PDA

View Full Version : To You

Kaishin
09-25-2021, 06:25 PM
Hello Friends,

Just a heads up, the Kindle version of To You by Kodo Sawaki (edited by Rev Muho, former abbot of Antaiji) is now available. The paperback will follow on 1 October.

ISBN ‎1942493703

Most of the text is available on Antaiji's site already, but it's nice to have it compiled into one volume.

For those unfamiliar, Kodo Sawaki is a "Dharma Grandfather" of Jundo's, having been one of Nishijima Roshi's teachers. He is known for his pithy commentary and fiery wit.

This volume makes a nice companion to Discovering the True Self (Ed. Arthur Braverman) and The Zen Teachings of Homeless Kodo (Ed. Shohaku Okumura)

Gassho,
SatToday

Risho
09-25-2021, 08:36 PM
oooo nice! I’m getting the physical copy; I read e-books but I’m still old school or just old lol

gassho

risho
-stlah

Kaishin
09-25-2021, 08:45 PM
Heh, I use both as well. Ebooks are great for searching, scaling font size, annotations, etc. But I enjoy the feel of a book in the hands, and these days it's a nice break from digital screens.

-sT

Jundo
09-26-2021, 01:56 AM
For those unfamiliar, Kodo Sawaki is a "Dharma Grandfather" of Jundo's, having been one of Nishijima Roshi's teachers. He is known for his pithy commentary and fiery wit.

Hi Kaishin,

I echo all that you wrote, but I need to clarify the above. Homeless Kodo Sawaki was informally Nishijima Roshi's first teacher, from the late 1930s, but Nishijima was not Ordained by, nor received Dharma Transmission, from him, so he is not my "Dharma Grandparent." Nishijima Roshi was Ordained, and received Dharma Transmission, from Rempo Niwa Zenji, who was to be the Abbot of Dogen's Temple, Eiheiji, and later the head priest of the Soto-shu.

However, Sawaki Roshi was a lifelong influence and inspiration to Nishijima Roshi, and remains so for us here.

And everyone should read those books at some point. Kodo Sawaki was a "tell it like it is," grew up on the wrong side of the tracks, take no guff, pull no punches treasure for us all.

https://wisdomexperience.org/product/zen-teaching-homeless-kodo/

Gassho, Jundo

SatTodayLAH

Sorry to run long.

Kaishin
10-14-2021, 01:55 PM
Muho has just posted a video with some more information about the book and its history:

https://youtu.be/ZFFh6Fka09w

-sTLaH
Gassho,

Risho
10-14-2021, 01:57 PM
The thing is constantly out of stock on Amazon, and I blame you :D

Gassho

Risho
-stlah

Shokai
10-14-2021, 09:31 PM
same thing happened with hislast book. Slow out of the gate

Gassho, Shokai
stlah

Nengei
10-15-2021, 10:08 PM
Just FYI, the book is in stock at Hohm Press, the publisher, and you can purchase it directly from them if other distributors are out of stock.

Gassho,
然芸 Nengei
Sat today. LAH.

Jundo
10-16-2021, 12:06 AM
Just FYI, the book is in stock at Hohm Press, the publisher, and you can purchase it directly from them if other distributors are out of stock.

Gassho,
然芸 Nengei
Sat today. LAH.

But maybe if we buy it through Amazon, Mr. Bezos will fly Muho to space? :p

Gassho, J

STLah

Bion
10-16-2021, 12:12 AM

Gassho, J

STLah

Muho says: “nah.. I’m good!” [emoji1787]

[emoji1374] SatToday

Risho
10-16-2021, 11:50 AM

Gassho, J

STLah

hahahahaha

Gassho,

Risho
-stlah

Risho
11-02-2021, 03:33 PM
ok so just to provide an update - it's being personally delivered by Mr Bezos this evening :D

Gassho

Risho
-stlah

Kaishin
11-03-2021, 01:02 PM
:) I pre-ordered months in advance, and still only received it last week! It's a nice pocket-sized book. The spine on mine arrived already splitting away. At first I was annoyed, then I could just here ol' Sawaki Roshi in my head...

To You Who is Worried About Damaged Books
-- Idiot! You are worried about the spine of your book falling apart? Your own spine is also falling apart! Now what?!
😁

-stlah

Risho
11-03-2021, 01:07 PM
hahhahha

Gassho

Risho
-stlah

Jundo
11-03-2021, 01:09 PM
-- Idiot! You are worried about the spine of your book falling apart? Your own spine is also falling apart! Now what?!
��

-stlah

:p

Doshin
11-03-2021, 01:32 PM
:) I pre-ordered months in advance, and still only received it last week! It's a nice pocket-sized book. The spine on mine arrived already splitting away. At first I was annoyed, then I could just here ol' Sawaki Roshi in my head...

��

-stlah

What I spent good money on a new book that has yet to arrive and now I learn it’s falling apart![morehappy]

Doshin
St

Getchi
11-03-2021, 03:59 PM
To say these are important, is negligible.

The way they speak is paramount.

Please read.

LaH
SatToday

Geoff.