Thread: A daily G+ practice sign-up?

A daily G+ practice sign-up?

Hi... I'm posting on the open forum because I think this is about zazen ... and daily
    practice. hope that's ok

The current way that sittings happens on G+ is that different people are sitting at different times daily.. or when
    they get a chance. It is loose and open, which is great. On the other hand there tends to be a lot of
    sitting alone on a hang-out, which others then see has happened, ...and that can be encouraging. However I was
    wondering if there is any interest in also having a more regular daily sit on G+ that we can "sign-up" for. It
    would not be rigid in that way, but would be another option requiring more of a comittment. Perhaps there could
    be two sits daily to accommodate different times zones? The idea is that everything would not be so scattershot.. and
    people will know that it can be relied on, and that others will be there to share practice... It can't be
    convenient for everyone.. and I for one will adapt to an inconvenient time if it suits other people.

So is there any interest in finding a common daily practice time we can rely on?

Thank you. kojip
    Last edited by RichardH; 12-20-2012 at 01:01 AM.

Kojip,

I would like to sit, but have not figured out how to exactly do it. I have gmail, a G+ account, and I think I am part of the G+ group but do not know how to proceed.

I would be interested as well, but I'm not sure my iPhone is compatible with some of the handouts.
    Hogen
    法眼

#SatToday

Kyotai
    Kojip

I am up for that. Choosing two times a day will not solve the issue with so many time zones and those (me) that work shift work. However, having a few times set each day that people can aim for would be nice.

Gassho

Shawn

Kyotai
    John, start adding people you know from treeleaf (like me Shawn leahy) when you see friends in hang outs entitled zazen.. Feel free to join. Or create your own hang out and invite all your friends. If they are online they can join. You will get the hang of it. I believe there are some forum topics that cover this.

Gassho

Shawn

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by John C. View Post
    Kojip,

I would like to sit, but have not figured out how to exactly do it. I have gmail, a G+ account, and I think I am part of the G+ group but do not know how to proceed.
    Nice work John on the Google+ setup, I got your request and I have added you to my Treeleaf circle.

Gassho
    Michael

Haven't worked out the google + but would be interested to know any mutually agreed times.

Gassho

Willow

Thank you Kojip,
    One may also check the calendar at

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/calendar.php

I think its pretty accurate (just Myozan zazen is scheduled wrong and the Dokan morning zazen is about right but I think not with Dokan usually ),
    there is also an evening zazen besides the already noted Monge and Myozan ones which is often 19:30 GMT, but its irregular and not in the calendar yet.

General help on treeleaf hangouts is also at

http://www.myoku.de/gp/gpover_e.html

and to finally come to the very point, yes, I feel it would good to have "certain times"!
    _()_
    Myoku

Quote Originally Posted by ecoist View Post
    Nice work John on the Google+ setup, I got your request and I have added you to my Treeleaf circle.

Gassho
    Michael
    Got you back too John. For new people here, the general membership (that's me too), Treeleaf presents mainly as an internet forum. It is the best Buddhist forum, but in my experience the very nature of the board... all the words, alienates just as much as it connects. The you I know through this board can't hold a candle to silently bowing, sitting, and the sound of a bell. The Treeleaf G+ is a real breakthrough in sharing practice... it is wonderful... wonderful as is, but if there is interest in getting something really dependable going in daily group practice. I would like to find a way. If there isn't then cest la vie, thats ok too.

Gassho, kojip
    Last edited by RichardH; 12-20-2012 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Myoku View Post
    Thank you Kojip,
    One may also check the calendar at

http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/calendar.php

I think its pretty accurate (just Myozan zazen is scheduled wrong and the Dokan morning zazen is about right but I think not with Dokan usually ),
    there is also an evening zazen besides the already noted Monge and Myozan ones which is often 19:30 GMT, but its irregular and not in the calendar yet.

General help on treeleaf hangouts is also at

http://www.myoku.de/gp/gpover_e.html

and to finally come to the very point, yes, I feel it would good to have "certain times"!
    _()_
    Myoku
    Hi Myoko . I know all about the calendar... it is the "certain times"... I'm thinking of, as well as some kind of regular commitment, instead of just a drop in. It is worth trying to get something to gel..IMHO.

Gassho, kojip
    Last edited by RichardH; 12-20-2012 at 01:16 PM.

Kojip,

This is a very important challenge for us to pick up in the months to come, to provide daily sittings led by our priests. I will do my very best to make things move in that direction.
    I am planning to organize extra whole sitting days for people inteterested and my students. One next Spring. Two next Summer.

Gassho

Taigu
    Last edited by Taigu; 12-20-2012 at 03:22 PM.

Thank you, Taigu,

Lately I haven't been able to find anyone on g+ during my sitting periods. I wouldn't call my times tightly scheduled, due to having a full house or people running about, dogs, cats, etc.. but they're near the same times every day. Once in the morning, once in the evening. It would be nice if something was scheduled, maybe I could organize that with the rest of the household.. Until then, I'll keep sitting and if anyone joins, that's great.

Hi all,

Yugen & I are planning to host silent sewing a couple times a week where people could also feel free to sit. We're working on the logisitics, but at the moment we're aiming for one afternoon and one evening per week. Once we decide on times and days of the week, we'll post to the schedule.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Sounds good - will encourage me to get started on sewing.

Willow

Quote Originally Posted by Taigu View Post
    Kojip,

This is a very important challenge for us to pick up in the months to come, to provide daily sittings led by our priests. I will do my very best to make things move in that direction.
    I am planning to organize extra whole sitting days for people inteterested and my students. One next Spring. Two next Summer.
    This is wonderful news!

I'll join the group sittings!

I sit everyday, but I do it really early in the morning. And then there's my noisy computer. I have to put it to sleep to have some silence.

If we launch the group sittings I'll have to make do with the noise.

Thanks, Taigu!

Gassho,

Kyonin
    Hondō Kyōnin
    奔道 協忍

Mp
    Quote Originally Posted by Taigu View Post
    Kojip,

Gassho

Taigu
    Thank you Taigu, I would be very interested.

Gassho
    Michael

Thanks for bringing this subject to the table again, Kojip. I agree that G+ adds a bit of substance to the forum. I think it also helps when talking about Treeleaf with others. Before, when we used a variety of video conferencing software, people seemed confused by the whole thing.

I'm primarily an evening sitter, and am willing to commit to 9pm EST or 9:30EST daily if that would work for anyone. Of course, there are months where I rotate to night shift but that's beside the point. 10pm is a bit late, as I have to wake up early.

Very excited about the full day sitting idea, and looking forward to participating. I hope they'll be available as recorded versions, for those of us who may not be able to make it on a given day. I'll add a few of the folks on here to my regular sitters circle. I've stopped inviting all folks in the Treeleaf circle awhile ago; most don't sit on G+, so I figured I'd stop harassing them with daily hangout requests.

Gassho,
    Shujin

Great idea Kojip,I believe you, Shawn and myself are in the same time zone...maybe that would be a way to organize sitting times? Either way I am interested!
    Gassho, Shawn Jakudo Hinton
    It all begins when we say, “I”. Everything that follows is illusion.
    "Even to speak the word Buddha is dragging in the mud soaking wet; Even to say the word Zen is a total embarrassment."
    寂道

Quote Originally Posted by Shujin View Post
    I'll add a few of the folks on here to my regular sitters circle. I've stopped inviting all folks in the Treeleaf circle awhile ago; most don't sit on G+, so I figured I'd stop harassing them with daily hangout requests.
    If you just make sure when starting the hangout to invite all treeleafers that will not disturb anyone, it just makes it visible in their stream. If we keep the treeleaf circle just for sitting, be it zazenkai or zazen in groups (or alone for that matter), then the stream just shows who is/was sitting.

If you just make sure when starting the hangout to invite all treeleafers that will not disturb anyone, it just makes it visible in their stream. If we keep the treeleaf circle just for sitting, be it zazenkai or zazen in groups (or alone for that matter), then the stream just shows who is/was sitting.
    Sounds like a plan. Standby for massive hangout invites, Treeleaf.

Kyotai
    I do get constant invites if I'm logged in on my mobile device. But it is not an issue for me.

Gassho

Shawn

I don't mind the invitations at all. I often try to join when I can and see them if anything as an incentive to sit more. I really enjoy sitting with Sangha mates.

Gassho.
    Chris

Add me to the list. I'm a shift worker (3 rd shift). Being able to sit with others who also do shift work would be nice.

Gassho.

Charlie

Kyotai
    Whats your google name Charlie?

Count me in.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by christhatischris View Post
    I don't mind the invitations at all. I often try to join when I can and see them if anything as an incentive to sit more. I really enjoy sitting with Sangha mates.

Gassho.
    Chris
    I agree. Though lately I've been having connectivity issues so I've been sitting without the google machine. I think it has something to do with my son reactivating his PS3 to the same router. E v e r eee theeeng isss go ing s l o o o owwww.

Kyotai
    In the mean time i find it helpful when people post sit times on g+ ahead of time. Just a thought.

Gassho

Shawn.L

The more people that sit with G+ then the more likely there will be one or many sitting with you. Usually I'm sitting daily somewhere between 7-8am and 7-8pm US Eastern Time.
    _/_
    Rich
    MUHYO
    無 (MU, Emptiness) and 氷 (HYO, Ice) ... Emptiness Ice ...

https://instagram.com/notmovingmind

Hi all,

One tip: If you use G+ for a sit and no one else shows up, it won't show up in anyone's feed unless you comment on your own post. Otherwise it's like it never happened! I usually switch over to the main feed and post a comment like "Gassho" before I shut the Hangout window. That way, people know when you sat last and when you may be likely to sit again.

Gassho,
    Dosho

Thanks, I was wondering why nothing showed up in my feed.

Dear All,

I have a flexible schedule for the next few weeks and can make early mornings Eastern Time to sit. This is where I am on G+.

Gassho,
    Santosh (India, GMT +0530).

Hi all,

I'm trying to update the membership on the Treeleaf Sangha G+ page. There are a number of outstanding requests, but I am not able to verify if those requests are coming from members. Please note that unless you use your member name here at Treeleaf or have the same avatar over at G+, we have no way of knowing if you are a registered member. So, if you have made a request but have not yet been added, please let me know.

Thank you!

Gassho,
    Dosho

I've been experimenting with using Google plus without much luck. When I click on "start a hangout" nothing happens (and I am signed in). I've read the link that Kojip provided and I've got a Treeleaf circle with members in it. Are there some other links or postings that will help? Thanks everyone.

Gassho,

Daisho

(Jack K.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack4Buddha View Post
    I've been experimenting with using Google plus without much luck. When I click on "start a hangout" nothing happens (and I am signed in). I've read the link that Kojip provided and I've got a Treeleaf circle with members in it. Are there some other links or postings that will help? Thanks everyone.

Hi Jack. I'm not sure what link you are talking about, but it sounds like you should be able to start a hangout. Maybe someone with more tech knowledge has a suggestion?

Looking over the responses.. It will be great to have daily scheduled sittings lead by the ordained sangha. In the mean time I'll just keep a non-new-year's resolution to sit 6:30 -7:10 am EST everyday come rain or shine, alone or with others , on G+.

Gassho, kojip

Quote Originally Posted by Jack4Buddha View Post

This sound like a more basic technical issue, not releated to the treeleaf circle. Have a look at

http://support.google.com/plus/bin/a...answer=1215275

Gassho
    Myoku

Why don't we start by showing our GMT (Greenwich Median Time) In the Eastern US I am at GMT -5 as is Kojip. Lay of the group by time zones.
    This way we can see when to make a sitting that might overlap several members. Porbably not all of us can sit at once but the HANGOUT can be re-used later by others. We could pick a weekend hour where all can come even for 5 minutes.....
    I have followed Jundo by just replaying his sitting.
    I need to get more savy about it as we all should...but as it has already been ready said, we got time for it this year to incorporate sittings accross the clock and the around the world.
    Hey, I am light years ahead of where I was a few months back.

Let's do this.

Gassho,
    Ed
    Last edited by Ed; 01-03-2013 at 01:23 AM.
    "Know that the practice of zazen is the complete path of buddha-dharma and nothing can be compared to it....it is not the practice of one or two buddhas but all the buddha ancestors practice this way."
    Dogen zenji in Bendowa

Dear Kojip,

Quote Originally Posted by Kojip View Post
    In the mean time I'll just keep a non-new-year's resolution to sit 6:30 -7:10 am EST everyday come rain or shine, alone or with others , on G+.

I don't see your hangout notifications, I'm obviously not doing this right. I think I'll need to add you to a Treeleaf circle I've created?

What's your G+ URL?

Gassho,
    Santosh.

Hello guys,
    we're currently in the preparation of creating a Treeleaf "Community" at Google+, which will simplify the process of getting connected to each other, probably all is ready in about a week. We will also have a short guide explaining this. One important change is that the "Community" should _not_ be used for announcing times anymore (as its being done currently be some people, which I fully understand); the point is that the "Community" should be our Zendo, so there is "zazen-hangouts only". To announce your sitting time and share it with others we will recommend either the treeleaf calendar or the google+ calendar, because this way we have it at _one_ place (currently its either here in the forum, at g+ stream, in g calendar or here in the calendar). We just need a few more days to figure whats going to work best ... so please just be patient a few more days
    Gassho
    Myoku

Hi there - I keep coming back to this thread - have set up Google+ but haven't got any further.

Looking forward to the guide and sitting with you all.

Gassho

Willow

Quote Originally Posted by Kojip View Post
    Looking over the responses.. It will be great to have daily scheduled sittings lead by the ordained sangha. In the mean time I'll just keep a non-new-year's resolution to sit 6:30 -7:10 am EST everyday come rain or shine, alone or with others , on G+.

Gassho, kojip
    We are close in times Kojip, but I gotta sit at 5:30AM so as to be at work on time.
    I opened a Hangout, but I wait until a general Treeleaf Hangout opens and we can sit with that.

"Know that the practice of zazen is the complete path of buddha-dharma and nothing can be compared to it....it is not the practice of one or two buddhas but all the buddha ancestors practice this way."
    Dogen zenji in Bendowa

I'm glad I read this thread and your post Myoku. I signed up on G+ and eventually found the Treeleaf page but didn't know what to do after that. Looking forward to sitting in with everyone when I have the chance!

Gassho
    Kia

Quote Originally Posted by santosh View Post
    Dear Kojip,

I don't see your hangout notifications, I'm obviously not doing this right. I think I'll need to add you to a Treeleaf circle I've created?

What's your G+ URL?

Gassho,
    Santosh.
    Hi Santosh. Sorry to be slow on the uptake. I'll check the circle backs, and circle you back. that's probably it.

Gassho kojip.

Hello guys,
    we're currently in the preparation of creating a Treeleaf "Community" at Google+, which will simplify the process of getting connected to each other, probably all is ready in about a week. We will also have a short guide explaining this. One important change is that the "Community" should _not_ be used for announcing times anymore (as its being done currently be some people, which I fully understand); the point is that the "Community" should be our Zendo, so there is "zazen-hangouts only". To announce your sitting time and share it with others we will recommend either the treeleaf calendar or the google+ calendar, because this way we have it at _one_ place (currently its either here in the forum, at g+ stream, in g calendar or here in the calendar). We just need a few more days to figure whats going to work best ... so please just be patient a few more days
    Gassho
    Myoku

The new Zendo Treeleaf circle sounds great. Zendo etiquette?

kojip