Thread: Special Zazen this SUNDAY NIGHT with Rev. KOUN FRANZ! - Need 6 Participants to Commit

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Special Zazen this SUNDAY NIGHT with Rev. KOUN FRANZ! - Need 6 Participants to Commit

ATTENTION: DUE TO A SICK CHILD IN KOUN'S HOUSE, WE MUST MAKE A LAST MINUTE RESCHEDULING OF THIS EVENT TO ANOTHER DAY. NOT SURE YET WHEN, PLEASE CHECK BACK.

I HAVE INFORMED KOUN THAT SICK KIDS ARE AT THE HEART OF OUR PRACTICE AT TREELEAF, SO WE COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND AND ARE SITTING FOR HIS FAST RECOVERY.

Dear All,

It is an old tradition to have visiting Teachers come to other Sangha to offer a talk and lead Zazen. I pleased to say that, this Sunday Night (America Time) May 26th, the Rev. Koun Franz will be doing so at Treeleaf!

First, a word about logistics ...

Koun's Zazen and Talk will commence from 11am Japan time Monday morning, which is New York 10pm, Los Angeles 7pm (Sunday night). Unfortunately, because the world is round, that is London 3am and Paris 5am (early Monday morning), that may make it difficult for any of our members in Europe to join live this time, for which I apologize.

The sesshin will be 60 to 90 minutes long, and consist of 30 minutes of Zazen, a talk by Rev. Koun, and then a Q&A from those there.

I need 5 individuals, all familiar with how a Google+ Hangout works, who can firmly commit now to being with us live to join the Hangout for Koun's Talk. Please post below if you can so commit, and I will contact you. We want to fill the seats for his talk.

Now, a word about Koun Franz ...

Koun Franz is a Sōtō Zen priest born in Helena, Montana. He has spent more than half of his adult life in Japan. He was ordained in 2001, then trained at Zuioji and Shogoji monasteries. From 2006 to 2010, he served as resident priest of the Anchorage Zen Community. Two years ago, Koun and his family moved back to Japan (Kumamoto), where he studies, trains, lectures, and does Buddhist-related translation work. He is also a practitioner of sewing the Nyoho-e Kesa, as we are at Treeleaf. His always very interesting blog is ...

http://nyoho.com/

Koun is a great champion of preserving the Ways and Traditions of monastic Practice, and has been very active in organizing an international Ango, a three month special Retreat period, at Shogoji Temple in Japan to host non-Japanese priests and teach them the traditional ways of Japanese Soto Zen. He hosted our Mongen at Shogoji for a week or so a couple of years ago. At the same time, Koun is a dad with small kids, and believes in the Practice of Daily Life too.

Even if you cannot join us as part of the Hangout, I hope that all our Sangha members will join us with the recorded version later, or via the live netcast which will be broadcast at the above times (I will post the screen in this forum at netcast time).

We hope that Koun will be the first of many guest speakers and Zazen leaders to visit us. Already, my Dharma Brothers Brad Warner and Gustav Ericsson (who is also a Christian minister) have agreed to offer Zazen here this summer. I will try to schedule the next visit on Europe time!

Gassho, Jundo

Koun:

Last edited by Jundo; 05-26-2013 at 02:54 PM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE