PDA

View Full Version : Issue: Slow / Double Posts and PMs and Tapatalk on Mobile

Sekishi
06-05-2022, 02:40 AM
Hello everyone,

As many of you have likely noticed, some actions on the forum such as posting and sending PMs have been extremely slow lately (around 20 seconds), and that in some cases that has led to double-postings and PMs, weird floods of push notifications on mobile devices, etc.

After some detective work by multiple folks behind the scenes, we have tracked it down to the "Mobiquo" plugin which is used to give the "Tapatalk" mobile app access to Treeleaf. The nature of the issue is such that even if you did not use Tapatalk, do not know what it is, and are happily posting on your desktop com, it could still make your post take 20 seconds to process.

Unfortunately there is no solution at this time other than to disable the Tapatalk / Mobiquo plugin, which I have done. Hopefully they will work to address it quickly and we will be able to re-enable this feature for the forum soon.

Quick facts for the curious;

1. This is due to one (or more?) of Tapatalk's communication servers being unavailable for API calls.

2. It impacts both vB4 and vB5 (which is good in the sense that both older and newer vBulletin forums are impacted - just old ones and they might not be too bothered to address it!).

3. On the Tapatalk / Mobiquo support forums, there are forum administrators reporting this issue across multiple threads (and going back into last week). I'm hanging out in multiple threads and paying attention, so when they fix the issue, I'll see fairly quickly and will re-enable the plugin as soon as possible.

4. As is mentioned above, you do need to be using Tapatalk to be impacted by it (for example, if you post to a thread that people have "subscribed" to in Tapatalk, your post made form a desktop computer will still not go through).

5. As you may have noticed late last week, to try to remediate the double-posting (and double-PMs) issues, I turned off some forum UI elements (blinky notifications in the top right of the sidebar, some inline editing / posting features, etc.). Without the random 20 second pauses, I have been able to turn all of these features back on. So push notifications and such on mobile are not possible for now, but the UI is back to the way it was.

Anyhow, thats the deal. Apologies to our Tapatalk users. Hopefully this will not last long.

Gassho,
Sekishi
#lah #sat

Sekishi
06-05-2022, 03:59 AM
By the way: I think the way things are set up, I believe some Tapatalk functions will still work (you can still read threads?), just not all of them (no push notifications?).

Gassho,
Sekishi
#sat #lah

Tairin
06-05-2022, 11:57 AM
Just for the record I’ve noticed absolutely no problems using the web interface and my iPhone/iPad. Posting is as quick as ever. :)

gassho2
Tairin
Sat today and lah

Bion
06-05-2022, 12:18 PM
Just for the record I’ve noticed absolutely no problems using the web interface and my iPhone/iPad. Posting is as quick as ever. :)

gassho2
Tairin
Sat today and lah

Cause it is fixed now. [emoji1] But that is very good feedback!!! [emoji1319] [emoji1319] Sekishi Boddhisatva fixes all!

[emoji1374] Sat Today

Tairin
06-05-2022, 01:14 PM
Cause it is fixed now. [emoji1] But that is very good feedback!!! [emoji1319] [emoji1319] Sekishi Boddhisatva fixes all!

[emoji1374] Sat Today

Well I did mean I hadn’t noticed any problems over the past couple of days or weeks but good to know that Sekishi has it solved.

gassho2
Tairin
Sat today and lah

Sekishi
06-05-2022, 01:45 PM

It was definitely an intermittent thing (it would depend on if an Tapatalk users were "subscribed" to a thread for example).

Sekishi Boddhisatva fixes all!

And Kotei Bodhisattva.
And Koushi Bodhisattva.

How does Avalokiteshvara Bodhisattva get all those eyes and hands in the first place?

Teamwork. gassho1

Gassho,
Sekishi
#sat

Doshin
06-05-2022, 06:18 PM
I had issues on my IPad (slow and double posts) but figured it was me ;)…it usually is.

Thanks folks, glad there is a team to keep things working.

Doshin
St

Risho
06-06-2022, 02:08 PM
Interesting I saw that behavior from my phone a couple of days ago as well, but it has since cleared up

Gassho

Risho
-stlah

Tomás ESP
06-06-2022, 02:44 PM
I have also noticed that while going through the forum from my computer, some comments show [emoji1] or [emoji1319] and such instead of the actual sprites (if that's what they are called!).

Gassho, Tomás
Sat&LaH

Sekishi
06-08-2022, 04:07 PM
Hi all,

Tapatalk has restored their "push server", so I've turned the Tapatalk plugin back on. Hopefully everything goes forward without a hiccup, but do feel free to post here if anyone has any "slow posts" (20 seconds to post), double posts, or receives two copies of a PM.

Gassho,
Sekishi
#sat #lah

Sekishi
06-20-2022, 05:12 PM
Hi all,

Apparently some folks are still not getting push notifications from Tapatalk.

I've been on the Tapatalk support forums today and there is conflicting information. Community members say that logging out of Tapatalk, changing your password, and logging back in will restore notifications. I tried this, and indeed I started getting notifications again. However, the Tapatalk admins say that this is not the case (or is just a coincidence) and that slowly they are updating all accounts that were impacted by the outages and restoring push notifications for them.

I have no idea what the actual facts are at this point, but it seems like if you are not receiving push notifications from Tapatalk (and you are SURE you know your Tapatalk password), logging out, changing your password, and logging back in *might* fix it, but it might not (and there is no way to do that at all if you used Google or your Apple ID to create a Tapatalk account).

In any case, the issue is definitely upstream from us at Tapatalk, so there is nothing we can do about it at this juncture.

Deep bows,
Sekishi
#sat #lah

Koushi
07-30-2022, 01:26 PM
Hello all,

Tapatalk’s push notification server (https://push.tapatalk.com/push.php) is down… again… https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/tapatalksupport/push-service-is-down-t47123.html

Even if you don’t use Tapatalk, this can cause double-posting and loading issues on the forum until their server is back online. In the interim, I’m reaching out to the other techno-unsui to see what we can temporarily do on our end.

I’ll update when there’s more news and thank you for your patience,

Gassho,
koushi
ST

Koushi
07-30-2022, 01:48 PM
Update:

I went ahead and temporarily disabled any Tapatalk feature that sends push notifications to your devices. I'm afraid that's the only recourse at the moment, until their server comes back online.

So although we shouldn't see double-posting for now, it'll also mean that Tapatalk users won't be notified via push notification to your devices until they're turned back on/their server comes back online.

I'll be monitoring their server status throughout the day, and when it comes back up I'll turn the plugins back on on our side.

Thanks for your patience and apologies Tapatalk folks for the inconvenience.

Gassho,
koushi
STLaH

Koushi
08-04-2022, 12:08 AM
All,

Apologies for my lateness on the Tapatalk update. It appears that they resolved the push server issue on their side of things two days or so ago.

As such, I went ahead and turned on our Tapatalk plugin(s) again. Please keep an eye on things and do let me know if any double-posting or slowness issues occur. Tapatalk users should now receive notifications once more to their devices.

Gassho,
koushi
STLaH