liberate All Numerous Beings

Now put in a more traditional English format:

Oh Boundless Robe of Liberation!
    Its Merit, A Field of Form and Formless
    Wearing the Tathagatha's Teachings
    Vast is the Liberation of All the Many Beings

These are, of course, only my thoughts on the matter; yours may differ. But I did feel for myself that I wanted to know what I was saying rather than just a series of sounds that represented the Heart Sutra. Perhaps some of you will find it helpful as well.

Gassho,
    Dosho
    Last edited by Dosho; 03-25-2014 at 01:27 AM.

Mp
    Hi all,

I thought we might chant the robe verse in Japanese for a few weeks. Awhile back, I asked Taigu if he had a translation that indicated what each "syllable" meant and he posted this picture:

robeversejapanese.jpg

As you can see, there are multiple words in most cases and I'm sure Jundo or Taigu could speak about that more than I could. So, from an ignorant perspective, I made the choices I thought were most appropriate (with a few liberties taken). First, the more literal:

Boundless Oh! Liberation Robe
    Formless Form Merit Field Robe
    Wear Tathagatha Teachings
    Vastly Liberate All Numerous Beings

Now put in a more traditional English format:

Oh Boundless Robe of Liberation!
    Its Merit, A Field of Form and Formless
    Wearing the Tathagatha's Teachings
    Vast is the Liberation of All the Many Beings

These are, of course, only my thoughts on the matter; yours may differ. But I did feel for myself that I wanted to know what I was saying rather than just a series of sounds that represented the Heart Sutra. Perhaps some of you will find it helpful as well.

Gassho,
    Dosho
    This is great and very helpful Dosho, thank you! =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Quote Originally Posted by Yugen View Post
    Dosho,
    Likewise, I would love to join you but it is difficult given my work hours. Please do keep me on the invite list though.

Deep bows
    Yugen
    My schedule keeps Sunday AM tough for me too Yugen, but do keep me on YOUR list too. I can come sometimes!
    Gassho
    C

Hi all,

I said this already during the Hangout, but will say it again here: What I posted above is by no means official! Please say the words and feel them in your own heart; I'm sure they will speak to you.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Thank you for giving us this translation and practice Dosho.
    Gassho,
    Sekishi
    Sekishi | 石志 | He/him | Better with a grain of salt, but best ignored entirely.

Hello all,

For folks new to Treeleaf, I host a single 30 minute session of zazen, Monday through Thursday, on Google+ at 11pm Eastern time in North America.

So, if you want an invite, please reply to this message or send me a PM to be added. Folks who already get invites don't need to do anything (but can let me know any time if they want to be removed).

Gassho,
    Dosho

Hi Dosho,

Could you please include me in the invite list? With my work schedule these times may begin to fit best for me out here in the West.

Many thanks and gassho,
    Tim
    "The moment has priority". ~ Bon Haeng

Hi Dosho,

I would love to be added to the list, its the perfect time with my work schedule!

Thank you

Gassho,

James

Tim & James,

I will be happy to add you both to the list. If you haven't already, please send me your G+ account name in a private message.

Hope to sit with you soon!

Gassho,
    Dosho
    Last edited by Dosho; 07-09-2014 at 12:20 AM.

I already did. I look forward to sitting with you.

Gassho,

James

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got it James!

Gassho,
    D

Me too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast