o/

I've made an "I've returned post," but now it's time to actually return.

There was a suggestion by Shawn (zen_rook) to ease into my meditation practice 5 minutes a day.

I find this tip agreeable and think I will try to act on it - but here's my problem...

So this whole, you know, core of the practice thing... shikantaza...

I have no idea how to do it. Well, that's only half-true, I suppose. I've made this post because I have no zafu, and I know nothing of the lotus position or why positions are important. In my perusal of the forums, I've found lots of stuff talking about the positions, but I don't really understand them, or why they're necessary, or how my practice will suffer if I join the 6:30am sessions while sitting on my busted computer chair.

Perhaps my search has not been thorough enough - is there someplace on the forums where I can find an explanation of basic meditation techniques? Having basically stepped away for three years, I know nothing of meditation. What is the best place for me to go to get started? For now, I will continue as I have previously on the few occasions I managed to meditate - just sitting, in my own way.

Thanks in advance for any help!