PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE on NEXT BOOK READING (and authors coming as Guest Teachers) TOP RECOMMENDED!

Jundo
01-30-2023, 04:20 AM
Dear All,

In about a week, we turn to a very unique collection of short essays by a group of women Soto Teachers, focused on Zen Wisdom and Compassion applied to real life problems. The book deserves to be better known, and is not to be missed. It is called ...

Zen Teachings in Challenging Times: (LINK) (https://books.google.co.jp/books/about/Zen_Teachings_in_Challenging_Times.html?id=HYQaugE ACAAJ&redir_esc=y)

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/41dOVmU7tYL._AC_SY350_QL15_.jpg

Twenty-five leading American teachers of Soto Zen Buddhism speak to all who have suffered and sought spiritual guidance, revealing personal stories of sickness, death, political anger, fear, jealousy, environmental corruption, disillusionment, and longing for peace.

They offer insight to how to stand with poise through the woes of existence and emerge transformed by our suffering. The transformative nature of Zen practice gives strength to face all possibilities. The entire book wears the mantle of Kanzeon, the goddess of mercy, the one who hears the cries of suffering and offers the loving hand of compassion to all living beings

This book is so under-appreciated, I think, that I truly hope that everyone will buy a copy (although something also can be arranged for folks with hardship to acquire the book).

What is more, good news: So far, half or more of the authors have agreed to come to Treeleaf to host a short guest Zazenkai, and Q&A, when their essay is our focus! I am hoping that I can get more if schedules can be arranged. Unfortunately, a couple of the authors are now ill, and cannot come (like the book's wonderful editor, and an old friend of Treeleaf, Dai-En Bennage Roshi, but we will dedicate all our readings and sittings to her health). I will announce the different Zazenkais when the dates are set, likely to spread out into the rest of this year and into early next.

So, I hope you will join in!

Gassho, Jundo

sattodayLAH

PS - (I was going to first turn to another chapter of my book, Zen Master's Dance (https://wisdomexperience.org/product/the-zen-masters-dance/), but we will save that for another time. You hear enough of me around here as it is! :p )

Meian
01-30-2023, 04:55 AM
[emoji120][emoji120][emoji120] stlh

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Kotei
01-30-2023, 07:50 AM
Looking very much forward to reading the book together and meeting the authors.
Gassho,
Kotei sat/lah today.

Andrea
01-30-2023, 11:48 AM
Thank you for the recommendation, Jundo. I look forward to the discussions of this book.

Gassho, Andrea
SatToday

Onkai
01-31-2023, 01:58 AM
Thank you, Jundo. I look forward to the discussions and the visiting authors.

Gassho,
Onkai
Sat lah

Veronica
01-31-2023, 05:29 AM
Exciting! I have the book and am ready to go!
Veronica
Stlah

Kiri
02-02-2023, 03:04 PM
Wonderful! Looking forward to it!
Gassho, Kiri
Sat/Lah

Risho
02-04-2023, 06:13 PM
excellent

gassho

risho
-stlah

Kokuu
02-04-2023, 07:36 PM
I really really like this book. It made a great difference to me when I read it, especially regarding the teachers who write about practice with ill health.

Gassho
Kokuu
-sattoday-

Seth David
02-05-2023, 03:43 PM
This is a great idea. Looking forward to reading the book and hearing from the teachers directly. I ordered mine through bookshop.org, a good alternative to Amazon that supports local bookstores (in the US only).

gassho2
ST
Seth

Tairin
02-06-2023, 01:31 AM
I was about to buy and download the book to oddly it is not available in ebook format in Canada either through Kobo or Kindle. Has anyone found this book in ebook or epub format?

gassho2
Tairin
Sat today and lah

Koushi
02-06-2023, 01:37 AM
I was about to buy and download the book to oddly it is not available in ebook format in Canada either through Kobo or Kindle. Has anyone found this book in ebook or epub format?

gassho2
Tairin
Sat today and lah

Hi Tairin,

Unfortunately, the book appears to only be in soft-cover/paperback. I did some searching as well (I much prefer digital over paper these days) but had no luck.

Gassho,
Koushi
STLaH

Tairin
02-06-2023, 02:00 AM
Hi Tairin,

Unfortunately, the book appears to only be in soft-cover/paperback. I did some searching as well (I much prefer digital over paper these days) but had no luck.

Gassho,
Koushi
STLaH

Thank you Koushi. That would explain why my search came up empty. Too bad. I prefer digital these days too

gassho2
Tairin
Sat today and lah

Jundo
02-06-2023, 02:49 AM
I will scan a rough version, a post it here for folks who need.

But I ask everyone to keep me honest and to order an actual paper copy too, unless there is real economic hardship. gassho2

Thank you.

Gassho, J

stlah

Tairin
02-06-2023, 11:22 AM
I will scan a rough version, a post it here for folks who need.

But I ask everyone to keep me honest and to order an actual paper copy too, unless there is real economic hardship. gassho2

Thank you.

Gassho, J

stlah

Hopeful not because of me. I prefer ebook format but am not allergic to paper :p. I can absolutely afford the price of the book

gassho2
Tairin
Sat today and lah

Tai Do
02-06-2023, 12:34 PM
I also couldn’t find a digital format and the price with the shipping is too high for me at this moment. I was thinking of not participating this time. Thank you, Jundo.
Gassho,
Tai Do
Satlah

Meian
02-06-2023, 12:35 PM
Thank you Koushi. That would explain why my search came up empty. Too bad. I prefer digital these days too

gassho2
Tairin
Sat today and lahSame here. No ebook version and no used copies to be found. Paperback on Amazon, pricing was sort of okay.

Gassho stlh

Jundo
02-06-2023, 02:58 PM
I also couldn’t find a digital format and the price with the shipping is too high for me at this moment. I was thinking of not participating this time. Thank you, Jundo.
Gassho,
Tai Do
Satlah

I am sure that it is fine, given the circumstances, to provide a PDF copy to those who need.

The priests self-published the book, not to make a profit, but to help sentient beings. I will try to get one posted soon, for those who cannot find a copy easily.

Gassho, Jundo

stlah

DanM
02-14-2023, 09:37 AM
I've (belatedly) ordered this book and look forward to reading along with everyone and hearing from the authors :).

Gassho gassho1,
ST/LAH

Meian
02-14-2023, 10:25 AM
I received my paperback copy yesterday. Ordered it a while ago through one of the thrift book sites as usual, and it's in great condition. Looking forward to it. [emoji120][emoji120][emoji120]

Gassho

Rousei
03-15-2023, 12:38 PM
My book arrived this afternoon, I'm very happy about that! Finally got a free second to sit down and actually look at it and what a wonderful looking book it is indeed. I'm excited to start going through its contents little by little with everyone.

Gassho
Rousei
ST

Tairin
03-19-2023, 01:39 AM
My book finally arrived today after needing to order it a second time. My first order was “lost” due to a cyber attack at the seller.

Thank you for making the PDF available. It helped me stay caught up until my copy arrived.

gassho2
Tairin
Sat today and lah

Yokai
03-26-2023, 11:31 PM
Hi all,

If anyone can point me to an e-copy I'd be v grateful. Probably easier to get moon-rock in NZ than a hard copy!

Thanks and Gassho, Yokai

sat/lah

Tairin
03-27-2023, 12:08 AM
Hi all,

If anyone can point me to an e-copy I'd be v grateful. Probably easier to get moon-rock in NZ than a hard copy!

Thanks and Gassho, Yokai

sat/lah

Hi Yokai

I checked and this book is not available for purchase in ebook format.

Jundo did get permission to post a PDF scanned in. https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showthread.php?21189-Challenging-Times-PDF-Now-Available-For-those-who-need for those who needed

gassho2
Tairin
Sat today and lah