PDA

View Full Version : [Challenging Times] -(13)- Taking Refuge in Sangha - Hobu Beata Chapman

Jundo
08-09-2023, 12:46 AM
Dear All ...

Beata Chapman presents a powerful, and beautifully written personal story of surviving physical and psychological abuse, living with PTSD, and finding strength and refuge in the community of Zen Sangha. I hope that our Treeleaf Sangha is able to offer the same to our members who might benefit. She discusses coming to terms with scars from the past, in mind and body, without expectation and need for them to vanish completely.

It was also interesting to me that, as an aside, she mentions the need to "recline" Zazen.

For those who do not yet have a copy, I have made a PDF version available here for those waiting for their ordered book, or those unable to afford or obtain the book (second half of the book):https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yQVdhlswJ6TcpvxDbV2BgWKLJopcdvZj/view?usp=share_link

Feel free to jump into the readings and discussion even if you have not read other chapters.

Gassho, Jundo

stlah

Kiri
08-09-2023, 05:25 PM
One of my favorite chapters so far. I really felt Hobu's words deep inside, not something I intellectualized.

Everyone brings themselves to practice just as I do. That's what we do. And we don't get to leave certain parts of ourselves at the zendo door, or the interview room. We bring this one everywhere, just as it is.

I am someone who regularly leaves certain parts of myself at the door in my daily life - my sexual orientation, my social anxiety, the religious path I chose (Zen) ... But in zazen I can't hide or deny anything. I sit as I am, nothing to add, nothing to subtract.

More and more that's how I come to Treeleaf, as myself. And for that I am truly thankful to everyone here, my Sangha gassho2

Gassho, Kiri
Sat/Lah

Alina
08-11-2023, 06:51 PM
To penetrate suffering is to penetrate human life, to find complete refuge in life as-it-is.

She went through so much and thanks to Zazen and the support of her Sangha, she was able to embrace her life, "as-it-is".

Hobu Beata Chapman's example is (along with Shosan Victoria Austin's) one that will stay with me and guide me when I find my life "hard".

And I feel really grateful to have found Treeleaf, now I know that no matter where life may take me, the Sangha will be with me, and I don't have to practice alone anymore.

Thank you all.

Gassho gassho2

Alina
ST

Tairin
08-12-2023, 07:48 PM
That was a hard essay to read. I can’t imagine the pain and trauma Hobu has been through. I can’t really related to those experiences. Much of her message about sitting with pain and discomfort seems almost targeted to many of our members here and I am sure many can relate.

Everyone brings themselves to practice just as I do. That’s what we do.
This is my favourite quote from the book so far. gassho2

gassho2
Tairin
Sat today and lah

Tokan
08-12-2023, 10:43 PM
Hi all

Deep respect to Hobu Chapman for sharing such an intensely personal story so openly. The only word that springs to mind to encapsulate such a vast teaching is 'surrender,' which she seems to have applied on so many levels. I relate so much better to these 'personal' teachings than the esoteric (avoid talking about myself) teachings because they speak more to the heart of 'my' practice and point directly to the power of acceptance and personal transformation through practice (applied daily of course :encouragement:)

Gassho, Tokan

satlah

Heikyo
08-15-2023, 04:22 PM
Hello everyone
I agree with the other posts how brave Hobu has been to recount such deep trauma. What struck me most is how flexible, compassionate and accommodating her Sangha was, so that it eventually became her place of refuge. Zen can sometimes be perceived as being a very rigid form of Buddhism and this chapter showed how that just isn’t true.
Gassho
Heikyo
Sat today

ZenKen
08-16-2023, 11:26 AM
This was a very powerful reading and teaching, with so much to take from it. For me, the part that struck me was that there is no time limit, no point to 'arrive' at zen and know it and be it. That bestowing a Dharma name or taking jukai does not mean you've 'won' zen. That 'leaving' and 'returning' are all parts of practice, that doubt in zen or oneself is practice, even that wanting to take a break from how hard practice can be - is practice!

Gassho
ZenKen (Anna)
satlah

Chikyou
08-16-2023, 02:12 PM
An incredible and thought provoking essay to be sure. I'm struck by the warmth, kindness and compassion shown to Hobu by Zen teachers and members of her Sangha.

Gassho,
SatLah
Kelly

Hōzan
08-17-2023, 05:41 PM
An inspirational story and great teaching.
So much wisdom in each chapter of this book!
Like you, Tairin, I also found my favorite quote of this book (so far) in this chapter:

...salvation doesn't seem nearly as interesting as the mess of the moment.

Gassho, Michael
Sat

Jundo
09-01-2023, 02:01 AM
I am pleased to say that Rev. Beata Chapman will be coming as a Guest Teacher to Treeleaf, sometime in the coming couple of months. She apologizes, as she was suddenly unable to come a few weeks ago, when we discussed this essay. However, everyone, please keep it in mind so that you can join us when she does come.

Also, I am pleased to say that another author, Rev. joan Hogetsu Hoeberichts, will be coming to Treeleaf on Sunday, September 10th. We are setting the exactly time of day now, and I hope to post about that soon.

Gassho, Jundo

Stlah

Kotei
09-01-2023, 05:14 AM
Thank you for making this possible.
I always enjoy those events.
Gassho,
Kotei sat/lah today.