Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our 2013 Treeleaf Jukai (Undertaking the Precepts) Celebration is Here!

Our 2013 Treeleaf Jukai (Undertaking the Precepts) Celebration is Here!

The time has again arrived for our annual JUKAI CEREMONY at Treeleaf Sangha ... to commence today, Sunday, January 13th at Midnight (Sunday-Monday) Japan time (that is New York 10am, Los Angeles 7am (Sunday morning), London 3pm and Paris 4pm (Sunday afternoon)). The ceremony will last about 1 hour, and will be visible from that time at the screen below:

Our 18 Preceptees come together simultaneously from 5 countries (from Belgium to Mexico) joining in this Jukai as one, after having spent several months preparing for this day, studying the Precepts, sewing a rakusu, weighing the place of the Buddhist Teachings in their life. As with everything at Treeleaf, all was accomplished fully online, and invite all our Sangha to the celebration. Taigu Turlur and Jundo Cohen are Preceptors.

Jukai literally means to receive or to undertake the Precepts. It is the ceremony both of one’s formally committing to the Buddhist Sangha and to the Practice of Zen Buddhism, and of one’s undertaking the “Sixteen Mahayana Bodhisattva Precepts” as guides for life. Traditionally for Jukai, one receives from a teacher the Rakusu, which represents the robe of the Buddha, the Kechimyaku, a written lineage chart connecting the recipient to the Buddhas and Ancestors of the past, and a “Dharma name” selected by the teacher and representing qualities of the recipient’s personality and practice.

My teacher, Nishijima Roshi, has written this:

When a Buddhist seeks to commence upon the study of Buddhism, there is first a ceremony which should be undertaken: It is called “Jukai,” the “Receipt of the Precepts,” the ceremony in which one receives and undertakes the Precepts as a disciple of the Buddha… Master Dogen specifically left us a chapter entitled ‘”Jukai,” in which it is strongly emphasized that, when the Buddhist believer first sets out to commence Buddhist practice… be it monk, be it lay person, no matter… the initial needed steps include the holding of the ceremony of Jukai and the undertaking of the Precepts… The rationale of all of the Buddhist Precepts, the Mahayana Boddhisattva Precepts ... is as a pointing toward the best ways for us to live in this life, in this real world… how to live benefiting both ourselves and others as best we can.

WELCOME!

PS - Dear All,

I repaired some of the "technical non-issues" we had in the above record. If you had any problems hearing or viewing any portion of the live ceremony, you may watch again.

I will say this on behalf of our way of Jukai across oceans ... having participated in any number of Jukai ceremonies in Japan, where the content is recited in arcane, ancient Japanese and Chinese (barely understandable to modern Japanese) filled with Buddhist terminology and symbolism which the Jukai ceremony participants barely understand (if at all, and except in their hearts), where people cannot observe what is happening across the room (the largest Jukai I joined at a big temple had over 100 participants) and where folks are just plain nervous (think of your own wedding ceremony, if married folks) ... I promise that you all understand and have witnessed more of our ceremony as it was happening than most Japanese or Chinese might (even the priests sometimes!) .

On behalf of Taigu and me, it was an honor to experience this moment with you.

Gassho, Jundo
    Last edited by Jundo; 01-14-2013 at 07:46 AM.
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Awesome!! Looking forward to it! Good luck everyone

Gassho,
    Hoyu
    Ho (Dharma)
    Yu (Hot Water)

Watching with a big smile this fine morning!

Best wishes!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Metta to all participating and watching! What a wonderful day!

Gassho,
    Dani

Here as well! Thank you for your commitment to the Dharma.

Gassho,

Dokan
    We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.
    ~Anaïs Nin

Watching in the wings; best wishes to all of you
    合掌,生開
    gassho, Shokai

仁道 生開 / Jindo Shokai

"Open to life in a benevolent way"

https://sarushinzendo.wordpress.com/

Online and waiting for the ceremony to start.

Congratulations to all our fellow Treeleafers undertaking Jukai.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Hello dear Jukai-ees,

good luck to everyone, I'll start the youtube netcast in a second!

Thank you for your practise and commitment.

All the best and gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen

Watching here. Good luck to you all.
    Myozan

PS: I had to refresh my screen (F5) before I could see it here. Gassho.
    Last edited by Myozan Kodo; 01-13-2013 at 03:05 PM.

Yugen
    Joining everyone in the wings watching... A wonderful day. Happy for all those taking the precepts!

Deep bows
    Yugen

Congrats to everyone taking the Jukai and good luck!
    Gassho,
    Andy

Congratulations to you all participating in Jukai!!! Will be watching and sharing in your day!!!

Gassho
    Kia

Woohoo! Welcome new Dharma brothers & sisters!

Congratulations.

Gassho,

Dokan
    We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.
    ~Anaïs Nin

A joyous day indeed! Congratulations to you all! A beautiful ceremony.
    Gassho,
    Myozan

Thank you for the beautiful, beautiful ceremony.

Metta,
    Gassho,
    Dani/Seizan

Congratulations guys!!

Gassho,

Daido

Hello from Germany,

yeehah folks, well done!

Gassho,

Hans Chudo Mongen

Congratulations brothers and sisters! A beautiful ceremony and a wonderful time for the sangha.

Deep bows to all recipients of the precepts.

Gassho,
    Dosho

P.S. Now go celebrate! But don't break (too many) precepts in doing so!

Congratulations to all Jukai-ees!

What a beautiful ceremony.

Thank you all for your practice.

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Beautiful ceremony! It was great to participate. Thank you Jundo and Taigu
    Congratulations to all Jukai-ees!

Gassho,
    Hoyu
    Ho (Dharma)
    Yu (Hot Water)

Congratulations to all. I had a wonderful time studying with you all and look forward to more of it. I am honored to be a part of this Sangha. Thanks everyone, thank you Jundo and Taigu.

Gassho,
    Alan

Thank you Treeleaf, it was a great experience...now, just going out to life and to keep the precepts

Deep Gassho
    Thank you for your practice

Thank you, everyone. Thank you for your patience too. A couple of things I learned about Google+ tonight will help next year. I realized that I should have placed a second independent camera so both groups could have a good view of the Altar and ceremony. I apologize for that.

But the Ceremony was Perfectly-Imperfect, as all things around here ... in life. However, the Precepts were Perfectly Received!

Everyone, go in Peace!

Gassho, Jundo (and on behalf of Taigu)
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Yugen
    Congratulations!!!!

Deep bows
    Yugen

Congratulations to all recieving the precepts and to all of us renewing them, moment by moment.
    Thank you Jundo for a wonderfulceremony.
    Gasho, Gassho, Gassho.
    Heisoku 平 息
    Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. (Basho)

Thank you all, it was wonderful to participate in this years Jukai. A great experience. And, like Jundo, I learned a few things as well, such as making sure all of your equipment is operational in advance. Stupid webcam.

Gassho.
    Neika / Ian Adams

寧 Nei - Peaceful/Courteous
    火 Ka - Fire

Look for Buddha outside your own mind, and Buddha becomes the devil. --Dogen

Ian,

Sounds like your webcam is a great teacher!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Mp
    Thank you Jundo, Taigu, and all my brothers and sisters ... deep bows and many thanks.

Shingen

Shin = True, Genuine
    Gen = Eye
    Last edited by Mp; 01-13-2013 at 06:00 PM. Reason: dharma name update

Yes, and I just figured out the problem. Will teach me to install updates and forget to restart the computer.
    Neika / Ian Adams

寧 Nei - Peaceful/Courteous
    火 Ka - Fire

Look for Buddha outside your own mind, and Buddha becomes the devil. --Dogen

Nindo
    Thank you - Danke - to all who witnessed, to my sisters and brothers who took the precepts with me and their folks who were there (including my husband and my Unitarian lay chaplain!), and most of all to Jundo and Taigu for offering this wonderful opportunity!

Have a great day, all!

Oh, and I am still-again-completely new Nindo

Nin = patience, perseverance
    Do = the way
    Last edited by Nindo; 01-13-2013 at 05:23 PM.

Nindo
    If you don't mind, please post the translations with your new names!

Deep bows to all of my fellow Jukai-ers. Deep bows to Jundo and Taigu for all they do. Deep bows to my Sangha!

What a wonderful way to begin the day.

Gassho.
    Chris

Deep bows to all who participated - going to watch the ceremony now.

Gassho

Willow

Deep bows for my Sangha family.

Daizan.... "Great Mountain". A reference to my weight gain over the recent holidays..

Edit. .. being funny aside ... I know the calligraphy and lineage paper are not about artistic beauty, but they are deeply beautiful and treasured that way too. Bows.
    Last edited by RichardH; 01-13-2013 at 06:28 PM.

w00t!!! Thank you everyone.

Gassho

Washu
    和 Harmony
    秀 Excellence
    --Washu
    和 Harmony
    秀 Excellence

"Trying to be happy by accumulating possessions is like trying to satisfy hunger by taping sandwiches all over your body" George Carlin Roshi

Congratulations everyone!

Deep Bows to You All

Shugen
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

That was a wonderful ceremony - thank you all!
    Hope to be able to fully partake next Jukai.

Gassho

Willow

Congratulations 2013 jukai-ees!

Technical difficulties, schmeclical difficulties! All these people got together from 5 different countries (and who knows how many others in different countries will watch it). Let it sink in for a minute. Pretty amazing!

Gassho

Jen

Congratulations all!
    Amazing to witness this as Nenka points out!

Deep bows
    Shohei

Hi.

May the force be with you everyone.

Mtfbwy
    Fugen
    Life is our temple and its all good practice
    Blog: http://fugenblog.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Fugen View Post
    Hi.

May the force be with you everyone.

Mtfbwy
    Fugen
    Haha Fugen, made a nerd like me laugh out loud!

Nindo: Seizan, meaning "Spring Mountain."

Gassho

Awesome Jukai ceremony this morning. Deep bows to all. Yes Nenka, pretty amazing indeed!
    Jokudo...
    Joku- silent/serene
    do- way/path
    Gassho, Shawn Jakudo Hinton
    It all begins when we say, “I”. Everything that follows is illusion.
    "Even to speak the word Buddha is dragging in the mud soaking wet; Even to say the word Zen is a total embarrassment."
    寂道

A truly wonderful community!
    Congratulations to all!

Gassho
    Mike

Congratulations, everyone!

After Jukai 2012, my practice became much more clear. I don't know if it was sewing the rakusu or simply knowing a bit more of the Dhamma through the process, but after Jukai I felt like instead of trying to do practice, I was practicing at last. I don't know if many of you feel the same, but if you do, this is an exciting time and we are all there with you.

Bows
    求道芸化 Kyūdō Geika
    I am just a priest-in-training, please do not take anything I say as a teaching.

Congratulations to all!!!
    Gassho, Kaishin / Matt
    Thanks,
    Kaishin (開心, Open Heart)
    Please take this layman's words with a grain of salt.

Myoshin
    Hi all

Here is my Dharma name

妙 myo "marvellous"
    心 shin "heart"

Ps Someone can tell me how to put the writing below with my name (under the line) everytime I post?

gassho

Myoshin

Myoshin
    I think I got it, let's try :-)

Wonderful ceremony everyone. Amazing to watch. Congratulations once again!

Gassho

Congrats to all of you!
    no thing needs to be added

Reading the meanings of members' Dharma name signifies a lot more than when I first joined Treeleaf this time last year.
    Is there any place where members are listed with their Dharma name and its meaning?

Gassho

Willow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast