PDA

View Full Version : Squabbling Squashes!

Kokuu
06-22-2021, 03:38 PM
Dear all

I just heard about a Zen children's book co-written by Shohaku Okumura (author of 'Living by Vow' and 'Realizing Genjokoan') called Squabbling Squashes, and thought it might be of interest to parents of younger children here.

I haven't read yet it so can't comment on whether it is good or not but am guessing that Okumura's involvement means that it will be good on the Zen part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVj-Ot-Cnh0

Whether it will replace Jon Muth's Zen Shorts (https://www.waterstones.com/book/zen-shorts-pb/jon-j-muth/jon-j-muth/9780702310126) as my favourite ever children's Zen book remains to be seen!

Gassho
Kokuu
-sattoday/lah-

Inshin
06-22-2021, 07:44 PM
Brilliant! Thank you for both recommendations.

:)

Gassho
Sat

Shōnin Risa Bear
06-22-2021, 08:30 PM
It is based on a story often told by his teacher, Kosho Uchiyama, and makes an excellent point! _()_ _()_ _()_

gassho
ds st/lah today

Juki
06-22-2021, 10:30 PM
I imagine that Zen practice teaches them how to squash their squabbles. Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Gassho,
Juki

sat today and lah

Gareth
06-23-2021, 07:48 AM
Thank you for sharing this, and Zen Shorts! I wasn’t aware there were childrens’ Zen books.

Gassho,
Gareth

Sat today

Seikan
06-23-2021, 12:39 PM
Thanks for this Kokuu! I'll have to look for this one sooner than later.

John Muth's books are big favorites in our house—which partially explains why my family puts up with me. Maybe they're hoping that I'll turn into a panda like Stillwater... ;)

Gassho,
Seikan

-stlah-

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Bokugan
06-28-2021, 04:27 PM
I really enjoyed the story this is based on (from Opening the Hand of Thought). I do not have children, but love a good children's book :) -- I will be sure to check this out! Maybe our local public library will end up getting a copy if I put it on their radar.

Gassho,

Ryan
SatToday

Hōkan
06-28-2021, 05:27 PM
I look forward to my local (very good) library getting a copy of Squabbling Squashes. In the meanwhile I checked out and read the lovely Zen Shorts and I am now a Stillwater fan!

When I was checking out Zen Shorts the librarian who helped me averred that it was a favorite of theirs and mentioned that they were educated at Naropa University. Not all that many Buddhists in my area so it was nice to meet one.

Sat (and heading to the cushion in just moments to sit again).

Kokuu
06-28-2021, 05:30 PM
When I was checking out Zen Shorts the librarian who helped me averred that it was a favorite of theirs and mentioned that they were educated at Naropa University. Not all that many Buddhists in my area so it was nice to meet one.

That is lovely to hear, Hokan! I love when chance encounters like that happen. Stillwater has a habit of bringing people together! [morehappy]

Gassho
Kokuu
-sattoday/lah-

Shokai
06-29-2021, 12:12 AM
Received it in the mail today. Wonderful book. Very well presented and clearly written.
gassho,shokai
stlah

Heiso
07-05-2021, 03:34 PM
Oooh, I'll be ordering this. Surely my wife's 'no new books' policy doesn't apply to 'kids' books, right?

Gassho,

Heiso

StLah

Kokuu
07-05-2021, 04:43 PM
I think that is a definite work-around, Heiso! ;)

Gassho
Kokuu

Kaisui
07-05-2021, 09:47 PM
Oh lovely, I didn't know about these. Thank you Kokuu and all. I have ordered a copy of Zen Shorts to begin with. I am wondering if children's books may be an easier way to introduce anyone, including adults, to Zen concepts? I will see when it arrives!

Gassho,
Charity
sat