• Our SPECIAL ZAZENKAI with GUSTAV ERICSSON

Please join us for a special Zazenkai with my Dharma Brother, Gustav Ericsson, who is visiting Treeleaf Tsukuba, Japan from Sweden!

Gustav Ericcson is a Dharma successor of our Gudo Wafu Nishijima Roshi (Jundo's Teacher and Taigu's "Grand" Teacher) and, since 2010, also a Lutheran Priest with the Church of Sweden, which is the largest Christian church organization in Sweden and largest Lutheran church in the world. In 2009 he founded Anzenkai, which is an interreligious network of friends based on daily shikantaza zazen. He is also a former prison guard before becoming a Lutheran priest. Obviously, Gustav is very interested in the intersection of Buddhist and Christian Teachings. You can read an interview with Gustav HERE.

Here is something that Gustav wrote on his website for his sitting community in Sweden, Anzenkai.com, and I hope he will speak about when he joins us ...

Anzenkai is not based on any particular religious creed. Some of us are Christians, some are Buddhists, and some belong to other traditions or none at all. We all practice zazen together as friends, enriched by our diversity.

http://www.anzenkai.com/aboutanzenkai.html

Gassho, Jundo
    This article was originally published in forum thread: Our SPECIAL ZAZENKAI with GUSTAV ERICSSON started by Jundo View original post
    Comments 51 Comments
      Kokuu -
      Lovely to have visiting teachers. I enjoyed Koun Franz's contribution immensely and look forward to sitting with this afterwards.

Although it probably makes little difference on this occasion, it is worth noting that Paris and much of Europe is one hour ahead of London, not two.

Gassho
      Andy
      Juki -
      Unfortunately, I have to be in court early Wednesday morning, so I will have to attend the recorded version.

Gassho,
      William
      Koshin -
      I will gladly be there live as Koun's past Zazenkai.... but gladly be there just one way if there are more people interested, I don't want to be too much greedy

Gassho
      Mp -
      I too would love to be a part of this zazenkai if there is space.

Gassho
      Shingen
      Myosha -
      Please consider me 'hang-out'.

Gassho,
      Edward
      Daitetsu -
      Wow, the next visiting teacher so soon!
      The time is not feasible for me to be there "live", so I am looking forward to the recording.

Thanks for making this possible!

Gassho,

Timo
      Kyonin -
      If there's for one more, please count me in!

Gassho,

Kyonin
      Joe -
      I'll get my broom and dust off my Google+ account and hop in if there's space

Gassho,
      Joe
      MyoHo -
      The time of night makes it difficult but I will sure try to join. Looking forward to see Gustav!

Gassho

Dai
      Genshin -
      I don't think I can make this one. I will however sit and listen to the recorded version.

Gassho
      Matt
      Geika -
      7pm Pacific time? This one I can do live. Will I be able to join the hangout with the hangouts app on my phone? Anyone tried that? It would be so much easier than trying to fidget with my webcam! Plus my phone doesn't hum as much as the computer, which would be nice.
      Mp -
      Quote Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
      7pm Pacific time? This one I can do live. Will I be able to join the hangout with the hangouts app on my phone? Anyone tried that? It would be so much easier than trying to fidget with my webcam! Plus my phone doesn't hum as much as the computer, which would be nice.
      Hey Amelia ... I have used my Google+ app on Android tablet with no issues.

Gassho
      Shingen
      Geika -
      Oh good
      Risho -
      If there is room, I will be there... otherwise, I will be watching live. Looking forward to this one too!

Gassho,

Risho
      Jundo -
      Dear All,

DUE TO GUSTAV'S TRAVEL, START TIME HAS BEEN MOVED 30 MINUTES LATER. NEW TIMES BELOW.

I am sorry for the inconvenience, but he is coming early in the morning all the way from the other side of Japan just for our sitting! We are still cutting the time close, but we should make it.

Right now, Zazen and Gustav's Talk will commence from 11:30am Japan time Monday morning, which is New York 10:30pm, Los Angeles 7:30pm (Tuesday night). Unfortunately, because the world is round, that is London 3:30am and Paris 4:30am (early Wednesday morning).

The Zazenkai will be between one hour and 90 minutes in length.

Right now, I have the following people reserved for the Hangout. Please let me know as soon as possible if you no longer can make it ...

Jundo & Gustav
      Yugen
      Koshin
      Shingen
      Droclose
      Kyonin
      Joe (Joe, are you all registered for Treeleaf Hangout?)
      Amelia
      Risho

I think we have room for one more before it is a full house. The above individuals will receive an invite to join the Hangout about 15 minutes before the hangout start. I hope others can join us "one way" on the screen I will post at the top of this thread shortly before the Zazenkai.

Gassho, Jundo
      Joe -
      Oh, thanks for reminding me!
      Just sent the group/circle join request.

Gassho,
      Joe
      Mp -
      Wonderful, thank you Jundo and yes, I am confirming that I will be there.

Gassho
      Shingen
      Risho -
      Tuesday night 10:30 pm (US time) sounds good
      Nengyo -
      I will join in or watch live. Whichever happens first. It sounds very interesting.
      Hans -
      Hello,

I'll have to watch the recorded version but am nevertheless very excited!

Gassho and thank you Jundo for making this happen,

Hans Chudo Mongen