PDA

View Full Version : SIT-A-LONG with JUNDO: Xin Xin Ming - (II)

Pages : [1] 2

Jundo
09-08-2011, 04:52 PM
http://images.mylot.com/userImages/images/postphotos/2282906.jpg Last year I spoke about the little girl that my wife and I have been trying to adopt from China for five years to no avail, caught in red tape and creeping bureaucracy. She is just a name to us, a shadow, an empty child's room that has gathered dust. Our little son always asks for his absent sister, year after year. Now, after much pushing through obstacles, wrangling with regulations, negotiating, simple waiting (there are so many families in like position, and we did not want to push ahead of others, so waited our turn like everyone else), procedures and endless forms, this year's earthquake and adventures, adoption and immigration lawyers and legal fees to fix the tangled legal snafu, there is a good chance (too soon to be sure yet) that she will come to us by the end of this year!! :)

If all goes forward (we'll see), 51 year old me is gonna be daddy to a 1 year old! :shock:

Some things in life are WORTH PROTESTING FOR, SHOUTING FOR, FIGHTING FOR ... WITHOUT VIOLENCE OR ANGER, OF COURSE! Be it a wrong to right, a war to stop, an injustice to prevent, a disease to cure ... it is okay to take to the streets (like those monks in Burma did), fight the good fight ... if peacefully.

Yet today's passage from the Xin Xin Ming tells us:

If you wish to see the truth
then hold no opinions for or against anything.
To set up what you like against what you dislike is the disease of the mind.
When the deep meaning of things is not understood
the mind's essential peace is disturbed to no avail.

Having no opinions, no for or against ... yet standing up for what's right? Sounds like a great contradiction! These need not be in the least! Opinions with equanimity, pushing forward with no place to get, protest hand-in-hand with total acceptance! RESISTING FREE OF ALL RESISTANCE! Of course, one has to be careful ... for those cluttered boxes of adoption documents in the scene below could stand for the clutter of the mind that can result in trying times! Always know that white, clean, pristine space that holds all that and shines through all!

Seen with a Buddha's eye ... there is no contradiction at all.

Today’s Sit-A-Long video follows at this link. Remember: recording ends soon after the beginning bells; a sitting time of 15 to 35 minutes is recommended.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJGVlJT767M

Dosho
09-08-2011, 05:46 PM
Jundo,

This is wonderful news that brings a tear to my eye!

And, yes, you have said these things many times before. And clearly I still need to hear them again and again! ;)

Thank you for this teaching and all my best hopes for the adoption process.

Gassho,
Dosho

Dokan
09-08-2011, 06:19 PM
Thank you again Jundo.

Just two days ago I was chanting metta and inverted a couple of the lines. No harm done. But then it reminded me of the zazenkai a few weeks or so ago where you and Mina had received some news about the adoption. I had a heavy heart and then added you two to my metta. I am so happy to hear things are moving forward for you guys and am so thankful for this teaching.

Happy & Hopeful,

Gassho,

Shawn

PS - Posted to podcast (http://treeleaf.podbean.com/). Should show up in iTunes (http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/treeleaf-zendo-podcasts/id417051167) shortly.

Myozan Kodo
09-08-2011, 07:03 PM
Jundo,
Fingers crossed for you and your family.
Gassho
Soen

Engyo
09-08-2011, 09:14 PM
Effortless in mind; vigorous in movement.
...and Jizo in your heart.
Gassho,

Geika
09-08-2011, 09:47 PM
...there is a good chance (too soon to be sure yet) that she will come to us by the end of this year!! :)

I will pray that it all works out. Such trying should be rewarded, especially for such a good thing. Sometimes, these things don't work out, and there seems to be no justice in the universe... but then there are other times when things work out so well you could swear something was helping you out. I hope the latter is your case. :D

51 year old me is gonna be daddy to a 1 year old! :shock:

8) No big deal... 8) My uncle and his wife are about to have a baby, and his youngest is seventeen! Life rolls along... :arrow:

Very helpful talk for me, thank you and Gassho. I had the best sit in a long time after that.

Amelia

Kaishin
09-09-2011, 12:30 AM
That is great news, Jundo! Never too old to be a parent to a child in need, and certainly not uncommon these days with "Modern Families." Heck, my wife has a brother 25 years her junior!

andyZ
09-09-2011, 11:26 AM
Thank you Jundo for this talk. In the beginning of my Zen practice this question of "why bother if everything is already perfect" was really bugging me. It still does sometimes, but not as often. You just get up and do it.

Kyonin
09-09-2011, 11:50 AM
Those are wonderful news, Jundo! I hope with all my heart that your family grows soon!

Thank you for this teaching. It really means a lot.

Nenka
09-09-2011, 08:20 PM
Good news at last! :D

Hope it works out for you & your family!

Gassho

Jen

ChrisA
09-10-2011, 04:54 PM
You may have said it one hundred times, but I heard it as if for the first time thanks to your sharing your family's struggle with us. Gassho for that and best of luck in -- I hope! -- the home stretch.

murasaki
09-10-2011, 05:33 PM
Thank you, Jundo, and congratulations! I hope the rest of it goes smoothly for you (in addition to your looking at it already as going smoothly :) )

I look forward to sending her a very welcoming "n? h?o" :mrgreen:

gassho
Julia

Ekai
09-11-2011, 03:57 AM
I hope the adoption works out for you and your family so all of you can enjoy a bright, young child.

Thanks,
Jodi

Heisoku
09-11-2011, 07:08 AM
As my mum used to say 'Where there's a will, there's a way' and as you say 'without anger'. A great lesson Jundo and we are all willing you your way! ( I think the Chinese call it Yi)
Heartfelt best wishes for your family.

Gassho.

Myoku
09-11-2011, 12:12 PM
Having no preferences, accepting things as they are. When we see the world as it truly is, compassion arises naturally, and with compassion our action comes out of the requirements of every moment. So even without preferences and opinions we not just keep sitting under the tree. I believe :)
_()_
Peter

Shohei
09-11-2011, 05:18 PM
Exciting and OUCH... :D
I hope this all works out for you(s)!!
Your patience in this ongoing waiting has been an inspiration. Thank you for your teaching on this.

Gassho
Shohei

Shugen
09-13-2011, 12:48 AM
Good Luck and Thank You,

Ron

Rimon
09-13-2011, 02:15 PM
Those are wonderful news Jundo.
We have also started the paperwork to adopt a child -our second one- and considering how slow these processes are I'll become a father again in four or five years, so close to fifty too. We'll have to exchange notes on how to cope with it!

Deep gassho

RImon

Risho
09-13-2011, 05:28 PM
Thank you for this! I needed to hear this. Good luck with your hopefully soon to be daughter :)

I've been struggling with Ango this year.. I knew I would, I hold my preferences very, very closely. Sometimes not so much. Sometimes practice comes easily, but other times, it is a struggle. On one hand I want to fight for what I want. Then it's easy to pervert this teaching into just laying back and giving up... but it's the clarity of this teaching that's cutting through that saying "adjust to reality and keep pushing on". Easier said than done. Sometimes my ego just wants to sit in a corner and yell if it doesn't get what it wants.

But the key is to never give up. That's what keeps me coming back. So many people can start, but there are few finishers, not that this ever ends (well while we are living I suppose :) )

Gassho,

Risho

Myoku
09-13-2011, 05:52 PM
Keep on going Risho, its all preactice. Seeing the struggle, noticing what we do, why we do what we do, thats all wonderful practice. And just as you say, return to the path, walk with all your fellow treeleafers...
Gassho
Peter

Shokai
09-13-2011, 06:10 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Axi752aV-f0/ShMLR4UFFmI/AAAAAAAAAKE/qlu4qyM9b5I/s400/dogblog.bmp

Kaishin
09-13-2011, 07:33 PM
I've been struggling with Ango this year.. I knew I would,

Struggling right along with you! But as Jundo told me recently, if it isn't a struggle then your Ango goals are too easy :)

Risho
09-14-2011, 02:12 AM
Thanks guys :)

Hoyu
09-14-2011, 10:15 AM
Hope everything works out soon Jundo. That room deserves to be filled with the laughter of a child not boxes!!

Gassho,
John

Jundo
10-08-2011, 01:05 PM
http://www.roberthecht.com/gallery_notice/files/Armchair_Buddha_thumb.jpg

We encounter again the instruction neither to become entangled in circumstances, nor fall into emptiness ... neither remaining in one extreme or the other, finding that which embraces and expresses both.

But it is not something merely to talk or philosophize about experiencing life this way, like some "ARMCHAIR BUDDHA". Rather, it is to pierce the wholeness of Zazen, carve such into one's bones, bring such to life in this ordinary life.

Thus, the Xin Xin Ming tells us ...

The more you talk and think about it,
the further astray you wander from the truth.
Stop talking and thinking,
and there is nothing you will not be able to know.
To return to the root [of emptiness] is to find the meaning,
but to pursue appearances is to miss the source.
At the moment of inner enlightenment
there is a going beyond appearance and emptiness.
The changes that appear to occur in the empty world
we call real only because of our ignorance.

The passage closes with a simple reminder that finding truth is not a matter of searching for truth. Rather ... dropping opinions, preferences, aversions and attractions ... neither caught in circumstances nor in emptiness, but knowing the wholeness of one as the other ... Truth is found.

Do not search for the truth;
only cease to cherish opinions.

D.T. Suzuki translates and expresses the wordless words of the passage this way:

Wordiness and intellection –
The more with them the further astray we go;
Away therefore with wordiness and intellection,
And there is no place where we cannot pass freely.
When we return to the root, we gain the meaning;
When we pursue external objects, we lose the reason.
The moment we are enlightened within,
We go beyond the voidness of a world confronting us.
Transformations going on in an empty world which confronts us,
Appear real all because of Ignorance:
Try not to seek after the true,
Only cease to cherish opinions.

Today’s Sit-A-Long video follows at this link. Remember: recording ends soon after the beginning bells; a sitting time of 15 to 35 minutes is recommended

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaiUWwUhVjA

Onken
10-08-2011, 06:08 PM
Thankn you Jundo.

Gassho,

Matt

Jinyu
10-08-2011, 06:20 PM
Hi Jundo! :D

Couldn't thank you for you teachings on this beautiful Chan classic... more than ever actual and transcending ideas, schools and even Buddhas! :wink:

Thank you!
gassho,
Jinyu

Myozan Kodo
10-08-2011, 06:40 PM
Love the Yogi Berra line. So we're like takin Yogi in the ancient Indian sage sense, right?
Gassho, with thanks for the teachings.
Soen

Dokan
10-08-2011, 07:15 PM
Thank you Jundo. And thank you to your wife for her help. Breaks my heart to hear about those school children.

Gassho,

Shawn

Nenka
10-08-2011, 09:36 PM
_/_

Jen

Jundo
10-09-2011, 02:52 AM
Hi,

I just added to the original post another translation by D.T. Suzuki, wordless words that hit the mark:

Wordiness and intellection –
The more with them the further astray we go;
Away therefore with wordiness and intellection,
And there is no place where we cannot pass freely.
When we return to the root, we gain the meaning;
When we pursue external objects, we lose the reason.
The moment we are enlightened within,
We go beyond the voidness of a world confronting us.
Transformations going on in an empty world which confronts us,
Appear real all because of Ignorance:
Try not to seek after the true,
Only cease to cherish opinions.

Kyonin
10-09-2011, 05:44 PM
Thank you, Sensei.

Dosho
10-12-2011, 02:24 PM
Jundo,

Thank you for this teaching.

Gassho,
Dosho

Myoku
10-12-2011, 02:36 PM
..same emphasis on doing, on practice, just like Dogen, thanks Jundo
_()_
Peter

Hoyu
10-14-2011, 02:10 AM
No opinions, no attractions, just a simple gassho _/_

Nindo
10-14-2011, 04:13 AM
The broken parts of my life, the broken pieces of my heart - when will I stop running and turn towards them?
Just hurting seems to be so hard, so frightening.
_/_

Kaishin
10-14-2011, 05:14 PM
"only cease to cherish opinions"

There's maybe nothing more difficult.

_/_

ghop
10-19-2011, 04:30 PM
Just watched this talk for the first time.

Cool stuff.

Like the quote. :lol:

Someone said, "I was once struck by the idea of lightning."

I feel like Buddha is kicking my butt right now. Forcing me, if you will, to look deeply into myself
(something I'd rather not do) and examine my motives and fears (I'd rather have a beer and watch
a baseball game)...in other words, somehow, this crazy practice of just sitting, just sitting when
things are good, and just sitting when things are falling apart, this butt-to-solid-ground (or no-ground!)
practice of shikantaza, is opening my heart (not in a cheesy sense) by making me see how soft
and weak and vulnerable and strong and courageous and...well, human, it really is.

For instance, why does it seem like I only post on Treeleaf when I have something to whine about?

Or I'm afraid?

Or lonesome?

Such as the recent panic attacks. I look back over most of my posts and I realize how little I have
actually been there for others on Treeleaf. And then I look at how little I have been here for people
right in front of my nose.

I vow often to relieve the suffering of others. But do I? Or do I add to it?

Sitting zazen is like being opened by the skilled hands of a surgeon, only I am conscious so I either
look at what is sick and being cut away or I close my eyes.

Buddha is a good doctor. Tells the truth. Not afraid to touch a wound. That is, if I'm not afraid
to let him.

gassho
Greg

Shokai
10-20-2011, 12:23 PM
Thanks Greg, good analogy; keep sitting :)
_/_

Risho
10-27-2011, 01:41 PM
Gassho for this teaching Jundo sensei. I sometimes listen to the talks a few times before I comment. I really love this teaching. I didn't "get" this when I first started practicing Zen. It's funny how the teachings start becoming clearer and clearer over time.

It is scary to think that a little over 50 years ago, there were megalomaniacs wiping out people.. Hitler, Stalin. Then we dropped multiple bombs on Japan. It's just so scary. It wasn't that long ago.

Not to get political, but I often think of how our current times remind me of pre-World War II Germany. Money is tight, we need someone to blame. The Muslims or the immigrants. I hope it does not go that way. The US was founded on difference of culture; it gives us a richness. It was also founded on freedom of religion and separation of Church and State, so I hope cooler heads prevail in Washington.

Speaking of Hiroshima, yesterday I read that our largest nuclear bomb was disarmed, and we are opening an online embassy with Iran. I hope we see peace before my time is up here. I hope one day we can get rid of our weapons.

So back to this :mrgreen: I simply love this teaching. In my life, in my job in particular, I can have a lot of stress, but it's all about how I look at things. When things are broken, or have problems, I can freak out. I can worry that I'm not good enough, etc. But I've found if I can actually approach things with curiosity then all that other bs in my mind goes away.

This is a lot like zazen. Some days it's easy to say, "wow my zazen is really crappy today with all these thoughts running through my head". So you can force those thoughts out or get caught in them, or take a view of curiosity of what are those thoughts? Just observe them.. and let them go. Just like some other wise teachers talk about on here :mrgreen: That's very, very powerful, the calm in the storm.

Gassho,

Risho

Shokai
10-27-2011, 03:45 PM
hi Cyril;

I lived in Hiroshima for 5 yrs, embalmed bodies that still showed the effect of the bomb 55 yrs later. In discusiions I would remind the Japanese that I also was a Gembako survivor. I was only eight when it happened but it gave usthe requird trauma to respect nuclear power. And, as for the other, we are all immigrants at one stage or another so, foged abou it !! :lol: We'll survive if we stay mindful. :D

_/_

Risho
10-27-2011, 04:34 PM
Yes you are absolutely right!

What is Gembako?

Jundo
10-29-2011, 02:36 PM
http://www.tastyhomecooking.com/images/Apple%20Yogurt%20Dessert%20cutting%20apple.jpg

A fruity talk returning to this passage of the XIN XIN MING ... a fundamental view of most Eastern religions in one way or another, as basic as "A is for Apple" ... really quite simple though the mind resists to see ...

When no discriminating thoughts arise, the old mind ceases to exist.
When thought objects vanish, the thinking-subject vanishes,
as when the mind vanishes, objects vanish.
Things are objects because of the subject;
the subject is such because of things (object).
Understand the relativity of these two
and the basic reality: the unity of emptiness.
In this Emptiness the two are indistinguishable
and each contains in itself the whole world.
If you do not discriminate between coarse and fine
you will not be tempted to prejudice and opinion.

... a description of the subject/object divisions created by the discriminating, divisive thoughts of the mind ... separating its own little 'self' from a perceived 'not the self', this from that ... creating a subject in relation to 'not self' objects, and objects in relation to subject. The mind is like a knife, slicing and dicing the unbroken wholeness of a juicy apple into countless pieces ... one of which you perceive as "you" standing in contrast to "not you" in the mind's eye

Halt the process of dividing, and Wholeness is again perceived. Cease all judgments and categorizations, and frictions cease, scars heal. The apple is restored, pristine.

As well, every bit contains and expresses the whole too, much like every bite of an apple contains the sweetness of the apple.

How much clearer can such be laid out? An apple ripe for the plucking!

(and when life hands ya lemons ... make lemonade!) :wink:

Today’s Sit-A-Long video follows at this link. Remember: recording ends soon after the beginning bells; a sitting time of 15 to 35 minutes is recommended

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CIN998_14o&feature=related

Seishin the Elder
10-29-2011, 03:52 PM
Oh wonderful, my favorite mantra....Yum!

So then when we eat the apple, we become the apple, we are the apple, we partake of appleness and not only experience appleness but also become what appleness is. Is the apple sweet just sitting there, or when it is being eaten. As I experience apple, do I become sweet, apple itself. What a fortunate example and wonderful autumn experiment.

This past week, I was at my Abbey which has an apple orchard. I was wandering the Abbey grounds and walked through the orchard. Most of the trees had already been picked for the seasons produce to make dried apples, apple sauce, apple butter and such. A few rather withered apples remained on the trees for the migrating birds to peck at. Then I saw one lone, whole round apple that had been missed, just within reach of a wandering monk. I picked it, washed it and ate it while I enjoyed the brisk air carrying the scent of burning leaves, the maples bright red over the hill.....Yum!

Gassho,

Seishin Kyrill

ghop
10-29-2011, 04:55 PM
I have a new favorite talk.

Thanks Jundo.

Now, for some apple pie :shock:

gassho
Greg

Dosho
10-29-2011, 07:41 PM
Jundo,

But, now I must go...for some reason I'm hungry. ;)

Gassho,
Dosho

Shokai
10-29-2011, 07:53 PM
_/_ :wink:

Shogen
10-31-2011, 03:55 AM
Oh wonderful, my favorite mantra....Yum!

So then when we eat the apple, we become the apple, we are the apple, we partake of appleness and not only experience appleness but also become what appleness is. Is the apple sweet just sitting there, or when it is being eaten. As I experience apple, do I become sweet, apple itself. What a fortunate example and wonderful autumn experiment.

This past week, I was at my Abbey which has an apple orchard. I was wandering the Abbey grounds and walked through the orchard. Most of the trees had already been picked for the seasons produce to make dried apples, apple sauce, apple butter and such. A few rather withered apples remained on the trees for the migrating birds to peck at. Then I saw one lone, whole round apple that had been missed, just within reach of a wandering monk. I picked it, washed it and ate it while I enjoyed the brisk air carrying the scent of burning leaves, the maples bright red over the hill.....Yum!

Gassho,

Seishin Kyrill

Brother Seishin Kyrill

When you set your mind to the written word you create such beautiful poetry. Something as simple as a stroll through the orchard on an autum day shows the universe displaying a thing of beauty. Thank you so much. Yum indeed Gassho Shogen.

Shogen
10-31-2011, 04:00 AM
Jundo
Thank you for sparing no expense on props for this teaching. I love apples and eat a lot of them. So from now on when I eat one this teaching will be with me. Gassho Shogen

Myozan Kodo
10-31-2011, 08:07 AM
I will from now on use the term "the Big Apple" instead of the "Dharmakaya"!
Gassho

andyZ
10-31-2011, 01:38 PM
Thank you Jundo for the teaching.
Apple being one of my favourite fruit, it was really hard to concentrate on what you were saying while you were playing with that juicy thing :)

Kyonin
10-31-2011, 03:17 PM
Thank you for this wonder, wonderful teaching, Jundo.

Lots to sit with and non-think.

Dokan
10-31-2011, 05:47 PM
Thank you Jundo.

Gassho,

Shawn

PS - Up on podcast now.

Heisoku
10-31-2011, 09:54 PM
Gembako = atom bomb

Thanks for the teaching Jundo.
Wholeness is really powerful..everything is in it together!
Just got to feel it in the gut, bone and marrow. Just gotta sit.

Jiken
11-01-2011, 02:40 PM
Thanks Jundo

Myoku
11-01-2011, 02:57 PM
Gassho and Thank you,
Peter

Hoyu
11-03-2011, 02:13 AM
An apple a day may keep the doctor away......but there's no better medicine than the Dharma :D
Fantastic talk!

Gassho,
John

Nenka
11-04-2011, 01:10 AM

Or perhaps lemons bars, which are also sweet, sour, delicious pieces of a whole :D

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6091/6310950944_0b65e3c2d9.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/26380553@N05/6310950944/)

Gassho

Jen

Hoyu
11-04-2011, 02:44 AM

Or perhaps lemons bars, which are also sweet, sour, delicious pieces of a whole :D

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6091/6310950944_0b65e3c2d9.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/26380553@N05/6310950944/)

Gassho

Jen
Oh Jen that looks sooooo delicious!

Kaishin
11-07-2011, 07:02 PM
_/_

Jundo
11-08-2011, 02:54 PM
http://www.martialartsactionmovies.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/balancing-soccer-ball-on-head.jpg

Just letting things be in their own way (even the hard things in life) is neither easy nor hard.

Neither be hesitant and fearful, nor wound too tight and charging forward. (This reminds me of the Buddha's famous parable of the lute strings ... strung neither too loose nor too tight to produce beautiful music)

Do not cling, but be open and spacious beyond limits ... Do not even cling to the goal of 'not clinging' or Enlightenment!

Do not run after or run away, but flow with the flow ... letting all things rest as they are. The more you chase after the goal, the further the goal becomes.

To live in the Great Way
is neither easy nor difficult,
but those with limited views
are fearful and irresolute:
the faster they hurry, the slower they go.
Clinging cannot be limited;
even to be attached to the idea of enlightenment
is to go astray.
Just let things be in their own way
and there will be neither coming nor going.

That's how the game is played. Even as we chase after life's goals to keep food on the table and the wolves from the door, running here and there ... abandon all chasing, running after or away. Win or lose ... the game is Won is One.

(sorry about the sound quality today ... it is what it is too 8) )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vObXjWw-Ldk

Shokai
11-08-2011, 07:16 PM
:D _/_

Ray
11-08-2011, 10:53 PM
Thanks jundo,

I hope everything works out and the new arrival will be very lucky. These will be exciting times for your family! You have been fighting the good fight.

With regards to the general point of people standing up and taking action for what they believe in did I understand things Correctly that when we do this we should also have a stillness within?

Ray
11-08-2011, 11:46 PM
Thanks very much jundo.

I sometimes think of a football player from Norway that seemed to always score when he had no time to think about things. In that moment he was at one with everything and something deeper within would take over in that moment. When he was given time to think about things in front of the goal he would make a real mess of things. His name was herald brattback and he player for glasgow celtic about 10 years ago.

In our practice it is about living every second of the game.

Gassho

Ray

Dustin
11-09-2011, 12:51 AM
Thanks Jundo

Gassho,
Dustin

Jundo
11-09-2011, 01:06 AM
Thanks jundo,

I hope everything works out and the new arrival will be very lucky. These will be exciting times for your family! You have been fighting the good fight.

With regards to the general point of people standing up and taking action for what they believe in did I understand things Correctly that when we do this we should also have a stillness within?

Hi Ray,

I would say that the central pivot point of our Way is to ALWAYS have stillness within.

However, the meaning of "stillness" is perhaps a little special in a Zenny sort of way ...

That's because it is a "Stillness" that expresses itself as both life's stillness and life's motion ... a Peace of One Piece found in peace and even in sometime war and chaos.

It is a "Stillness" found both sitting quietly and unmoving on the Zafu or running toward the goal line on the football field or running like hell from life's hungry tigers!

It is a "Stillness within" that we may come to see is not limited by "within" or "without", but sweeps in and vibrantly dances all the world.

It is a "Stillness" that is perfectly still and always present when seen and sensed and when not seen at all at dark times ... much like the shining moon is always present in the sky even when hidden by clouds in the dark night.

So, this Practice is founded upon coming to know that Stillness on the cushion and off ... sitting, standing, walking, running or flying through the air ... sweeping in and sweeping out both inside and out.

Something like that.

Gassho, J

PS - By the way, looks like we will be off to China around December to bring our little girl home. We received word of a little girl, and some photos ... and all is looking like it will happen this time. I will write more when the day gets closer. I am Still within, but my wife and my expectant hearts are going pitter-pat.

ghop
11-09-2011, 01:15 AM
In "The Dragon Who Never Sleeps," Robert Aitken offers a gatha that I think goes along perfectly with this talk...

When I hear people say, "Let it happen,"
I vow with all beings
to work toward making it happen--
if it doesn't, then that's how it goes.

Thanks for the talk Jundo. And good luck to your son and his team.

gassho
Greg

Ray
11-09-2011, 04:08 PM
Thanks Very Much Jundo,

You have explained things very clearly.

This all sounds like a very deep eternal stillness.

With regards to your wee girl; this is great news that she will be joining your family next month. I hope it all goes well!

Metta to all of you :)

Gassho

Ray

Kaishin
11-09-2011, 04:37 PM
PS - By the way, looks like we will be off to China around December to bring our little girl home. We received word of a little girl, and some photos ... and all is looking like it will happen this time. I will write more when the day gets closer. I am Still within, but my wife and my expectant hearts are going pitter-pat.

Very exciting news! Keep us posted...

Hoyu
11-10-2011, 03:49 AM
Another wonderful real world teaching! I appreciate how you always seem to be able to integrate all of life around us and make a profound lesson out of it. Or rather, point to life itself, which is the greatest teaching of all. Thank you Jundo Sensei. And like Greg said good luck to Leon and his team :D

Gassho,
John

Jundo
11-11-2011, 02:48 AM
Thanks Very Much Jundo,

You have explained things very clearly.

This all sounds like a very deep eternal stillness.

An "Eternal" Stillness, perhaps, that shines right through-and-through all human images of eternal or not eternal, changing or anything to change, shallow or deep, all sounds loud or soft or totally quiet.

Gassho, J

Myoku
11-11-2011, 05:34 PM
Gassho Jundo,
Peter

Ray
11-12-2011, 01:10 PM
Thanks jundo.

Gassho

ray

Dokan
11-13-2011, 02:14 PM
Thanks Jundo!

G

s

PS - Posted to Podcasts.

Kaishin
11-14-2011, 04:46 PM
_/_

Dosho
11-17-2011, 02:57 PM
Jundo,

Gassho,
Dosho

Jundo
11-18-2011, 02:28 PM
http://www.ignca.nic.in/coilnet/images/jtk2/big/bjtk086a.jpg This picture from a temple in India is said to be the aged Buddha not feeling so well. In other images, the Buddha would recline when ill ... an excellent way to "lay" Zazen when one can't get out of bed ...

http://www.ignca.nic.in/coilnet/images/jtk2/big/bjtk086d.jpg

Our Xin Xin Ming today speaks of moments of freedom and clarity which can come even amid the murkiness, uncertainty and fear of being sick ...

Obey the nature of things,
and you will walk freely and undisturbed.
When thought is in bondage the truth is hidden,
for everything is murky and unclear,
and the burdensome practice of judging brings annoyance and weariness.
What benefit can be derived from distinctions and separations?

PS - Unlike America, they don't use anesthesia for colonoscopies in Japan ... in case you were wondering ... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZJaWtgpZLk

Dosho
11-18-2011, 02:52 PM
Jundo,

Thank you for this teaching...and much metta to all those ill in health...

...as well as a quick smile or giggle when you can manage it. ;)

Gassho,
Dosho

Kaishin
11-18-2011, 08:18 PM
Thank you, Jundo. Very timely as I have a family member recovering from cancer surgery. Definitely needed the laugh!

_/_

Shogen
11-19-2011, 04:36 AM
Jundo
I think you may have removed the last excuse for not doing zazen. Chuckle included to make it easier to remember. Price of admission accomplished. Gassho Shogen

Jigetsu
11-19-2011, 05:54 AM
It did make me laugh. :D The vacuum was an excellent touch!

Dokan
11-19-2011, 06:09 AM
I was floored when you said you did zazen while getting a colonoscopy! Not because of the obvious distraction involved..but because about 4 or 5 years ago I had done the exact same thing. Well, not exactly. I had a "virtual" (felt pretty real to me) colonoscopy where they put a balloon (which I was sure was the size of a Macy's Day parade inflatable) in the backdoor and then slide you into an MRI unit and scan you for what felt like an eternity. This was a situation where I'd rather not be able to say "Been there, done that!"

G,

s

Now the dilemma of which quote to use...guess I'll use both.

The original:
"To infinity...and beyond!"

and the equally apt:
"To boldly go where no man has gone before!"

http://blog.nj.com/hudsoncountynow_impact/2008/11/large_buzz-lightyear-balloon-macys-thanksgiving-day-parade.jpg

PS - Posted now up to Poodcast...

Myoku
11-19-2011, 08:36 AM
Gassho :)
Peter

Dustin
11-20-2011, 03:35 AM
Thank you Jundo

Kyonin
11-21-2011, 05:18 PM
This teaching is a reminder for me that even when sick I can still sit and flow with life.

Thank you, Jundo Sensei.

KellyRok
11-21-2011, 05:45 PM
Thank you Jundo! You definitely gave me a laugh :wink: ! I find a sense of humor helps a lot of things in life.

Gassho and smiles to all going through health concerns right now,

Kelly/Jinmei

Hoyu
11-22-2011, 03:28 AM
Hilariously funny & seriously profound all in one! Quite a pleasure to sit along with.
May all those who are ill in health find those precious moments of refuge in laughter and equanimity _/_

andyZ
11-22-2011, 11:20 AM
The props are getting better and better with each episode :)
Thank you for the teaching.

Shokai
11-22-2011, 11:29 AM
Jundo-oso;

Thank you for this recreation of a forgettable moment :D I have so far avoided this one, especially the intimacy with a vacuum cleaner. :lol:
"To infinity...and beyond, in deed!" Let's take a moment to think of those with discomfort and wish that they may find that glimmer of peace.

Ray
11-23-2011, 10:36 PM
Thanks so much for the teaching.

Metta to all those who are unwell.

Gassho

Ray

Jundo
11-26-2011, 08:26 AM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ltyxpd8ePA1qahuhjo1_500.jpg This week's passage of the Xin Xin Ming instructs us how to live in this trying and hectic life, yet with a mind open, clear and free ... living amid and as this world of the senses, thoughts, goals, emotions -- yet light, unfettered, unbound ... seeing distinctions and complexity as Wholeness and Simplicity ... at once, as one ...

If you wish to move in the One Way
do not dislike even the world of senses and ideas.
Indeed, to accept them fully
is identical with true Enlightenment.

The wise man strives to no goals
but the foolish man fetters himself.

This is one Dharma, not many: distinctions arise
from the clinging needs of the ignorant.
To seek Mind with the discriminating mind
is the greatest of all mistakes.

I am reminded of this description (by Zen Teacher Kyogen Carlson) of the lessons of clouds and water. I happened to read it this week. Kyogen talks of a Chinese poem which contains the line: "To drift like clouds and flow like water."

... ... Neither clouds nor water insist upon

any particular form, for they take shape according to conditions. Clouds

attach to nothing, and so drift freely across the sky. Water twists and

turns on its way down hill in complete accord with the path it must

follow. The flowing of the water has the strength to move mountains,

while the drifting of the clouds is utterly free. In these qualities we

have a perfect description of the Zen mind. Just as clouds cling to

nothing, floating free and changing with the wind, acceptance of change

is the essence of nonattachment and expresses the perfect freedom of

meditation. Flowing water follows its course naturally, without

resistance or hesitation. This lack of resistance describes the

willingness at the heart of a true commitment to Zen practice, which

like water, has the strength to move mountains.

http://www.universalquest.com/driftingcloud.htm (http://http://www.universalquest.com/driftingcloud.htm)

A very good way to move through and whole with the complexities of life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nolsH1MXbdw

Dokan
11-26-2011, 02:30 PM
Thank you Jundo.

Gassho,

Shawn

PS - Up on podcast.

Myoku
11-26-2011, 03:19 PM
Thanks Jundo,
_()_
Peter

Shogen
11-26-2011, 05:28 PM
Jundo
Very happy to see a daughter will become part of your family soon. Persistence is a beautiful trait. The China trip will be interesting to see. All things are Buddha... even goals. Gassho Shogen

Ray
11-27-2011, 10:26 PM
Thanks jundo.

Gassho

Ray

Hoyu
11-28-2011, 03:11 AM
Thank you Jundo Sensei. Looking forward to virtually tagging along with you to China!

Gassho,
John

Kyonin
11-28-2011, 03:11 PM
Thank you Jundo-Sensei.

Dosho
11-28-2011, 04:13 PM
Jundo,

Gassho,
Dosho

Myoku
11-28-2011, 06:47 PM
Btw, wonderful picture, do you know its name or artist ?
_()_
Peter

Jundo
11-29-2011, 04:26 AM
Btw, wonderful picture, do you know its name or artist ?
_()_
Peter

I believe it is ...

Taki Sansui Ga. Waterfall landscape
by Scroll artist Kako. This is an old scroll with a wonderful romanticised landscape of the Hannoki Falls at 497 metres making it the largest waterfall in Japan

http://www.bonsaiinformation.com/Penglai.html (http://http://www.bonsaiinformation.com/Penglai.html)

Gassho, J

Myoku
11-29-2011, 09:12 AM
Thank you Jundo

Shokai
11-29-2011, 01:21 PM
Thank you JUndo;

"There is no distinction or location, no edge or outside."
May we all meet at Shaolin to encounter the true Dharma, the wisdom of the petunia and the spacious mind of Daruma.

Safe journey to you and family,

_/_

Myozan Kodo
11-29-2011, 03:15 PM
When I was a kid Ming meant just Ming the Merciless. I'm glad to have found a new association for this word. Great series Jundo. Sincere thanks.
Gassho

Jundo
12-18-2011, 05:08 AM
I am in China today, where Youtube is banned ... so I am not sure if I can post today's sitting or not ....

But I would like to wish each and all members of Treeleaf, and our "Sit-a-Long" family, a Peaceful Rohatsu, Merry Christmas and Happy Chanukah ...

.... as well as All the Happy Holidays of Peace and Goodwill, whenever and whatever they are ...

... and a Very Tranquil and Content 'Just This Very Moment' too, ever new and changing ...

This also leads to a related topic ...

Heading home to see family and friends always presents a few special "opportunities for Practice" at this time of year ...

Meeting family and old friends ... how do you explain to them about "being a Buddhist"?

You may even start to feel a little guilty for not being part of the religion you were raised in.

How should we celebrate the holidays with friends and family?

My answer: Sing all the songs, be with the ones we love ... Celebrate Peace & Joy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTXKHMmzyLo

andyZ
12-19-2011, 12:02 PM
Thank you Jundo, your Buddhist jingles made me smile :)
Wish you and all Sangha a happy holiday season!

Shokai
12-19-2011, 12:48 PM
Thank you Jundo;

Thank you for the holiday wisdom :lol:
Wishing you a happy China experience and Holiday happiness to all of Tree Leaf

_/_ :D

Nindo
12-19-2011, 06:36 PM
And happy Solstice to all !!!!
8)

Myoku
12-20-2011, 08:14 AM
Thank you, a timely reminder
_()_
Peter

Ray
12-20-2011, 09:29 AM
Thank you Jundo,

After listening to your talk, am going to feel less of an alien when I get dragged to the Sikh temple every week!

May all at treeleaf have a joyous and peaceful Christmas and new year.

Gassho

Ray

Rimon
12-20-2011, 11:23 AM
You are great Jundo! Thanks for sharing.

I love the idea of turning the rohatsu into a family event. Keep us posted about that.

This Xmas I'm going to work on a koan: how do you silently sing "Silent Night"? :lol:

Gasho-ho-ho

Rimon

Dokan
12-20-2011, 01:56 PM
Thank you Jundo.

Enjoy your time with your new one.

G

s

PS - Published to podcast! As an aside...you mention the challenge of viewing YouTube in China, but apparently you can hear the podcast! Here's a shot of the Treeleaf podcast listeners:

Also, visitors who have read about the podcast (or bots):

Attached files http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/images/attachments_phpbb/65896=606-Capture.JPG (http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/images/attachments_phpbb/65896=606-Capture.JPG) http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/images/attachments_phpbb/65896=607-Capture.JPG (http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/images/attachments_phpbb/65896=607-Capture.JPG)

Dosho
12-20-2011, 04:57 PM
Thank you Jundo.

Gassho,
Dosho

Kyonin
12-20-2011, 05:29 PM
You really made me smile with this talk and for that I thank you, Jundo San.

I totally agree. Sometimes we forget that our own mental blocks get in the way of enjoying the holidays.

And now I will perform for you Silent Night....

:)

Ekai
12-22-2011, 12:56 AM
Happy Holidays to you and your even bigger family.

I, too, like the idea of making the Buddhist holidays more family-friendly.

Thanks,
Jodi

Onshin
12-22-2011, 09:31 PM
Thank you and merry humbug one and all

Ho Ho Ho mani padme hum :lol:

BrianW
12-23-2011, 04:37 AM
Thank you Jundo ... happy holidays! And happy holidays to everyone at Treeleaf! 2011 one heck of year for me and the fam, but we're still a fam!

Gassho,
Jisen/BrianW

Hoyu
12-26-2011, 03:23 AM
How fun :lol:
Totally in favor of making more family friendly Buddhist holidays as well!

Gassho,
John

Jundo
12-31-2011, 03:36 AM
http://eco18.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/2012-sky.jpg Happy times, sad times, rainy days and sunny ... earthquake and nuclear disaster, good health and sickness ... the death of someone we love, our new daughter coming home ... getting older ... ups, downs, beginnings and endings ...

Oh, what a year this has been!

But in truth, a year like any year. The Buddha knew that such is the stuff of life, all of life filled with many things we long for and many we fear and resist ...

I usually describe Shikantaza Zazen to newcomers by a "sky-and -clouds" metaphor (one of the 'classic' metaphors in the Zen world) .... with the Light, Clear, Open, Boundless Shining Sun and Sky as Buddha Nature ... and clouds of ignorance, thoughts and emotions that may becloud or obstruct our experiencing such.

Yet our way of Shikantaza (unlike some flavors of meditation and Zazen) is not about attaining a mind always 100% totally free of clouds, though sometimes that may come too. Rather, sometimes we do and sometimes we don't ... clouds drift in, clouds drift out. Sometimes, the sky is so wide and blue and clear in all directions, without a cloud in the sky! That is good Zazen! Boundless, Cloud Free!

And sometimes (maybe most times), there are clouds drifting through the sky ... but we do not latch onto them or stir them up ... just let them go and drift away. Shining Blue peaks through the wide open spaces between the clouds. Moreover, the light of the sky can be seen to shine right through-and-through the clouds themselves ... so that clouds and sky are not seen as apart or in any conflict whatsoever. The clouds are now illuminated and transformed from their darkness, the Sun and Blue Shining right through-and-through each and all, and the Sky Whole. It is not "cloud free", but rather, the clouds are encountered as having been Free, Light and Clear All Along! 8) That is good Zazen too ... maybe even more precious than an all clear sky!

Now, sometimes (in human darkness and ignorance), the sky is so cloudy, fogged and stormy, filled with rampant thoughts and emotions, that the clear blue is completely hidden and bound in! That is not good Zazen ... that is just ignorance, confused and cloudy bad Zazen! And so, we should let the clouds clear and blow away, returning to the spacious, shining blue as described above.

However, even when the sky and sun are totally hidden ... not a patch of blue to see in the gray and stormy sky ... the sky and sun are still there even though we are blocked from seeing by the covering clouds. In fact, there is no bad Zazen ... even the bad Zazen.

More here:
"Right" Zazen and "Wrong" Zazen
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2783 (http://http://www.treeleaf.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2783)

Now, take those clouds as also representing too the events and times in our own life ... each cloud just happy times or sad times, rainy days and sunny ... earthquake and disaster, good health and sickness ... the death of someone we love, our new daughter coming home ... getting older ... beginnings and endings ...

... and just let them be too, the changing clouds of life moving along. Know the Light, Clear, Open, Boundless Shining Sun-and-Sky that illuminates each happening ... all the white clouds or black clouds or gray of daily life. Our way is not about always having a life free of problems, any more than there can be a sky always free of clouds! But each is instantly transformed in the Silent Illumination of the Bright Boundless Sky ... and the Sky and Clouds are seen as Whole ...

... even the darkest moment just Light, Clear, Open, Boundless, Shining when known as such!

It is a lovely way to live.

Happy New Year ...

... and a Peaceful Right This Moment to ALL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfmGs4RYm_g

Ray
01-02-2012, 03:54 PM
Thanks jundo.

I feel this talk ties up the loose ends of 2011 and also brings a lotn of your talks together from the last year. Which is the best way to end the year.

Happy new year to all the Treeleaf family and may all of you be free from suffering.

Gassho

Ray

Omoi Otoshi
01-02-2012, 05:05 PM
Hehe...
I'm brainwashed!

The night before you posted this, after Zazen my wife asked me if the sitting "went well". I didn't know how to answer that since sitting is never good or bad... So I told her about the blue sky and clouds... She said she got it. The day after I showed her this thread and her response was: "Yes? Isn't that exactly what you said yesterday?" :D

/Pontus

Dokan
01-02-2012, 05:17 PM
Thank you Jundo. Wishing you clear skies and a sky that is clear too.

Gassho,

Dokan

PS - Posted to Podcast!

Myozan Kodo
01-02-2012, 08:13 PM
Thank you Jundo for the teaching. And Happy New Year.
Gassho
Soen

Kyonin
01-02-2012, 10:52 PM
Thank you, Jundo.

Happy Right Now to all too!

Yugen
01-03-2012, 04:08 AM
I'm looking forward to sitting with all of you this coming year!

Gassho,
Yugen

Hoyu
01-05-2012, 02:58 AM
Happy right this moment! _/_

Gary
01-05-2012, 01:45 PM
Thank you Jundo, thank you all.
With gratitude
Gary

Risho
01-06-2012, 08:17 PM
Gassho! That was such a wonderful talk.

Risho

Dosho
01-10-2012, 03:07 AM
Jundo,

Gassho,
Dosho

Kaishin
01-10-2012, 06:42 PM
:lol:

As always, thank you for your wisdom and humor.

Kaishin
01-10-2012, 06:55 PM
_/_

Jundo
01-22-2012, 05:51 AM
http://blogs.psychcentral.com/mindful-living/files/2011/03/tm.jpg This week, Japanese Lineages of Soto Zen celebrate the 811th BIRTHDAY OF MASTER DOGEN! YEA! YIPPEE!

But in some ways, MASTER DOGEN IS VERY OLD AND OUT OF DATE!

Oh, don't misunderstand! So many of Dogen's Teachings are FOR ALL TIMES AND ALL PLACES. In fact, his vision of Time and Timelessness, BEING-TIME, is ALL TIME IN EVERY TIME, THIS TIME AS TOTALLY THIS TIME AND THAT TIME, ITS OWN TIMELY TIME, EACH TIME OR HALF TIME JUST A WHOLE TIME, A WORMHOLE-TIME, A RABBIT HOLE TIME ...THE WHOLE HOLY TIME. Dogen once-upon-a-time wrote this ...

Do not think that time merely flies away. Do not see flying away as the only function of time. If time merely flies away, you would be separated from time. The reason you do not clearly understand the time-being is that you think of time only as passing. In essence, all things in the entire world are linked with one another as moments. Because all moments are the time-being, they are your time-being. The time-being has the quality of flowing. So-called today flows into tomorrow, today flows into yesterday, yesterday flows into today. And today flows into today, tomorrow flows into tomorrow.

In my way of reading the old boy, DOGEN IS A RIFFING JHANA JAZZ MAN-POET, free expressing-bending-unbinding-reexpressing-releasing the 'standard tunes' of the Sutras and Koans, making time and keeping time in syncopation of time ...

Zen master Guixing of She Prefecture ... taught the assembly:

For the time being mind arrives, but words do not.
For the time being words arrive, but mind does not.
For the time being both mind and words arrive.
For the time being neither mind nor words arrive.

Both mind and words are the time-being. Both arriving and not-arriving
are the time-being. When the moment of arriving has not appeared, the moment
of not-arriving is here. Mind is a donkey, words are a horse.
Having-already-arrived is words and not-having-left is mind. Arriving is not
"coming," not-arriving is not "not yet."

That's Dogen-Time, Man! Digg It!

But sometimes Dogen is JUST A MAN OF HIS CULTURE AND TIMES, preaching about things with limited relevance today. You can take Dogen out of ancient samurai Japan, but you cannot take the ancient Japanese samurai out of Dogen. I find him sometimes obsessive, sometimes grumpy, sometimes naive and ill informed, sometimes perhaps downright wrong in his advice then and now (as in this guidance to a prospective monk on leaving his old infirm mother to fend for herself)

A monk inquired,

“My aged mother is still alive. I am her only son. She lives solely by my support. Her love for me is especially deep and my desire to fulfill my filial duties is also deep. ... If I leave the world and live alone in a hermitage, my mother cannot expect to live for even one day.

Dogen instructed,

If you abandon your present life and enter the Buddha-Way, even if your mother dies of starvation, wouldn’t it be better for you to form a connection with the Way and for her to permit her only son to enter the Way? Although it is most difficult to cast aside filial love even over aeons and many lifetimes, if, having being born in a human body you give it up in this lifetime, when you encounter the Buddha’s teachings you will be truly fulfilling your debt of gratitude. Why wouldn’t this be in accordance with the Buddha’s will? It is said that if one child leaves home to become a monk, seven generations of parents will attain the Way.

4.html">http://global.sotozen-net.or.jp/common_ ... 03-14.html

Hmmm.

(Also, to the mention of "many lifetimes" I offer another agnostic 'Hmmm'.)

At other times, Dogen spoke out of Both Sides of His No-Sided Mouth, for example, sometimes saying this about the practice of lay folks (usually when writing to lay folks, as here in Bendowa)

Q: Can a layman practice this zazen or is it limited to priests?

A: The patriarchs have said that to understand Buddhism there should be no distinction between man and woman and between rich and poor. ... It has nothing to do with being either a priest or a lay man. Those who can discern excellence and inferiority will believe Buddhism naturally. Those who think that worldly tasks hinder Buddhism know only that there is no Buddhism in the world; they do not know that there is nothing that can be set apart as worldly tasks in Buddhism. ... All this tells us that worldly tasks do not hinder Buddhism. ... In the age of the Buddha, even misguided criminals were enlightened through his teachings. Under the patriarchs, even hunters and woodcutters were enlightened. And others will gain enlightenment. All you have to do is to receive instructions from a real teacher.

At other times, later times in his life, Dogen changed his tune. When speaking to his band of "all boy" monks in a 13th century monastery in the snowy boondocks, you can often hear him, in talks from this period, dealing with real "human to human" issues in the monastery. A lack of donors and hard economic times, rough food and no money to fix the roof. From what we know of the Eiheiji monks, a hodgepodge of refugees with various spiritual and personal backgrounds, Dogen's work was sometimes like herding cantankerous cats. You can hear in his voice the coach or commander, trying to keep up the sometimes flagging morale among his "men" ... men probably sometimes wondering why they'd left the comforts of home life and town to live and sit through the hard, cold, long, lonely winter days in a monastery in the middle of nowhere. No easy task, unless you preach a little "fire and brimstone". He would say such things as (in Shobogenzo Shukke)

Clearly know that the attainment of the way by all Buddhas and ancestors is only accomplished by leaving the household and receiving the precepts. ... None of those who have not left the household are Buddha ancestors

Breaking the precepts as a home leaver is better than keeping them as a layperson. You cannot experience emancipation by keeping the precepts as a layperon."

Hmmm.

If Dogen had not been driven out of town with his small band of monks, his ecumenical dreams a bit tarnished, forced to take retreat in the lonely cold and snow of remote Echizen Province ... would he have later become so seemingly closed to lay practice? I wonder. But, no matter ... for Dogen was a man of many moods and visions, and even Dogen is not the "final word" on what Soto Zen is or is not, and who can practice and who cannot, on what "home leaving" is or is not.

Dogen was a genius, beyond doubt. He was also a man with strong, personal views and opinions. Although someone may be truly gifted in some aspects, and have All the Answers ... be it spiritual or otherwise ... he/she need not have all the answers in every part of their life, having every answer to every life question. Mozart, a genius, was nonetheless not so on all matters and all music for all times. It is enough for me that Dogen, or any of the Buddhas and Ancestors, pierced to the heart of how this mind-self-universe works ... even if their particular social or scientific views, or views on daily conduct or how to treat one's mother ... can be taken with a grain of salt. One need not live in a 13th century Japanese monastery to find the heart of these Teachings!

Master Dogen was sometimes just a man of his place and time, with views not necessarily always right for our times.

(OH, AND PLEASE WELCOME OUR NEW BABY DAUGHTER, WHO JOINED ME FOR PART OF TODAY'S TALK! DOGEN DIDN'T PRACTICE 'PAPA ZEN' EITHER!) :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsmwTJKgSD8&feature=related

Myozan Kodo
01-22-2012, 10:50 AM
A talk supreme.
Gassho
Myozan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fth9UUa1Mfw&feature=related

Rimon
01-22-2012, 02:22 PM
A talk supreme.
Gassho
Myozan
Indeed
Also great to see we have a new Zen teacher in the sangha, in charge of the bells. :D
Gonna try to switch my watch to Dogen time. I really enjoyed the first paragraph of the written text on the nature of time. Thank you Jun(do) Coltrane

Gassho

Rimon

Taigu
01-22-2012, 02:48 PM
gassssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssho

T.

Dokan
01-22-2012, 02:50 PM
Wonderful talk. Thank you Jundo.

Gassho,

Dokan

PS - Posted to podcast.

RichardH
01-22-2012, 02:57 PM
Thank you.

Gassho, Kojip.

Nenka
01-22-2012, 06:29 PM
:D

Gassho

Jen

Seiryu
01-22-2012, 08:36 PM
To truly understand Dogen, the Shobogenzo, once should simply put down trying to understand it in the head and go out for a nice walk in the park. With each step, with each breath, with each sound, with each sight, you will begin to see what this whole practice is about.

Omoi Otoshi
01-22-2012, 08:47 PM
Wait, you're saying Dogen is dead!? :shock: :shock: :shock: And HUMAN? :shock: :shock: :shock: I'm chocked!

:D

gassssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssho
Bless you!

/Pontus

Jundo
01-23-2012, 03:03 AM
To truly understand Dogen, the Shobogenzo, once should simply put down trying to understand it in the head and go out for a nice walk in the park. With each step, with each breath, with each sound, with each sight, you will begin to see what this whole practice is about.

Is that also true for playing the Puerto Rican 'cuartro' guitar which you play so well, and learning to appreciate jibara music? Simple walk in the park.

viewtopic.php?p=49658#p49658 (http://http://www.treeleaf.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=49658#p49658)

El sonido del viento. That and a daily Practice! Ten strings in five courses, tuned in fourths from low to high B-e-a-d'-g',54321, with B and E in octaves and A, D and G in unisons.

The untrained ear can't make head or tail of it, complex rhythms, notes flying, wild tempo ... Dogen in San Juan.

Gassho, J

Yugen
01-23-2012, 03:36 AM
Marvelous, Thank you!

Gassho,
Yugen

andyZ
01-23-2012, 02:31 PM
Great talk! Thank you.

Kyonin
01-23-2012, 03:27 PM

Indeed, we carry the dharma into everyday life :)

Shokai
01-23-2012, 04:16 PM
Thank you Jundo, I put this one on my favorites list :D

Ekai
01-23-2012, 05:53 PM
The best part of this teaching was seeing you with your daughter. She is so cute!

Gassho,
Ekai/Jodi

Kaishin
01-23-2012, 06:49 PM
Thank you so much for this talk. Very timely, as lately I have wondering to myself, "is Soto not a cult of Dogen? Was Dogen not also a man? Has nothing more been said in 800 years?"

I think you've laid it all to bare here, wonderfully. Your honest assessment of our ancestors is just one more reason this Sangha is so relevant to me.

And congrats again on the wonderful little life you've welcomed home!

Hoyu
01-24-2012, 06:59 PM
The best part of this teaching was seeing you with your daughter. She is so cute!

Gassho,
Ekai/Jodi
I agree!! :D

ghop
01-24-2012, 07:32 PM
Do they have angels in Buddhism?

They do now. :wink:

I probably won't remember anything you said after 8:20. My wife and I are avaiable for baby sitting btw :lol:

gassho
Greg

Nindo
01-24-2012, 07:37 PM
Da vinci code... LOL.
Best bell ringer ever! :lol:

Jinyu
01-25-2012, 04:16 AM
Thank you for this teaching Jundo!
Always so fresh and direct :mrgreen:

deep gassho,
Jinyu

Nenka
01-25-2012, 05:36 PM

Gassho,
Ekai/Jodi
I agree!! :D

You're getting upstaged! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jen

Myoku
01-26-2012, 06:47 AM
Gassho Jundo,
Myoku

Risho
01-26-2012, 10:16 PM
Ok, that is officially the cutest girl in this sangha :) My special spider sense tells me that perhaps she's daddy's little girl. :mrgreen:

Dogen really, really confuses me. For the parts of the Shobogenzo I've read, I understand some of it. Then there's parts that go way, way over my head. I have no idea what he's getting at. So it's hard for me to tell if he's genius for those things that I don't understand because I don't assume someone is genius just because I don't understand what they are saying.

I'm not saying he's not genius though because the things that I do understand are really special. But I think I probably don't understand a lot of what he's saying because I haven't sat for long enough. I can't relate to the Dharma as deeply as he can because obviously I'm no Zen master. That's like asking a sophomore in college (or preschooler in my case. lol ) to understand a paper written by one of the world's foremost brain surgeons.

But there's also the barrier of the idioms used in his culture and our own. (You've touched upon this before ; I can't remember the post, but I believe rapping was involved :) ) In any case, the idioms of his language are so foreign to our own that that presents a barrier let alone when he starts getting crazy. For example, and I'm totally going to destroy this story, but just to exaggerate my confusion. hahahaha

He writes about when the cart won't move do you whip the ox or the cart? You need to whip the cart and the ox. the cart precedes the ox... It's like he takes every permutation of a sentence and expresses it on paper. And it loses me. I don't know the point.

Maybe that is the point. I wonder if he did that to prove a point that the Dharma is not to be found by someone else's answers? You're not going to find the Davinci code or any key here. Perhaps he did that to instill the sense of constant questioning and wonder in his students. I'm just speculating.

Gassho,

Risho

Jundo
01-27-2012, 02:49 AM
Dogen really, really confuses me. For the parts of the Shobogenzo I've read, I understand some of it. Then there's parts that go way, way over my head. I have no idea what he's getting at. So it's hard for me to tell if he's genius for those things that I don't understand because I don't assume someone is genius just because I don't understand what they are saying.

Hi,

The following is my "Guide to Getting Dogen", and please have a look and let me know if it helps. When I started hearing Dogen in such way the Shobogenzo and other works became clearer to the ear ... and really is very much like someone at first not "getting Coltrane's Jazz", but then later developing an ear for it and coming to appreciate the taste of the sound.

How to Read Dogen
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2999 (http://http://www.treeleaf.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2999)

Here is what John Coltrane did and undid, for example, with "MY FAVORITE THINGS", that really "squaresville" (though lovely in its own way) tune that you may recall from THE SOUND OF MUSIC ... give a listen to a few minutes of this ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ds-sc_PJck&feature=related

One has to realize that Dogen was engaging in a kind of word play ... playing with the words and Buddhist teachings. I have included a few examples at the above link from some scholars working on the Soto-shu sponsored "Soto Zen Text Project" which show how Dogen took original stories and Koans, terms and images from Buddhist sutras and the like and playfully "played around." A couple of years ago, someone (Richard, I recall) pointed out the modern master of "word jazz", Ken Nardine, sometimes heard on the public radio. Give a little listen there too.

http://www.wordjazz.com/podcast/index.php?id=5 (http://http://www.wordjazz.com/podcast/index.php?id=5)

From bending, straightening and rebending the "classics" and "standard tunes", new Facets of the One Jewel emerge.

Let us know if any of that helps.

Gassho, 'Chao Chao' and Leon's Dad

andyZ
01-27-2012, 12:31 PM
Hi all,

First of all thank you Jundo for giving your fresh perspective on Dogen.

On the subject of understanding Dogen. 10 years ago, when I tried to start my Zen practice I tried (of course) to read Dogen's Shobogenzo, but utterly failed to understand much. Then I bought this book "Rational Zen: The Mind of Dogen Zenji" by Thomas Cleary. There he takes a passage from Dogen and rewrites it in his own language, with commentaries and references, so that we can understand it. I really like reading it.

Fast forward 10 years and my second attempt at Zen practice. I found this book again in one of the still unpacked moving boxes full with books. I started reading it again. This time I find it that mere intellectual understanding of Dogen just doesn't do it for me anymore. I think that without underlying practice it is impossible to really understand what Dogen meant.

When I'm in the shower, sometimes this passage from Dogen comes to mind, I don't fully understand everything he says but what I understand is when you're really intimate with things, "water practices and verifies water" just somehow makes a lot of sense.

Water is neither strong nor weak, neither wet nor dry, neither moving nor still, neither cold nor hot, neither being nor nonbeing, neither delusion nor enlightenment. Frozen, it harder than diamond; who could break it? Melted, it is softer than milk; who could break it?

This being the case, we cannot doubt the many virtues realized [by water]. We should study the occasion when the water of the ten directions is seen in the ten directions. This is not a study only of the time when humans or gods see water: there is a study of water seeing water. Water practices and verifies water; hence, there is a study of water telling of water. We must bring to realization the road on which the self encounters the self; we must move back and forth along, and spring off from, the vital path on which the other studies and fully comprehends the other.

Risho
01-29-2012, 04:11 PM
Thank you Jundo; the links are great. I'm going to read the books you suggest to get my feet wet then head into the Shobogenzo.

Gassho,

Risho

Jinyo
01-29-2012, 07:27 PM
Jundo - thanks for this - though it's a formidable reading list.

Should keep me busy for the next few years by which time I'll be old !:)

Gassho

Willow

Omoi Otoshi
01-29-2012, 08:53 PM
Rev Jundo, do you think it's better to read sutras and the different commentaries on the sutras first, and then Shobogenzo, or dig into Dogen first without prior sutra study?

Jundo
01-30-2012, 02:53 AM
Rev Jundo, do you think it's better to read sutras and the different commentaries on the sutras first, and then Shobogenzo, or dig into Dogen first without prior sutra study?

Hmmmm. Ours is a "Way Beyond Words & Letters" ... but most of those old monks (Dogen certainly, coming out of years of training with the Tendai tradition) were already highly conversant with the main body of Mahayana Sutra literature (plus commentaries, the South Asian Suttas via the Agamas) and the like. Their Zen talks & writings ... especially in Dogen's case ... were so often playing off/bouncing with/a reaction to all that.

So, I will take a Middle Way here.

What I recommend in our "How to Read Dogen" thread is this ...

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2999 (http://http://www.treeleaf.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2999)

Before reading and really 'digging Dogen', the best intro is to read Okumura Roshi's look at Genjo Koan ...

viewtopic.php?p=43761#p43761 (http://http://www.treeleaf.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=43761#p43761)

Much denser, but worth the effort, are the two Dr. Kim books (He wrote them a few years apart, and changed interpretation slightly over the years just a drop ) ... Each can be rather heavy going at points, but worth it.

http://www.amazon.com/Eihei-Dogen-Mysti ... 011&sr=8-3 (http://http://www.amazon.com/Eihei-Dogen-Mystical-Realist-Revised/dp/0861713761/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1251161011&sr=8-3)

http://www.amazon.com/Dogen-Meditation- ... gy_b_img_b (http://http://www.amazon.com/Dogen-Meditation-Thinking-Reflection-View/dp/0791469263/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b)

Also ... I VERY strongly recommend... Visions of Awakening Space and Time: Dogen and the Lotus Sutra (Paperback) by Taigen Dan Leighton (Author) ... about how Dogen wild-ed and bent the already wild and bent Lotus Sutra into something even more bent and wild ...

http://www.amazon.com/Lotus-Sutra-Conte ... gy_b_img_b (http://http://www.amazon.com/Lotus-Sutra-Contemporary-Translation-Buddhist/dp/0861715713/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b)

You probably want to read a good translation of the Lotus Sutra first, to see the "tune" that Dogen was working with. This by Reeves is very readable and a fantastic tale, right up there with "Alice in Wonderland" and such ...

http://www.amazon.com/Lotus-Sutra-Conte ... 0861715713 (http://http://www.amazon.com/Lotus-Sutra-Contemporary-Translation-Buddhist/dp/0861715713)

In fact, you might start with Taigen and the Lotus Sutra --before-- reading Dr. Kim, as Taigen is short and easier going to read.

Here is an essay available online, a part of Taigen's book. It will give you a taste ...

http://www.mtsource.org/articles/dogen_lotsutra.html (http://http://www.mtsource.org/articles/dogen_lotsutra.html)

Some familiarity with the Koan Stories that Dogen often relied on is helpful. The "Book of Equanimity" which we will soon be reading, and the Blue Cliff Record, are the source (and Source 8) ) for most of those.

I also always read two (or more) translations of a Shobogenzo section at once, for example, Tanahashi, Nishijima-Cross and (if possible, because it is not yet complete) Soto Zen Text Project ... The reason is that different translators phrase things in their own way, and (because Dogen was often working with double or triple entendres in his word-jazz) any translator struggles to capture that. Reading two at once helps to "triangulate" a bit what the original might be expressing in its classical Japanese (very different from modern Japanese, by the way). The Soto Zen Text Project is best (and Nishijima-Cross too) for its wonderful footnotes which trace down so many of the Sutra quotes, Koans, poems and the like that Dogen was playing as his "old standards". Nishijima-Cross is probably best for its "leave nothing out" precision. Tanahashi is best for his excellent poet's sensibility in writing style (very important in the case of Dogen, who was a true poet-wordsmith too).

Then ... just jump in, don't get lost in the head ... and let the music sink into the bones.

Gassho, J

Omoi Otoshi
01-30-2012, 05:57 AM
Thanks!
Still reading Mysterious Realist by dr Kim! And Genjo Koan is great. Until now I have only read pieces of the Shobogenzo and I will get a little more grounding before I read through it all.

Risho
01-30-2012, 04:40 PM
Hmmmm. Ours is a "Way Beyond Words & Letters"

Hold on, you can't fool us; you've showed us your library :mrgreen:

Kaishin
01-31-2012, 02:06 AM

Also check out the "Beginner's Sutra Studies" thread which kind of distills the HUGE recommended reading list into a few core works to start with:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3968&p=58389&hilit=beginner%27s+sutra+studies#p58213 (http://http://www.treeleaf.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3968&p=58389&hilit=beginner%27s+sutra+studies#p58213)

Jundo
01-31-2012, 04:40 AM

Also check out the "Beginner's Sutra Studies" thread which kind of distills the HUGE recommended reading list into a few core works to start with:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3968&p=58389&hilit=beginner%27s+sutra+studies#p58213 (http://http://www.treeleaf.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3968&p=58389&hilit=beginner%27s+sutra+studies#p58213)

Hi,

Hmmm. I actually would say not, as that is quiet a hodge-podge of folks' Sutra and other reading in that thread. I would not recommend that to new people.

I would recommend that new people to Shikantaza read the starred ** items in this thread, even just go down the list of ** from the top.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=889&p=12001#p12001 (http://http://www.treeleaf.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=889&p=12001#p12001)

I hope this year to expand that list, by the way, to include internet and magazine articles of merit. Ours is A Way Beyond Words and Letters, but Zen folks sure do write a lot! :shock: As long as one can see through and shining through the words ... and appreciate the wordless moments too ... then words themselves are not the problem.

Gassho, Jundo

Ray
01-31-2012, 03:07 PM
Thanks very much for such a practical teaching.

Gassho

Ray

Heisoku
02-07-2012, 09:30 PM
Dogen swings and shimmies!
Thanks Jundo.

Jundo
02-08-2012, 08:29 AM
http://i4.ytimg.com/vi/GoCDuBY5ALQ/3.jpg Our daughter has been in hospital all this week very sick, with Sepsis (a major infection of the blood) compounded by influenza. The sepsis is responding very well to treatment, but it is serious because of her age and she is still a very sick little girl. She's had a spinal tap and been poked and prodded. However, things are stable, looking up from a couple of days ago, the doctors sound very optimistic now, and she is in very good hands here in the pediatrics ward. Here's GASSHO to all nurses, doctors and health care workers EVERYWHERE!

My wife takes the night shift to stay with her, and I take part of the day. We have little rest this week, we are both worried. Our son Leon is sick at home too. There is nothing about the situation to like, and so much potentially to lose. Our heads sometimes fill with worst case scenarios. (The expense mounts too, as we do not have any insurance yet for our daughter just come to Japan ... one more worry in this modern age). If this is but a dream, it seems like a very bad one. Yet, especially at such times, the Xin Xin Ming counsels this ...

Rest and unrest derive from illusion;
with enlightenment there is no liking and disliking.
All dualities come from ignorant inference.
They are like dreams of flowers in the air:
foolish to try to grasp them.
Gain and loss, right and wrong:
such thoughts must finally be abolished at once.

It sounds like something far removed from reality ... yet it is Reality, as True as True ... and precisely at hard times like this, the power of this Buddhist Way manifests! All is at Rest right in the heart of exhaustion, there is Peace shining through life's sharp pieces. There is nothing possible to lose, never the least separation, not even 'life and death' ... even as hearts are broken and there is so much to lose in this life!

All At Once As One.

I mean the following with all I have. It may sound a little cold and unemotional to some, but in its flesh is the worry and heartache of a father with a sick child, and at its center is the beating Heart of Kannon ...

Life is sometimes sickness and sometimes health. I know that human beings prefer only the healthy days ... but Buddhas have no such preferences.

The Buddha left us this, the Most Powerful Teaching ...

... That there is never any loss possible, no place distant for our loved one to go, something wondrous that transcends sickness and health, birth and death ... no broken pieces ever in need of repair from the start. The dualities arise from ignorance, and all is a dream-flower in the sky. Dropped away, and all is Whole in an Instant.

I know it hard to feel so, especially on the most difficult days ... but it is so.

One can be anxious and worried as a parent can and must be ... and wonderously, simultaneously, not disturbed at all, not fearful in the least. Strange, this Buddhist Wisdom, isn't it?

Today's sitting is silent, no more words need be spoken. Just sitting in the hospital room with our sick child. We sit here too, Zazen is sitting anywhere.

Thank you for all who have sent Metta and good feelings, and done much sitting this week. It is so good to have the company of kind friends at hard times. I am so glad to be part of this Sangha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoCDuBY5ALQ

Myoku
02-08-2012, 08:49 AM
Gassho Jundo,
thank you for this teaching.
_()_
Myoku

gilles
02-08-2012, 10:18 AM
get well litle girl :D
i'll be sitting for you,your brother,your mum & your dad
thX jundo

gassho
gilles

Taigu
02-08-2012, 01:02 PM
Completly with all of you.
With all my heart.

gassho

Taigu

Marek
02-08-2012, 01:08 PM
_/_

Shugen
02-08-2012, 03:04 PM
_/_

Ron

Koshin
02-08-2012, 04:29 PM
Beautiful and powerful words of instruction in these difficult times.

Thank you very much, Jundo.

Metta

keniz138
02-08-2012, 06:11 PM
My wife is a pediatric ICU nurse...I don't know how she does it but I'm glad she does, as is anyone she cares for.

Thoughts and prayers for your little peanut's speedy recovery.

Seimyo
02-08-2012, 06:24 PM
I will be sitting with your family. Much metta.

Gassho,
Chris

Dokan
02-08-2012, 06:44 PM
Through tearful eyes, hope springs.

With all sincerity, thank you.

Much love to Sada and you all.

Gassho,

Dokan

PS - Posted to podcast...maybe one of the most powerful yet.

Dosho
02-08-2012, 07:18 PM
Jundo,

Thank you for this teaching...any other words fail me right now...my thoughts are with you all.

Gassho,
Dosho

Al
02-08-2012, 07:32 PM
Know that your students are with you, Jundo.

Omoi Otoshi
02-08-2012, 08:07 PM
Thank you Jundo,
for your honest teaching.

When everything grinds to a halt and it feels as if reality thickens, there is the proving ground of practice. We're with you all the way.

Take care of yourself and your family,
Pontus

Owndrum
02-08-2012, 09:45 PM
Best wishes to you and your family! Glad to hear that things are improving.

_/_
Owndrum

Eika
02-08-2012, 10:03 PM
_/_

Jundo, We are here for you in whatever various ways we can be. . . to rejoice and cry, even as we realize there is only One thing and all is included . . . striving to find the balance between wallowing in our feelings and being a "zen robot" (to quote a teacher I'm fond of). ;)

Much love to you,
Eika

Jinyo
02-08-2012, 10:11 PM
Hope your little one had a peaceful night and that this is the dawning of a better day.

Gassho

Willow

Heisoku
02-08-2012, 10:42 PM
Much metta to Sada and your whole family Jundo _/_ .

KellyRok
02-08-2012, 11:03 PM
Jundo,

Words fail me...please know we are with you and your family. Much love, peace, and rest to all of you.

_/_

Kelly/Jinmei

Kyonin
02-08-2012, 11:48 PM
Jundo,

This is one of the most powerful teachings ever.

All my love and heart go out to little Sada, all children suffering in the universe, your family and you.

We are one. We are here for yo.

fanndrew
02-09-2012, 01:23 AM
Thank you for this teaching, Jundo. Much metta to you and your family.

-Andrew

Jundo
02-09-2012, 02:12 AM
Hi everyone,

Today, Thursday morning, her fever is down and all is looking better. Yeah!

But, we don't become attached, and run after to clutch, good news either (though so tempting). We just take that as "what is" too ... rainy days just rainy, sunny days just sunny, crying days just crying, smiling days just smiling! :)

That will be the subject of our next Xin Xin Ming talk.

Gassho, Jundo

Koshin
02-09-2012, 03:41 AM
That´s ok, we have to accept things-as-they-are....... but anyway, hopefully this day will be a sunny one :wink:

Hoyu
02-09-2012, 03:42 AM
_/_
The most impactful sit-a-long I've seen!

Gassho,
Hoyu

Shokai
02-09-2012, 11:11 AM
Thank you Jundo for this teaching. One of the basic principles of my training is, "It's OK to cry!"
I am awed and humbled by your ability to put energy into a Dharma Talk such as this during the direst of times a parent can bear.
Bless You, Mina-san, Sa-chan and Le-kun;
from my family to yours

Myozan Kodo
02-09-2012, 12:12 PM
I had tears reading your words while I nodded in agreement. It is amazing to have these two perspectives at the same time: acceptance and heart-felt concern. Maybe it's just holding the "two truths" in the heart simultaneously.

My sincere best wishes to you all over there.
Gassho
Myozan

pinoybuddhist
02-09-2012, 01:26 PM
_/|_

Ray
02-10-2012, 10:12 PM
Jundo

I am sitting with you, your daughter and your family and the rest of the sanga will be as well.

Metta to you, your family including the treeleaf family.

Gassho

Ray

Shogen
02-11-2012, 03:28 AM
Jundo,
In this difficult time for you and your family the Buddhist teachings flow through you to us. Deep appreciation and much Metta. Gassho Shogen

Jundo
02-11-2012, 04:41 AM
Hi Guys,

She is coming home today, so wonderful how fast kids heal. They said she can just stay with oral medication for the next week, so no need for the hospital.

Yeah! I have a little sit-a-long about "Coming Home" :

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4649&p=69265#p69265 (http://http://www.treeleaf.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4649&p=69265#p69265)

Gassho, J

Geika
02-11-2012, 04:57 AM
Jundo,

I was so sorry to hear about your daughter's illness earlier this week. I am glad that things are on the uptake and that she will soon be comfortable in her own home.

...Rest and unrest derive from illusion;
with enlightenment there is no liking and disliking.
All dualities come from ignorant inference.
They are like dreams of flowers in the air:
foolish to try to grasp them.
Gain and loss, right and wrong:
such thoughts must finally be abolished at once...

It is good for me to read this today. I have been sitting as often as I can, but with great and needless strain and confusion. I have been rising prematurely from zazen. Maybe sitting for little sick children who don't care about how perfect my technique is will keep me on the cushion. Maybe it will be the image of watchful parents up all night that will help.

...... That there is never any loss possible, no place distant for our loved one to go, something wondrous that transcends sickness and health, birth and death ... no broken pieces ever in need of repair from the start. The dualities arise from ignorance, and all is a dream-flower in the sky. Dropped away, and all is Whole in an Instant.

Beautiful. May my understanding of the words become mute and may the understanding itself remain.

I am so glad to be part of this Sangha.

Moi aussi.

Jundo
02-11-2012, 06:52 AM
http://centersandsquares.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/welcome-home.jpgOur little daughter has come home from the hospital today, after we might have lost her just a week ago. HURRAH! HORRAY!! Mom and Dad are AS HAPPY AS HAPPY CAN BE!

Yet, just as a few days ago when things were dark and we were so sad, we still do not push any of life away, including happiness ...

... And neither do we run toward the days like this, clutching at happiness. Such is True Happiness, Equanimity and Contentment!

Equanimity does not mean that one should be emotionless! One can have one's DHARMA CAKE AND EAT IT TOO! Last time I wrote ...

Life is sometimes sickness and sometimes health. I know that human beings prefer only the healthy days ... but Buddhas have no such preferences.

However, that does not mean a Buddha can't enjoy a good celebration and the happy times too! :) One can be glad and joyous AND STILL BE wonderously, simultaneously not desirous at all, open to whatever life next brings! Strange, this Buddhist Wisdom, isn't it?

If the eye never sleeps,
all dreams will naturally cease.
If the mind makes no discriminations,
the ten thousand things are as they are, of single essence.
To understand the mystery of this One-essence
is to be release from all entanglements.
When all things are seen equally
the timeless Self-essence is reached.
No comparisons or analogies are possible
in this causeless, relationless state.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xdpal9gR1K4

pinoybuddhist
02-11-2012, 07:52 AM
Glad to hear the happy news! :)

_/|_
Raf

Jinyo
02-11-2012, 11:27 AM
Joyous! :D

Hope you and your family had a lovely party.

Gassho

Willow

RichardH
02-11-2012, 01:09 PM
Happy to see you happy, and to know your little girl is coming home.

This talk really gets to the heart of the struggle I've had with the meaning of Equanimity.

Thank you.

Gassho, Kojip.

Kyonin
02-11-2012, 01:14 PM

And I hope that party was happy and fun.

I am so glad things are getting better and that the baby is back home. :D

Marek
02-11-2012, 02:35 PM
Great news and great talk!

_/_

Koshin
02-11-2012, 03:39 PM
Thank you Jundo, great news and great teaching

Equanimity does not mean that one should be emotionless! One can have one's DHARMA CAKE AND EAT IT TOO!

I have this chocolate cake, which I love .... every little slice is a delight .... I love eating it ... but I can not eat it complete in one bite (probably It would sicken me) ... I also know that although I eat slowly, my cake will not last forever .... I know I cannot make it just appear by magic just by desiring it, as cooking takes time and I may not have the ingredients or the time to cook one .... I know it tastes delicious, but remembering its flavor is not the same as the actually taste of it.... then, better, take my slice, enjoy it with all my heart, let the little sadness of seeing an empty plate arrive, and wait until tomorrow .... more cake tomorrow ... or not :)

Dosho
02-11-2012, 05:19 PM
Jundo,

So happy that Sada is coming home...and thank you for this teaching.

Gassho,
Dosho

Dokan
02-11-2012, 05:26 PM
Wonderful news indeed! As a father of three girls, thank you for this teaching.

Gassho,

Dokan

PS - Up on podcast

Owndrum
02-11-2012, 09:57 PM
Happy with ALL my heart for the return of Sada to her home!! Happy with all my heart that we have the opportunity to listen to your wise
teachings. Remembering however that even the teachings are to be "let go" of in the end, just as happy and sad days are too.

Best wishes to you and everyone at Treeleaf,
Gary.

Jundo
02-12-2012, 01:45 AM

_/|_
Raf

Hi Rafael,

And any word on your son, who I know is very sick too?

Sitting for your son, and all the sick children today.

Gassho, Jundo

pinoybuddhist
02-12-2012, 01:54 AM

_/|_
Raf

Hi Rafael,

And any word on your son, who I know is very sick too?

Sitting for your son, and all the sick children today.

Gassho, Jundo

Hi Jundo!

Thanks for asking and sitting. He's doing much better although he's still on antibiotics. The test for dengue came out negative, which was a great relief for me and my wife. They're both recovering nicely.

fanndrew
02-12-2012, 12:15 PM
Congratulations, Jundo!

I'm so very happy for you and your family!

Gassho,

Andrew

P.S.- I love the "have your dharma cake and eat it too" analogy. :)

Hoyu
02-12-2012, 02:34 PM
Hooorah! Glad to hear this wonderful news from you and Rafael! Party on guys :D

On equanimity......
I've had a difficult time reconciling the meaning of equanimity, as used in your teachings, with my way of understanding it. I now realize my view was formed by what I've learned from its usage in the Hinayana perspective. With this former understanding of mine your teachings didn't click. This really clears that confusion for me. Thank you!!

Gassho,
Hoyu

Heisoku
02-12-2012, 02:58 PM
Thank you for sharing your happiness... and this really amazing teaching! Wonderful news.

gtsalazar
02-12-2012, 03:04 PM
So glad your little girl is feeling better and home again :)

Nindo
02-12-2012, 06:00 PM
Thank you.
Sad .. happy .. it's a dance.

Spent Saturday night holding and massaging my man through a panic attack. I could have been so resentful, about not going out, about having cooked a meal that ended up in a bucket... but it was just as it was, just OK, just going through this together. I often want to run and hide when he is suffering, but this time I managed to just be present, no thoughts, no agenda, tending to what was needed. I think it made a difference for both of us. The morning after I started thinking and wishing for a "normal" life (whatever that is) while at the same time remaining at some distance to my thoughts, knowing that if I go down that path it'll change nothing and just make me unhappy. He is feeling slightly better this morning. He had breakfast and went out to get groceries. He liked the jacket I bought him that he didn't even look at yesterday. It's just as it is. We've been dancing for 20 years together this month. We'll go on dancing.

_()_

Shokai
02-13-2012, 11:42 AM
Do ittashimashite _/_ :)

Kaishin
02-14-2012, 06:44 PM
_/_ _/_ _/_

Kaishin
02-14-2012, 07:06 PM
Take good care

_/_

keniz138
02-15-2012, 03:14 AM
:D :D

Dosho
02-15-2012, 04:51 PM
Jundo and Sada,

Thank you for your teachings. Much wisdom and a needed smile. :)

She's so cute!

Gassho,
Dosho

Risho
02-17-2012, 04:01 PM
Gassho,

Risho

Jundo
03-03-2012, 02:09 PM
http://www.freedharma.com/image/creator/sengcan,%20jianzhi.png We close this series on Master Seng-ts'an's XIN XIN MING ... FAITH IN MIND ... a simple, but subtle recipe ...

Consider movement stationary and the stationary in motion,
both movement and rest disappear.
When such dualities cease to exist
Oneness itself cannot exist.
To this ultimate finality
no law or description applies.

For the unified mind in accord with the Way
all self-centered straining ceases.
Doubts and irresolution's vanish
and life in true faith is possible.
With a single stroke we are freed from bondage;
nothing clings to us and we hold to nothing.
All is empty, clear, self-illuminating,
with no exertion of the mind's power.
Here thought, feeling, knowledge, and imagination
are of no value.
In this world of Suchness
there is neither self nor other-than-self

To come directly into harmony with this reality
just simply say when doubt arises, 'Not two.'
In this 'no two' nothing is separate,
nothing excluded.
No matter when or where,
enlightenment means entering this truth.
And this truth is beyond extension or diminution in time or space;
in it a single thought is ten thousand years.

Emptiness here, Emptiness there,
but the infinite universe stands always before your eyes.
Infinitely large and infinitely small;
no difference, for definitions have vanished
and no boundaries are seen.
So too with Being
and non-Being.
Don't waste time in doubts and arguments
that have nothing to do with this.

One thing, all things:
move among and intermingle, without distinction.
To live in this realization
is to be without anxiety about non-perfection.
To live in this faith is the road to non-duality,
Because the non-dual is one with the trusting mind.

Words! The Way is beyond language,
for in it there is
.......................... no yesterday
.......................... no tomorrow
.......................... no today.

... taking us back to the start ...

The Great Way is not difficult
for those who have no preferences.
When love and hate are both absent
everything becomes clear and undisguised.

Today's talk is a little longer than usual, as it was part of our monthly Zazenkai at Treeleaf. Please note that there is no video in one portion due to "technical non-problems".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjgcEsnMz0M

Jundo
03-03-2012, 02:24 PM
As we had some video "non-difficulties" today, this is a good place to mention and publicly thank the benefactor (who requests to be anonymous) who has donated a state-of-the-art 'hi-def' web cam and laptop for use in our Zazenkai netcasts! Those should arrive here and be up and running in the coming weeks.

We bent the rules on donations to Treeleaf because of this very necessary offer of equipment so central to this place (as today shows) and some special circumstances I cannot mention. Hopefully, I will have the skills to run it all correctly when it comes.

Nine Bows.

Jundo

Omoi Otoshi
03-03-2012, 04:01 PM
Thank you Jundo,
That was a wonderful talk!

Right now in my life there are so many things people want me to do, so many impossible expectations, so many things to keep track of and so many responsabilities. It felt as if I needed that reminder. Thanks again.

/Pontus

ghop
03-03-2012, 05:12 PM
Much thanks.

gassho
Greg

Taigu
03-03-2012, 10:59 PM
That's a wonderful news.

Thank you.

gassho

T.

pinoybuddhist
03-03-2012, 11:47 PM
Won't be sitting with the recorded zazenkai until Tuesday but I sat with this talk this morning. Thanks for this. "Go with the flowing, be the flowing..." Yes indeed 8)

_/|_
Rafael

Marek
03-04-2012, 12:36 AM
_/_

Jinyo
03-04-2012, 03:42 PM
thanks Jundo - this teaching was timely with so much 'stuff' going round in my mind.

Great news about the donated equipment :)

Gassho

Willow

Rich
03-04-2012, 08:12 PM
Thanks

Dokan
03-04-2012, 11:26 PM
Thank you Jundo & a public thank you to the anonymous donor...deep bows.

Gassho,

Dokan

PS - Posted to podcast!

BrianW
03-05-2012, 02:02 AM
Much thanks to
the benefactor (who requests to be anonymous)

Gassho,
Jisen/BrianW

Ekai
03-06-2012, 03:53 AM
I have really enjoyed these teachings over the past few months and listened to most of them more than once.

Gassho,
Ekai/Jodi

Shogen
03-06-2012, 04:52 PM
Deep appreciation for the gift of your time and efforts.

Gassho Shogen

Kaishin
03-07-2012, 07:47 PM
_/_

Risho
03-09-2012, 09:02 PM
Gassho... These were excellent and enjoyable talks. The Xin Xin Ming seems like it is a poem describing Shikantaza in a macrocosm. Whereas when one sits Shikantaza, they let go of thoughts. In life, we live that Shikantaza and let go of our grasping, clingyness to add to or remove from our experience.

Thank you so much for these,

Risho

Ray
03-10-2012, 06:33 PM
Thanks v much

Gassho

Jundo
03-31-2012, 04:31 PM
http://www.treeleaf.org/forum/download/file.php?id=691 It is the first day of April here in Japan, the start of Spring, and that is a time to think of endings and beginnings ...

SO, I AM VERY SAD TO ANNOUNCE THE END OF TREELEAF SANGHA as it has been until now ...

... and the BIRTH OF A NEW AND IMPROVED TREELEAF ...

We are just trying to make BUDDHISM SEXIER!

We asked for your suggestions, and we listened ... to all of them! Even the really really dumb ones!

In fact, this may be THE END OF BUDDHISM AND ZEN!

There is no Zazen sitting to accompany today's talk ... as we have done away with the sitting too. To be honest, I never really got much out of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I__xc3h9k1Q&list=UUg6u7WavLmwMKe4vFfXStzQ&index=1&feature=plcp

ghop
03-31-2012, 04:51 PM
This talk deserves an Oscar :!:

The Saturday Night Live version of Treeleaf :lol: :lol:

My wife says, if you want to make Treeleaf more appealing, make Sada the sensei. Well, really she just said, "Awwww," which I took to mean, "If you really want to make Treeleaf more appealing show more of the baby."

Thanks for adding some fun to my morning.

Gassho
Greg

Myozan Kodo
03-31-2012, 05:06 PM
Great stuff. A fantastic talk. Just one problem. Since I have copyrighted and now own the name "Treeleaf" you gotta pay me ten dollars every time you (or anyone else) uses it. I'm sick of this sitting still baloney. Time to make some money.
:evil:
Gassho
Midas Myozan
:wink:

Marek
03-31-2012, 05:07 PM
,,How to become a Zen Buddhist Celebrity in 7 days"

:D :lol: :lol: :D

Thank you Jundo, you definitely made my day (first day of spring). :D

Myoshin
03-31-2012, 05:13 PM
Jundo

You made ma scared when I wrote the end of Trééleaf Sangha lol

Gassho to you and your family and Taigu too

Yang Hsin

Nenka
03-31-2012, 05:35 PM
You need some more 06:59.

:twisted: :lol: :twisted:

Gassho

Jen

Gary
03-31-2012, 06:19 PM
So funny Jundo, finally my 7 year old son is interested in Buddhism, must have been the Lego. :D
Gassho
Gary

Jiken
03-31-2012, 06:48 PM
Wow that shoji screen really does make a difference. I totally took you seriously this time. hahaha!

Was a lot fun,

Daido

KellyRok
03-31-2012, 07:06 PM
This was an "epic" performance! I think your down with the young peeps now. :lol:

Loved your message...You know, I'm kind of partial to Treeleaf the way it is....and who doesn't love seeing cute babies. :wink:

bows,
Kelly/Jinmei

Jinyo
03-31-2012, 07:46 PM
Excellent! :lol: :lol:

Willow

Shinko
03-31-2012, 08:58 PM
Priceless!!

Hoyu
03-31-2012, 09:22 PM
What an epic uber wicked talk!

Nenka wrote:
You need some more 06:59.
:lol:

Owndrum
03-31-2012, 09:31 PM
Jundo,
Please put me down for a share in "The Buddha Palace" Las Vegas.
What are your expected returns on the investment?
Would it be at least a free pass to Nirvana?

Gassho
Owndrum
LOL

pinoybuddhist
03-31-2012, 09:34 PM
This talk was an epic win! Please keep the hair and the tat! :lol: I'm gonna be chillaxing with the recorded zazenkai in about half an hour. _/|_

pinoybuddhist
03-31-2012, 09:37 PM
About the Buddha Palace: Don't forget to put in the Zen Salon and Spa, where you can get Annutara Samyak Sambodhi while getting a full-body shiatsu and swedish massage or having your nails done! :mrgreen:

Risho
03-31-2012, 09:40 PM
Awesome!!!!! hahahahah

Risho