Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATTENTION! Our "AT HOME" 2-DAY ROHATSU RETREAT - December 7th & 8th! BE READY!

ATTENTION! Our "AT HOME" 2-DAY ROHATSU RETREAT - December 7th & 8th! BE READY!

Dear All,

a re-MINDer that our Treeleaf Annual 'AT HOME' Two Day 'ALL ONLINE' ROHATSU (Buddha's Enlightenment Day) RETREAT is to be LIVE NETCAST on the weekend of Saturday & Sunday, December 7th and 8th, 2013 (though starting Friday night in some time zones). The retreat is designed to be sat in any time zone around the world through a combination of 'live-live' and 'live though recorded' segments, and one may still join the Retreat and sit-a-long at ANY AND ALL TIME after, by the real time recorded version (no different from the original!). Please have a look at the schedule on the "official" page (although the page will remain locked until near the Retreat start time) ...

THIS YEAR'S ROHATSU RETREAT HOMEPAGE LINK

We hope that all of our Ango-ers and others will find a way to sit with us. Through a combination of live and "any time" recorded segments, the retreat is designed to be sat any where, in any time zone, even days or weeks later, when you can arrange your schedule. The method is that you can do some of the portions "live" in your time zone, others in recorded form, and thus it fits everyone's time zone even if slightly out of order (no need to stay up all night to stay on "Japan Time"). In other words, sometimes we do some sections in Japan while you are asleep, but then you can do them later (while we are asleep), and some sections we are all awake to do "live" ... and it all gets done in the end. Everyone has to do their own math to figure out which portions they can do live, which they will do as a recording (and in what order).

The two days will include Zazen sitting, Kinhin, Chanting, Zazen sitting, Oryoki, Zazen sitting, Bowing, Talks, 'Samu' Work Practice, and More Zazen Sitting, as in any Soto Zen Retreat, all in celebration of the Buddha's days of Zazen and Enlightenment under the Bodhi Tree. Easy to follow preparations and instructions will be provided everyone in the coming weeks for establishing a retreat space in your own home, and in keeping with other responsibilities you may have (such as being a "mom" or "dad").

If you are concerned about the length of sitting, please take to heart that such retreats ... of 2 or 3 days, a week or two weeks ... are basic and highly recommended in the Zen world, undertaken by just about every Zen Sangha I know. It is a practice not to be missed if at all possible for you.

I would like to talk a little about the meaning of Rohatsu Retreat, and arranging a quiet space in your home for sitting. For further information on that, and other topics (such as how parents can make needed childcare a part of this Retreat), I ask all who are participating to DOWNLOAD AND REVIEW THIS GUIDE TO SITTING OUR ONLINE RETREAT LINK HERE(PDF)

The accompanying CHANT BOOK IS HERE(PDF)

As well, the following video will explain a bit about how to make and dance with a simple, home Oryoki kit. All you need is:

1 - Clean Pillow Case
    2 - Bowls and 1 Tea Cup (that fit into each other)
    1 - Cloth Napkin
    1 - Small Wiping Cloth
    1 - Table Spoon
    1 - Tea Spoon or Chop Sticks
    1 - Small Cut Piece of a New Sponge
    1 - Letter Envelope
    1 - A small dish on the side for the "Hungry Ghosts"

Let's Get Ready to Rohatsu!

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 11-30-2013 at 04:07 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Jundo,

I will certainly be joining for portions live and sitting at another time.

Deep Gassho,

Lu
    Shinjin datsuraku, datsuraku shinjin..Body-mind drop off, mind-body drop off..

Yugen
    I'm in!

Deep bows
    Yugen

Mp
    Wonderful, I will be participating live.

Gassho
    Shingen

I'll be on throughout.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Kantai
    Looking forward to it!

Gassho
    Edward

Hello Jundo,

I'm looking forward to it!

Gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen

Clean out the tea house
    air the zafu and zabuton
    get the Orioki kit ready
    empty the schedule
    check internet connection
    warn friends
    disconnect phone and doorbell
    charge batteries
    feed the temple abbot ( Buffel the cat)
    tidy myself up
    iron koromo
    etc.

Ready to roll when you are!

Mu

Brilliant - ready to go
    Gassho
    Taikyo

I'll be there. Looking forward to it.

Gassho
    Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will be there, partly live, partly with recordings - looking forward to this one!

Gassho,

Timo
    no thing needs to be added

I won't be able to participate live as my boy's have a rather large Karate (end of year belt testing and banquet) event on the 7th. I plan to do my retreat the following Monday - Tuesday. I'm looking forward to retreating with you all!

Gassho,
    Kelly/Jinmei

I won't be able to participate live but I'm in.

Gassho,

Daido

I will be there live for large portions of the retreat.

gassho,
    william
    "First you have to give up." Tyler Durden

Will have to participate Non live this year. Various conflicts. Will participate in Zen space though.
    Gassho
    C

Participating.

Gassho,
    Edward
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Quote Originally Posted by William Anderson View Post
    I will be there live for large portions of the retreat.

gassho,
    william
    Thank you, William. And we will be featuring your Yoga for sitters during break periods ...

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...ohatsu-Retreat

Gassho, J

I'll be sitting Rohatsu sesshin with a group in Atlanta from 8-14 Dec. I don't like that I'll miss sitting with y'all, but it was a unique opportunity I couldn't pass up. Having said that, we're all still sitting together.

Gassho,
    Shujin

Quote Originally Posted by Shujin View Post
    I'll be sitting Rohatsu sesshin with a group in Atlanta from 8-14 Dec. I don't like that I'll miss sitting with y'all, but it was a unique opportunity I couldn't pass up. Having said that, we're all still sitting together.

Gassho,
    Shujin
    That's all good, and glad you are sitting a few days with some folks. Gassho, J

Will participate via webcast or delayed, 'cos I'm also going to a buddhist wedding on Saturday. Looking foward to sesshin.
    Thanks. Shinzan

Hi all,
    I'll sit as much of it as I can live. The rest I will sit recorded.

Looking forward to it.

Gassho
    Myozan

YEa! count me in. Going to organize to be able to do some parts live.

Gassho

kb
    Dancing between stillness and motion I find peace.

Hi all!
    I'm looking forward to this. The End of the Start.
    I will organize to participate some parts live and sit some recorded parts.
    Hopefully I be able to do as much as I can live.

Gassho
    Björn

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm in... live and recorded as well

Gassho
    Thank you for your practice

I'll probably end up sitting a combination of live and recorded as well.

Looking forward to sitting with everyone!

Gassho
    Seimyo

明 Seimyō (Christhatischris)

I'm in! My band's performing at a benefit concert for those affected by Typhoon Haiyan on the 7th, and I can't kick out my family out of the house anyway so I'll most likely only be able to join live in the early mornings and late evenings. The rest of the schedule I don't know - I'll try to work it out somehow with the recordings.

Rafael

I am hoping to be able to participate live. I will def be sitting with the recorded. With my job right now it has made it difficult to participate in anything live so far but I am making sure to catch recorded events when I see them. My job role will be changing in the next couple months and I will be able to participate in live events with the Sangha more and more.

I look forward to sitting with everyone whether its live or recorded.

Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by pinoybuddhist View Post
    I'm in! My band's performing at a benefit concert for those affected by Typhoon Haiyan on the 7th, and I can't kick out my family out of the house anyway so I'll most likely only be able to join live in the early mornings and late evenings. The rest of the schedule I don't know - I'll try to work it out somehow with the recordings.

Rafael
    Hi Rafael,

First, a benefit concert for the Typhoon victims is Bodhisattva Work. Lovely.

Next, the Rohatsu Retreat is designed to be sat any place and any time, even if hours, days, weeks or several Kalpa later. So long as the sitting is sat.

Gassho, Jundo

Will sit live as much as possible and looking forward to it.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

I will be sitting, live, recorded, just sitting with you all. Gassho.
    Heisoku 平 息
    Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)

Hoping to do quite a bit in "real time" (whatever that is). Other parts recorded. Thanks always for the opportunity to sit with you all.

Gassho,
    Bill

泰 Entai (Bill)
    "this is not a dress rehearsal"

Will be sitting with you all. Thank you.

~ Hogo.

I look forward to the opportunity of actually sitting with you live. Gassho.
    Heisoku 平 息
    Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)

I'm very excited! Although I'm not sure if I'll be there the whole day. I'll try my best to be live as with our zazenkais, though never appearing because I have no camera at my convenient disposal. If for some reason this stupid child can help your practice in his formless ways, please do let him help.

A question, though, I'm having trouble navigating through the site, but has there been follow up videos for the rohatsu retreat instructions yet? Sorry for asking. And thank you compassionate friends.

Gassho, Ben
    Gassho
    Ben

I would like to join you live, if I may.

Gassho,

Lisa

Dear All,

I have posted the "Official Page" for our Retreat ...

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...U-RETREAT-2013

However, the thread is Locked until we near the start time of the Retreat. If you have a question or comment to post in the meantime, please do so here, below in this thread.

IF YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU WILL BE ABLE TO SIT PORTIONS OF THIS RETREAT BY LIVE '2-WAY' VIDEO HANGOUT, PLEASE PM JUNDO PRIOR TO THE START OF THE RETREAT. I will add you to our "ROHATSU 2013" Circle, and you should receive email notification or notification for each unit of the Retreat via our Google+ Page allowing you to join the Hangout.

Please look for the reading materials that will be the subject of Dharma Talks by Jundo and Taigu on Saturday and Sunday, to be posted below in this thread soon.

IT IS LIKELY THAT THE TREELEAF FORUM WILL BE CLOSED DURING THE WEEKEND OF THE RETREAT FOR ALL CONVERSATIONS NOT RELATED TO THE RETREAT!

Let's Get Ready To Rohatsu!

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 11-30-2013 at 03:36 PM.

Treeleaf Priest / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    I will be sitting "live" as much as my internet connection (and the time difference) will allow!

Looking forward to it, and hesitant at the same time.

Deep bows,
    Eric

Hi all,

Follow-up to above... I'm trying to decide how / when best to sit this retreat, and would be curious if any "more experienced" Treeleafers have opinions or experiences to share.

I've been basically planning to sit the schedule as posted, following local time (e.g. starting at 6:00am EST on Saturday). This will mean sitting with recorded sittings most of the time, and "tuning in" to the Live sittings when they sync up.

Alternatively, I can see sitting Day 1, Units 1 and 2 "Live" (on Friday evening for me) to kick off the retreat, and then sitting the rest recorded ("tuning in" to the other live sittings when they sync up).

Anyhow, I can see a lot of different ways to do this, but am not sure which is best. I've cleared everything from my schedule for Friday-Sunday night, so I can do whatever.

Gassho,
    Eric

Hi Eric,

It is so nice that you will be there.

I have no preference which way you schedule things. It is just nice that you can go right through either way, without breaking things up too much.

Other folks may give you more specific advice on which way might be better for you.

Lovely. See you there.

Gassho, J

Mp
    Hello Eric, I also agree with Jundo, it is going be nice having you with us. For me, I lock myself in the closet and disconnect everything except the internet. Just kidding!

I like to simplify things for myself, so I set those two days to Rohatsu only, unless an emergency comes up ... that way it allows me to just be and experience to beauty Rohatsu has to offer. I find for myself if I schedule to much that scheduling itself just adds an extra stress that is not needed.

Also I usually keep going until my eye lids say otherwise ... amazing how those little flaps of skin have such power.

Not sure if this helped as I know we all have different schedules and responsibilities.

Gassho
    Shingen

Thank you Jundo and Shingen. Sounds like I'll probably going to go with my original plan then -- just sit the posted schedule based on local time, but when "live" G+ sittings are available, I'll turn on the camera. E.g. Keep it simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Shingen View Post
    Also I usually keep going until my eye lids say otherwise ... amazing how those little flaps of skin have such power.
    They are powerful! It is my understanding that you can always just remove them and use them to grow your own camellia sinensis bushes (YMMV)!

Gassho,
    Eric

Question: I was unable to access the zendo etiquette document mentioned in the guide—is there an alternative link I can access, please? Also, I plan on being live for the whole thing, but I don't want to take a Hangout spot away from someone more deserving, can I be put on the secondary Hangout list, in case you don't have enough ppl joining live atm?

Gassho,

Lisa

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Ctenny View Post
    They are powerful! It is my understanding that you can always just remove them and use them to grow your own camellia sinensis bushes (YMMV)!
    Lol ... Oh I could just image. =)

Gassho
    Shingen

Quote Originally Posted by ZenHarmony View Post
    Also, I plan on being live for the whole thing, but I don't want to take a Hangout spot away from someone more deserving, can I be put on the secondary Hangout list, in case you don't have enough ppl joining live atm?

Gassho,

Lisa
    There is nobody more deserving. You are on the list with everybody else.

Except for our Ino/Doan (because I require them to be present to lead the Chants), this will be FCFZ ... First Come First Zafu ...

... even though, in a Zen Way, there ain't no "first coming or going".

Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 12-01-2013 at 02:08 AM.

I will sit with the recorded units.
    Saturday there is a a TOKUDO in Boca, Fl., US. that I will attend; then coming home to the two grandchildren duties make it difficult.
    But the nights are mine.
    This is an exiting time. This angha will save many beings.
    Metta to all sanghas thoughout the world sitting Rohatsu!!
    Metta to the world for these Holydays!!
    "Know that the practice of zazen is the complete path of buddha-dharma and nothing can be compared to it....it is not the practice of one or two buddhas but all the buddha ancestors practice this way."
    Dogen zenji in Bendowa

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I will sit with the recorded units.
    Saturday there is a a TOKUDO in Boca, Fl., US. that I will attend; then coming home to the two grandchildren duties make it difficult.
    But the nights are mine.
    This is an exiting time. This angha will save many beings.
    Metta to all sanghas thoughout the world sitting Rohatsu!!
    Metta to the world for these Holydays!!
    Ed, is it at Southern Palm? Please say "hi" to Mitch (if he is there), Jane, Gary and all my Boca Buds!

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 12-03-2013 at 04:25 AM.

Yes.
    I'll tell Doshin you say hi. H
    e will confer; and the sangha is all a flutter with this event.
    Small but awake group.
    "Know that the practice of zazen is the complete path of buddha-dharma and nothing can be compared to it....it is not the practice of one or two buddhas but all the buddha ancestors practice this way."
    Dogen zenji in Bendowa

anyone close to GMT time that wants to sit the Rohatsu Retreat together on another weekend?

D.
    I gained nothing at all from supreme enlightenment, and for that very reason it is called supreme enlightenment
    - the Buddha

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Yes.
    I'll tell Doshin you say hi. H
    e will confer; and the sangha is all a flutter with this event.
    Small but awake group.
    Our reciting "Master Haukuin's Song in Praise of Zazen" during the first day of the Rohastsu Retreat each year is dedicated to Doshin. I consider him my mentor, and so much of what we have here at Treeleaf follows what I learned from how he piloted the Southern Palm group.

Gassho, J

The Southern Palm chant book is identical to yours. I see the parallells and similarities.

Doshin is a teacher who lets you go, open handed; always a positve attitude to the Dharma, placing his hand beyond our reach in a most compassionate way. He is all about showing the Way; Upaya in person.
    He is retiring, doing less, yet it is now when his presence is most inspiring.

I remember meeting you there and your wife.
    I'll say hi from you; he always keeps abreast.
    Dogen zenji in Bendowa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast