Thread: A must-see film

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

A must-see film

If you haven't already seen this film, I hope that you will take the time to see it.

www.imdb.com/title/tt1212007/

It streams on Netflix currently (who knows for how long because, you know, it's Netflix). For anyone who can't access Netflix, I would go as far as to say you wouldn't regret purchasing this film from Amazon or another outlet.

It's a powerful message about meditation, human nature, and society. It focuses on Vipassana but I think it holds up equally well within the zazen framework. Watch it, at least two or three times. Let me know what you think of it.

Gassho,
    Julia
    "The Girl Dragon Demon", the random Buddhist name generator calls me....you have been warned.

Feed your good wolf.

It is a very moving film. I've watched it a few times, I suggest it often.

Wow! Just watched the trailer for this. Had no idea. Thanks for sharing, I'll be watching this over the weekend.

Gassho
    Matt

Oh, looks great.

In trade, here's another interesting one, also streaming on Netflix (this maybe fits in with all the Adya talk as well). It's about a man who poses as a Guru, and, well, it's more than surprising, and is, frankly, both cringe-inducing and a lot of fun. And yes, there's a little blurb from Deepak (but it's just a film, I'm not trying to spread any spiritual advice here). That's all I say: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1865425/

Thanks again for sharing The Dhamma Bros; looking forward to it!
    Shōmon

I just saw Kumaré too, it was fantastic! Not as directly inspiring for my own practice as DB was though.

Gassho
    Julia
    "The Girl Dragon Demon", the random Buddhist name generator calls me....you have been warned.

Feed your good wolf.

Quote Originally Posted by murasaki View Post
    I just saw Kumaré too, it was fantastic! Not as directly inspiring for my own practice as DB was though.

Gassho
    Julia
    Oh yes, I absolutely agree. I found Kumare more psychologically compelling than inspiring.

Gassho
    Shōmon

That's on my list for the weekend!

Thanks for recommending it

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Thank you for posting it Julia. I have seen it and it is moving.

Prison dharma seems so necessary.

明 Seimyō (Christhatischris)

Sounds great, I'll check it out, thanks.
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Mp
    Thanks Julia, will have to give it a watch.

Gassho
    Shingen

awsome movie. i watched this on youtube, a recording off the OWN network that also featured a pretty cool sitdown oprah has with thich nhat hanh (and yes, he does tell her to "just drink tea"). pretty inspiring to see what happens once the dharma is touched by even the toughest criminals and the ones with the least hope. gassho, justin

**here is the OWN network version, but if you search youtube theres a few different ones that come up, even the one done in the indian prisons.

Yes, I forgot to recommend the film that was the inspiration for the Dhamma Brothers project: "Doing Time, Doing Vipassana". It is good to see both. I really do hope that more prison dhamma projects like this can be implemented. I have been so inspired by this film that I have started to increase my sitting time -- if they can do hours at a time, I can manage half an hour-ish.

Gassho
    Julia

Feed your good wolf.

flybat3
    will totally have to watch....just watched it. going to the hulu version because the different language subtitles made it so i couldn't read what happened to them at the end.
    Last edited by flybat3; 04-24-2013 at 10:25 PM.

I highly recommend both of the above films.

Also, if you can find it, my favorite "Zen Movie" (beyond likes and dislikes, of course! ) ... really, just one of my favorite movies of all time ...

Enlightenment Guaranteed (German with sub-titles)
    Two very different brothers get together for a temporary stay in a Japanese zen monastry. The trip from Germany to Japan brings up some unexpected quests they have to manage. Soon both really have to leave their ordinary lifes behind and are on a voyage to themselves.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0177749/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

jundo, have you seen the master dogen movie?

**the title is just "zen". japanese w/ subtitles.
    Last edited by jus; 04-24-2013 at 03:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jus View Post
    jundo, have you seen the master dogen movie?

**the title is just "zen". japanese w/ subtitles.
    Hey Jus,

Yes! A bit corny and exaggerated in many parts, like any religious biopic movie, but very good and well worth it. It is also available on youtube with permission of the makers, I understand.

Below is my short review.

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showt...ll=1#post20686

Gassho, J
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

haha ok that was going to be my next question then, what you thought of it. i will check the review. youtube is great. i cant even remember all of the zen movies ive seen on there recently. i was listening to the dhammapada on audiobook earlier and now am checking out "amongst the white clouds", about the chinese zen hermit tradition. from what i can tell seems the same as what soto tradition teaches. gassho, justin

Added to my instant queue! I will try to watch it this weekend.

Regarding the Dogen zen movie:

Yes! A bit corny and exaggerated in many parts, like any religious biopic movie, but very good and well worth it. It is also available on youtube with permission of the makers, I understand.
    I really liked that movie... but the satori scene was pretty cheesy. I guess everyone would be at a loss on how to visually demonstrate it, but flying around on a lotus would not have been my first choice. I especially liked the opening scene where he saves the girl. Philosophy in action!
    If I'm already enlightened why the hell is this so hard?

Quote Originally Posted by catfish View Post
    I really liked that movie... but the satori scene was pretty cheesy. I guess everyone would be at a loss on how to visually demonstrate it, but flying around on a lotus would not have been my first choice. I especially liked the opening scene where he saves the girl. Philosophy in action!
    What do you mean? Do you don't have a lotus-mobile?
    Last edited by Jundo; 04-25-2013 at 03:10 AM.

明 Seimyō (Christhatischris)

I really enjoyed this, Julia, and was inspired and humbled by the determination of the prisoners. It is uncomfortable enough for me to sit with thoughts of having shouted at my kids so can't even imagine what it must be like instead to have images of people you have murdered during sitting and the kind of language and violence that can often come as part of prison life.

Is here on you tube:

Gassho
    Andy

Also on hulu with commercials

http://www.hulu.com/watch/255596
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Thanks Julia - have just watched the film - very moving and inspiring.

Gassho

Willow

This looks like a great recommendation. I think it will be tomorrow's TV viewing of choice. I hadn't seen it on Netflix butt i'm stuck in the sci-fi, horror and anime categories. What can I say?

Watched it last night. Was very interesting. Thanks for the recommendation Julia!

Gassho,

Dokan
    We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.
    ~Anaïs Nin

So I watched this gem today. Well it's 5am now haha so yesterday..at any rate. FANTASTIC!!!! I loved it.*SPOILER ALERT* Was sooo sad to see the part where the program got shutdown. sadly, that mentality is what I faced everyday when I lived in Abilene, TX. And the one gentleman ( I can't remember his name) that was transferred and lost his way. He was one of the most inspiring people and was soooo sad to see his face ain the scenes after the transfer.

Great movie! Thanks for the recommendation.

gassho

Eric