Thread: I just read this on facebook, thought I would share...

Joyo

I just read this on facebook, thought I would share...

"The most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind. There is no need to have a deep understanding of Zen. Even though you read much Zen literature, you must read each sentence with a fresh mind. You should not say, "I know what Zen is," or "I have attained enlightenment." This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner. Be very very careful about this point. If you start to practice zazen, you will begin to appreciate your beginner's mind. It is the secret of Zen practice."

~Shunryu Suzuki~
    Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind

Gassho,
    Treena

Mp
    Thank you Treena, I have always enjoyed Suski Roshi's approach on beginners mind.

Gassho
    Shingen

Thank you, Treena. Yes, always maintain beginner's mind, even as one matures in this Practice, learns a bit more. There is nothing to attain, nor a matter of time, and we do get better with time at such non-attaining.

Gassho, J
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Ordinary mind is the way.

Thank you Treena,

Gassho,
    Edward
    "Recognize suffering, remove suffering." - Shakyamuni Buddha when asked, "Uhm . . .what?"

"You should not say, "I know what Zen is," or "I have attained enlightenment.""

Thanks for the reminder. Beginners mind = don't know mind.
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

for me, this is best reflected in work. Whenever I change companies, during the beginning stages, I don't mind people telling me rules, correcting me or bossing me over. But as I spend some time there and gain experience, slowly these same things become a problem. The beginner mindset is not there anymore. I start considering myself an expert and do not like people correcting me or telling me rules etc...; As a result I start resisting and that resistance itself becomes my problem and ultimately leads to my downfall.

- Sam

I think that is very true, Sam, that the problem comes when we consider ourselves experts. And, as any driver instructor will tell you, the longer we do something, the more bad habits we are likely to get but as experts you can't tell us different!

Thank you for posting the quote, Treena.

Gassho
    Andy

Being able to simply be without buying into the "I'm an expert" thing is difficult. There is where our practice is.

Thank you.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Thank you Treena. Such a useful reminder for a know it all kid like me

Gassho,
    Joe

Joyo
    Yes, I agree with Sam and the others. Since practicing Zen, I realize that I do have areas where that "expert" mentality creeps in and gets in the way!