PDA

View Full Version : May 6-7th, 2022 - OUR MONTHLY 4-hour Treeleaf ZAZENKAI - Dharma-Door of Non-duality

Jundo
05-06-2022, 04:54 AM
Today we will again walk through the Door of the Vimalakirti Sutra
(text below in this thread)

Please sit our Monthly 4-Hour Treeleaf Zazenkai netcast LIVE 8am to noon Japan time Saturday morning (that is New York 7pm to 11pm, Los Angeles 4pm to 8pm (Friday night), London midnight to 4am and Paris 1am to 5am (early Saturday morning)), and also sitable any time thereafter:

https://youtu.be/AuWGy-89TrY

However, "one way" live sitters are encouraged to come into the Zoom sitting, and just leave the camera and microphone turned off: Join live (with or without a camera & microphone) on Zoom at: TREELEAF Now (https://www.treeleaf.org/now/go.php?l=ssr) OR at DIRECT ZOOM LINK (https://zoom.us/j/4834831244), password (if needed): dogen

Dharma Talk Audio / Podcast Episode:
https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showthread.php?19135-Treeleaf-Podcast-Vimalakirti-Sutra-Series

The Sitting Schedule is as follows:

00:00 - 00:50 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA IN JAPANESE / SANDOKAI IN ENGLISH) & ZAZEN
00:50 - 01:00 KINHIN
01:00 - 01:30 ZAZEN
01:30 - 01:50 KINHIN

01:50 - 02:30 DHARMA TALK & ZAZEN
02:30 - 02:40 KINHIN & HOKEY-POKEY RITUAL

02:40 - 03:15 ZAZEN
03:15 - 03:30 KINHIN
03:30 - 04:00 METTA CHANT & ZAZEN, VERSE OF ATONEMENT, FOUR VOWS, & CLOSING

ATTENTION: Everyone, when rising for Kinhin or Ceremonies after Zazen, get up slowly, don't rush, hold something stable, you won't be "late," so TAKE YOUR TIME! Make sure you are careful getting up!

Gassho, Jundo

STLah

PS - There is no "wrong" or "right" in Zazen ... yet here is a little explanation of the "right" times to Bow (A Koan) ...

https://youtu.be/GR6POpsXh9Q

Chant Book is here for those who wish to join in: CHANT BOOK LINK (https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showthread.php?7032-Chant-Book-For-Weekly-and-Monthly-Zazenkai)

The other video I mention on Zendo decorum is this one, from our "Always Beginners" video Series:

Sit-a-Long with Jundo: Zazen for Beginners (12) - Basic Zendo Decorum At Home
https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showthread.php?14884-Sit-a-Long-with-Jundo-Zazen-for-Beginners-%2812%29&p=189093#post189093

I also recommend a little Talk on why small rituals and procedures are so cherished in the Zendo:

SIT-A-LONG with Jundo: Small Things in the Zendo
https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showthread.php?18494-SIT-A-LONG-with-Jundo-Small-Things-in-the-Zendo

Jundo
We continue will the Vimalakirti Nirdesa Sutra, cherished by Zen folks.

Here, at Gate 9, we again find many very excellent responses by a bunch of very wise Bodhisattvas (after all, they are big time Bodhisattvas, so not amateurs! :p ) Does the lay person Vimalakirti truly "best" them at the end? Here are some good examples of what the Bodhisattvas said:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At that time Vimalakirti said to the various bodhisattvas, "Sirs, how does the bodhisattva go about entering the doorway of nondualism? Let each one explain as he understands it."

One of the bodhisattvas in the assembly, whose name was Dharma Freedom, spoke these words: "Sirs, birth and extinction form a dualism. But since all dharmas are not born to begin with, they must now be without extinction. By grasping and learning to accept this truth of birthlessness, one may enter the gate of nondualism."

The bodhisattva Virtue Guardian said, "'I' and 'mine' form a dualism. Because there is an 'I', there is also a 'mine.' But if there is no 'I,' there will be no 'mine.' In this way one enters the gate of nondualism." ...

The bodhisattva Universal Guardian said, "'I' and 'not-I' form a dualism. But when one cannot grasp even 'I,' how can one grasp 'not-I'? One who has seen into the true nature of 'I' will no longer give rise to these two concepts, and in this way enter the gate of nondualism." ...

The bodhisattva Virtue Peak said, "Defilement and purity form a dualism. But if one sees into the true nature of defilement, it is without the marks of purity but leads into the extinction of all marks. In this way one enters the gate of nondualism." ...

The bodhisattva Good Constellation said, "The stirring of the mind and thought-these two form a dualism. But if the mind is not stirred, then there will be. no thought. And if there is no thought, there will be no discrimination. The one who has thoroughly mastered this may in this way enter the gate of nondualism." ...

The bodhisattva Pushyal said, "Good and not good form a dualism. But if one does not call up either good or not good but enters into the realm of the formless and truly masters it, in this way one may enter the gate of nondualism."

The bodhisattva Lion said, "Blame and blessing form a dualism. But if one penetrates the true nature of blame, it is no different from blessing. When one can dispose of forms with this diamondlike wisdom, neither bound nor liberated, one may in this way enter the gate of nondualism." ...

The bodhisattva Lion Will said, "Presence of outflows of passion and absence of such outflows constitute a dualism. But if one can grasp the fact that all dharmas are equal, then one will not give rise to the concept of outflows or no outflows. One will not be attached to form nor dwell in formlessness either. In this way one may enter the gate of nondualism." ...

The bodhisattva Good Will said, "The realm of birth and death and that of nirvana form a dualism. But if one sees the true nature of birth and death, one sees that there is no birth or death, no binding, no unbinding, no birth, no extinction. One who understands in this way may thereby enter the gate of nondualism." ...

The bodhisattva Lightning God said, "Enlightenment and ignorance form a dualism. But the true nature of ignorance is none other than enlightenment. And enlightenment cannot be seized, but is apart from all enumerations. One dwells in the center, in the equality without dualism, and in this way enters the gate of nondualism." ...

The bodhisattva Joyful Seeing said, "Form and the emptiness of form constitute a dualism. But form is none other than emptiness; emptiness does not represent the extinction of form. Form is itself empty by nature. ...

The bodhisattva Merit Field said, "To speak of meritorious deeds, blameful deeds, and deeds that call forth no retribution is dualistic. The true nature of all three kinds of deeds is empty. And if it is empty, then there are no meritorious deeds, no blameful deeds, and no deeds that call forth no retribution. One who does not rouse any thought of distinctions with regard to these three types of deeds may thereby enter the gate of nondualism." ...

The bodhisattva Virtue Storehouse said, "To suppose that there is some form or object that one can acquire is dualistic. But if one realizes that there is nothing to be acquired, then there will be no grasping and no rejecting. And when there is no grasping and no rejecting, one may in this way enter the gate of nondualism." ...

The bodhisattva Treasure Sign said, "To yearn for nirvana and not delight in the world constitutes a dualism. But if one does not yearn for nirvana and does not loathe the world, there will be no dualism. Why? If there is binding, there will be un-binding. But if there is no binding to begin with, who will seek to be unbound? And where there is no binding and unbinding, there will be no yearning and no loathing, and in this way one may enter the gate of nondualism."

The bodhisattva Jewel Crowned King said, "The correct way and the erroneous way constitute a dualism. But one who dwells in the correct way does not make distinctions, saying 'This is erroneous!' or 'This is correct!' By removing oneself from both, one may thereby enter the gate of nondualism."

Then Manjushri said to Vimalakirti, "Each of us has given an explanation. Now, sir, it is your turn to speak. How does the bodhisattva enter the gate of nondualism?"

At that time Vimalakirti remained silent and did not speak a word.

Manjushri sighed and said, "Excellent, excellent! Not a word, not a syllable-this truly is to enter the gate of nondualism!"

When this chapter on Entering the Gate of Nondualism was preached, five thousand bodhisattvas in the assembly were all able to enter the gate of nondualism and to learn to accept the truth of birthlessness.

http://lirs.ru/lib/sutra/The_Vimalakirti_Sutra,Watson,1997.html

Jundo
Our dance today, in honor of Vimalakirti's Doorway, is by "The Doors" ...

... and is their (perhaps deservedly forgotten) song from 1972 (two years AFTER Jim Morrison's passing) ...

https://youtu.be/ulb0Ls6rkhQ

... Get Up And Dance ...

... with (almost) profound and (kinda) Zenlike lyrics such as ...

... No need to worry, no need to hide
Everybody is on the same side
Oh people, get up and dance ...

The Bodhisattvas in our reading this week would point out that there is no "other" side, thus no place or need to hide! [monk]

Like walking along an electric beam
It's the old crystal palace dream
The future's ours if we just take a chance
No need to hurry, but no time to waste

The Bodhisattvas preach that all is a dream as we walk along life's electric beam ...

... for time is a dream, no place to go, so how can we hurry and what waste can be seen? :buddha:

(No, Jim Morrison did not write those lyrics, for sure. :neglected: )

DID I BLOW YOUR MIND? [toomuch]

Gassho, J

STLah

houst0n
05-06-2022, 09:22 AM
See you tonight folks!

Gassho,
./sat --lah
Neil

Bion
05-06-2022, 11:24 AM
See you all later! Such a joy when this day of the week comes!!! [emoji1374] [emoji1319][emoji3526]

[emoji1374] Sat Today

Onkai
05-07-2022, 03:09 AM
Thank you, everyone, so lovely to practice together. Bion, the chanting and bells were beautiful. Jundo, the talk opened my mind.

Gassho,
Onkai
Sat/lah

Bion
05-07-2022, 03:13 AM
Thank you, everyone, so lovely to practice together. Bion, the chanting and bells were beautiful. Jundo, the talk opened my mind.

Gassho,
Onkai
Sat/lah

You and Nengei made me happy today! More than you all usually do every week! [emoji3526] Thanks for the lovely compliment!

[emoji1374] Sat Today

Nengei
05-07-2022, 03:29 AM
Wonderful job, Bion! You're hired!

Gassho,
遜道念芸 Nengei
Sat today. LAH.

houst0n
05-07-2022, 06:53 AM
Thanks everyone :)

Gassho,
Neil

Jundo
05-07-2022, 07:06 AM
As I mentioned sometimes today, the melody for the Sandokai (Identity of Relative and Absolute) in English which we chant was developed by the great engaged Buddhist Bernie Glassman Roshi of the White Plum, inspired by the first few opening bars of Fiddler on the Roof! [smile]

https://youtu.be/dvWbXdCmDLI

I understand that he wished to have something more appropriate to the cadence of English than the traditional Japanese style, heard in the first few minutes here, rather tricky to chant or to match with the English wording and syllable breaks:

https://youtu.be/T9mnRE6P7Nk

Gassho, J

STLah

Jundo
05-07-2022, 09:23 AM
Sorry for the Hokey Pokey dancing confusion ...

Apparently, you guys could hear the music at home, but we could not in the Zendo.

Will figure that mystery out by next month.

In any case ... it was good!

Gassho, J

STLah

Anchi
05-07-2022, 03:32 PM
That was very lovely! Thank you everyone.gassho2

Gassho
Anchi

Nengyoku
05-07-2022, 06:13 PM
Thank you everyone for sitting together, lovely as always gassho2

Thank you Bion for your beautiful music gassho2

Gassho,
Nengyoku
Sat

JudyE
05-11-2022, 04:29 AM
Sat with you all Sunday and Monday (recording). Thank so much, everyone!

Gassho,
Judy
Sat/lah

Seishin
05-16-2022, 06:20 AM
Sat last week on demand but neglected to offer thanks to everyone.

I don't have a lot to say these days but wanted to say a special thank you to Bion for his Ino services these last two weeks and for his wonderful Hear Sutra. Deep bows. [monk]

Sat for peace.

Bion
05-17-2022, 02:05 PM
Sat last week on demand but neglected to offer thanks to everyone.

I don't have a lot to say these days but wanted to say a special thank you to Bion for his Ino services these last two weeks and for his wonderful Hear Sutra. Deep bows. [monk]

Sat for peace.

Thank you so very much! I really appreciate you! [emoji1374] [emoji2309]

[emoji1374] Sat Today