PDA

View Full Version : "One Bright Pearl"

StoBird
05-12-2021, 11:08 AM
What is this "One Bright Pearl" Dogen kept ranting and raving about? Could it be a placeholder name for the wordless universe and all time past, present, and future beyond all duality that is realized and expressed in zazen?

Gassho,
Tom

SatLah

Jundo
05-12-2021, 11:27 AM
Sounds good to me.

Chapter 3 in a wonderful book (I know the author), Zen Master's Dance.

I recently received from my Dharma Bro. in Sweden, Fr. Gustav, a calligraphy by our teacher Nishijima which says "The whole world in the 10 directions is One Bright Pearl" ... (far left in the picture) ...

Gassho, J

STLah

StoBird
05-12-2021, 11:40 AM
Beautiful.

I think I remember that calligraphy from fr. Gustav's wonderful book 'My Christian Journey with Zen' (it is really one of the best and down to earth Zen books I've ever read, I recommend it for non-Christian and Christian alike)

I have a question for you Jundo: is the mystery author of 'Zen Master's Dance' planning an audiobook of said book? It would be great to listen to while chopping wood and carrying water.

Gassho,
Tom

SatLah

Risho
05-12-2021, 05:52 PM
It is such a good book Jundo; I agree with Tom; we need an audio version where you read it :)

Thst being said, I really enjoy reading, noting etc; good to have both versions hahaha

gassho

Risho
-stlah

Jundo
05-12-2021, 08:24 PM
I have a question for you Jundo: is the mystery author of 'Zen Master's Dance' planning an audiobook of said book?

Actually, funny you mention that, but I have been working with the great American Shakespearean actor, Sir Gilbert Gottfried, who is doing the reading. Here is the Genjo Koan chapter ...

https://youtu.be/slaPyr7jvgk

Just kidding. ;)

No, no plan right now. I am finishing up a sequel now, and will send to Wisdom for a look soon: The Zen Master Dance's On. It is about Dogen's view on graceful 'dancing' and decorum in living daily life.

Gassho, J

STLah