PDA

View Full Version : Zazen?

Murah
05-10-2007, 01:10 AM
I'm pretty new to the whole "Zen experience" and one thing I can't quite seem to understand is Zazen ( or the zen meditation).

How is this different from all the other meditations out there?

For the past six months I've been practicing breathing meditation ( anapanasati) without a teacher, so I guess you could say I'm still fairly new to meditation as well..lol.

Thanks for your input!

-Murah :D

Bansho
05-11-2007, 11:51 AM
Hi Murah,

Zazen is the complete practice of shila (ethics), samadhi (concentration) and prajna (wisdom), as such it encompasses all aspects of the Eightfold Path. 'Meditation' is actually a misnomer, since Zazen has no specific object of focus, in contrast to most techniques of meditation/contemplation.

Gassho
Kenneth

Jeff F G F
01-15-2019, 07:12 PM
Mahakashayaka once stood up after a lecture by Gautama Buddha and handed him a flower while smiling. He understood. The point of Buddhism is beyond consciousness. The aim in Soto Zen Buddhism is the firm conviction, beyond consciousness in just sitting. (From near the end of a beginner book on Soto Zen Buddhism, "Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind" part of "Beyond Consciousness", near the end of Part 3 "Right Understanding". The purpose of sitting down somewhere is just to calm down, collect yourself, forget everything for a while!!! And it's so basic, people don't give it a thought, like we do!! Don't tell them!!! :-)

Shinshi
01-15-2019, 07:38 PM
Hi Murah,

There is a whole series of talks by Jundo about Zazen that you might find helpful. Here is a link that summarizes the the content of various teachings.

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showthread.php?14896-Sit-a-Long-with-Jundo-Zazen-for-Beginners-%28INTRODUCTION%29-Begin-Here%21

I found these really helpful and informative when I started.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH

Jundo
01-16-2019, 02:43 AM
Hi Murah,

There is a whole series of talks by Jundo about Zazen that you might find helpful. Here is a link that summarizes the the content of various teachings.

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showthread.php?14896-Sit-a-Long-with-Jundo-Zazen-for-Beginners-%28INTRODUCTION%29-Begin-Here%21

I found these really helpful and informative when I started.

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH

Shinshi,

Congratulations, Shinshi, you just answered a question from Murah that was asked in 2007! Oh, the wonders of our Sangha! gassho2

But, Jeff, do sit with the Beginner's series that Shinshi mentions, and then we can discuss such things. It may be a little more ... and less ... than what you say.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

Shinshi
01-16-2019, 02:47 AM
Shinshi,

Congratulations, Shinshi, you just answered a question from Murah that was asked in 2007! Oh, the wonders of our Sangha! gassho2

But, Jeff, do sit with the Beginner's series that Shinshi mentions, and then we can discuss such things. It may be a little more ... and less ... than what you say.

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

Better late than never?

And, in my defense, I didn't go find a Zombie thread - Jeff F G F - responded today.

I'll look more closely at the posting dates in each posts in the future. :)

gassho1

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH

Jundo
01-16-2019, 04:00 AM
Better late than never?

And, in my defense, I didn't go find a Zombie thread - Jeff F G F - responded today.

I'll look more closely at the posting dates in each posts in the future. :)

gassho1

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH

No need. It is lovely. I just hope that Murah has not been refreshing his browser every few minutes for 11 years waiting for an answer. :p

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

Geika
01-16-2019, 09:06 PM
No need. It is lovely. I just hope that Murah has not been refreshing his browser every few minutes for 11 years waiting for an answer. :p

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

:D too funny.

Sat today, lah

Shinshi
01-16-2019, 10:33 PM

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

gassho2

[morehappy]

Gassho, Shinshi

SaT-LaH