Thread: Rakusu Worn Under Clothes

Rakusu Worn Under Clothes

Hi Taigu and all,
    I read somewhere recently that while Buddhism was suppressed in Japan monks wore the rakusu hidden under lay clothing. Is there any truth to this story does anyone know?
    Gassho
    Myozan
    Last edited by Myozan Kodo; 02-28-2013 at 04:43 PM.

Hi,

I have heard different versions of this story, from China not from Japan:

The rakusu was created during the devastating persecutions of Buddhism in
    China during the 9th century CE. Monastics were forcibly returned to lay life, and some of them made
    rakusus, which could be easily hidden under ordinary clothes, as a miniature version of the robes they were
    no longer allowed to wear.

However, there are alternative origins ...

Some say that it developed during the transition to manual labor in China, because a full kasa was cumbersome. Some say it was originated during a time of persecution, so that Buddhists could wear the kasa, hidden and safe, under their outer clothing. It’s also been suggested that started as simply the “cloth bag that wandering monks wore to carry alms bowl and other small items,” which was later “formalized as a monastic ‘accoutrement’.” There are even Japanese scholars who believe that it was developed in Japan during the Edo or Tokugawa Era, as the result of sumptuary regulations which limited the size and fabric type of clerical wear.

http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma10/robe.html

I know an interesting story from Japan in the other direction. When the so called "hidden Christians" were persecuted in Feudal times, they hid their statues of Mary and Jesus as Kannon ... so called "Maria Kannon" ... Certain signs on it, like a subtle crucifix, show its intended meaning. I have a statue in my house I believe to be so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kakure_Kirishitan

Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-05-2013 at 02:44 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Thanks Jundo. Really interesting. Sometimes I wear a rakusu over my shirt but under my jumper / sweater at work. I work in a secular environment, so, the robe is totally hidden from sight. It reminds me of the way right there in the middle of my working day.
    Gassho
    Myozan

Very interesting!

Thank you, Jundo.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Quote Originally Posted by Myozan Kodo View Post
    Thanks Jundo. Really interesting. Sometimes I wear a rakusu over my shirt but under my jumper / sweater at work. I work in a secular environment, so, the robe is totally hidden from sight. It reminds me of the way right there in the middle of my working day.
    Gassho
    Myozan
    Hmm. Not so common to hide the Rakusu under a sweater, but if it is okay with Taigu it is fine with me.

Most Japanese priests I know (as far as I know), either wear theirs or take them off. Nishijima Roshi often wore a business suit and would wear a Rakusu or full Kesa over it when lecturing and such ...

... but for business, would keep his folded in its bag when not wearing it, or for example, on the train.

Gassho, J
    Last edited by Jundo; 03-05-2013 at 02:45 AM.

Hi,
    Thanks Jundo. I usually do take mine off. This is something I do on occasion. I've mentioned it to Taigu a few times over the last few years.

If the story is true that the hidden rakusu is part of the tradition, then this way of wearing the rakusu does, in a way, pay homage to that tradition. Doesn't it?

Of course, I will take instruction on this.

By the way, I also take my rakusu if I'm travelling, going on a hike, etc. I always remember Taigu's teachings from those original YouTube films on this. What? Four or five years ago now? Filmed in a hot Japanese summer, in Jundo's place, I think.

Did you know people in other sangha are now using those films in sewing? I know the SFZC people are.

A great contribution to the history of the robe.

Gassho
    Myozan

Fascinating thread. A lesson a day. Thanks for sharing!

Gassho
    Matt

I don' t know if monks were hiding their rakusus under their clothing, Myozan.

Take care

Gassho

T.

Hi,
    It seems there are many stories connected with the rakusu. It is a story that makes sense, however. It does seem credible. Here, when Catholicism was suppressed, priests dressed in lay clothing and went among the people. There were secret masses, etc. Was Buddhism seriously suppressed in Japan? I have to look into the history...
    Gassho
    Myozan

This is a good place to put an old visit with Nishijima Roshi when he was in better health than today. His subject was wearing the Kesa (called "Kāṣāya" in Sanscrit). The sit-a-long was recorded in his tiny retirement apartment ...

Gassho, J

I never noticed before that Nishijima Roshi is in a movie called "The Zen Mind" that I watched years ago.

求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Thank you Myozan for this thread also Jundo and Geika for the video clips. I received a copy of the Shobogenzo upon joining the zazen group at Shokoji in Yamane-cho in Hiroshima and subsequently lost it in moving. It wasn't until around 2004 that I was reminded of it and started to search on the internet where i became familiar with Nishijima-roshi and his work and came across Treeleaf a few years later as a result. Following that I of course learned of the kasaya and rakusu; those funny things I had seen some of the zazen group wearing. Most of all i am thankful for these endearing images of our Dharma Grandad gleaned from your vids.
    Nishijima.jpg

gassho, Shokai
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Did you know people in other sangha are now using those films in sewing? I know the SFZC people are.
    That might be happening around here, too. Last fall I sat with a local group a couple times. One person was making a rakusu but had stalled on a tricky part. I told her about how I made mine from the videos, and how we had a sort of virtual sewing circle here, and for the first time since I'd mentioned being part of an online sangha, a light seemed to go on. "Sewing circle, of course!" '

Gassho,

Jen

Quote Originally Posted by Shokai View Post
    Thank you Myozan for this thread also Jundo and Geika for the video clips.
    You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Shokai View Post
    Most of all i am thankful for these endearing images of our Dharma Grandad gleaned from your vids.
    Me too

Gassho
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.