Thread: A Zen Tale

Mp

A Zen Tale

This is pretty sweet, enjoy!

Gassho
    Shingen

Joyo
    That is quite the tale, so much wisdom there. I need to think about this for awhile.

Treena

Lovely, lovely tale. Thank you, Shingen.

Reminds me of when (true story) I first came to Japan and met my first real-life Japanese "Zen Master" (my first teacher, Azuma Roshi of Sojiji). I promptly proceeded to ask him the big questions, one of which was "What is Time? What is the NOW?"

His answer: "Now 5:30"

Wow, I thought. HOW PROFOUND! He must mean "time is just what it is!" and it is "Now! Just this moment, 5:30!!"

Instead, I later found out that his English was not so good, and he just thought I was asking what time it was.

Yes, that is a Truth too.

Gassho, J
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Love this. It's amazing what perceptions can result in! On a side note, I'd be more than happy to eat noodles with any of these crazy old farts!

Gassho, Jeffrey
    "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."
    Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Thank you.

Gassho,
    Edward
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Lovely, lovely tale. Thank you, Shingen.

Reminds me of when (true story) I first came to Japan and met my first real-life Japanese "Zen Master" (my first teacher, Azuma Roshi of Sojiji). I promptly proceeded to ask him the big questions, one of which was "What is Time? What is the NOW?"

His answer: "Now 5:30"

Wow, I thought. HOW PROFOUND! He must mean "time is just what it is!" and it is "Now! Just this moment, 5:30!!"

Instead, I later found out that his English was not so good, and he just thought I was asking what time it was.

Yes, that is a Truth too.

Gassho, J
    Thank you Jundo, that gave me a nice chuckle in this morning. Perception - such a funny little thing.

Gassho
    Shingen

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyB View Post
    Love this. It's amazing what perceptions can result in! On a side note, I'd be more than happy to eat noodles with any of these crazy old farts!

Gassho, Jeffrey

**Slurp Slurp**

Gassho
    Shingen

Joyo
    Perceptions, so, so important to live a life with the right perceptions, at least whenever we can.

Jundo, your story is so funny!! I have to admit, what I got most from the video is thinking I'm hungry and those noodles (minus the bad manners and slurping ) look really good.

Treena

Actually, in Japan it is good manners to slurp noodles; one is encouraged to do so.
    ( and it is now 8:36 am )

gassho,
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Joyo
    Quote Originally Posted by Shokai View Post
    Actually, in Japan it is good manners to slurp noodles; one is encouraged to do so.
    ( and it is now 8:36 am )

gassho,
    I"m Canadian, eh, we are all about being polite all the time, eh?

Treena

Japanese people are very polite as well. Eating noodles is another practice :-)

Sent from my Note 2 using Tapatalk4
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Joyo
    Yes, yes, Japanese ppl are very polite I was only joking about the noodles, btw, I like to eat my spaghetti this way.

Treena

Love this Shingen! And I love your story too Jundo! Some days we could all use a different perspective.

Gassho,
    Kelly/Jinmei

Thanks Shingen that was great! Jundo that little story of yours is so full of lessons on this, and it is funny because it is true. We come to things with such BIG expectations only to find it is what it is.

I am reminded of some Buddhist debate where two Masters got together to have a Dharma talk. One participant put an orange in the hand of one of the Masters and said "What is this?" The audience waited expectantly until the Master with the orange said "Don't be silly; it's an orange."

Jajajjaaj loved the video and Jundo´s story!!
    Nice reminder.

Gassho
    Dancing between stillness and motion I find peace.