Thread: "Fire Monks" by Colleen Morton Busch

"Fire Monks" by Colleen Morton Busch

I recently finished this fine book, a non-fiction retelling of the story of five monks from the San Francisco Zen Center who stayed in the wildnerness to fight a wildfire that threatened the Tassajara monastery during the summer of 2008. The book is outstanding, both as a narrative and as a basic Zen primer, but I do not intend to offer a full review in this post. However, I do recommend that you give it a read if you are so inclined.

One very short portion of the book intrigued me, and that is what I wish to share with you all. At Tassajara, there is a summer guest program where SFZC offers yoga workshops or poetry and art workshops to guests. One of the poetry workshops featured Jane Hirshfield, a poet and lay Priest, who spoke to the guest about Buddhism. She told them that Buddhism was so simple that it could be reduced to seven words, as follows:

"Everything changes. Everything is connected. Pay attention." (i.e. Impermanence. Interdependence. Mindfulness.)

I think this may be a bit of an oversimplification, but in a lovely way. Any thoughts?

Gassho,
    William

Thank you. Lovely.

Gassho, J
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by William Anderson View Post
    "Everything changes. Everything is connected. Pay attention."
    No more simple or complicated than Buddha, Dharma, Sangha

Thanks and gassho

Daido

I agree, Daido.
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

That's a lovely quote. Thanks for sharing.
    Gassho,
    Matt

A nice quote to live by.

Thanks

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Very cool quote. Thank you. But I take offense at the book recommendation; my wife will kill me if I keep buying books. hhahahah

Gassho,

Risho

I might drop in that "everything is connected", yes, but also ...

... "everything is everything in the wholiest-holiest most intimate sense".
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Mp
    Yes, very nice William, thank you.

Gassho
    Shingen

Lovely quote! I have just ordered Jane Hirshfield's latest volume 'Come, Thief' and am looking forward to it.

"amid summer trees
    blue boat high on a
    mountain
    its paint scent drying"