PDA

View Full Version : The Sixty-eighth of 108 Gates Of Dharma Illumination

Shokai
02-26-2023, 02:33 AM
68) The Sixty-eighth Gate: Mindfulness as a Part of the State of Truth

Mindfulness, as a part of the state of truth, is a gate of Dharma illumination; for it is wisdom that accords with real dharmas. (Nishijima/Cross)

Branches of mindfulness are a gate of realizing dharma; they are like wisdom about all things. (Tanahashi)

Gate Gatha:

May we, together with all buddhas;
Actualize Mindfulness, as a part of the state of truth,
That we may have wisdom that accords with real dharmas.

Reflection Prompts:

1. Explain the slight difference of these two translations.

2. In either case, how does mindfulness bring us accord with real dharmas?

3. Write anew gate gatha

Capping Verse:

To a serene mind
The world seems
Simply as it is

gassho, Shokai
stlah

aprapti
02-26-2023, 11:33 AM
gassho2

gassho1 aprapti

sat

Tairin
02-26-2023, 02:53 PM
Thank you Shokai

1. Explain the slight difference of these two translations.

I am not sure I see much difference. They are two different fingers pointing at the same moon. Either way they point to mindfulness as allowing us to see things as they are rather than clouded by our perceptions.

2. In either case, how does mindfulness bring us accord with real dharmas?

Mindfulness helps us see beyond our preferences. When I want X but am given Y then I will view Y as undesirable. But Y is just Y. It is just my perceptions that colour Y.

To a serene mind
The world is
Simply as it is

gassho2
Tairin
Sat today and lah

Jishin
02-26-2023, 07:40 PM
1. The difference between the two translations is primarily in the phrasing. Nishijima/Cross emphasizes the relationship between mindfulness and truth by stating that mindfulness is a part of the state of truth and is the wisdom that accords with real dharmas. Tanahashi focuses on the practical application of mindfulness, describing it as a gateway to realizing dharma and wisdom about all things.

2. Mindfulness brings us accord with real dharmas by helping us to develop a clear and non-judgmental awareness of our thoughts, feelings, and experiences. Through this awareness, we can see things as they truly are and gain a deeper understanding of the nature of reality. This understanding helps us to act in accordance with the truth, and to make choices that are beneficial to ourselves and others.

3. New:

Gate Gatha:

May we, together with all buddhas;
Cultivate mindful presence in each moment,
That we may be fully present and embody the truth of each experience.

Capping Verse:

With mindful presence, we meet the world
Fully awake, fully alive,
Embodying the truth of our being.

Gassho, Jishin, ST, LAH

Shokai
02-27-2023, 02:43 AM
[monk]

Shokai
02-28-2023, 02:35 AM
[claps]