PDA

View Full Version : The Sixty-seventh of 108 Gates Of Dharma Illumination

Shokai
02-25-2023, 02:44 AM
67) The Sixty-seventh Gate: The Power of Wisdom

The power of wisdom* is a gate of Dharma illumination; for [with it] we depart from the two extremes. (Nishijima/Cross)

The ability of wisdom is a gate of realizing dharma; it goes beyond dualism. (Tanahashi)

*[Power of Wisdom: great or marked ability to know what is true or right coupled with just judgment as to action]

Gate Gatha:

May we, together with all buddhas;
Actualize the power of wisdom
That we may keep to the middle way.

Reflection Prompts:

1. Do either departing from the two extremes or going beyond dualism mean the middle way?

2. How does wisdom help us to either depart from the two extremes or go beyond dualism

3. Write a new Capping Verse?

Capping Verse:

Knowing left from right
We walk straight
And never backwards

gassho, Shokai
stlah

aprapti
02-25-2023, 08:59 AM
gassho2

gassho1 aprapti

sat

Tokan
02-25-2023, 07:40 PM
Hi all

1. Do either departing from the two extremes or going beyond dualism mean the middle way? - I feel more inclination towards Roshi Nishijima's translation, that of departing rather than going beyond dualism (the two extremes). I think while we are embodied as humans we can truly go beyond dualism as all our acts, words and thoughts occur in that space - we are dualistic beings, my experience of zazen is not the same as yours (I doubt), so there's the duality. However, I do not see this as a problem. We are not seeking the mystical Oneness of esoteric some religions or traditions, it is the Oneness that is reality itself, beyond delusion. So, for me, it is not duality that is the problem, it is our relationship to it, i.e. delusion, that is the challenge we face. I also think the middle way is how we depart from the two extremes, not necessarily a consequence of the departing, though I have met some people who live lives wonderfully in tune with the middle way without any interest in Buddhism.

2. How does wisdom help us to either depart from the two extremes or go beyond dualism? - Wisdom, as a practice, is living a life consistent with the eightfold path, being one aspect of it anyway. Wisdom requires balanced consideration of the options, including both extremes, and even in the biblical sense (Solomon), suggests the arrival at the best decision which goes beyond personal opinion and biased values or assumptions. Acting with wisdom does require other aspects of the path, such as right intent and right view.

3. Write a new Capping Verse?

Looking in the ten directions
Acting and thinking with wisdom
I never depart from the Way

Gassho, Tokan

satlah

Shokai
02-26-2023, 02:30 AM
[monk]

Tairin
02-26-2023, 02:39 PM
Thank you Shokai

1. Do either departing from the two extremes or going beyond dualism mean the middle way?

I like that phrase “departing from the two extremes “. That feels more closely aligned with the middle way. Either way I see wisdom as helping us avoid extremes or getting stuck in dualistic thinking. Through wisdom we are able to see that things aren’t this or they but can be this and that

2. How does wisdom help us to either depart from the two extremes or go beyond dualism

I think wisdom helps us release our grip on the things we cling to, including thoughts, perspectives, opinions. When we stop clinging then we are able to see more clearly because we see beyond our narrowed focus.

Looking left, I see left
Looking right, I see right
Standing here I see all

gassho2
Tairin
Sat today and lah

Tokan
02-26-2023, 10:08 PM
Looking left, I see left
Looking right, I see right
Standing here I see all

gassho2

Gassho, Tokan (satlah)

Tai Do
02-28-2023, 12:35 AM
Thank you, Shokai!

1. I think they are both different descriptions of the Middle Way. Departing from the extremes conveys it clearly; but going beyond dualism also conceits it, but with an idea of not being caught up by dualism while living and acting in the world.

2. The ability to know what is true or right and to act upon it lead us to go beyond the extremes, beyond dualism, because it makes us abandon our self-centered views that separate us from the others and the world.

Knowing right, acting right,
Abandoning dualistic distinctions,
Zazen and precepts are one

Gassho,
Tai Do
Satlah

Shokai
02-28-2023, 02:35 AM
Knowing right, acting right,
Abandoning dualistic distinctions,
Zazen and precepts are one :encouragement: