Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why do you practice Zen?

A couple of Kodo Sawaki quotes on Satori ...

We don’t practice in order to get satori. It’s satori that pulls our practice. We practice, being dragged all over by satori.

You don’t seek the way. The way seeks you.

You study, you do sports, and you’re fixated on satori and illusion. So that even zazen becomes a marathon for you, with satori as the finish line. Yet because you’re trying to grab it, you’re missing it completely.

Only when you stop meddling like this does your original, cosmic nature realize itself.

You say you’re seeking the way, but what does it mean if you’re seeking the way just to satisfy yourself?

You want to become a buddha? There’s no need to become a buddha! Now is simply now. You are simply you. And tell me, since you want to leave the place where you are,where is it exactly you want to go?

Zazen means just sitting without even thinking of becoming buddha.

We don’t achieve satori through practice: practice is satori. Each and every step is the goal.
    Don’t take pride in your practice. It’s clear that any satori you take pride in is a lie.

You’ve got it backwards if you talk about stages of practice. Practice is satori.

Satori is like a thief breaking into an empty house. He breaks in but there’s nothing to steal. No reason to flee. No one who chases him. So there’s nothing which could satisfy him either.
    The buddha-dharma is immeasurable and unlimited. How could it ever have been made to fit into your categories.

No matter what you are grasping for, it’s limited.

In any case, only things for ordinary people can be grasped. Grasping for money, clinging to health, being attached to position and title, grasping for satori – everything you grasp only becomes the property of an ordinary person. Letting go of ordinary people’s property – that’s what it means to be a buddha.

When peace of mind only means your personal satisfaction, then it’s got nothing to do with the buddha-dharma.

The buddha-dharma teaches limitlessness. That which is measureless has to be accepted without complaint.

You lack peace of mind because you’re running after an idea of total peace of mind. That’s backwards. Be attentive to your mind in each moment, no matter how unpeaceful it might seem to be. Great peace of mind is realized only in the practice within this unpeaceful mind. It arises out of the interplay between peaceful and unpeaceful mind.

A peace of mind that is totally at peace would be nothing more than something ready made. Real peace of mind only exists within unpeaceful mind.

When dissatisfaction is finally accepted as dissatisfaction, peace of mind reigns. It’s the mind of a person who had been deaf to criticism when he finally listens to others talking about his mistakes. It’s the mind of a person who, naked and begging for his life, suddenly dies peacefully. It’s the mind of a person who has suddenly lost the beggar who had been pulling at his sleeve, relentlessly following him around everywhere,. It’s the mind after the flood in which the make-up of piety has washed away.

How could a human being ever have peace of mind? The real question is what you’re doing with this human life. What you’re doing with this stinking sack of flesh, that’s the issue.
    http://antaiji.dogen-zen.de/eng/kodo...i-to-you.shtml
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Mp
    Those Sawaki quotes are great Jundo, thank you.

Gassho
    Shingen

Thanks for the clarification , Jundo.

Dave _/\_

I do zazen because i get zazen hungry twice a day. when i started i had wants; things that i wanted out of my sittings. now my sitting itself has become a need

Good to see, shikantazen.
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Wonderful quotes - such clarity.

Gassho

Willow

Sawaki Roshi is always so honest and direct.

He always hit me in the head like a speeding truck.

Thank you for the quotes.

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Quote Originally Posted by shikantazen View Post
    I do zazen because i get zazen hungry twice a day. when i started i had wants; things that i wanted out of my sittings. now my sitting itself has become a need

this is wonderfully said and I believe is descriptive of my experience also. so often between actual sittings I find myself to have lapsed into my resolute Mr. Self, fearless in expression.

who needs to sit?
    and neither are they otherwise.

Hello,

the next time someone asks me why I sit Shikantaza, I'll probably just stay silent and link to the following video:

One could say I sit to become ever more intimate and at ease with that non-place whence happiness and sadness come from. Which is everywhere and always, beyond space and beyond time. HERE, inside and behind the eyes that read this.

Gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen

Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post

that non-place whence happiness and sadness come from
    gassho

Rob
    and neither are they otherwise.

Thanks for the link Hans. It made my morning.

Gassho

Shugen
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Mp
    Thanks Han ... I saw this video yesterday, excellent!

Gassho
    Shingen

Kantai
    Funny and well said.
    Thank´s Hans!

Gassho
    Ed

Thanks Hans. Amazing, glad to watch that. ... and said to such a large viewing audience.

Daizan /\

Thanks Hans.

Made my day.

Heishu

“Blessed are the flexible, for they never get bent out of shape." Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    Hello,

the next time someone asks me why I sit Shikantaza, I'll probably just stay silent and link to the following video:

[video]

One could say I sit to become ever more intimate and at ease with that non-place whence happiness and sadness come from. Which is everywhere and always, beyond space and beyond time. HERE, inside and behind the eyes that read this.

Gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen
    Love this, so funny and true, thanks for sharing

Metta, Troy

Louis CK is one of the smartest men I have ever listened to. Plus he is super funny.

He nails perfectly what it is to be human and skims away all the crap

Thank you, Hans!

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Per C.K. Louis realization: goose-bumps and tears and smiling.

Thank you,

Gassho,
    Edward
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12