Thread: The Zendo Has No Walls

Yugen

The Zendo Has No Walls

I've been exploring life on and off the zafu - trying to carry the attitude and comportment of zazen beyond thirty or forty minutes of formal sitting into my daily life, so that ultimately, it is all practice. I am particularly sensitive to this as a priest-in-training. My practice has a newness to it, like a newborn opening its eyes for the first time.

Is there a point where the attitude of zazen is not limited to the cushion? Nanao Sakaki was once asked how long per day he sat, and answered "I used to do zazen three to four hours per day - and then while I was brushing my teeth I realized that was zazen too..."

This is not to say that we stop doing "formal" zazen, but at some point life becomes zazen and zazen is life.

As part of my Engaged Projects work, I have been volunteering at a nonprofit art project for adults with disabilities. Through our artistic expression, the (dis) drops away from 'ability' and we discover our common humanity - the only differences we have are the ones we impose with our discriminating minds. This place has become a zendo, a place of practice for me. The walls of my zendo are expanding to include my life's activities and interactions.

I was picking my son up from school today, and I stopped to say hello to the crossing guard. I asked her how she was doing and she did me the privilege of being honest and saying "not so good." When I asked why, she told me her sciatica had been acting up for over a month and walking was painful. Despite this, she has been showing up for crossing guard duty morning and afternoon each day, walking back and forth in the crosswalk, in pain, because "these are my kids."

The gifts and lessons of practice are available to us at all times - not just on the zafu - life living itself. Despite the pain, maybe because of the pain, we find the essential truth. Sometimes we just keep going because that's all we can do.

My Zendo is boundless and wide, like the ocean, like the Dharma.

Deep bows
    Yugen
    Last edited by Yugen; 10-17-2013 at 08:37 PM.

Wise words, Yugen. Thank you for your practice. I guess the aim for all of us is to widen the walls of our Zendo until it includes all of life.

Deep bows
    Andy

Wonderful and inspiring Yugen.
    Our practice has to include the whole universe, everything here in this moment.
    Gassho.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk
    Heisoku 平 息
    Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)

Thank you. Wonderful to hear this.

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Yes, our zendo is a place called Universe and there's dharma everywhere.

We just have to open our eyes and hearts and it is there.

Whenever you see the crossing guard, please tell her she has many friends here.

Gassho for you and for her,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

I was picking my son up from school today, and I stopped to say hello to the crossing guard. I asked her how she was doing and she did me the privilege of being honest and saying "not so good." When I asked why, she told me her sciatica had been acting up for over a month and walking was painful. Despite this, she has been showing up for crossing guard duty morning and afternoon each day, walking back and forth in the crosswalk, in pain, because "these are my kids."
    I can see her smile. I truly love teaching moments whether we are being taught, or are helping to instruct someone else. These give and take moments...just like the breath in zazen.

Thank you so much for sharing and reminding us of this.

Kelly/Jinmei

Thank you.

Gassho,
    Edward
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Thank you so much for sharing your gift of practice with us.

Gassho,
    Heishu

“Blessed are the flexible, for they never get bent out of shape." Author Unknown

Mp
    Wonderful Yugen ... "life living itself" ... love it.

Gassho
    Shingen

Quote Originally Posted by Yugen View Post
    I've been exploring life on and off the zafu - trying to carry the attitude and comportment of zazen beyond thirty or forty minutes of formal sitting into my daily life, so that ultimately, it is all practice.

Is there a point where the attitude of zazen is not limited to the cushion? Nanao Sakaki was once asked how long per day he sat, and answered "I used to do zazen three to four hours per day - and then while I was brushing my teeth I realized that was zazen too..."

This is not to say that we stop doing "formal" zazen, but at some point life becomes zazen and zazen is life.

As part of my Engaged Projects work, I have been volunteering at a nonprofit art project for adults with disabilities. Through our artistic expression, the (dis) drops away from 'ability' and we discover our common humanity - the only differences we have are the ones we impose with our discriminating minds. This place has become a zendo, a place of practice for me. The walls of my zendo are expanding to include my life's activities and interactions.

The gifts and lessons of practice are available to us at all times - not just on the zafu - life living itself. Despite the pain, maybe because of the pain, we find the essential truth. Sometimes we just keep going because that's all we can do.

Deep bows
    Yugen

Boundless indeed.

Rafael

Fantastic, brother.
    Deep bows.
    Myozan

Nindo
    Deep bows.
    Nindo

Joyo
    Quote Originally Posted by Yugen View Post
    I've been exploring life on and off the zafu - trying to carry the attitude and comportment of zazen beyond thirty or forty minutes of formal sitting into my daily life, so that ultimately, it is all practice. I am particularly sensitive to this as a priest-in-training. My practice has a newness to it, like a newborn opening its eyes for the first time.

Deep bows
    Yugen

Yugen, thank you for sharing. I have been struggling with my youngest son's behaviour for months and months now. He is very, very defiant and strong-willed to the core. Today was an extra challenging day and I just felt like I did not know how I was going to go on anymore. But, your words give me the encouragement to keep going, despite the pain it feels to parent such a child, this too is my practice.

With deep bows,
    Treena

Gassho Yugen

Daido

Yugen
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmy View Post
    Yugen, thank you for sharing. I have been struggling with my youngest son's behaviour for months and months now. He is very, very defiant and strong-willed to the core. Today was an extra challenging day and I just felt like I did not know how I was going to go on anymore. But, your words give me the encouragement to keep going, despite the pain it feels to parent such a child, this too is my practice.

With deep bows,
    Treena
    Treena,

I am just a confused novice priest but it seems to me that sometimes the most fruitful and productive practice occurs in the places where we least expect or want. Hang in there. If the best we can do is to put one foot forward at a time, then that's what we do.

Thank you for sharing your experience with me. My son used to bang his head on the floor and make himself throw up before he would pick up his toys or take a bath. Now he's eighteen, flies planes, does engineering and has a smile like a beautiful sunrise and I can barely keep up. Being patient was worth it.

Deep bows
    Yugen
    Last edited by Yugen; 10-21-2013 at 04:04 AM.

Daido Loori used to remind people that being a parent and having s normal life living this life meeting the 10000 things was much much harder than being a monastic.
    We have all been there and somehow I am still there ( with a grown up daughter refusing to get in touch and blaming every inch of my flesh-blood-mind for whatever took place more than 10 years ago)
    Patience, patience and remember:no big deal.

Gassho

Taigu

Dear Yugen,

thank you for sharing your insights with us.

Gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen

Hi Yugen,

Thank you for this inspiring post!

Gassho,

Timo
    no thing needs to be added

Thank you.

Gassho,
    Edward
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

thanks Yugen! Life is our zendo indeed...and the only walls it can have, are the ones we decide to put.

Gassho

kb
    Dancing between stillness and motion I find peace.

Thanks for those thoughts. I agree with you. Zazen practice encompasses our whole life and every minute of it. I have read, from the Zen Peace Makers that th epeople who are in need can be also seen as our Bodhissattvas, in a sense. What I mean it that they also teach us, and lead us, into works of love and compassion.

Quote Originally Posted by kidbuda View Post
    thanks Yugen! Life is our zendo indeed...and the only walls it can have, are the ones we decide to put.
    Yes indeed. Thanks, Kid!

Deep bows,

Kyonin
    Last edited by Kyonin; 10-25-2013 at 11:32 AM.
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

I have only just read this. Thank you Yugen.

Deep bows,
    Matt