• December 1st, 2012 Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai

reMINDer: OUR "AT HOME" 2-DAY ROHATSU RETREAT is the weekend of December 8th & 9th, via live netcast. This week's Zazenkai is 90 minutes.

Hello All,

Please 'sit-a-long' with our weekly FRIDAY/SATURDAY 'LIVE FROM TREELEAF' 90 minute ZAZENKAI, netcast LIVE from 9am Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 7pm, Los Angeles 4pm (Friday night), London midnight and Paris 1am (early Saturday morning)

... and to be visible at the following link during those times and any time thereafter ...

LIVE ZAZENKAI NETCAST at GOOGLE+ IS HERE:
    CLICK ON THE TAB ON LOWER RIGHT FOR 'FULL SCREEN

http://youtu.be/4RFVwEs9qyQ

FOR THOSE NOT ALREADY MEMBERS OF THE CIRCLE WHO WISH TO JOIN TO SIT LIVE WITH A CAMERA, INSTRUCTIONS ARE POSTED AT THIS LINK. WE ARE NOW LIMITED TO 10 INDIVIDUALS WITH CAMERAS, BUT ANY NUMBER CAN WATCH LIVE 'ONE WAY' AND SIT-A-LONG VIA THE ABOVE SCREEN. IF JOINING WITH CAMERA, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR MICROPHONE IS MUTED:

00:00 – 00:15 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA in English ONLY) and Dedication
    00:15 – 00:45 ZAZEN
    00:45 – 00:55 KINHIN
    00:55 – 01:25 ZAZEN
    01:25 – 01:30 FOUR VOWS & VERSE OF ATONEMENT

As you can see, our Zazenkai consists of chanting the 'Heart Sutra' in English (the words are at the link below), some full floor prostrations in sets of three (please follow along with me ... or a simple Gassho can be substituted if you wish), followed by our Dedication, Zazen twice for about 30 minutes each, with 10 minutes of Kinhin in between, and we end the sitting with 'The Verse of Atonement' and 'The Four Vows'.

Please download and print out the Chants we will recite at the following link (PDF):

Chant Book (PDF)

or

Chant Book (SHORT VERSION HTML)

So, please join us as soon as you can, and we will keep a Zafu open for you.

Remember, when we drop all thought of 'here' 'there' 'now' 'then' ... we are sitting all together!

Gassho, Jundo
    This article was originally published in forum thread: December 1st, 2012 Treeleaf Weekly Zazenkai started by Jundo View original post
    Comments 32 Comments
      Kyonin -
      I'll have to sit early Saturday morning

I'll see you guys then.

Gassho,

Kyonin
      RichardH -
      Will be here/there.

Gassho. kojip.
      Koshin -
      Will be there

Gassho
      Nengyo -
      I will be there (either live or very soon afterwards)
      Mp -
      I will be there live as well.

Gassho
      Michael
      Kyotai -
      I will try and be there live.

Gassho..

Shawn
      Thane -
      Hello everyone. i have not made it for a few months due to a busy period in life but i will be in this weekend. Most likely the recording for me but i might make the live sitting.

Gassho

Thane
      Dosho -
      I'll be there.

Gassho,
      Dosho
      Daitetsu -
      Probably as last time: live (w/out webcam) for first sitting and Kinhin - second sitting with recording on the next day...

Gassho,

Timo
      Dosho -
      Quote Originally Posted by LimoLama View Post
      Probably as last time: live (w/out webcam) for first sitting and Kinhin - second sitting with recording on the next day...
      Timo,

Of course we all have to work the sit into our schedules and I would completely understand if you have to cut it into two segments, but I would suggest doing the entire sitting recorded as a 90 minute "event" rather than breaking it up. Of course, that is not meant to disuade you from joining live...I just think it might be a good idea to see what that experience would be like for your practice.

But, of course, just a friendly suggestion. Taking my occasional 20-30 minute sits to 90 minutes (including the kinhin) is what really helped set me off down the path. A life changer to be sure.

Gassho,
      Dosho
      Daitetsu -
      Quote Originally Posted by Dosho View Post
      Timo,

Of course we all have to work the sit into our schedules and I would completely understand if you have to cut it into two segments, but I would suggest doing the entire sitting recorded as a 90 minute "event" rather than breaking it up. Of course, that is not meant to disuade you from joining live...I just think it might be a good idea to see what that experience would be like for your practice.

But, of course, just a friendly suggestion. Taking my occasional 20-30 minute sits to 90 minutes (including the kinhin) is what really helped set me off down the path. A life changer to be sure.
      Hi Dosho,

Thanks a lot for your suggestion!
      Actually, I have done entire recorded sittings, but family life is not always allowing 90 minutes, I'm afraid.
      I agree with you - the whole thing "without interruption" really is somehow "deeper" for me.
      The best in my case would actually be to try the entire live session, as it is 1 am in the morning when it starts and I am the only person still awake in the house at that time. But alas as soon as kinhin is over I am either too tired for another round of zazen or I have to get up early next morning, so it is more reasonable to go to bed...

The upcoming Rohatsu Retreat is a similar problem for me: as far as I understand it would be best to do it on two days as originally scheduled, but I don't know how to manage it. I am going to do as many zazen and kinhin as possible in two days (probably a week later due to charity work for the local kindergarten during that weekend), but won't be able to manage everything.

But thanks again - your words are motivating me!

Gassho,

Timo
      Mp -
      Thank you everyone ... was wonderful. Have a great weekend.

Gassho
      Michael
      RichardH -
      Thank you. kojip
      Yugen -
      Thank you all and deep bows - glad you are feeling better Michael

Yugen
      Mp -
      Quote Originally Posted by Yugen View Post
      Thank you all and deep bows - glad you are feeling better Michael

Yugen
      Thank you my friend, I am feeling much better.

Gassho
      Michael
      Dosho -
      My thanks to all!

Gassho,
      Dosho
      Kyotai -
      Thanks very much.

Gassho

Shawn
      Myoku -
      Thank you everyone,
      due to stalled video it was a 125 minutes zazenkai here :-)
      Gassho
      Myoku
      Heisoku -
      Sat this with Thane on G+. Thank you Jundo and everyone sitting. Gassho.
      Thane -
      Thanks Nigel, great to sit with you on G+ for the Zazenki recording. Peter thanks for joining us also.

Gassho