PDA

View Full Version : SIT-A-LONG with JUNDO: Not-Thinking-Thinking-Non-thinking

Jundo
05-22-2011, 04:58 AM
https://deryacoskun.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/nonthinking.jpg?w=595

Being the open, bright, boundless between the words, thoughts, good and bad things of life.

Being the open, bright boundless that shines through, that enlightens & enlivens the words, thoughts, good and bad things of life.

Once, when the Great Master Hongdao of Yueshan was sitting in Zazen, a monk asked him, "What are you thinking of (shiryō), sitting there so tall and straight? The master answered, "I'm thinking of not thinking (fu shiryō tei)." The monk asked, "How do you think of not thinking?" The Master answered, "Nonthinking (hi shiryō)."

Master Dogen said (Zazengi) ...

Sitting in balance and stillness like a mountain, think of "not-thinking." How can the state of not thinking be thought? Be "Non-Thinking."

This is the essence of zazen. Zazen is not meditation. It is the Dharma Gate of great ease and joy. It is stainless, undivided practice-realization.

PS -Thank you to the many folks who have written to ask how we are doing with the FUKUSHIMA NUCLEAR REACTORS, just 100 miles from here as the crow flies. Well, we are fine, life is surprisingly normal. Of course, waking up each morning to headlines like these can be rather STARTLING! [scared]

http://enenews.com/nuclear-experts-1000000-cancers-could-result-fukushima-already-hundreds-times-thyroid-cancers-tip-iceberg-worst-enormous-spikes-cancer-devastating-health-effects-video

But fear and worry is a state of mind. I sometimes compare fear in this case, of cancer and radiation and the like, to the fear of flying. Each year, many people are killed and injured in airplane accidents, yet that does not stop most of us from boarding planes. We will likely arrive safely, but even if not ... it is all the trip, man!

Today’s Sit-A-Long video follows at this link. Remember: recording ends soon after the beginning bells; a sitting time of 15 to 35 minutes is recommended.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4olKZofMnwA

Dokan
05-22-2011, 12:17 PM
Thank you Jundo.

Gassho,

Shawn

Shokai
05-23-2011, 10:08 AM
_||_

ghop
05-23-2011, 01:09 PM
Thanks Jundo.

This talk is like zazen itself. Very centering. Thanks for the inspiration.

gassho
Greg

Hoyu
05-23-2011, 10:05 PM
Thank you Jundo Sensei.
This talk reminds me of a question I was asked this weekend by a guest at our tea demonstration. She asked "What are you thinking of when you fold the cloth?"

Gassho,
John

Hoyu
05-23-2011, 10:09 PM
Oh, and for those who don't know. The cloth she was referring to is called a Fukusa. It is made of silk and used, in a very intricate way, to ritually purify the tea ware.

Gassho,
John

Ekai
05-24-2011, 02:35 AM
Thank you for this teaching. The wisdom of allowing with things just as they are and simply "being" with whatever arises, I feel gives more peace, clarity and spaciousness within oneself and others.

thanks,
Jodi

Rimon
05-24-2011, 06:26 AM
A very inspirational talk to help us being in the world. Thank you Jundo

Gassho

Rimon

Onshin
05-26-2011, 04:04 PM
Thank you Jundo, very calming, much food for non-thought.

Kaishin
05-27-2011, 03:53 PM
Thank you Jundo Sensei.
This talk reminds me of a question I was asked this weekend by a guest at our tea demonstration. She asked "What are you thinking of when you fold the cloth?"

Gassho,
John

And what was your answer?! :D

BrianW
05-27-2011, 04:51 PM
Jundo,

Wonderful talk! Please be safe we have been watching the news on Typhoon Songda!

Gassho,
Jisen/BrianW

Byokan
10-17-2015, 06:54 PM
When we sit
Between the thoughts and emotions
Between things
We encounter, we taste, we are...
Something:
Open
Boundless
No barriers