PDA

View Full Version : 10 things science (and Buddhism) says will make you happy

Kyonin
02-21-2012, 10:56 AM
Hey guys!

Someone on my Twitter found this article in a blog that list some concepts in Buddhism that had been studied by science. While some of them I think are common place now, it's a good post nonetheless.

I love it when science and Buddhism agree! What do you think?

http://www.wildmind.org/blogs/on-practi ... -you-happy (http://http://www.wildmind.org/blogs/on-practice/10-things-science-and-buddhism-says-will-make-you-happy)

Here is a shortened list:

1. Be generous
2. Savor everyday moments
3. Avoid comparisons
4. Put money low on the list
5. Have meaningful goals
6. Take initiative at work
7. Make friends, treasure family
8. Look on the bright side
9. Say thank you like you mean it
10. Get out and exercise

Shokai
02-21-2012, 11:34 AM
Thanks for sharing this Choco! :)

Hoyu
02-21-2012, 12:31 PM
Thanks Kyonin this was a nice article :)

I really dig this bit from #3(Avoid comparisons)

Buddhists are advised to avoid “conceit.” Now in the west we think of conceit as a sense of superiority, but in Buddhism conceit includes thinking you’re inferior to others, AND it includes thinking that you’re equal to others! What’s left? Just not thinking in terms of self and other at all.

Gassho,
Hoyu

Kaishin
02-21-2012, 07:14 PM
What's this "happiness"? I'm trying to find it...but I can't... :wink:

My problem with articles like this is that it sets up "happiness" (whatever the heck that is) as a goal of practice. But I don't think that's quite it. There is always flux, you can't put your finger on it. Maybe equanimity is a better choice of words here. "Happy" is seen as a positive state. But we know where that trap gets us...

Hmm.

Omoi Otoshi
02-21-2012, 08:12 PM
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
-Dalai Lama

Ryumon
02-21-2012, 08:53 PM

My problem with articles like this is that it sets up "happiness" (whatever the heck that is) as a goal of practice. But I don't think that's quite it. There is always flux, you can't put your finger on it. Maybe equanimity is a better choice of words here. "Happy" is seen as a positive state. But we know where that trap gets us...

Hmm.

Yes, my feeling exactly. Owen Flannagan, in his recent book The Boddhisatva's Brain looks at that and points out that Buddhism doesn't claim to offer happiness, but a release from suffering, or, as he says, eudamonia, or flourishing, or "a stable sense of serenity and contentment."

Kaishin
02-21-2012, 09:31 PM

Hmm.

Yes, my feeling exactly. Owen Flannagan, in his recent book The Boddhisatva's Brain looks at that and points out that Buddhism doesn't claim to offer happiness, but a release from suffering, or, as he says, eudamonia, or flourishing, or "a stable sense of serenity and contentment."

Do you recommend that book? I read the preface in the online preview...looks pretty interesting.

Ryumon
02-22-2012, 10:48 AM
It's very interesting, a bit dense, and covers several areas, not just the "eudamion" bit. He's a very good writer, and can make complex things seem a lot less complex. But it is a demanding book that requires a lot of attention and reflection.

So, in short, if that's the kind of reading you do, yes, I recommend it. I bought several of his other books after reading it.

Jinyo
02-22-2012, 11:28 AM
Hi - there's a lot of literature out there and members often mention books/articles they've found interesting/useful.

Is there a central thread on the site where we can leave book reviews/recommendations?

thanks,

Willow

Ryumon
02-22-2012, 01:07 PM
It might be a good idea to create a sub-forum for reviews of books and other objects...

Kaishin
02-22-2012, 03:50 PM
Hi - there's a lot of literature out there and members often mention books/articles they've found interesting/useful.

Is there a central thread on the site where we can leave book reviews/recommendations?

thanks,

Willow

Not that I'm aware of. Usually people just post a new thread. Jundo sometimes posts reviews, maybe in the Recommended Reading thread. But I like your idea, would make these easier to find.

Jundo
02-22-2012, 04:20 PM

thanks,

Willow

Not that I'm aware of. Usually people just post a new thread. Jundo sometimes posts reviews, maybe in the Recommended Reading thread. But I like your idea, would make these easier to find.

Hi,

I am happy to have people post reviews of books and such, but if related to Zen/Zazen/Buddhism, I will ask to keep the content and teachings pretty strictly to what we practice here. Maybe check with me or Taigu before recommending a book.

We are not a forum for "general meditation/Buddhism discussion", but a practice place emphasizing a particular flavor and approach to Practice. So, in our "Karate Dojo" we don't really teach the ways of Judo or tennis because not consistent with the Karate Practice here.

Gassho, Jundo

Rev R
02-22-2012, 05:17 PM
Seems to me the trick is to drop the thought, "I will be happy if X condition is met".

Kaishin
02-22-2012, 07:43 PM
Seems to me the trick is to drop the thought, "I will be happy if X condition is met".

Yes, hard to do though. Damn hard.

Rev R
02-22-2012, 07:54 PM
So is a triple lutz (?) but it can be done. ;)

Omoi Otoshi
02-22-2012, 08:18 PM
I will be happy if I can only drop all thought of needing to drop the thought "I will be happy if X condition is met"! :D

Rev R
02-22-2012, 08:49 PM
"what about dropping the thought of dropping the thought of dropping the thought?" He said while preparing to bypass Absurd and head straight for Surreal.

Rich
02-22-2012, 10:27 PM
How about "Put it all down"

Omoi Otoshi
02-23-2012, 08:08 AM
Yes, put it all down.
Easier said than done however, as Kaishin says.
When clinging to something, you can't put it down can you?
Trying, making an effort, doesn't help at all.
And when we are not clinging, craving, attaching, there is no need to put anything down, is there?
It's already put down, there's no carrying things around.
Shikantaza for me is putting it all down. No need for an agenda, a goal. When we sit without agenda or goal, it's already put down.

Gassho,
/Pontus

Omoi Otoshi
02-23-2012, 08:12 AM
Two traveling monks reached a river where they met a young woman. Wary of the current, she asked if they could carry her across. One of the monks hesitated, but the other quickly picked her up onto his shoulders, transported her across the water, and put her down on the other bank. She thanked him and departed.

As the monks continued on their way, the one was brooding and preoccupied. Unable to hold his silence, he spoke out. "Brother, our spiritual training teaches us to avoid any contact with women, but you picked that one up on your shoulders and carried her!"

"Brother," the second monk replied, "I set her down on the other side, while you are still carrying her."

Omoi Otoshi
02-24-2012, 03:16 PM
I just wrote this at ZFI and thought perhaps it could have some relevance to this discussion too!

Dropping is effortless when holding nothing.
Dropping is effortless when you don't grasp.
In my view, you can't drop anything by great effort.

It's like making a great effort to fall asleep when not tired!
When tired, when conditions/circumstances are right, sleep comes naturally, effortlessly, if only you stop resisting it by thinking too much, trying to fall asleep.

When I was a kid I thought a lot about what I needed to do to fall asleep. Eventually I found it! There was no way, no method. All I needed to do was to stop worrying so much about it, just relax and let go. Let thoughts come and go without actively thinking about anything, without trying to solve the problem of no sleep.

In my view, sometimes Zen students, including me, are very much like insomniacs trying to fall asleep! They read books about sleep, listen to music that is supposed to make you sleepy, take drugs to fall asleep more easily, go to seminars to listen to people who claim to know the secret of sleeping, buy expensive beds and pillows. Maybe they should just take a look at their lives to see if there is something hindering sleep from coming naturally?

Gassho,
Pontus

Hoyu
02-24-2012, 04:00 PM
Pontus wrote:
In my view, sometimes Zen students, including me, are very much like insomniacs trying to fall asleep! They read books about sleep, listen to music that is supposed to make you sleepy, take drugs to fall asleep more easily, go to seminars to listen to people who claim to know the secret of sleeping, buy expensive beds and pillows. Maybe they should just take a look at their lives to see if there is something hindering sleep from coming naturally?
+1 :)
Nice analogy Pontus _/_

Jinyo
02-24-2012, 06:42 PM
Well said Pontus :lol:

Gassho

Willow

Kaishin
02-24-2012, 07:40 PM
Zzzzzzz

Geika
02-24-2012, 08:32 PM
I like that, Pontus.

Omoi Otoshi
02-24-2012, 09:42 PM
Thanks! :)

Zzzzzzz
:lol: ;)

/Pontus

Kaishin
02-27-2012, 05:02 PM
Thanks! :)

Zzzzzzz
:lol: ;)

/Pontus

Heh, just jokin', wasn't trying to be dismissive of your very well stated comments. But you got it ;)

Omoi Otoshi
02-27-2012, 07:02 PM
Don't worry Kaishin!
I think we share the same humor! :D

Gassho,
Pontus

Nindo
02-28-2012, 05:58 PM
Here's an excellent program from CBC:
"Say No to Happiness"
Great discussion about whether Happiness should be a life goal. I thought the ideas put forward went towards "no, that would lead us to miss out on life".

http://www.cbc.ca/ideas/episodes/2012/02/14/say-no-to-happiness-2/

Jinyo
02-28-2012, 09:27 PM
Hi Nindo - that was an interesting programme.

I think what it underlined is that we
needn't be afraid of having a whole range of emotions, and perhaps there's too
big a push towards expecting life to be free of difficulties.

There's a lot of energy 'out there' influencing us into feeling that we should be happy
most of the time. It's not realistic and leads to a kind of denial. So many programmes of
self-help that possibly leave people in a situation of feeling a failure if they can't turn
negative emotions around - or push them into some kind of state of denial.

On the ethics front, we only really learn to understand the hurt in others by accepting
the hurt within ourselves. I'm not saying we shouldn't work on negativity - but
where there's deep hurt/trauma I feel it's more authentic to allow people to work through
anger/grief and then hopefully towards forgiveness and reparation.

I don't see much space for that in our quick fix/let's all get happy culture.

Does buddhism offer a measured, middle way through all of this ?

Gassho

Willow

Nindo
03-02-2012, 05:21 AM
Hi Willow,

thanks for listening. I couldn't have summarized it better.

So many programmes of self-help that possibly leave people in a situation of feeling a failure if they can't turn
negative emotions around

Yes, I've seen this happening, and it just added to the suffering.

our quick fix/let's all get happy culture...

... means that so many people are left out ... and also that we are missing the things in life where it's worth taking some hardship for.

Does buddhism offer a measured, middle way through all of this ?

That's what I believe! :)