Thread: Monday Zazen - Need Input!

Monday Zazen - Need Input!

Hi all,

I'll be having a weekly sitting on Mondays, but I'm trying to figure out a time. Any input on that would be most appreciated so I can see how much I can accomodate people's schedules.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Yugen
    Dosho,
    My suggestion would be either evening Eastern US time (8 PM or so), or early afternoon same time zone (1 or 2 PM).

Deep bows
    Yugen

Yugen,

Thanks for the suggestions!

Unfortunately 8pm won't work because that's the daily two hour window of time I get with my wife and no kids!

1 or 2pm may work down the road, but currently that's when I have a 3.5 year old running around like a banshee. In time that may work though, when he's less banshee-esque.

Keep 'em coming folks!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Yugen
    Dosho,
    No worries - let's see what time slots work... I'll do my best to join you!

Gassho
    Yugen

Mp
    Hey there Dosho ... I am on the other side off this big rock (PST), mornings and evenings are good for me ... anytime really.

Gassho
    Michael

Just recall that, what may be inconvenient for the US might be a good time for Europe. So for example, late morning in New York on a Monday would be inconvenient for most working Americans, but would be Sunday night in Europe, which might be a fine time for folks there (at least I think it works out that way. Check my math).

Gassho, J
    ALL OF LIFE IS OUR TEMPLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo View Post
    Just recall that, what may be inconvenient for the US might be a good time for Europe. So for example, late morning in New York on a Monday would be inconvenient for most working Americans, but would be Sunday night in Europe, which might be a fine time for folks there (at least I think it works out that way. Check my math).
    Thanks Jundo for the reminder. I have times that are best for me, but I really want folks who think they could sit regularly on Mondays to speak up and tell me what works for them.

I think most of continental Europe is a 6 hour difference, so the end of morning here is the end of the afternoon there.

So, please let me know folks and I'll do the best I can to balance everything.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Hi Dosho - any time early afternoon through to 8pm Uk time might be good for me. I would just be joining in for a 15min slot - hope that's Ok - and will have to be unselfconscious that I'm not 'physically' sitting in the regular way - could well be semi-reclining Zazen if it's a bad day chronic fatigue wise.

Gassho

Willow

Willow,

Whatever you can manage is fine with me and I'd be glad to have you there!

Anybody else folks?

Gassho,
    Dosho

Last chance all...I'll be making my decision this weekend, so if you want to be part of Monday's daily sit speak up now!

Gassho,
    Dosho

Nindo
    I haven't said anything yet because I cannot promise that I will be a regular.
    If you do it around 10pm, that works in MST.
    If you do it around 8am, that works out to a morning sit before work in MST.

PS Oh, and thanks for offering!

Thanks Nindo...I'll put it in the hopper!

Folks, just tell me when you sit on Mondays...on G+ or not...just trying to help the most people even if you don't feel ready for G+ just yet.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Hi there - still trying to ease google+ into my comfort zone.
    Haven't logged on for a couple of days but can see there are several invites.
    So is the general idea log on and see who's sitting that particular day? Would really appreciate
    UK time zone being included - my sleep pattern is all over the place so sometimes middle of the night here would still be
    Ok for me!

Gassho

Willow

Willow,

Well, lots of people sit on any given day. What I and the other unsui are trying to establish is a weekly sit where we "lead" a short ceremony and zazen (by which I mean I'm the one who says when to sit, when to bow, etc. It doesn't make me the guy aliens would ask you to take them to...that's Jundo!).

We're each picking a different day with the goal of having such a sitting by unsui every day of the week. So, I'm looking for input on when during my day, in this case Monday, would be good for the most people. It'll be my name on the schedule and you can drop in if you are available. But there are also many member sits during any given day which you are free to pop in for at any time.

Does that make sense?

Gassho,
    Dosho

I'm down with sitting at 8PM PST/11PM EST.

9pm EST would work for me.

Gassho

Shugen
    Meido Shugen
    明道 修眼

Yugen
    9 PM EST would work for me as well.

Deep bows
    Yugen

8 pm PST would work for me.
    Gassho,

Daisho

(Jack K.)

Thanks Dosho - I like the idea of an unsui leading a sit each day.

Best wishes to all involved,

Willow

Hello all,

Thank you to those who offered input on zazen times; I very much appreciate it! While I wasn't able to accomate everyone, I did my best.

What I have decided is to have two different sittings, one for approximately an hour at 8:30am local time (US EST) and another for about 30 minutes at 11pm local time. The first will be formal with two rounds of zazen as well as chanting, a dedication, the verse of atonement, and the four vows in the same format as Jundo's Friday/Saturday zazenkai. The second will be informal, with a single round of zazen.

The early sit will hopefully accomodate early risers in the US as well as early afternoon sitters in Europe. The later session will aim to accomdate an evening sit for those in the US and perhaps even some early risers in Europe. I will be posting the exact schedule by Sunday evening and I hope some folks will sit with me.

Deep bows to all those in the sangha to whom I hope to give as much as they have given to me.

Gassho,
    Dosho