PDA

View Full Version : Book choice

Heisoku
03-04-2021, 11:01 AM
Gassho to all.
Has anyone a critical opinion about the book Being-Time by Shinshu Roberts? I am about to read it. Anything to be wary about?
Thanks in advance for your considerations.
Gassho Heisoku
STLA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kokuu
03-04-2021, 11:43 AM
Hi Heisoku

In my opinion it is okay but large parts of it I found not terribly clear in terms of explaining Dogen's view on time (which is laid out in his Uji fascicle of Shobogenzo). Other parts were good. I don't think that any of it is wrong, at least to my understanding, just unclear.

I read Katagiri Roshi's Each Moment is the Universe (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/309570.Each_Moment_Is_the_Universe) afterwards and found it to be far better.

That said, Being Time has a 4.47 rating on Goodreads so clearly it hit the spot for many people.

Gassho
Kokuu
-sattoday-

Heisoku
03-04-2021, 02:19 PM
Thanks Kokuu [emoji120]

Onkai
03-05-2021, 01:27 AM
Thank you, Heisoku, for this thread, and Kokuu, for recommending Katigiri's book, which looks like it will speak to some questions forming in how to approach my life. Uji is a confusing fascicle for me.

Gassho,
Onkai
Sat/lah

Risho
03-05-2021, 03:02 AM
Thank you, Heisoku, for this thread, and Kokuu, for recommending Katigiri's book, which looks like it will speak to some questions forming in how to approach my life. Uji is a confusing fascicle for me.

Gassho,
Onkai
Sat/lah

it’s confusing for everyone hahaha

gassho

risho
-stlah

Ryumon
03-05-2021, 09:51 AM
I tried to get through it once, and failed. I'll try again; probably fail again.

Gassho,

Ryūmon

sat

Heisoku
04-08-2021, 01:36 PM
Dear Kokuu and fellow Treeleafers.
I have now read the Katagiri book and can definitely recommend it.
If you need to have a ‘clear’ explication of being-time please sit Zazen then read this!
Katagiri speaks with humility, wisdom and from within Zazen. Wonderful!!!
Gassho
Heisoku
Satla