PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Italy

..::walter::..
10-13-2007, 09:03 AM
Hi, i'm a 30 years old guy from italy.

I began practicing meditation techniques something about 3 years ago.
Then, after some months, i wanted to understand if there was a meaning in what i was doing behind the relaxation factor.
I read from first zen and then about general Buddhism books ( also if the opposite would have been more sensible).

Now i'm practicing zazen twice a day with good constancy.

The day before yesterday i bought ear caps like these http://snipurl.com/1s48b (http://http://snipurl.com/1s48b) because my bedroom (the place where i do zazen) is sometimes noisy despite it remains the best place i ever found for my practice.

They reduce a lot of the noise but do not make you totally deaf, i think this is good because in zazen we don't want to cut off ourselves from the world of senses even if a quite place is useful to reach and maintain awareness , isn't it?

Does anybody use something like this?

Anyway i hope much time of practice all together in this e-zendo.

Dainin
10-13-2007, 09:29 AM
Hi Walter,

Welcome to Treeleaf! Glad you found us. Your English is fine, so there is no need to apologize.

Regarding wearing earplugs: I don't wear them, and I think ultimately you have to find what works for you. But, zazen is not always about being calm, peaceful, and quiet. Yes, a quiet place in which to practice is usually best, but life isn't always so. Sometimes when I sit, I hear my kids playing, or my wife on the phone, or the TV, and there are certainly a lot of airplanes flying overhead. But all that's okay because life off our cushion throws all types of "noise" our way, and I think the key to living a balanced life is to accept what is, not get pulled one way or the other by it, and let it go when appropriate.

While I don't know how loud your place is when you sit, I'd suggest you not wear your earplugs and just sit with whatever happens. That's my 2 cents, anyway.

Again, welcome!

Gassho,
Keith

Mr Walker
10-13-2007, 09:48 AM
Welcome, Walter! I sometimes use my iPod with earphones to play for instance Jundo's zen meditation timer, and of course it keeps out the noise at the same time. but other times, I don't. Depends on the mood...

W

Jundo
10-13-2007, 10:40 AM
Regarding wearing earplugs: I don't wear them, and I think ultimately you have to find what works for you. But, zazen is not always about being calm, peaceful, and quiet. Yes, a quiet place in which to practice is usually best, but life isn't always so. Sometimes when I sit, I hear my kids playing, or my wife on the phone, or the TV, and there are certainly a lot of airplanes flying overhead. But all that's okay because life off our cushion throws all types of "noise" our way, and I think the key to living a balanced life is to accept what is, not get pulled one way or the other by it, and let it go when appropriate.

Yes yes yes yes. I was going to say it just this way. So, often I do Zazen in a noisy place, like by the side of the highway or the like. Also, if I am being quiet, but some noise comes I do not want (like airplanes or my child banging his toys), I just accept the airplane and banging. We just sit with whatever comes, without judgment. There is nothing to reject.

On the other hand, generally, we do want to sit in a quiet room (meaning, a room that is actually quiet), staring blankly at the wall. The sensory deprivation is important. So, if it is your only way to have a quiet room, I think the earplugs are an interesting way to do that.

Gassho, Jundo

Kelly M.
10-13-2007, 01:26 PM
So, often I do Zazen in a noisy place, like by the side of the highway or the like.

I will sometimes sit Zazen on a nearby park bench that is beside a busy street. I actually enjoy this as the noisy environment around me tends to contrast nicely with my quiet observation. It seems to make the silence of my mind stand out more than it would in a silent room. I also find that it is often easier to remain present, as there is more going on around me than if I were alone in my quiet living room facing a wall. It is a nice way to mix it up a bit from time to time. Jundo, did you once mention Zazen in McDonalds? Perhaps I heard that somewhere else.

Oh, and hello Walter! Welcome!

Cheers,
Kelly

Rev R
10-13-2007, 02:20 PM
Jell-o, walter with the great many dots accentuating the name.

Bansho
10-13-2007, 04:53 PM
Hi Walter,

Welcome to our little (but rapidly growing) tree. :)

Gassho
Kenneth

Mensch
10-13-2007, 06:17 PM
There's a stunning quote from some Thai teacher who responded to his complaining disciples: "It's snot the noise, that is disturbing you – you are disturbing the noise."

Welcome ..::walter::..!

Mensch

Ryan
10-13-2007, 09:25 PM
Hi Walter! Welcome to Treeleaf! Never tried earphones here, but its not usually *too* noisy in my neighborhood.

-Ryan

Jundo
10-13-2007, 09:41 PM
Jundo, did you once mention Zazen in McDonalds? Perhaps I heard that somewhere else.

Hi Kelly,

Yes, I sit in places and situations like this from time to time. Here is an example.

http://treeleafzen.blogspot.com/2007/09 ... uddha.html (http://http://treeleafzen.blogspot.com/2007/09/sit-long-with-jundo-mcbuddha.html)

It is not the best kind of place to practice most times, but it is good sometimes as practice with "just what is". Also, I encourage folks to do "mini-Zazens" everyday out in the world (whether sitting or standing) ... in the postal line, in the dentist's chair, in a traffic jam (keep your eyes open and your attention on the cars!!), when doing some unpleasant job you really resist, etc. It can just be for a moment or a minute, but it is good to find 'Zen Mind' many times during the day.

Gassho, Jundo

will
10-13-2007, 11:44 PM
Hi Walter. Welcome.

Gassho Will

Jarkko
10-14-2007, 09:26 AM
Hello Walter and welcome,
People here in Treeleaf are so kind, this is very unique.

Gassho
Jarkko

helena
10-14-2007, 11:31 AM
Welcome Walter!
It is great that this is such an international place.

Best regards, Helena