• TREELEAF SANGHA online 2-DAY ANGO-JUKAI-ROHATSU RETREAT -- 2012 --

PLEASE NOTE SOME MICROPHONE SQUEAK DURING THE FIRST FEW HOURS of FIRST DAY. PLEASE JUST SIT WITH IT!

WELCOME ...

... to our TREELEAF 'AT HOME' Two Day 'ALL ONLINE' ROHATSU (Buddha's Enlightenment Day) RETREAT, being held by LIVE NETCAST on Saturday/Sunday December 8 and 9, 2012.

Please 'sit-a-long' with the LIVE NETCAST at the times below ... to be visible at the below links to GOOGLE+ during those hours ...

HOWEVER, you may still join the Retreat and sit-a-long at ANY AND ALL TIME after, by the real time recorded version at the links below (no different from the original!).

The full sitting schedule is below, and you may download our CHANT BOOK HERE(LINK to PDF).

and please review the various RETREAT POINTERS HERE(LINK to PDF).

Recordings of each segment are posted below in time order ... and if we drop from mind all thought of 'now' 'then' 'here' and 'there' ... we will all be sitting together right when and where you are!

This Retreat celebrates the 'official' closure of our ANGO (90 day Special Practice Season) at Treeleaf, is a part of current preparations for our JUKAI (Undertaking the Precepts) Ceremony in January, and marks ROHATSU ... the traditional holiday in Japan celebrating the time of the Buddha's Enlightenment.

Jundo will be guiding the first day of sitting on Saturday, and Taigu on Sunday.

In case of technical problems, please just go along as best you can with the schedule ... we sit with "what is".. .

OF COURSE, EVERYTHING IN MODERATION ... if the sitting ever feels too much, be sure to walk lots and lots of Kinhin (even if during a sitting period). And if the whole retreat becomes too much, or you feel ill, you may slow down ... , spread things out, shorten the sittings ... or STOP! Be sure that you have someone close by whom you can call, or who can check on you from time to time. If there is any question about health, do not take any chances!

Please write and let us know how it goes. Gassho, Jundo & Taigu

DAY 1 UNIT 1
    (Live Netcast: Start = FRIDAY NY 4pm London 9pm / End = FRIDAY NY 7:05pm, London 12:05am)
    (ALL TIMES APPROXIMATE)

DAY 1
    06:00-06:50 AM Entrance by Officiant (Jundo) & Zazen. If you usually wear a Rakusu, DO NOT wear it yet (keep it in its bag) until Takkesage (Kesa Verse) later in morning.
    06:50-07:00 Kinhin* (All Kinhin times can be bathroom break)
    07:00-07:35 Zazen
    07:35-07:45 Kinhin

07:45-08:25 Zazen + Kesa Verse
    08:25-09:05 "Long" Service.Please follow along in the Sutra Books that will be provided. Floor prostrations when hear ching-ching-ching-ching- ching roll of bell.
    09:05-09:20 REST PERIOD

RECORDING OF ABOVE IS HERE:
    Unit 1-1
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uMzfk8owCo

DAY 1 UNIT 2
    (Live Netcast: Start=FRIDAY NY 7:20pm London SATURDAY 12:20am /End=SUNDAY NY 7:50pm, SATURDAY London 12:50am)

09:20-09:50 Oryoki Bring you bowls and small table before start.
    09:50-10:30 Samu/Rest Period Mindfully wash and repack Oryoki bowls.

RECORDING OF ABOVE IS HERE:
    Unit 1-2 Oryoki
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_03RfX5Df8

DAY 1 UNIT 3
    (Live Netcast: Start=FRIDAY NY 8:30pm London SATURDAY 1:30am /End=FRIDAY NY 10:45pm, SATURDAY London 3:45am)

10:30-11:10 Zazen
    11:10-11:20 Kinhin
    11:20-12:00 Zazen &Dharma Talk Chant Gatha on Opening & Closing Sutra

12:00-12:10 Kinhin
    12:10-12:45 Zazen
    12:45-13:10 REST PERIOD

RECORDING OF THE ABOVE IS HERE:
    Unit 1-3
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w9GsXZ3w

DAY 1 UNIT 4
    (Live Netcast: Start=FRIDAY NY 11:10pm London SATURDAY 4:10am /End=FRIDAY NY 11:40pm, SATURDAY London 4:40am)

13:10-13:40 Oryoki Bring you bowls and small table before start.
    13:40-14:30 Samu/Rest Period Mindfully wash and repack Oryoki bowls.

RECORDING OF THE ABOVE IS HERE
    Unit 1-4 Oryoki
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciza_UL5N1E

DAY 1 UNIT 5
    (Live Netcast: Start=SATURDAY NY 12:30am London 5:30am /End=SATURDAY NY 1:30am, London 6:30am)

14:30-15:00 Samu Work Practice Indoor if night time, Outdoor if daytime and possible
    15:00-16:00 REST PERIOD

1-5 Samu
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXWT6F9pzfM

DAY 1 UNIT 6
    (Live Netcast: Start=SATURDAY NY 2:00am London 7:00am /End=SATURDAY NY 4:25am, London 9:25am)

16:00-16:40 Zazen
    16:40-16:50 Kinhin
    16:50-17:40 Zazen & Dharma Talk Chant Gatha on Opening & Closing Sutra

17:40-17:50 Kinhin
    17:50-18:25 Zazen
    18:25-19:00 REST PERIOD

Unit 1-6
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiAUEK0ASYs

DAY 1 UNIT 7
    (Live Netcast: Start=SATURDAY NY 5:00am London 10:00am /End=SATURDAY NY 5:30am, London 10:30am)

19:00-19:30 Samu Work Practice Indoor if night time, Outdoor if daytime and possible
    19:30-20:00 REST PERIOD

Unit 1-7 Samu
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHo_cASEJSQ

DAY 1 UNIT 8
    (Live Netcast: Start=SATURDAY NY 6:00am London 11:00am /End=SATURDAY NY 8:30am, London 1:30pm)

20:00-20:50 "Short" Service & Zazen Please follow along in the Sutra Books that will be provided. Floor prostrations when here ching-ching-ching-ching- ching roll of bell.
    20:50-21:00 Kinhin

21:00-21:40 Zazen &Dharma Talk Chant Gatha on Opening & Closing Sutra
    21:40-21:50 Kinhin
    21:50-22:30 Metta Chant & Zazen Close with Verse of Atonement & Four Vows

Unit-1-8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3g5jdh3nWs

DAY 1 UNIT 9
    ( No Live Netcast from SATURDAY NY 8:30am London 1:30pm to NY 4:00pm, London 9:00pm)
    PLEASE CATCH UP WITH MISSED OVERNIGHT UNITS!

(Optional: Waza = Tradition of 'All Night Zazen' ... but we recommend you sleep instead.
    See you in the morning)

22:30 PM-
    (Day 2)
    05:30 AM
    BATH & SLEEP

NO RECORDING OF ABOVE

DAY 2 UNIT 1
    (Live Netcast: Start = SATURDAY NY 4pm London 9pm / End = SATURDAY NY 6:55pm, London 11:55pm)
    (ALL TIMES APPROXIMATE)

06:00-06:40 AM Zazen Begin sitting without instruction. If you usually wear a Rakusu, DO NOT wear it yet (keep it in its bag) until Takkesage (Kesa Verse) later in morning.
    06:40-07:00 Long (20 minute) Kinhin*
    07:00-07:35 Zazen
    07:35-07:45 Kinhin

07:45-08:25 Zazen + Kesa Verse When instructed, place on Kesa and recite Kesa Verse. All others, hands in Gassho.
    08:25-08:55 "Long" Service Please follow along in the Sutra Books that will be provided. Floor prostrations when hear ching-ching-ching-ching- ching roll of bell.
    08:55-09:20 REST PERIOD

Unit 2-1
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRWd5SrzpLE

DAY 2 UNIT 2
    (Live Netcast:Start=SATURDAY NY 7:20pm London SUNDAY 12:20am/End=SATURDAY NY 7:50pm, SUNDAY London 12:50am)

09:20-09:50 Oryoki Bring you bowls and small table before start.
    09:50-10:30 Samu/Rest Period Mindfully wash and repack Oryoki bowls.

Unit 2-2 Oryoki
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PauWIu2l_RM

DAY 2 UNIT 3
    (Live Netcast: Start=SATURDAY NY 8:30pm London SUNDAY 1:30am/End=SATURDAY NY 10:45pm, SUNDAY London 3:45am)

10:30-11:10 Zazen
    11:10-11:20 Kinhin
    11:20-12:00 Zazen & Dharma Talk Chant Gatha on Opening & Closing Sutra

12:00-12:10 Kinhin
    12:10-12:45 Zazen
    12:45-13:10 REST PERIOD

Unit 2-3
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA-nwPFrIMw

DAY 2 UNIT 4
    (Live Netcast:Start=SATURDAY NY 11:10pm London SUNDAY 4:10am/End=SATURDAY NY 11:40pm, SUNDAY London 4:40am)

13:10-13:40 Oryoki Bring you bowls and small table before start.
    13:40-14:30 Samu/Rest Period Mindfully wash and repack Oryoki bowls.

Unit 2-4 Oryoki
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxUvTHzMx2w

DAY 2 UNIT 5
    (Live Netcast: Start=SUNDAY NY 12:30am London 5:30am /End=SUNDAY NY 1:30am, London 6:30am)

14:30-15:30 Samu Work Practice Indoor if night time, Outdoor if daytime and possible
    15:30-16:00 REST PERIOD

Unit 2-5 Samu
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4hjMOJsIm0

DAY 2 UNIT 6
    (Live Netcast: Start=SUNDAY NY 2:00am London 7:00am /End=SUNDAY NY 4:00 am, London 9:00am)

16:00-16:40 Zazen
    16:40-16:50 Kinhin
    16:50-17:20 Zazen & Dharma Talk Chant Gatha on Opening & Closing Sutra

17:20-17:30 Kinhin
    17:30-18:00 Zazen
    18:00-19:00 REST PERIOD

Unit 2-6
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFHqxqqbHVw

DAY 2 UNIT 7
    (Live Netcast: Start=SUNDAY NY 5:00am London 10:00am /End=SUNDAY NY 7:30am, London 12:30pm)

19:00-19:50 "Short" Service & Zazen Please follow along in the Sutra Books that will be provided. Floor prostrations when here ching-ching-ching-ching- ching roll of bell.
    19:50-20:00 Kinhin
    20:00-20:40 Zazen & Dharma Talk Chant Gatha on Opening & Closing Sutra
    20:40-20:50 Kinhin
    20:50-21:20 Fukanzazengi & Zazen
    21:20-21:30 Verse of Atonement & Four Vows ... Closing Words ...

Unit 2-7
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItHPeW8xzlI

Nine Bows to All Who Sat This Retreat Together ...

This article was originally published in forum thread: TREELEAF SANGHA online 2-DAY ANGO-JUKAI-ROHATSU RETREAT -- 2012 -- started by Jundo View original post
    Comments 61 Comments
      Heishu -
      Sitting live and recorded now and through the weekend.

Gassho
      Alan
      Jundo -
      Sound was a little rough the first few hours, but I was able to fix the microphone by the first Dharma Talk. Please be patient.

Gassho, J
      Myozan Kodo -
      Hi,
      I foolishly planned to sit tonight and tomorrow night! But now I realise my Saturday night is your Sunday morning! Doh!

So, I'll sit the start of day two.

Gassho, in embarrassment,
      Myozan
      RichardH -
      Crashed at 5 am, and am catching-up now recorded. I'll join in live again day two. 4pm EST.

Gassho.. and thank you so much for providing this practice opportunity! Kojip.
      Mp -
      Quote Originally Posted by Kojip View Post
      Crashed at 5 am, and am catching-up now recorded. I'll join in live again day two. 4pm EST.

Gassho.. and thank you so much for providing this practice opportunity! Kojip.
      You lasted past me. I too am catching up on the recordings and will be at at around 5pm EST, as I have to pick up my brother at the airport. See you all then.

Gassho
      Michael
      Dosho -
      Hey guys,

I crashed too...me that is! I almost fell over during a zazen session and then dozed off during samu. After that, Jundo kindly suggested that I sleep and I agreed.

See you later...alligators.

Ok, bad jokes mean take nap.

Gassho,
      Dosho
      Mp -
      Hey everyone,

Just had to step away something has come up, but I will be back. Enjoy your sit.

Gassho
      Michael
      Yugen -
      It's really inspiring to see you all! Second shift coming on Sunday US time.... Oaken and I sat Rohatsu Zazenkai together today; it was nice to be sitting together in person. See you on G+!

Gassho
      Yugen
      RichardH -
      3:20 a.m. Confused on the cushion. Going to sleep. Will pick-up where left off tomorrow. gassho, kojip.
      Mp -
      Up since 5am ... 12:30 now and fighting sleep, so off to bed. Finish last few sittings in the am.

Gassho
      Michael
      Dosho -
      Off to bed...thank you all.

Gassho,
      Dosho
      Koshin -
      I knew that people resist more in places where it snows, you seem to me like marathon runners , I went to bed earlier with my back killing me, now going to finish the the recorded units

Thank you for your practice, it is inspiring

Gassho
      Heisoku -
      Thank you Jundo for the Saturday sessions and Taigu for Sunday session 1. Apologies for not making the rest of Sunday as I have contracted norovirus, despite my school being closed Friday for a deep clean! I thought something was brewing, but just thought it was back pain!! Good job I'm not a doctor.

Thanks to all sitting this Rohatsu. Saturday afternoon I had a glimpse of what a bright mind may be ..and it has made me determined to try a retreat again. Gassho to all.
      Jundo -
      And So The Buddha Saw The Morning Star ...

If anyone who sat this Retreat, or as much as they were able, has any comments, criticisms, advice, tips on how to make it a better experience for next time, please let us know by posting here or writing me. Any guidance will be helpful in making a good Retreat experience next year.

A Further Nine Bows to All. Much Gratitude to Taigu.

Jundo
      Yugen -
      Thank you all - what a marvelous Rohatsu - I will finish the Day Two sittings over the next two days -

Deep bows
      Yugen
      Mp -
      Good morning everyone, wow ... a BIG thank you to Jundo and Taigu for this wonderful practice! Thank you to all who sat along side me, it was a beautiful journey. I finished the bit of Zazen, Kinhin, Short Service, and chants this morning (even though my eyes wanted not too).

Jundo ... as for any suggestions, I do not have any as I think it was wonderful and went very well. I know there was some sound issues, but that didn't really get in the way. Taigu did have some Google + video issues and I know Shohei and I tried to help sort that out, but no luck. But even with Taigu's cold and video issues, it was still perfect and beautiful!

Deep Bows
      Michael
      Dosho -
      Hi all,

I just finished that which can truly never be finished...thank you to Jundo & Taigu...thank you to those who have sat, are sitting, or will sit.

After these retreats, I often feel that I can take on the world! But for today I shall take care of myself and my family. Nothing special, but also the most special of all.

Nine bows to all and nine more...I am most grateful to everyone who has helped to make Treeleaf what it is.

Gassho,
      Dohso
      Dosho -
      As for comments, I dare say I learned more for what was not planned than what was planned. Well, not quite...but I trust you understand my meaning.

It was perfectly imperfect, which is a phrase tossed around lightly at times, but it is the truth.

Gassho,
      Dosho
      RichardH -
      Quote Originally Posted by Dosho View Post
      Nine bows to all and nine more...I am most grateful to everyone who has helped to make Treeleaf what it is.
      x2

This retreat has been intimate and to the core. I am at home in Treeleaf Sangha. As far as practical issues go....... this space works, and the challenges are technical and creative. It is really showing the way.

Gassho, kojip
      RichardH -
      Just want to say..... that Taigu's description of practice as.... a cow chewing grass, until the grass loses its flavour, and becomes the cow... and the cow becomes the grass. For some reason that really hit home. Gassho and thank you again Jundo and Taigu.