PDA

View Full Version : GREETINGS BY NEW FOLKS (DECEMBER)

Jundo
09-01-2008, 08:58 PM
Hello, New People to the Treeleaf Sangha,

Please post a little introduction here. Welcome and make yourself at home!

Gassho, Jundo

mileedyer
09-08-2008, 08:29 AM
thank you Jundo for your e-mail and for setting up my registration :D
for the rest of the community, my name is melanie and i live in saskatoon
saskatchewan canada.i've been sitting-in every day since jan and doing
so has become very helpful and grounding for my practice.i've been practicing
mostly zen for about 2 years now and so wish i had found the dharma sooner ,
but then learning to be in the present and realising that now is all that really is
is the best :wink: :) don't know that i'll be online much but i'll be with you all
everyday and it's great knowing you're all out there practicing along side me :D

Shohei
09-08-2008, 10:55 AM
Howdy and welcome Melanie!

Gassho, Dirk

lora
09-08-2008, 02:27 PM
Hi, Melanie and welcome!

Many blessings,
Lora

KellyRok
09-09-2008, 03:33 PM
Hello Melanie,

Welcome to Treeleaf...it is great to have you here. :D

Kelly Rok

Dosho
09-09-2008, 05:50 PM
Welcome Melanie! :)

shogyo
09-09-2008, 06:51 PM
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for letting me join your community. I've practised Soto Zen for about 10 years. i live in North East Lincolnshire in England and I'd like to strengthen my practice.

Gassho
Brian

chicanobudista
09-09-2008, 07:12 PM
Bienvenido, Brian. :D

Shohei
09-10-2008, 10:47 AM
Hi Brian, welcome!

Gassho, Dirk

Dosho
09-10-2008, 06:14 PM
Welcome to Treeleaf Brian! :)

KellyRok
09-11-2008, 11:47 AM
Welcome to Treeleaf Brian!

Gassho,
KellyRok

Yugen
09-12-2008, 04:44 AM
Welcome to Treeleaf Melanie and Brian!

Gassho,
Alex

Jinho
09-14-2008, 01:09 AM
Welcome Melanie & Brian!

Hope to see you post sometimes on the board.

gassho,
rowan
who is trying to wake up......

imdreaming
09-15-2008, 05:36 PM
Hello, I'm new. My name is Eileen.

I've been interested in Zen since 1975 or so and have been practicing seriously for just over a year.I sit every weekday morning with xxx. I participated my first 7-day sesshin in June.

That's it for now.

Jinho
09-15-2008, 06:02 PM
Hi Eileen,

Welcome to Treeleaf! I trust Genpo is well, (I met him at ZCLA about 30 years ago).

gassho,
rowan
who hasn't made it to Big Mind, only Big Head :mrgreen:

don321
09-22-2008, 11:55 AM
Hello Everyone!

thanks for letting me join your Forum, I'm looking forward to learning more about Soto Zen,

best wishes,

Don

Shohei
09-22-2008, 12:28 PM
Hello Eileen and Don, and Welcome.
Gassho, Dirk

Sunshine
09-22-2008, 01:58 PM
Hello, everyone. This is Sunshine aka Lara. I live in Hobbs, New Mexico. I'm so glad I found you all, becuase I've been looking for an online community for quite some time. I have been doing buddhist meditation for over two years (vipassana), but have really taken an interest in Zen recently. :P

Looking forward to getting to know you all,

Gassho

Lara

Shohei
09-22-2008, 02:48 PM
Hi & Welcome Lara!

/me breaks out in to Sunshine by Nazareth (http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=sV6zhh9ZgxY)....:D

Gassho, Dirk

KellyRok
09-22-2008, 06:44 PM
Hello all,

Welcome to Treeleaf Eileen, Don, and Sunshine (Lara)! It is great to have you all here.

Gassho,
Kelly Rok

Kent
09-22-2008, 09:58 PM
Hi Melanie, Brian, Eileen,!! Don,and Lara welcome to Treeleaf ! Kent

Bill
09-23-2008, 10:22 PM
Hello and Hey everyone. I am new to the community. My beloved bride Lara and I are excited to a part of you. I look forward to new learning.

Eika
09-25-2008, 11:34 PM
Welcome Bill, Lara, Eileen, Don, Melanie, and Brian.
Glad you found the place,

Bill

will
09-27-2008, 09:40 AM
I haven't welcomed anyone in a while:

Belated welcome to Treeleaf guys.

Gassho

Will

roky
09-27-2008, 01:41 PM
welcome, melanie, eileen, don, lara, and bill

lara and bill, we will soon be passing near your way, on our way to our winter home of why, az

gassho, bob

lora
09-29-2008, 03:56 PM
Hello, Everyone,

Welcome to Treeleaf.

Many blessings,
Lora

chessie
10-01-2008, 01:09 AM
Welcome to all newcomers! ann

Damian
10-01-2008, 12:26 PM
Yes, Welcome to Treeleaf :)

Gassho,
Damian

Nagaruda
10-06-2008, 03:59 AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm Zachariah. I live in Michigan in the USA. I'm 35, husband of one and father of two and striving Buddhist. It's taken me a long bit of time to take up a label, having been born, raised and soured in Catholicism. It's always tough to abandon a religion where loss of faith / doubts will earn you a trip to an eternal lake of fire, so I one upped into a world view of several levels of hell (but buddhas in each one :) LOL. I've really enjoyed moving from a sacred / philosophical perspective of guilt and stricture to one of query and conditioned reality. To me Treeleaf is like touching earth, laughing at a flower held up ...

I've been pretty interested in all the flavors of Shakyamuni's idea from the hinyana (too many precepts), to mahayana (too many beings to liberate), to vajrayana (too out there) [JUST KIDDING {SMILIES_PATH}/icon_smile.gif

Sho Nin
10-06-2008, 06:19 AM
Hi all,

I've been practicing Soto Zen for 6 or 7 years now and I took Jukai just under a year and a half ago. I suppose at the moment I'm just looking for a nice place to hang out online and talk to others on the path.

Greetings all

Justin

Shohei
10-06-2008, 12:13 PM
Howdy and Welcome!

Gassho, Dirk

Yugen
10-06-2008, 09:05 PM
Justin,
Welcome to Treeleaf!

Gassho,
Alex

BrianP
10-07-2008, 07:11 PM
Hi All.
I`ve been hanging around in the background since July so I thought it was about time I came out of hiding and introduced myself :oops: . I am 68 and moved from London to Cardiff 23 years ago. I have been married to my wife Barbarafor 46 years(last Monday), we have three surviving daughters (my eldest daughter died suddenly five years ago) and six grandchildren. I have been practicing Buddhist meditation for over 20 years. I briefly explored a couple of different traditions at first but soon came across Soto Zen. It was however about 3 years before I called myself a Buddhist. I took lay ordination with a master in the Order of Buddhist Contemplatives.
Nine years ago I was asked to join Angulimala the Buddhist prison chaplaincy organisation. I became the Buddhist Chaplain to three prisons but for the last two years I have only served in one. I am also Chairperson Elect of The Buddhist Council of Wales.

As most of you are from the US I just thought I would mention something. I have never been to the US myself (although I have relatives there), but my great grandfather came from SD. He was a Sioux who came to London with the Buffalo Bill Wild West Show. I think my grandmother was born there but not sure. Just thought I would mention it - I`ve been telling everyone I meet since I found out seven years ago!
I think Treeleaf is great. It is such a good place for those of us who can`t get to a group regularly. I look forward to training with you all.

Gassho
Brian

Dosho
10-07-2008, 09:21 PM
Welcome to Treeleaf Brian!

My ancestors (at least the ones who provided my surname) came from just outside Cardiff, so it's nice to encounter someone from there even if it is a transplant. :)

Gassho,
Scott

SwordSoul
10-08-2008, 02:44 AM
Howdy ever'body!

Been swinging by the website every once in awhile, and I want to participate in a Zen sangha, so here I am!

I've been sitting off and on for over 5 years, and as far as 'sects' are concerned I've settled on Zen for quite some time. I'm looking forward to practicing/discussing the practice with everyone!

Gassho and whatnot,
Matt

Shohei
10-08-2008, 10:42 AM
Hi and welcome Brian and Matt!

Gassho, Dirk

KellyRok
10-08-2008, 05:59 PM
Hello to all ...

...and welcome to Zachariah, Justin, Brian and Matt! Thank you for sharing your stories with us and I look forward to talking with you all here at Treeleaf :D .

Gassho,
Kelly Rok

jamieguinn
10-08-2008, 06:01 PM
Hi, my name is Jamie G., and I live in Oklahoma. I've been married to my high school sweetheart for six years. We have a wonderful baby girl is just over a year old. My wife is a teacher and I am a police detective for our small town of 20,000.

I've only recently began to study Buddhism in the past few months. Since I live in the Bible Belt, there aren't many opportunities to study with a Zen teacher locally. I have had to do most of my studies from the internet, so you can imagine the kinds of flakes, fruits, and nuts I have come across to find something authentic. By authentic I mean that I am not looking for something to blindly believe in. I came to Buddhism because two years ago I deconverted from Christianity because I got tired of having to sacrifice logic and reason to justify my faith. Christianity in any form doesn't seem to line up with reality very well. I have a passion for truth and to know the world as it truely is. I place a lot of stock in science and reason, and I love philosophy and physics. I went from abandoning Christianity to reading the latest books by New Atheists like Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, and Christopher Hitchens. One website on philosophy and atheism brought up enlightenment and introduced me to several eastern philosophical concepts that I had never even considered. I began to research the words of the Buddha and came across the About Buddhism website and the Kalam Sutra. The four Noble Truths just make sense to me, and the eight-fold path as well. I also have no problem with Karma as cause and effect and the idea of Rebirth (I've heard our bodies atomic collection changes every eleven years in that I don't have the same atoms in me as I did then, and they will go on to be a part of other things in the universe). I also have to admit that, and maybe irrationally, I dream of the monastic life in a zen monastary in the hills of Japan. I appreciate the less dogmatic traditions of Theravada and Zen, and admit I could never be a Pure Land-er. Anyways, I am looking for a teacher and found this site through the Progressive Buddhism blog (I comment there as "cpd314").

Oh... and I currently sit zazen about three times a week for about 15 minutes. I haven't yet been able to adjust my schedule for daily sitting.

chicanobudista
10-08-2008, 07:15 PM
Bienvenido Jamie! :)

Jundo
10-09-2008, 03:56 AM
I dream of the monastic life in a zen monastary in the hills of Japan. .

Hi Jamie,

Welcome again.

Be at home and at peace with your life in Chikasha Oklahoma, married to your high school sweetheart and a police detective, and the monastery in the quiet hills is where you are ... all the monastery walls tumbling down.

Go to Japan and wish you were somewhere else, that life was something else, that the hot days were colder and the cold days hotter ... and the monastery walls are a prison.

So, please practice that way.

As to questions of being an atheist and such, I sometimes write the below. It is just my personal understanding, and you need to find your own.

Gassho, Jundo

I consider myself, personally, an "agnostic" on all such issues. That does mean I "don't believe" or that I "do believe". It simply means that my practice is free from the need. I am left in awe at the mystery which is life and this wondrous universe ... so I just get on with that life in this universe amid that feeling of awe and wonder (for that reason, I sometimes describe myself as an "agnosti-mystic"). :D As I often say ...

Is there a "Universal Consciousness/Divine Spirit/God/Jesus/Cosmic Buddha"? If so, live human life, fetch wood and carry water.

Is there not some "Universal Consciousness/God/Jesus/Cosmic Buddha"? If not, live human life, fetch wood and carry water.

I suppose that if the "creator" went to all the trouble of creating our lives we can honor Her in no better way ... than by just living life! If She had wanted to fill us in better on what is "going on", she would not keep it so hidden and open for debate.

Don't get me wrong, I have various "suspicions" about what makes the universe tick, but I am content to keep them as "suspicions" and to not have all the details ... I am even content to be wrong in my "suspicions". I think something wonderful is afoot, and I believe that we did not just happen to pop up alive in the middle of time and space by naked happenstance alone. I actually taste that what is "going on" is far far beyond any human words that we small creatures try to impose upon reality such as "Divine" "Spirit" "Eternal" "Finite" "God" "Devil" "Brahma" "Being" "Not Being" "Just" "Good" and all the other anthropomorphic descriptions our small human minds cook up. How dare we impose our ignorance! We may have as much chance of truly understanding the mechanism of these things as an ant to grasp the programming of a super-computer!

Thus, our Zen Practice advices us to drop all words like "Divine" "Mundane" "Eternal" "Finite" and all the rest ... and just TRUST, just "GO WITH THE FLOW", just "ALLOW", just "LIVE" ... I do not know if God is "JUST" (and I do not see a lot in this often tragic world that indicates "Justice" in human terms ... I was just reading about all the small children killed in the Spanish airliner today), but I can be in harmony with a reality that is JUST what it is, and a vision of reality beyond small human ideas of "life" and "death". That much I can do.

Shui_Di
10-09-2008, 01:27 PM
Hi...

For all new Folks.. Welcome to Treeleaf....

Gassho, Shui di :D

socrates
10-13-2008, 02:08 PM
Thanks Jundo! I looked everywhere to post my intro on this site and could not find it. When i stopped looking it appeared. Aaah! If i'm in the wrong place, i welcome correction. My name is socrates and live in eastern NC. As for the name i am not wise as the philosopher, i am Greek, having all my grandparents immigrating from Greece to the USA in the early 1900's. I read a book 10-15 years ago that introduced me to "living in the moment" which led me to investigating what eventually is the dharma. I practiced ( at least what i thought was practice ) for a couple years, learned there was wrong effort involved and stopped practicing, had a life changing experience, realized my mind controlled my life, returned 2 1/2 years ago and have practiced since. Have not had the opportunity to attend a zendo so have learned through extensive reading of numerous Buddhist, Zen Buddhist teachers. I am happy to have found this Zendo!

Yugen
10-14-2008, 02:14 AM
Socrates,
Welcome to Treeleaf from another Greek! This is a great community, jump right in - OPA!

Gassho,
Alex

socrates
10-14-2008, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the welcome Alex. I look forward to learning. I'm very good at "I dont know mind" or beginner's mind. Really keeps life simple. Look forward to your posts and the entire communitys' posts. :wink:

egbrooks
10-17-2008, 02:34 AM
Hi All!,
I originally joined this group last June, however, with the countless things that life brings to one's plate, I haven't logged on in quite a while. So I wanted to reintroduce myself to the Sangha.

I was first introduced to Zen through martial arts practice and since then I've studied many different forms of Buddhism. I've come back to Soto Zen because it feels a lot like home.

I sat briefly with a Soto group in Pittsburgh before moving to Northern VA. Now I sit on my own and I'm looking forward to recommitting to practice with all of you.

It's very inspiring to read the posts on this forum and get a sense of the energy here in this wonderful community.

Gassho,
Eric

chessie
10-17-2008, 11:31 AM
A belated but still sincere welcome to the folks I missed in September, and all the new folks in October. Eric--I grew up in NoVA, and still commute in for work.

Hoping the autumn leaves bring color to all of your lives! Gassho, Ann

egbrooks
10-17-2008, 02:37 PM
The leaves here are certainly beautiful right now. If I get the opportunity, I'm going to take the family up to Skyline Drive. You can certainly get a panoramic view of the turning foliage from up there!

May all be well,
Eric

anodyne777
10-21-2008, 03:39 PM
Hello to everyone!

I came in here a couple of weeks ago, having a rough go of some things, complained a lot, and wanted advice :wink:
I skipped an introduction for introduction's sake then, but now I'd like to take the opportunity: My name is Owen, and I'm from St. Louis, Missouri. I've lived here most of my life, I'm fond of making music, fix computers for a living, 27 years old and married with no kids. I came to Buddhism approx. 7-ish years ago, after reading the Dalai Lama's "the Art of Happiness", and I'm forever grateful that through the book's non-religious approach, it drew me in on a very fundamental level, opened me up to some ideas that I think I might have once just dismissed as "more religious nonsense". From there I've read a number of books, listened to a lot of dharma talks, and had some sporadic involvement with some local sanghas, but my biggest challenge has been sitting... regularly. Once the teacher at a local zendo said to me (after I told him about all the books I'd read), something like "you keep studying baking recipes, but when will you actually bake the cake?"

So I finally after a lot more time had passed, I did it, started sitting every day, and did this for about six months, but for some reason, just quit last spring. Having a lot of access to computers everywhere I go and being inclined to use them, a place like this seemed natural as a means to get back into a more regular practice after sort of "letting go" of it earlier - and I think that's what I was trying to do to some extent, let go of it, I guess some quiet part of me though I had gone far enough and I was ready to just live in the world and be enlightened :lol: I'm happy to be here and I hope I haven't frightened, annoyed, or especially discouraged anyone with my earlier complaining, just know that's what I do sometimes and it's an irrational tendency I struggle with.

Best regards / gassho,
Owen

BrianW
10-21-2008, 09:48 PM
Hello all,

I love Treeleaf! I have been watching Jundo’s clips ever since I heard ran across a Buddhist Geeks episode, which Jundo was a guest. (This was about two weeks ago.)

No experience with Zazen...I have experimented with meditation on my own, but no formal instruction. To make a long story short I did join a Chinese martial arts school that offered meditation, but by the time I got around to taking the classes the instructor had changed and meditation was not offered. I also do a bit of Tai Chi, but have really wanted to do some form of meditation for many years.

I have found Treeleaf to be a wonderful resource and have been sitting daily ever since I found the site. I find the concept of 'Just Sitting' Shikantaza to be very pure and beautiful. I hope to make it an integral part of my life.

In terms of my avatar…. We have a cottage on a small island in on a lake and it is my favorite place to be….even in the winter. The big stick in my hand is because I am walking on the lake when it is frozen and testing the ice so that I don’t fall through! (Perhaps I will try and find a better image, but I am the one in the family who takes all the pictures…and thus I am not in many.)

BrianW

Borsuk
10-22-2008, 09:00 AM
Hello Treeleaf Sangha,

It's a pleasure to join you all here. I only discovered the website relatively recently but I've been enjoying it very much and think that a community like this is a very positive thing indeed :D

About me: I'm 24 years old and I'm from Stafford in central England. I've been sitting for a little over a year now, mainly counting and following the breath, but I've recently been giving Shikantaza a go. A month ago I moved to Japan to work as an English teacher, deepen my Zazen practice, and 'see the world'. Work doesn't allow me as much time as I might like to meet Zen teachers and participate in Sesshins and the like, but I enjoy teaching and appreciate the opportunity to spend time with Japanese people of all ages.

Though words are limited, I'm looking forward to some fruitful discussions with you :wink:

Gassho,
David G.

Shohei
10-22-2008, 01:57 PM
Howdy and welcome to those that i missed!
Gassho, Dirk

Robin
10-22-2008, 08:55 PM
Hello everyone,

my name is Robin and I live in Germany. I'm married and father of three children. After reading
some books about Zen, I began daily sitting since two years. As an atheist, I thought about
my christian roots for many years to close this felt gap between the modern scientific worldview
and the inner feeling of a human beeing confronted with this astonishing world, finally
recognizing, that it's impossible to me to believe in this god, and that this maybe is even
a good thing.
Now I just sit with it, try to be open, to learn and it feels right.

Dosho
10-22-2008, 09:04 PM
Welcome to Treeleaf Brian, David, and Robin! :)

Seona
10-26-2008, 08:24 PM
Hello ... :)

I was directed here by a kind soul who happened to read my sad tale of having no Zen community to call my own. Needless to say, I hopped over immediately to check things out. Apparently, the Universe heard me when I was thinking ... Well, why can't there be such a thing as an online zendo?

Who says wishes don't come true?! :D

Seona

Shindo
10-26-2008, 10:21 PM
Welcome guys - hope you get as much from being here as I do :D .
Kindest regards
Jools

Craig
10-28-2008, 03:01 PM
hey,
my name is craig and i'm new to treeleaf. found out about it through buddhist geeks podcast. i have been studying buddhism for years both formally and informally. i have a degree in religious studies and am fascinated with the gap between myth and historical religious figures, especially buddha and jesus. i grew up christian and actually went to seminary for a year. i see buddhism as the next step on my spiritual pathless path rather than a conversion.
i began seriously considering a meditation practice after reading Wake Up To Your Life by Ken Mcleod. i live in atlanta, so there were a bunch of sanghas around. visited many off and on and finally began attending the local soto zen center regularly last summer. that is, until they brought the 'stick' out. i had a very strong reaction to it and haven't been back since. i also had trouble jumping into sitting for 40 minutes at a time at the center. i wanted to just build up. (it was also hot as hell in the zendo!) so, that's what i am doing at home, building up. i hope that treeleaf can be a connection to a sangha and teacher. in the future, i may go back to the atlanta zen center, but who knows. glad to find this place!
peace
craig

ps-i stay at home with my two boys who are 3 and 10 months. my first career was counseling and now i am getting a degree in accounting , of all things. my wife is a principal.

Dosho
10-28-2008, 07:08 PM
Welcome to Treeleaf Craig!

I'm especially glad to welcome another stay at home dad to the fold since there are a few around here. I have a son who is also 3, so feel free to drop me a line if you like. I always like to compare notes with other stay at home parents and having a common interest in zen is pretty cool. :)

Gassho,
Scott

Shohei
10-29-2008, 06:28 PM
Hi and Welcome to yas Robin, Seona and Craig
Gassho, Dirk

sarushin
11-07-2008, 04:25 AM
Hello All,

My name is Alan and I live in Oklahoma City. I haven't been practicing very long yet I've unknowingly been in touch with Buddhism for a long time. I grew up in an average Bible Belt home then, as a teen began rebelling and joined the punk rock scene (as it was in OKC in the 80's). I then began a slow decline that included homelessness and various forms of self-abuse and general bullheadedness. After leaving my last job five years ago I decided I needed to pull myself together and began with my health. I'm now a triathlete and vegan. For years I had been fighting anything spiritual and was a confirmed atheist; then finally I found Brad Warner's book (yeah, another one) and it was the first thing I read about Buddhism I actually understood. It was like everything fit and felt right (a real a-ha moment). I have only been sitting regularly (every evening for 30 mins) for about two months and I already have questions. Since there is no Sangha here I'm extremely grateful to have found y'all and Jundo's great talks. I'm very anxious to begin this study of myself.

Thanks again,

Alan

Dosho
11-08-2008, 03:54 AM
Welcome to Treeleaf Alan!

jamieguinn
11-08-2008, 06:55 PM
Welcome Alan! I am not too far from you..... I'm down in Chickasha. I know that there are some Buddhists groups in OKC, but it's a little far for me right now to drive regularly. I have checked out the websites of the groups up there, but haven't mustered the courage to visit. I can't decide which one I wanted to visit. Each have their own distinct flavor, but none of them quite what I was looking for.

Have you had a chance to visit any of them? What do you think?

sarushin
11-09-2008, 08:08 PM
Hi Jamie,

No, I haven't visited any places around here but all I've found is Korean and Vietnamese Zen. There is a Chan place out near Midwest City but they're with the Chung Tai monastery in Taiwan. It's a building as large as St. Peter's in Rome with 37 stories and that doesn't sit well with me if you pardon my pun. Other sects, I guess, might help with basics like how to sit and things like this. Right now I'm reading a basics book by a Renzai layteacher so I know there is plenty to learn from others. At least I know I'm not alone here in Oklahoma.

Alan

Shohei
11-12-2008, 12:28 PM
Hiya and welcome Alan!

Gassho, Dirk

KellyRok
11-13-2008, 07:57 PM
Welcome Craig and Alan!

Just wanted to say hello and welcome to Treeleaf. I hope you find us a warm and interesting group that you can learn from and maybe teach us a few things too.

Gassho,
Kelly Rok

cucchilou
11-17-2008, 08:25 AM
Hi! All Members of the Treeleaf Community. I am Cucchilou and live in a tiny town surrounded by woods in Burgundy, France. A long, long time ago, i used to practice zazen on a solid basis, then stopped.
Now, after many moves, ways & adventures and a 3 and 1/2 decade interval, i've been sitting again for a couple of months: everything is getting better and my general feeling is that i've found the way back home: i am very Happy to have discovered your Community! Warm gratefullness! wishing to deepen the practice and grow further...
Having just joined the Community Forum, i'll have there the opportunity to talk further; for the time being, 'breathe in, breathe out...' Gassho, Cucchilou

Shohei
11-17-2008, 12:43 PM
Hello and Welcome Cucchilou.

Gassho, Dirk

jaidee
11-17-2008, 04:50 PM
Hello everyone, My name is Joan and I am new to Treeleaf and only in the last 3 months have been studying Buddhism. I am also practising meditation but find that my mind wanders but I am getting better at just sitting and concentrating on the breath. I feel that I was brought to this site and your community and would appreciate if I could join you all. I live in Yorkshire, United Kingdom and after being made redundant at the age of 55 decided to take early retirement. I have worked full time since the age of 15 and now find my days are filled with finding new and interesting things and also trying to find my true inner self.

cucchilou
11-18-2008, 08:08 AM
Welcome! Joan, Sitting gets better with practice and Treeeleaf is a wonderful place of inspiration and kindness. Gassho, Cucchilou

Bids
11-20-2008, 07:19 AM
Bienvenu! Cucchilou
After many moons we meet again in sangha.
Good to see you here. Welcome!
Welcome to you Joan!

Gassho
Bids

cucchilou
11-21-2008, 10:32 PM
Warm thanks to you Krid and Bids for your welcoming and welcome ! Emptyzen to the wonderful Treeleaf
Being new in this group, don't have yet much to tell about, except that this is a great place to be, right here, now and now anew; it gives more power to the daily practice to do it with you all, right here, to sit now or then together and share glimpses of awakening of our wandering minds.

Gassho, Cucchilou

Juko
11-23-2008, 06:04 AM
Hello, everyone. My name is Martina, and I live near Los Angeles, CA. I have been a Buddhist since 1997, when I bought a book by Lama Surya Das to impress this guy I knew. We ended up just being friends (we still are), and I just continued to read a lot of Dharma, slowly build to a daily practce, and soon realized the benefit it was having in my internal life. As my practice has deepened, I have longed to find a Sangha I could participate in, despite frequent periods of time when it is very difficult for me to attend a physical gathering.

This idea, this place, the esteem with which you hold it (the convesations on the precepts in the Jukai section are wonderful & dizzying!) is very inspiring, and I am happy to have found this beautiful Zendo.

cucchilou
11-23-2008, 12:07 PM
Hello & welcome! Tina to this wonderfull Now Place

Gassho, Cucchilou

jbojanis
11-24-2008, 07:41 PM
Good Day,

I joined Treeleaf today. Very interesting site. Unique and exciting for those of us who are out of reach of a teacher.

I am a retired social worker. Sixty-two years old. I have been studying eastern religions for many years (since my teens, actually) and have been a practicing "sitter" (though not always regular) for nearly as long. I have had some opportunity to attend some zen centers, but have not had regular contact, face-to-face with a teacher. This is in part because I have lived in a rural area in the State of Maine, (most of which could be described as rural), USA. As well as working and being very active in raising my three kids. (I now have a 5 y.o. grandson). I have three adult children, and I'm married to my high school sweetheart for 42+ years. I am a writer and have some interest, and work, in films. I also have a commitment to child welfare work for the past 3 decades or so. My interests, besides those just described, include reading, studying, classical music, and, of course, life and death. I am anxious to join the community and hear what's going on. I fully intend to explore this fascinating site.

Drop a line to my email when you have a chance.

Undo
11-24-2008, 10:17 PM
Hello and welcome to new folk.
Feel free in joining in on any topic or starting a new one

All the best and see you around

Philip

Shohei
11-25-2008, 12:01 PM
Hi and Welcome Emptyzen, Tina and again jbojanis.

Jump right in! The water is wet.

Gassho, Dirk

cucchilou
11-25-2008, 01:34 PM
Hi! Jbojanis,

Welcome to this community: this is a wonderful place indeed; i have
personnally little experience with it 'cause I've just joined it but have
been sitting here a-long for a couple of months. The only fact this exists
is already great in itself.

Beside this point, Jundo is a very inspiring
and dedicated teacher and you'll find here lots of very friendly folks.

I personnally live in France, in a very small town of Burgundy, surrounded
by woods and no zen friend around (as far as i know) ; i fortunately live in a house with a
wild garden, share the place with 2 friendly dogs, do zazen everyday, love
Nature & music and have a 15 year old son in Netherlands... well, just to
give you an idea...

Hoping you'll find inspiration & more on this site and to hear of you
sometime, best wishes to you & your beloved,

Gassho, Cucchilou

cucchilou
11-25-2008, 01:39 PM
Sitting,

Less thought, yet clearer
Few words or steps, more action
Light and breath in love

Gassho, Cucchilou

jcsuperstar
11-26-2008, 10:04 PM
gassho,

hello my name is jc. i live in a small town in alaska. i was apart of a soto comunity years ago and studied under a japanese priest. however i quit attending after a rather painful divorce and moving away from the city that the group was located in. other than dogen, my fave zen authors is Uchiyama and i also enjoy brad warner since i too come from a back ground of being in punk bands, though i'm not as brash as he is :D

outside of zen i've lived in theravada temples in both america and thailand and i still spend time at them whenever i can as i'm friends with many thai and lao monks. IMO the thai tradition is quite compatable with zen especially the forest tradition and the ideas of ajahn buddhadasa (if you ever read him, i'm sure you'll feel right at home) who actually translated into thai the platform sutra and other zen texts (living in bangkok i even saw a thai version of dogen's zuimonki along side theravada texts!)

when i was still in my zen sangha i was working on my rakusu, but i never finished and never took judkai, and this has always bothered me =(

i hope to learn as much as i can here, and deepen my practice

with metta
jc

Dosho
11-27-2008, 02:33 AM
Welcome to Treeleaf JC! And to anyone else I may have missed. :)

chicanobudista
11-27-2008, 06:48 AM
Bienvenidos! :D

cucchilou
11-27-2008, 12:45 PM
JC,

Bienvenu, Welcome to Treeleaf :)

Gassho, Cucchilou

HereNow
11-27-2008, 05:37 PM
Greetings All,

My name is Rod and I live in Los Angeles, CA. I came to Buddhism through my formal and informal studies of Western philosophy, consciousness studies (specifically the work of Susan Blackmore), and neuroscience. I recently became a member of the Hazy Moon Zen Center (William Nyogen Yeo Roshi).

I am also a full-time philosophy major/anthropology minor at a local college.

I look forward to learning and sharing on this forum and sangha.

Gassho,

Rod

will
11-28-2008, 04:43 AM
Gassho Rod.

Welcome.

Will

chicanobudista
11-28-2008, 05:26 AM
Bienvenido Rod! Gassho.....

DavidConner
11-28-2008, 05:55 AM
Hello everyone.

Just thought I'd introduce myself. My name is David. I live near Nashville, TN. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone, especially considering that there is not much of a community anywhere near me. I have been sitting only the last few months, but have been studying Buddhism for several years now. I hope I might be able to contribute to the development of the sangha with some of that knowledge.

So this is awkward. Thank you for your time. It's a pleasure to meet all of you.

Gassho.

Shohei
11-28-2008, 01:26 PM
Welcome JC, Rob and David!

So this is awkward
Hehe when isn't it :)

Gassho, Dirk

cucchilou
11-28-2008, 02:48 PM
Hi! David and Rod, Welcome to Treeleaf, Welcome to Here & Now :)

Gassho, Cucchilou

Myoshin
11-28-2008, 03:22 PM
Hello All,
My name is Kyle, and I am a senior in high school who plans to major in pre-medicine. I hail from Pennsylvania and am currently applying for college (yuck...the paper work is so tedious). I found this site by chance, sadly there are not many places in my area that practice Zen or any form of Buddhism for that matter, so I found Treeleaf through my random searching on the web. I mulled over the decision to join for a few days and after reading some of the material on the site and watching some videos from the blog, I decided to join. I have been sitting off and on now for about a year and a half, and really wanted to find others who did the same. Here in PA not many practice Buddhism nor know of it...or I have just not found many that do :) . I hope to strengthen my practice and I feel that a Sangha like this will aid in that goal. Well I look forward to chatting with others on this site...and of course sitting with you.

Thanks,
-Kyle

Dosho
11-28-2008, 05:58 PM
Welcome to Treeleaf David and Kyle! :)

JeffLegg
12-02-2008, 04:42 PM
Hello Treeleafers,

I realize that I never posted an introduction even though I've occassionally posted for a couple of months.

My name is Jeff Legg, and I live with my wife and son in Richmond, Va, USA. In addition we have a lot of animals: dogs, horses, cats, rats, gerbils, fish, and a Quaker parrot. I teach medical imaging at our local university.

I have been practicing for a little over a year now although I studied Buddhism a little during grad school. I have made a commitment to my practice and have witnessed at times some softening of my opinions and biases (I've written about that on a previous blog) and more calmness. I have also been a vegetarian for a little over a year which amazes all of my family/friends and doctor as I was a real carnivore! :lol:

I wrote Jundo several months ago regarding a question of dana for many of the homeless who are around our university (we're in the middle of the city). His suggestions were very helpful for me. I also made a commitment to either give to charity every payday. This has been very gratifying and fun and is a nice supplement to volunteering.

I would like to end by giving a little 'prop' to my students in our department at the university. We have an honor society that focuses a great deal on service. They have been great at conducting food drives, detergent drives for our local hospital hospitality house, and school supplies for an inner city elementary school. Not only am I proud of them but it is really nice to see some good work being doing by a very multicultural group of college kids--hope for the future.

I really love the sangha forum and the daily sessions/talks. I hope to participate in the Jukai ceremony in the future.

Jeff

Jinho
12-03-2008, 05:59 AM
Hi and welcome to Jeff, Rod, David, Kyle, JC!!!!!!!!

gassho,
rowan
who must attend her dripping nose........

cucchilou
12-03-2008, 09:59 AM
Gassho & Welcome Jeff & Kyle !!! :)

... come and bring your bit of salt and sparks of light into this Here & Now Place

cucchilou

cucchilou
12-05-2008, 10:49 AM
Hi Jeff!

I really dig your letter: very inspiring!! I see you from here with all your animals (in a farm-like place?) and family in Richmond... did you know that 'anima' meant 'soul' in Latin?
Good you gave up eating animals... and some wondering if they have a soul?? personnally, i don't!

Ok Jeff, take care of all them souls dear to you, humans or animals, all Buddha's nature, aren't they?

Gassho 3x Cucchilou

Shui_Di
12-07-2008, 07:29 PM
welcome for all the new treeleafers....

nice to meet you all... :D

Gassho, Shuidi

jbojanis
12-08-2008, 05:56 PM
Thanks to all for the warm welcome.
I did get an email from a Treeleaf member who happens to be living in my town. I will have to drop him a line. (Small world - small universe).
RWC (jbojanis).

Yogi
12-09-2008, 06:02 PM
Hi all!
Im Hernán Massau-Chorne from Buenos Aires, Argentina. I will try to introduce myself briefly, let me see...
Im 31, married and proud father of a 5 years old girl. Im a traditional yoga teacher, I really love to teach yoga as I believe it's a great way to help people.
Also I work as communications manager in a nonprofit called Idealist.org (in the spanish-speakers branch)

I love to write in my blog about Yoga and Buddhism, and also enjoy playing some music in my free time with my charango and shakuhachi.
Im really new to zazen. I practice regulary trascendental meditation since 10 years, but after reading about zazen it blowed my mind and wanted to practice that. My only experience with zazen was in a Kosen Thibaut dojo where I've learned the basics. So here I am, wanting to learn, and to improve my zazen (in quality and quantity) and some day help many sentient beings to cross to the other shore.

Dosho
12-09-2008, 06:19 PM
Welcome Treeleaf Yogi...and all other recent newbies! :)

Dojin
12-09-2008, 07:20 PM
welcome yogi.

glad you are here with us :) hope to see you around treeleaf :)

p.s. one thing i sure need is a yoga teacher to help get me in to the lotus :lol:

Gassho, and welcome.
Daniel.

Shohei
12-09-2008, 11:56 PM
Hiya and welcome Hernán!

Gassho, Dirk

Shogen
12-10-2008, 04:40 AM
I have been a member of Treeleaf Sangha for about a week. During that time I have been immersed in the study of the Precepts, Jundo's comments, all links, and posts from members. Thank you all for bringing a profound new meaning to the precepts. My Zen Buddhist practice has truly been enriched. There could not be a better welcome offered. Gassho zak

Yogi
12-10-2008, 06:11 PM
Thanks all for the warm welcome!!!
:-)

amanda
12-11-2008, 06:40 PM
Considering I originally registered in 2007, it's probably time I did something other than just read and sit-a-long, no? :wink:

My name's Amanda and I first became interested in Buddhism when I was a teenager and found a copy of D.T. Suzuki's Zen Buddhism at a library's used book sale. What attracted me was that zen seemed to answer all the big questions I was thinking about, and it ended up informing a lot of the decisions I've made as I've gone through life.

Twenty-some years later, I've been trying to find a sangha that fits, but there's nothing nearby that's quite right. Finding this community has been helpful, and I want to thank everyone for their contributions so far, and extend my thanks in advance for future insights!

I look forward to participating, and thanks to Jundo for making this possible!

Gassho
A.

KellyRok
12-12-2008, 12:14 AM
Hello all,

I haven't been here for a while...wow, we have a lot of new faces. How wonderful to meet all of you! Welcome to Treeleaf.

Gassho,
Kelly Rok

Neika
12-13-2008, 04:48 AM
Greetings,
My name is Ian Adams, I live in Riverside, California, about 60 miles due east of Los Angeles. I am married, with one son, and work as an automotive technician. I have been interested in Zen since my early teens when I was first exposed to its writing while studying karate. I have practiced off-and-on over the years, but am now trying to establish a regular schedule of sitting. Occasionally, I sit at the Zen Center of Los Angeles.
I look forward to participating in the zendo, to deepening my practice, and to eventually getting into a full lotus. :)

Gassho,
Ian

james
12-19-2008, 12:20 AM
Hello everyone,

My name is James, I am 24 years old and I currently reside in Birmingham, England. I've been interested in Zen for about four years but I have only recently begun a daily Zazen practice. You can only read about Zen for so long without practicing it and I feel I reached that point about three and a half years ago, but better late than never I suppose.

I came across Treeleaf a few days ago and have been amazed at the amount of information here. This Sangha has already achieved so much and I am sure that with a teacher as clearly dedicated as Jundo, this community can only go from strength to strength.

I sincerely look forward to learning from and with you all.

Gassho,

James

Gregor
12-19-2008, 12:50 AM
Hi James,

Great to meet you. Looking forward to studying the dharma and sitting with you.

:)

Mary
12-19-2008, 03:03 AM
Greetings-
My name is Mary. I am from Ferndale, Washington which is about 95 mi north of Seattle and about 25 mi s of the Canadian border. I have been practicing Zen for about 5 years. I came to Zen by accident. I encountered Buddhism first through a couple of movies and lots of books. This was before I was aware there were sects of Buddhism, so I just read whatever seemed next to read. This means I have read books from many teachers of all sects. I was originally interested in Tibetan Buddhism, because I thought it was colorful and loud, which I liked. I was LEAST interested in Zen, because it was quiet and way less colorful. But, I heard that some Zen priest was giving a public talk in a nearby town. I went to hear Zoketsu Norman Fischer speak, and was so moved that I gravitated more and more toward Zen.
I am fortunate to have a nearby hall and sangha. I join here for what another on this forum called "extra credit". I am married and have two children, one still in the nest. So, it is not always easy for me to make it to sits and services. Also, I find I need a format where I can freely discuss practice. This exchange is not always possible even with a face-to-face sangha.
Gassho-
Mary

Dojin
12-19-2008, 07:20 AM
welcome mary :)

Kevin Solway
12-26-2008, 06:59 AM
Hiya folks,

You seem to have a good thing going on here.

I'm an old-time . . . er . . . thinker . . . perhaps. I'm somewhat of a militant thinker, if that's possible.

You can find all my stuff at theabsolute.net (http://www.theabsolute.net)

I'll shortly be putting up a large webpage about the correct way to interpret rebirth, and all the reasons that literal rebirth is wrong, even supported by the scriptures themselves. :)

chicanobudista
12-26-2008, 08:11 AM
Bienvenido Hernan y tod@s! :D

Daiji
12-27-2008, 05:10 PM
Hi everyone,
My name is Nombi and I have been practicing Soto on/off for about 10 years. The on/off part includes practicing Nichiren buddhism, a little reading and exploration on my own, as well as Vajrayana. However what I have always enjoyed, and have finally realized is more for me, is "just sitting". I have read plenty of books about meditating, but at some point you have to actually do the work, so here I am. I teach yoga and chi gong, and live in the desert, so I have plenty of opportunities to contemplate "big sky mind", even if I don't experience it on my cushion... but I'm not attached to it, so no worries.... :wink:

Shohei
12-27-2008, 07:01 PM
Hello and Welcome Amanda, Ian, James, Mary and Nombi.

Gassho, Dirk

Dojin
12-28-2008, 06:56 PM
welcome all to our little corner of the woods :)

Tom
12-29-2008, 06:44 AM
Gassho, All.

My name's Tom and I'm writing to you from Indonesia. Where Zen pilgrims once had to traverse dangerous paths, like tiger filled mountain passes, I've been caught up on technicalities a 10-year old could probably fix, even with a Mac. I clearly need to sit more. 8)

The next Zen riddle for me will be an avatar, but once it's up you may all wish that I didn't put it there, if my gym friends comments are anything to go by. Introduction: I'm a 36-year old Australian bloke (guy) incarnated during the working day as a journalist, editor, and part-time grad student.

I've been reading, dabbling, starting, stopping, and starting again on the Buddhist path for 8 years. When life went well, practice waned. When life went badly, practice came back. But something kept bringing me back, probably the books of Geri "Parang" Larkin and her salt-of-the-earth tales of running a Sangha in downtown Detroit, Michigan and other parts of North America.

I'm looking forward to working with the treeleaf Sangha. Not having a Sangha has been a big challenge for me down here in the world's largest Muslim-majority country. I've schlepped down to the nearest temple a couple of times to talk with the nice, 20-something Thai monk. Meditation isn't encouraged in lay people, he said, first they must learn to keep the Sila. Fair enough, I thought, but something about Zen spoke to me in the same way I've seen on comments here.

Enough talking. I'll endeavour to sit each morning. The knowledge that there are dozens of you out there doing the same, in different time zones, in different parts of the planet is helping.

Gassho.

Tom.

Dosho
12-31-2008, 02:24 AM
Welcome to Treeleaf Tom! :)

Igor
12-31-2008, 06:28 PM
Hello everybody!

My name is Igor and I'm new in this place. I practice zazen for some time now, but I think that I need some help with my practice. Hopefully you'll be kind enough to give me some advice sometime, will you?

All the best,

Igor

Yugen
01-01-2009, 03:19 AM
Igor,
Welcome to Treeleaf! I look forward to practicing and learning with you... we all learn from one another... I look forward to your posts.

Gassho,
Alex

Shohei
01-01-2009, 01:38 PM
Hi and Welcome Tom and Igor.

Gassho, Dirk

monkton
02-18-2009, 07:35 PM
Hi all,

Michael here, very happy to be sitting in with you all. I'm in Wicklow right now, and I'm enjoying reading through the posts and browsing some earlier talks too.

May all be happy and well!

Michael

Attached files http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/images/attachments_phpbb/20077=81-phpHXYmdR_c1PM.jpg (http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/images/attachments_phpbb/20077=81-phpHXYmdR_c1PM.jpg)