Results 1 to 47 of 47

Thread: Insight Timer: Treeleaf Group

  1. #1
    Treeleaf Engineer Seimyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Yuba City, California, USA

    Smile Insight Timer: Treeleaf Group

    Hi all!
    I know there are some folks on Treeleaf including myself that use the 'Insight Timer' app on the iPhone/iPad/Android to track your zazen times. There's a new function that has been added to the app that allows the user to join 'groups' of other Insight Timer users. I've taken the liberty of creating a Treeleaf group that will allow us to more easily identify our fellow Treeleafers within the app. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, click here.

    Simply touch on the 'Insight Connect' button on the main menu. This will take you to the 'community' page where at the bottom of the screen you should see 'Groups', touch there. Browse the available groups until you find Treeleaf and join! Have fun.

    Gassho,
    Seimyo
    Last edited by Jundo; 11-04-2016 at 03:02 AM.

    明 Seimyō (Christhatischris)

  2. #2
    thanks Siemyo, I've used that app exclusively for timing my sits for several months but wasn't aware of the new function.

    see you online/ onphone/ the web is my temple (too) -Robert
    and neither are they otherwise.


  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Seimyo View Post
    Browse the available groups until you find Treeleaf and join!
    I can get to the Treeleaf group page but don't see anywhere to "join group"
    and neither are they otherwise.


  4. #4
    Same here. Found it but no join button.

  5. #5
    I just joined... once you find the group, click on it, it will open a new screen with the description of the group, and the join button will be below

    Great idea Seimyo

    Gassho
    ______________________________
    Kōshin / Leo



    P.S. Yup, I know, my English sucks

  6. #6
    Thanks Seimyo! I've been using Insight Timer for awhile and love it. But I didn't know about that feature--really cool!--I'll look forward to sitting with all of you.

    Gassho,

    Jeff

  7. #7
    Thanks Seimyo ... I have downloaded, installed, and connected to the Treeleaf Group.

    Gassho
    Shingen
    RINDO SHINGEN
    倫道 真現

    As a trainee priest, please take any commentary by me on matters of the Dharma with a pinch of salt.

  8. #8
    Finally was able to join. Thank you.
    Gassho
    Lee

  9. #9
    Crappers, I have an older iPod touch; I can't download the app version that supports groups. but once I can I will, I use that time almost every time I sit.

  10. #10
    Thank you Seimyo! I've been using another timer app but I like the connectivity of insight timer much better!

    Gassho
    Kia

  11. #11
    Wow this is cool! It's wonderful that so many different platforms all being brought together as this one whole we call Treeleaf! Great work Seimyo!

    Gassho,
    Hoyu
    Ho (Dharma)
    Yu (Hot Water)

  12. #12
    Well I signed up but like some other posts there is no join button to connect with the Treeleaf group. Seimyo can you invite me to join please. I think this must be an iPad issue?
    Heisoku
    平 息

  13. #13
    Well I guess I just needed to sit and wait till the system logged me in. All is well and it is a great app, thanks.
    Heisoku
    平 息

  14. #14
    This is awesome, I'm setting it up right now!
    _/\_
    Jigetsu

  15. #15
    I use Insight Timer, but I'm usually offline when I sit.

  16. #16
    I'll keep at it until I'm able to join. It's acting up a bit at the moment.
    Diligently attain nothing. Sort of. Best not to over-think it.
    http://gplus.to/sydneytinker

  17. #17
    I only created an account with the app to join the Treeleaf group, but now I see I've missed out a bit. Now it's tracking the time I spend using the app for timed practice, which might be a "good" thing.
    Diligently attain nothing. Sort of. Best not to over-think it.
    http://gplus.to/sydneytinker

  18. #18
    Wow! That's rad! Thanks!!

    Gassho.

  19. #19
    Member Geika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Diego County, California
    I cannot for the life of me figure out how to join this group!
    迎 Geika

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
    I cannot for the life of me figure out how to join this group!
    I was mystified, but it turned out I had to just wait for a few hours before a [Join Group] button appeared when I visited the Treeleaf group page.
    Diligently attain nothing. Sort of. Best not to over-think it.
    http://gplus.to/sydneytinker

  21. #21
    Treeleaf Engineer Seimyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Yuba City, California, USA
    Sorry. It does seem like their system takes a long time to update. Know that it will eventually show up.

    Gassho.
    Seimyo

    明 Seimyō (Christhatischris)

  22. #22
    For those having difficulties registering:

    1) On the start screen: Select “Insight Connect”.
    2) Select icon “Groups” below on the screen that appears.
    3) Scroll down. Select Search button. In field “Search Groups” enter Treeleaf.
    4) “Treeleaf Zendo” is displayed on top. Select it.
    5) On the next screen scroll down and select “Join this group”.

    Done!

    Normally, I use a different app (Zazen Meditation Timer for Android), but from time to time I will use Insight Timer on my iPod touch (offline though).

    Gassho,

    Timo
    no thing needs to be added

  23. #23
    Member Geika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Diego County, California
    It did take time for the join button to show up. It is fixed now, thanks.
    迎 Geika

  24. #24
    I've been using Insight Timer on my Droids for a few years now and I love it. Creating a Treeleaf group was a great idea. Thanks Seimyo.
    Neika / Ian Adams

    寧 Nei - Peaceful/Courteous
    火 Ka - Fire

    Look for Buddha outside your own mind, and Buddha becomes the devil. --Dogen

  25. #25
    Thank you Seimyo. I have joined.
    Gassho,
    Onken

  26. #26
    Member Geika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Diego County, California
    I've been having a nice time with this app.
    迎 Geika

  27. #27
    I've also been using the insight timer. Does generate a bit of a craving, but I recognize that and it will change as the time is appropriate.
    Sat today

    Tom

  28. #28
    I've just been trying to set this up - is the Treeleaf group still there?

    I have the latest Insight Timer app on iPhone, but I can't find the Insight Connect button. And some options in the app are producing error messages (eg "The page you were looking for doesn't exist).

    Any help much appreciated!

    Gassho,
    Nick

    Sat today & LAH

  29. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Taiten View Post
    I've just been trying to set this up - is the Treeleaf group still there?

    I have the latest Insight Timer app on iPhone, but I can't find the Insight Connect button. And some options in the app are producing error messages (eg "The page you were looking for doesn't exist).

    Any help much appreciated!

    Gassho,
    Nick

    Sat today & LAH
    Hi Nick,

    Welcome to Treeleaf! Yes, we are still on there. I'm on a Kindle so my interface is different, but do you see anything that says "Groups"?

    Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat + lah
    Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

  30. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Taiten View Post
    I've just been trying to set this up - is the Treeleaf group still there?

    I have the latest Insight Timer app on iPhone, but I can't find the Insight Connect button. And some options in the app are producing error messages (eg "The page you were looking for doesn't exist).

    Any help much appreciated!

    Gassho,
    Nick

    Sat today & LAH
    Hello Nick,

    It sure is ... Here is a screenshot on an Android device...hooe this helps.

    You can see I am on the third icon from the left on the bottom ... In the search box tyoe Treeleaf Zendo and you should see it like the post above. =)

    Gassho
    Shingen

    Sat/LAH
    RINDO SHINGEN
    倫道 真現

    As a trainee priest, please take any commentary by me on matters of the Dharma with a pinch of salt.

  31. #31
    Hi Shingen,

    Thanks so much for the screen-shot - it showed me what was meant to happen! I'd tried the group icon (inbetween the timer and the person) and the app was giving me an error message instead of the screen you posted.

    Fortunately, un-installing the app and then re-installing it has fixed it

    Gassho,
    Nick

    Sat today & LAH

  32. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Taiten View Post
    Hi Shingen,

    Thanks so much for the screen-shot - it showed me what was meant to happen! I'd tried the group icon (inbetween the timer and the person) and the app was giving me an error message instead of the screen you posted.

    Fortunately, un-installing the app and then re-installing it has fixed it

    Gassho,
    Nick

    Sat today & LAH
    Awesome Nick, glad two minds coming together fixed it. =)

    Gassho
    Shingen

    Sat/LAH
    RINDO SHINGEN
    倫道 真現

    As a trainee priest, please take any commentary by me on matters of the Dharma with a pinch of salt.

  33. #33
    The only question I'm left with is... why this app?

    Is the interactive component simply that after sitting you can post a message to the treeleaf group on the app saying that you sat? Or is there more to it?

    I've normally been using an app called Belfast Zen which has a much more minimalist interface which I like.

    Gassho,
    Nick

    Sat today & LAH
    Last edited by Taiten; 10-28-2017 at 05:18 PM.

  34. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Taiten View Post
    The only question I'm left with is... why this app?

    Is the interactive component simply that after sitting you can post a message to the treeleaf group on the app saying that you sat? Or is there more to it?

    I've normally been using an app called Belfast Zen which has a much more minimalist interface which I like.

    Gassho,
    Nick

    Sat today & LAH
    Hi Nick,

    For me there are a few reasons to love Insight Timer. One is accountability, reporting that you did sit today. Another is offering your sit to others, in a way, encouraging and motivating them to sit too. Another is being able to see who's sitting - live - at the same time, which is a nice feeling. Also I just really like the bells. They're nice, and I can program a full zazenkai with bells and whistles and clappers and not have to fiddle with it. And it's also a little more casual atmosphere there, you can chat a bit about things you wouldn't necessarily start a thread for here, like, just the weather where you are, or how your day is, or your miserable cold, the kind of thing you'd chat about while walking out of the zendo maybe.

    Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat + lah
    Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

  35. #35
    Hi Byokan,

    Thank you

    Much to reflect on. It took me a long while to stop beating myself up when I didn't meditate that day or that week, and I was reacting against having 'progress' and 'milestones'. But perhaps I could hold these things lightly...

    Gassho,
    Nick

  36. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Taiten View Post
    Hi Byokan,

    Thank you

    Much to reflect on. It took me a long while to stop beating myself up when I didn't meditate that day or that week, and I was reacting against having 'progress' and 'milestones'. But perhaps I could hold these things lightly...

    Gassho,
    Nick
    Hi Nick

    I’d strongly suggest you turn the milestones off and ignore all the other statistics that IT provides. If you are like me you’ll find all the striving for achievement to be more of a hindrance than a help with your practice.

    Gassho
    Warren
    Sat today

  37. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Taiten View Post
    Hi Byokan,

    Thank you

    Much to reflect on. It took me a long while to stop beating myself up when I didn't meditate that day or that week, and I was reacting against having 'progress' and 'milestones'. But perhaps I could hold these things lightly...

    Gassho,
    Nick
    Ah yes, the milestones! Lots of people find them motivating, some people find them oppressive. You can turn them off in the options. I have.

    Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat + lah
    Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

  38. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by awarren View Post
    Hi Nick

    I’d strongly suggest you turn the milestones off and ignore all the other statistics that IT provides. If you are like me you’ll find all the striving for achievement to be more of a hindrance than a help with your practice.

    Gassho
    Warren
    Sat today

    Yes, yes. Sit diligently, each day, but without measure or milestones. This is vital. Please see here ...

    SIT-A-LONG with Jundo: - Watching The Clock Rackin Up Points
    https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/show...ckin-Up-Points

    Gassho, Jundo

    SatTodayLAH

    PS - Insight is great. Weren't we also going to revive our old, minimalist, Treeleaf Timers? It might be good to just get those up on our homepage somewhere, just for people who do want just the "bells with no whistles."
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

  39. #39
    Treeleaf Unsui / Engineer Sekishi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Byokan View Post
    One is accountability, reporting that you did sit today. Another is offering your sit to others, in a way, encouraging and motivating them to sit too.
    I want to second Byokan’s observation here.

    IT has helped me with a little motivational boost from time to time (“but I don’t WANNA sit!”). For Ango last year I vowed to sit every day without fail. IT helped because of the accountability. Then they introduced the “365 days of sitting” group this year so I kept going to help motivate others in their practice.

    I find it positive, but if it seems too complicated or the “gold stars for sitting” is crazymaking, that’s OK too.

    Gassho,
    Sekishi #sat







    Sent from my Tricorder using Tapatalk Pro
    sekishi
    石志

    As a novice priest-in-training, this is simply an expression of my opinion. Please take it with a grain of salt.

  40. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
    I was mystified, but it turned out I had to just wait for a few hours before a [Join Group] button appeared when I visited the Treeleaf group page.
    I'll say this much for the Insight Timer. I dropped off the face of the earth for a while (like I do) and yesterday I was able to just log back in and sit in a connected way without much fuss.

    By this morning's sit, I had halfway figured out how it all worked again & saw that I had been sitting concurrently with a couple of leafers.

    Setting up to use a camera and getting into a hangout is a bit more overhead.

    Syd
    SatToday

    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Diligently attain nothing. Sort of. Best not to over-think it.
    http://gplus.to/sydneytinker

  41. #41
    Longtime Insight Timer user here. It is a great app. However, I recently switched to another app. It is a simple timer. Nothing more nothing less. Just bringing this up to let people know I am still meditating, but not on Insight.


    Sat2day

  42. #42
    Well, I did try Insight Timer, but I've decided to go back to my old simple timer app.

    A few people mentioned that Insight Timer promotes "accountability". But what does that really mean? Worrying about what other people think about my practice and whether I sat today or not is something that I seek to let go of. I do not meditate because someone else told me to! Sometimes it is just an expression of the true nature and other times my "sensible head" says it would do me good.

    I think the point about others getting encouragement from your sit is good, though there are other ways to do this - posting here and saying Sat today, joining 2 way live sits, or sitting face to face with a local group; all these things I do.

    Gassho,
    Nick

    Sat today & LAH

  43. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
    ...
    Setting up to use a camera and getting into a hangout is a bit more overhead.

    Syd
    SatToday

    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Oh believe me Syd, when I tell you that if I can do it... ANYONE can do it. For real. I am the least technological person on the planet. I don't even have a smartphone. Jump in whenever you're ready, you'll find lots of support here.

    About timers: I love the Insight Timer and use it for my main daily sit, but I use others too. This one's nice and simple, just a timer:

    http://www.onlinemeditationtimer.com/

    Agree with you Nick, there are lots of ways to get ourselves to the cushion and lots of ways to support others. First and foremost is just getting the rump onto the cushion. Whatever works today to support that is the best way.

    Gassho
    Byōkan
    sat + lah
    Please take my words with a big grain of salt. I know nothing. Wisdom is only found in our whole-hearted practice together.

  44. #44
    Treeleaf Unsui Shugen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati Ohio Area (Northern Kentucky)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
    I'll say this much for the Insight Timer. I dropped off the face of the earth for a while (like I do) and yesterday I was able to just log back in and sit in a connected way without much fuss.

    By this morning's sit, I had halfway figured out how it all worked again & saw that I had been sitting concurrently with a couple of leafers.

    Setting up to use a camera and getting into a hangout is a bit more overhead.

    Syd
    SatToday

    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Nice to see you again Syd!

    Gassho,

    Shugen

    Sattoday/LAH


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    As a priest in training, please take everything I say with a pinch of salt

    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

  45. #45
    Hey Syd. How are the bochi balls rolling?

    Gassho, J

    SatTodayLAH
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

  46. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Hey Syd. How are the bochi balls rolling?

    Gassho, J

    SatTodayLAH
    I haven't had a chance to play lately, but I have been working on my really bad Korean. It's really bad.

    SatToday

    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sydney; 11-22-2017 at 12:18 PM.
    Diligently attain nothing. Sort of. Best not to over-think it.
    http://gplus.to/sydneytinker

  47. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Shugen View Post
    Nice to see you again Syd!

    Gassho,

    Shugen

    Sattoday/LAH


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    It's good to be seen by you. Let's sit and/or chat soon.

    SatToday

    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sydney; 11-22-2017 at 12:18 PM.
    Diligently attain nothing. Sort of. Best not to over-think it.
    http://gplus.to/sydneytinker

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •