PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Hits - #1 The Blender! - Celebrating Treeleaf's 15th

Shoka
04-14-2021, 02:24 PM
It’s a classic, and probably one of the first videos most of us watched when we joined Treeleaf.

The first talk in the Beginner’s Series featured none-other than our favorite Blender and Jundo of course. The talk is actually called “Zazen for Beginners”, but everyone remembers it for the excellent use of something so simple to describe what is going on as you try to sit zazen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuuTeroo-s4

Use caution with your volume, this video has several loud noises.

The lesson can be found here:

https://www.treeleaf.org/forums/showthread.php?14895-Sit-a-Long-with-Jundo-Zazen-for-Beginners-%281%29

Do you remember when you first saw this video? Please share your memories of this hit.

Gassho,

Shoka
(she/her)
sat/lah

Tomás ESP
04-14-2021, 02:48 PM
I remember it very well! It's a banger[claps]. I watched this video some years ago before signing up and thought to myself: This is way too noisy, not for me, I'm looking for peace. Last year I rewatched it and I just couldn't help but laugh and then I decided to sign up, so good!

Gassho, Tomás
Sat&LaH

Bokucho
04-14-2021, 05:03 PM
Wow vintage! I watch this one every now and then, especially when I need a good reminder to maintain my beginner mind. After Jukai my brain told me that I'd "completed" Zen and could ease up, knowing full well that's not how it works. Always a pleasure to begin again, always look forward to it!

Gassho,

Bokuchō
SatToday/LaH

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Suuko
04-14-2021, 06:28 PM
Wow, I remember this video when I joined Treeleaf years back. Jundo and his sense of humor really struck me at that time. Happy birthday Treeleaf.

Gassho,
Sat today,
Guish.

Sent from my PAR-LX1M using Tapatalk

Bokugan
04-14-2021, 06:41 PM
"Use caution with your volume, this video has several loud noises."

Important advice! I believe I was wearing headphones when I first watched this. o_O

This video still comes to mind when I find a lot of monkeys have come to sit zazen with me, it is a great teaching and memorable delivery!

Gassho

Ryan
SatToday

Onkai
04-15-2021, 01:31 AM
This lesson helped ease me, with laughter, into a regular sitting practice. It was great to find out the noisy thoughts in my head were not a problem for zazen and would settle down, given the chance.

Gassho,
Onkai
Sat/lah

Shoki
04-15-2021, 02:09 PM
Yes, I remember this. I remember thinking that after all the book reading, studying, research, and discussion, sometimes a simple demonstration like this can really bring it all together.

Gassho
ST-lah
Shoki

Seikan
04-15-2021, 02:24 PM
The blender video was essentially my introduction to Treeleaf and Jundo's teaching style. With this one video, I knew I had found the right place for me.

And I've had no regrets (yet) about joining, but there's still plenty of time for regrets. ;)

Gassho,
Seikan

-stlah-

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Risho
04-15-2021, 08:43 PM
Yes, I remember this. I remember thinking that after all the book reading, studying, research, and discussion, sometimes a simple demonstration like this can really bring it all together.

Gassho
ST-lah
Shoki

hahaha yes! gassho2

Margherita
04-15-2021, 08:53 PM
Classic! I rememember i thought it was a downside idea and it helped!

Gassho,
Mags ST

Naiko
04-16-2021, 01:15 PM
“Oh, beginning zazen instruction. I need that. Wait, is that a BLENDER?!” And such was my introduction to Treeleaf and Jundo’s teaching style—gentle humor, approachable, direct and clear, relatable.
gassho2
Naiko
stlah

Seishin
04-16-2021, 02:22 PM
When I decided to return to Zen after years of absence but needed an online Sangha having left the UK for France, this video was the clincher for me. It just summed up life and my monkey mind in nano seconds and of course how to fix it! Bar one day Sep 18 2016, I have been sitting daily since I was accepted here on September 1st that year. And that blender is still sparking up each day but with sitting, its better managed.
[monk]

Sat

Kendrick
04-19-2021, 12:49 PM
I remember watching this series of videos when I joined. :) Great lessons! gassho1

Gassho
Kendrick
SAT/LAH

Ekai
04-20-2021, 11:55 AM
I loved this one. And so true lol!

Gassho,
Ekai

SAT

Heiso
04-20-2021, 01:32 PM
Ah yes, I know this one. Like many others, I saw this and knew I'd found something special.

Gassho,

Heiso
StLah

Roland
04-22-2021, 07:59 PM
The blender video is genius. I saw fancy apps such as Headspace do their very best to explain the same ideas, but really, nothing goes beyond the blender.

Gassho,

sat/lah

Roland

Kaisui
04-22-2021, 08:38 PM
“Oh, beginning zazen instruction. I need that. Wait, is that a BLENDER?!” And such was my introduction to Treeleaf and Jundo’s teaching style—gentle humor, approachable, direct and clear, relatable.
gassho2
Naiko
stlah

I have watched this video a couple of times or so now as I have gone away from here and come back to start again. I think Naiko's comment describes it perfectly about being an introduction to Treeleaf and Jundo's teaching style.

gassho2
Charity
STLaH