Thread: Cave of tigers

Cave of tigers

The late and great teacher Daido Loori of the White Plum lineage had a few of his dharma combats and mondo recorded and published in an amazing book. Some 20 years ago I opened this book and could not tell where the tail or the head were, this pile of Zen conversations were impenetrable. I ordered it yesterday on my kindle and could hardly believe it, this is a remarkable book filled with incredible wisdom and sharp compassion, it is as if we an hear his low and deep voice, filled with years of sitting and smoking.
    A very refreshing source of fresh water.

If you fancy entering the cave, come this way...

Gassho

T.
    Last edited by Taigu; 10-13-2013 at 08:52 AM.

Mp
    Wonderful Taigu, I look forward to the adventure.

Gassho
    Shingen

Thank you Taigu.

Rafael

Thank you for this.
    Gassho
    Myozan

Thank you Taigu - always willing to learn
    Gassho
    David

I read this earlier in the year and found it incredibly engaging and helpful on a number of topics.

Although we do not have this kind of dokusan here, I did it once with Dosho Port and my Tibetan teacher used a similar approach with his students. It has the merit of putting you firmly in a place in which the response comes directly from experience rather than intellectual knowing.

Aside from anything else, I love how this book seems to reflect the dedication and personality of John Daido Loori. A very good read and something I will definitely return to.

Gassho
    Andy

Thank you.

Gassho,
    Edward
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

I love John Daido Loori. Very clear teachings that can readily be accessed by beginners who aren't well-versed in speaking 'zen speak' yet, as I've been for a hundred years. Naturally, the highest truths can't be expounded, but everything else is nicely set forth, at least I suppose they are. Up there with Sheng-Yen fashi as one of my favourite modern teachers.

Actually read Upaya's reader on shikantaza this afternoon and enjoyed Loori's exposition of the practice.

especially liked this part:

Dahui's criticism of silent illumination was partly valid, based on the legitimate danger of
    practitioners misunderstanding this approach as quietistic or passive. Dahui's critique was
    echoed centuries later by Japanese Rinzai critics of just sitting, such as Hakuin in the
    seventeenth century. Just sitting can indeed sometimes degenerate into dull attachment to
    inner bliss states, with no responsiveness to the suffering of the surrounding world.
    Hongzhi clarifies that this is not the intention of his practice, for example when he says,
    "In wonder return to the journey, avail yourself of the path and walk ahead. . . . With the
    hundred grass tips in the busy marketplace graciously share yourself."[11] The
    meditation advocated by both Hongzhi and Dogen is firmly rooted in the bodhisattva path
    and its liberative purpose of assisting and awakening beings. Mere idle indulgence in
    peacefulness and bliss is not the point.
    Bold parts are my favourite.

Gassho,
    Ben

If you fancy entering the cave, come this way...

.......OK.
    Gashho
    Heisoku 平 息
    Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)

Entering this cave, I shall. _/\_

Gassho,

Lu
    Shinjin datsuraku, datsuraku shinjin..Body-mind drop off, mind-body drop off..

I enter the cave too.

Gassho Daizan

oh cool... I've always been on the fence about this book; I'll have to read it.

Gassho,

Risho

I shall enter the cave soon.

Hope the tiger doesn't like Mexican meat...

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

I hope it does!

Leaping into
    Space-flesh-mind
    Tiger

Nothing should remain of you.

And... you are one of them.

Gassho

T.

Quote Originally Posted by Taigu View Post
    I hope it does!

Leaping into
    Space-flesh-mind
    Tiger

Nothing should remain of you.

And... you are one of them.

Gassho

T.
    Speechless.

Thank you, Teacher.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

I'll be descending into the depths with you all -- as soon as my guide gets here from the bookstore...
    Gassho,
    Dan

You are the territory, the traveller, the path, the goal and the guide. All you get from the bookshop is a mirror.

Gassho

T.

You are the territory, the traveller, the path, the goal and the guide. All you get from the bookshop is a mirror.

Gassho

T.
    Yea!! letīs keep rolling.

Gassho.

kb
    Dancing between stillness and motion I find peace.

Enter the cave at your risk, for you might lose your head before you see it coming.
    Humbly,
    清竜 Seiryu

The book is ordered. A voice conditioned by years of sitting and smoking sounds good right now. Thank you, Taigu.

Gassho Daizan

Gassho

T.

Willow

Mp

Gassho

T.
    Beautiful Taigu ... I once heard a quote that said, " we have eyes to see others, but we need a mirror to see ourselves".

Gassho
    Shingen

Adventure ordered. Thank you for the opportunity Taigu.

Gassho
    Seimyo

明 Seimyō (Christhatischris)